2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I agree. Ms. Koski was really friendly, and if it was a technical error it might not even be her domain. Even though I am frustrated, everyone also makes mistakes. This sucked, but I'd feel terrible if she lost her job for it.
I agree, everyone makes mistakes.

What wasn't a mistake is their handling of this situation. I 100% doubt she had a say in how it was handled.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh no. God, no. I told everyone! I sent the screenshot of my acceptance. We already planned a party tonight. Sweet Jesus, why? My acceptance was rescinded. I withdrew other offers that were “below” Mayo in my priority list. Why didn’t I look on here first? What the hell is this? If I don’t get accepted, I won’t be going to medical school anymore.

You really do have grounds to sue the school

Reactions: 8 users
I agree, everyone makes mistakes.

What wasn't a mistake is their handling of this situation. I 100% doubt she had a say in how it was handled.
If anyone should be fired it should be Dr. Fisher. Unacceptable to allow this to progress unaddressed for 3.5 hours. But alas, the powerful will of course emerge unscathed.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no. God, no. I told everyone! I sent the screenshot of my acceptance. We already planned a party tonight. Sweet Jesus, why? My acceptance was rescinded. I withdrew other offers that were “below” Mayo in my priority list. Why didn’t I look on here first? What the hell is this? If I don’t get accepted, I won’t be going to medical school anymore.

OH lord. I would email the school ASAP, CC your lawyer (if you wanna do it), and then call the school directly.
This is terrible. My word.

• Sad
Hi, I'm Michael Barbaro and THIS is the Daily.

Today...hundreds of medical school applicants learned they were accepted to the prestigious Mayo Clinic. But...the acceptances were...a mistake.

This is quality content

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Can you email your other offers ASAP and explain the miscommunication from the Mayo admissions office? Say something like “you were hoping to free up a spot for another student since Mayo was one of your top choices”. It might be worth a shot before they process your withdrawal.

I would call tbh. I had to do this earlier for an interview that I withdrew . It's an absolutely insane situation and it warrants some leniency on their end. They were pretty understanding.

Reactions: 14 users
I would call tbh. I had to do this earlier for an interview that I withdrew . It's an absolutely insane situation and it warrants some leniency on their end. They were pretty understanding.

What was the result of the convo?

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how many lawsuits Mayo is going to get hit with for being not only incompetent, but also criminally callous and uncaring regarding every single applicant who applied there. Reading this, my key takeaway is Mayo doesn't give a single f*** about anyone who applies to their school. Wouldn't be surprised if the school is equally toxic to its administration with this debacle.

Days since last SDN riot: 0

Tune back in tomorrow, folks!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3p4u3e.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Jesus Christ, this is like the worst case scenario of how Mayo's F- up could screw someone else. Call both mayo and the schools you withdrew from IMMEDIATELY!! Explain the situation fully. Maybe Mayo can help you get your A back if the other schools don't accept.

That is what I would do at least. And if they don't give you your As back, you prob do have grounds for "damages caused" to sue Mayo.

Reactions: 15 users
I wonder how many lawsuits Mayo is going to get hit with for being not only incompetent, but also criminally callous and uncaring regarding every single applicant who applied there. Reading this, my key takeaway is Mayo doesn't give a single f*** about anyone who applies to their school. Wouldn't be surprised if the school is equally toxic to its administration with this debacle.

You might be able to make a case for Promissory Estoppel (see https://aaronhall.com/estoppel-law-in-minnesota/#Promissory_Estoppel for the relevant Minnesota statute), but only if you took some kind of action like withdrawing from everywhere else. However, I'm sure that somewhere in their policy which everyone agreed to at some point is a statement that acceptance can be rescinded at any point for any reason. Also, I'm obviously not a lawyer so this could be totally off-base.

Anyone still have the acceptance tab?
Yes, I do. I also have an option on the left side called "Letter" where it shows the supposed acceptance letter (which was different from the automated email that was sent out) and it is addressed to me using my first and last name. Did everyone else have this too?

You might be able to make a case for Promissory Estoppel (see https://aaronhall.com/estoppel-law-in-minnesota/#Promissory_Estoppel for the relevant Minnesota statute), but only if you took some kind of action like withdrawing from everywhere else. However, I'm sure that somewhere in their policy which everyone agreed to at some point is a statement that acceptance can be rescinded at any point for any reason. Also, I'm obviously not a lawyer so this could be totally off-base.
That’s essentially what gonnif said in another thread about it. Even if you did get lawyers to take the case, that clause in their handbook or whatever online document you may have signed will hold up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus Christ, this is like the worst case scenario of how Mayo's F- up could screw someone else. Call both mayo and the schools you withdrew from IMMEDIATELY!! Explain the situation fully. Maybe Mayo can help you get your A back if the other schools don't accept.

That is what I would do at least. And if they don't give you your As back, you prob do have grounds for "damages caused" to sue Mayo.
But if they wait and Delete their SDN account and let this go on for a few days legally they might be in a better position. Mayo better be calling not just emailing people to cover their ass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

But if they wait and Delete their SDN account and let this go on for a few days legally they might be in a better position. Mayo better be calling not just emailing people to cover their ass.

Why would deleting strengthen their position?

Hi, I'm Michael Barbaro and THIS is the Daily.

Today...hundreds of medical school applicants learned they were accepted to the prestigious Mayo Clinic. But...the acceptances were...a mistake.
just have to say mayo medical school aint the same Mayo Clinic.

Last edited:
Why would deleting strengthen their position?
So they would have to sue for damages and well if they knew with in 5 minutes because of coming on here. How could these potential damages have occurred?

hi, been inactive for a while, but just wanted to chip in - i have a friend who was accepted (as her very first) and had her acceptance rescinded. when she got the email, she pulled herself off of two waitlists. she's still in the process of getting back on them (should be no issue), but my question is, is it possible that those schools may see her as a lower priority/less willing to go to their school now, and may be less inclined to pull her off the waitlist?

Reactions: 2 users
Here are the NYT tips lines
email: [email protected]
whatsapp: +1 646 951 4771

It wouldn't hurt to try, maybe even make this a segue for a conversation about how messed up this process has become.

I mean, sdn is pretty anonymous.

Attorney: "Mr. Jello, were you aware of the proceedings on SDN at the time they occurred?"
Me: "What's SDN?"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
First the Iowa Caucus app and now this, how many more technical glitches can society endure?

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Just sent them an email withdrawing my application. I know not everyone is in a position to do that, but if you do have options, I'd think about what this whole mess says about Mayo's treatment of their applicants and students. Mistakes happen (even if this one was awful), but the second email that didn't even apologize was the last straw. Fingers crossed that everyone here ends up at a great school for them, whether that's Mayo or somewhere else

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 57 users
Just sent them an email withdrawing my application. I know not everyone is in a position to do that, but if you do have options, I'd think about what this whole mess says about Mayo's treatment of their applicants and students. Mistakes happen (even if this one was awful), but the second email that didn't even apologize was the last straw. Fingers crossed that everyone here ends up at a great school for them, whether that's Mayo or somewhere else

Yes, can we PLEASE put this school on blast? Applicants are already downtrodden so much, schools shouldn't be able to get away with such disgusting, immoral, unconscionable behavior. This is not acceptable and a decision to do nothing is us condoning similar treatment happening every following year.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

While I strongly agree with all of this sentiment, I'm not sure how much of this is legally actionable. IIRC schools have the right to rescind offers at any time :(

As a prior applicant and current resident, my heart is breaking for y’all. Glitches with the admissions software (AMACS and AMP) are common, but schools like Mayo and Columbia have gotten the brunt of it over the past couple of years. During my cycle, applicants had to send in paper applications and unofficial transcripts to schools like Mayo, Yale, and Johns Hopkins because of AMCAS glitches.

Given the sheer number of people who received the email, my suspicion is that the emails went out to everyone in the system without discriminating between people who were going to be accepted, highly ranked/waitlisted, or going to be rejected. The fact that they have rescinded the emails means that they are trying to get back to square zero and get back to the process as it normally proceeds.

Basically, the previous email does not indicate anything about your acceptance/rejection/waitlist or likelihood of either. They’re probably still figuring out what even happened and when. If I were any applicant in the system, I would wait until other emails are sent to clarify where you stand.

Unpopular opinion time: I don't think it's fair to drastically change your opinion of the school based on this incident. Suggesting that this mistake means you would be treated poorly as a student does not make sense. Sure, that email could have been more apologetic, but we live in an incredibly litigious society (people are already jumping on the idea of suing Mayo over this), so of course they're going to spend time consulting with attorneys before releasing any statements and before doing anything that could admit culpability.

I'm sure that the people in the Admissions Office feel terrible about the mistake. At least for me, this incident does not change the fact that every interaction I had at Mayo was very positive. Yes, this day has been an emotional roller coaster, and I feel for everyone that is in this situation, but I think it's best to give this some time before jumping to emotional conclusions.

Reactions: 12 users
I know admissions is absolutely sorry and devastated that this happened. At around 2:30pm/3:00 pm, there were a couple of urgent intercom calls and there was a flurry of physicians going to the conference room. It must have taken them until then to figure out something widespread had happened. They’re still trying to figure out what even happened, who was contacted, and when this all happened. The admissions teams are working and other physicians are covering for them until they get this sorted out. Everyone in the entire hospital, admissions, residents, current students, and physicians, are incredibly sorry about this.

• Dislike
Reactions: 10 users
I know admissions is absolutely sorry and devastated that this happened. At around 2:30pm/3:00 pm, there were a couple of urgent intercom calls and there was a flurry of physicians going to the conference room. It must have taken them until then to figure out something widespread had happened. They’re still trying to figure out what even happened, who was contacted, and when this all happened. The admissions teams are working and other physicians are covering for them until they get this sorted out. Everyone in the entire hospital, admissions, residents, current students, and physicians, are incredibly sorry about this.
Then why didn’t they express any of those emotions in their email to current applicants?

• Care
Reactions: 22 users

Was this all really related to the email fiasco of today?

Edit: Also, clearly everyone has been "ranked", the adcom office has seen all the "LOIs" etc, people's names are sitting on a list somewhere. Can you provide any insight into why schools wait and give As in dribbles. Wouldn't you say it's unnecessary and just only adds anxiety? :-(

• Haha
They also wont pick up the phone lol whats thr point of giving them numbers???

• Haha
their email title should've read "your appointment has been cancelled, please call for a new one."

Let's hear that from them. Does not look good that a medical student. who has no blame in this, apologized before any of them.

I would say we deserve to know everything that happened, including the nitty-gritty and details. But knowing how this process works, we don't. And this isn't an issue at Mayo specifically, it is this whole power-imbalanced process. The most we get will be a generic apology to save face or deter legal action and a vague statement regarding what happened. I think it's even questionable whether we're going to get that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got confirmation from someone on the admissions committee that this morning the application software, AMP, sent out acceptance emails to everyone who interviewed on the Minnesota campus or for the MN/FL 2+2 campus. This happened without admissions or Mayo's knowledge. The admissions committee only found out because of SDN (i.e. the delayed response from admissions).

Final decisions have NOT been finalized meaning the email is NOT tied to being accepted, rejected or waitlisted already. Individuals will be reaching out to apologize once everything is sorted out. I can only imagine how ****ty it is to be put through this situation. I can only hope that you all will still consider Mayo despite this error. This place is really special and I know everyone feels horrible about what happened!

• Hmm
They have started calling each applicant that may have been sent an email individually. They're apparently still trying to get the full list of names that AMP sent emails to. :(
I don't want a call at this point unless it's an acceptance.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
*Checks to see if this situation is on twitter*
PTSD - Mayo Clinic :(

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 4.40.04 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users