2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mayo is an amazing program; however, it is difficult to lend too much pity to those who were erroneously accepted here but were genuinely accepted to other, amazingly out-of-reach for most, T-10 programs. When your backup schools are Northwestern and Stanford, you'll find a way to push through this mishap.
You know, I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. I am fortunate enough to have some great other options, but I think it’s bad taste to tell people they don’t deserve to be upset after being erroneous accepted to their dream school. No matter how good their backup is.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo is an amazing program; however, it is difficult to lend too much pity to those who were erroneously accepted here but were genuinely accepted to other, amazingly out-of-reach for most, T-10 programs. When your backup schools are Northwestern and Stanford, you'll find a way to push through this mishap.
Some of us dont have back ups, withdrew from.other schools, or had mayo as our #1. Its a bit unsympathetic towards those people. The vast majority of applicants dont have mutiole t10 As.

Reactions: 12 users
To be completely fair. On the call they said if you had withdrawn from other schools bc of the notification, or something else happened, they were willing to help.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys, I’m a current Mayo student. Very sorry to hear about the confusion! Disclaimer that I’m not affiliated with the admin or admissions office. But from what I’ve heard from classmates who are, there was a big glitch in the AMP system that caused everyone to receive the same erroneous message. They only became aware of this when somebody noticed the reaction on Reddit/SDN. Receiving the erroneous email DOES NOT mean you have been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted—those determinations are yet to come. I just walked by the staff office (current MN time 7:00PM) and noticed everyone still there, presumably making calls and trying to make things right (as much as can be). I can imagine how stressful this is for you (happened with another school during my cycle), but I hope that with patience and a little time, we can get some clarity for all of you applicants who worked so hard. The initial email response to the error, from what I understand, was not some carefully crafted message—at that time, the scope of the error had not been realized and it was intended as a quick FYI. Mayo truly is a family that cares for all of its members, applicants included—I wouldn’t be here in freezing MN otherwise! The staff is doing its best to make it right, so please bear with them. Hope this gets sorted out soon for you guys!

To be completely fair. On the call they said if you had withdrawn from other schools bc of the notification, or something else happened, they were willing to help.

How were they going to help? LOL what a joke

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Got the call, I’m on the WL. Student was very apologetic and asked whether I’d made any decisions at other schools regarding this and if so, they’d be doing everything to rectify the situation. What a day.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call, I’m on the WL. Student was very apologetic and asked whether I’d made any decisions at other schools regarding this and if so, they’d be doing everything to rectify the situation. What a day.
What can they even do?? That’s such a joke

Do they also send Rs or is everyone just WL’ed —(if not an A)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gut feeling is they just waitlisted everybody now. I bet no R's will go out. Its a move to save face

• Sad
  • Angry
Also, I don't wanna be too neurotic, but could you guys let us know if you received the highly interested email? I'm curious how much weight this really has. If they really send it to hundreds of people, that's cruel

I was told high priority. And he said it’s about 30-50% chance getting off of it.
Interesting I was told the same just without "high priority" unless I missed it

Reactions: 1 user
Also I was WL without a highly interested email FYI

• Sad
Also, my interviewer sounded dead inside lol. Poor guy has probably read the same script 100 times already

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I'm starting to think the "high priority" may just be variation in wording bw callers if several of us got the 1/3-1/2 thing without the high priority part?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm starting to think the "high priority" may just be variation in wording bw callers if several of us got the 1/3-1/2 thing without the high priority part?

I got the "half our class gets off wait list" . That doesn't necessarily mean 50% chance of getting off WL tho

Reactions: 7 users
I got the "half our class gets off wait list" . That doesn't necessarily mean 50% chance of getting off WL tho
So are they just WLing everyone? :((

Was called by a Phoenix area code, didn't answer. Left a voicemail and I was WL'd, also told the 30-50% thing and I got a highly interested email. Good luck all!

Reactions: 6 users
I second this was told the same thing

Was called by a Phoenix area code, didn't answer. Left a voicemail and I was WL'd, also told the 30-50% thing and I got a highly interested email. Good luck all!

Wow, you received an email directly from your interviewer as well, right?

Hey everyone, just made an account to update y’all of my situation. WL after getting a call from Arizona (applied only to MN). No high interest letter. They said 10-30% will get off of it most likely.

Just got a call, WL, I heard 30-50% but no high priority.

Reactions: 3 users
Got the call. I was told that I am on the Alternate List. She did not say anything about "high priority." I did receive the highly interested email last month.

• Wow
Just got called, put on alternative list. I was told alternative list and WL are the same thing. Was also told 1/3 to 1/2 of the class comes off the WL. Meant to ask how many people are put on the WL but forgot.

EDIT: Did receive a highly interested email

• Wow
I was told high priority. And he said it’s about 30-50% chance getting off of it.

The person who called me also said 30-50% chance of getting in but she called it the alternate list

Did anyone who was called get the phone # from their caller that they said we could use if we had questions/concerns? You can PM me if you want

So does this mean all acceptances have likely already gone out?

Yes. It is. I am fortunate to have other options, but I feel bad for others who might not have them.
I still can’t believe their admissions office didn’t realize what had happened until people started posting on SDN. What if people didn’t share their acceptances here? Would 600 people have just shown up to orientation before they figured out something went wrong? How incredibly disorganized... if y’all are paying $100 to have your apps reviewed, some basic QC should be expected

Reactions: 5 users
Called— WL (like everyone loll) was also told “1/3-1/2” of the class comes off the waitlist but not that there was 1/3-1/2 chance that I am getting off it

Reactions: 4 users
Called— WL (like everyone loll) was also told “1/3-1/2” of the class comes off the waitlist but not that there was 1/3-1/2 chance that I am getting off it
I think people just misheard. It was that amount of the class comes from WL, not a 50% chance lol

Called and WL also! She said 1/3 to 1/2 of the class comes from WL. Goodluck to everyone!