2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Medical College at Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Rising M2 here!! Was a non-traditional reapplicant, just for background info. Feel free to ask any questions as I am on summer break right now. Once classes start in August, it may take me a few days to get back to you but I will respond as soon as I can.

Good luck this cycle! ☺️

He
Rising M2 here!! Was a non-traditional reapplicant, just for background info. Feel free to ask any questions as I am on summer break right now. Once classes start in August, it may take me a few days to get back to you but I will respond as soon as I can.

Good luck this cycle! ☺
Hey, thanks for taking questions! Do you have any experience with the global health track here?

Members don't see this ad :)
He

Hey, thanks for taking questions! Do you have any experience with the global health track here?
I don’t have too much info on that Pathway as I chose a different one. It was one of the ones I was narrowing down to, but ultimately, I decided to join the Global Health Student Org and to choose a different Pathway. What I do know is that the Global Health Pathway involves various activities that in the past have included natural disaster mock scenarios and helping students link up with mentors abroad for their Pathway project (even if not going abroad). You also DON’T have to be in the Global Health Pathway to apply to be a Kohler Scholar, if that was something on your bucket list.

That’s all I really know about that Pathway, sorry. But the first few weeks you attend sessions on Thursdays to get to know what each Pathway is about in order to select one. I would also recommend asking questions to students already in that Pathway. Don’t be afraid to ask about the time commitment or anything. These are things you need to know in order to make an informed decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if what you select for your "intended area of practice" effects the way your application is viewed or not?

Reactions: 1 users
Based on last year...
“Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals. (2000 characters)”

They deadass want a diversity and a why us essay in 2000 characters?! How do y’all go about approaching this.

Based on last year...
“Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals. (2000 characters)”

They deadass want a diversity and a why us essay in 2000 characters?! How do y’all go about approaching this.
It was 3000 characters when I applied, but I could take the first paragraph of my essay and it would still function the same. Secondaries are about being succinct and effective with what you choose to say. (Not saying this is something you don’t already know, but it’s part of what they’re looking to see in your skills at addressing the topic while still getting who you are across.) It takes lots and lots of editing. I first wrote down everything I wanted to get across and cut from there. And cut again. And again.

Also, kill two birds with one stone. Find something that makes MCW unique and how that fits with who you are. I tied in my experience with an internship at a police department and seeing interprofessionalism between the officers and medical staff when admitting mandatory psych patients and emergencies. MCW incorporates interprofessionalism into the curriculum and so I tailored my essay to that. Got to plug my unique internship and still hit how MCW will help develop those skills. Gotta get creative and good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
On MCW's secondary, "Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any offense (in addition to criminal activity that you may have already reported on your AMCAS application)?":

Are they specifically asking about criminal convictions here or IAs?

@RheumyArthritic, thank you for your post. I have a general question:

Is the Milwaukee location the only campus with a 4-year curriculum? Is a 3-year curriculum the only option at the GB and Cent Wis locations?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 5/31, secondary received 7/1! Best of luck everyone!

So when we get 2000 characters to provide any additional details to the boxes we check off .... are they looking for stories? Like I'm first-generation college student but do they want me to tell them about my struggles or something?

@RheumyArthritic, thank you for your post. I have a general question:

Is the Milwaukee location the only campus with a 4-year curriculum? Is a 3-year curriculum the only option at the GB and Cent Wis locations?

Thank you
Yes. Milwaukee is the only campus with a 4-year curriculum.

Green Bay and Central WI are only 3-year curriculums as these campuses are focused on primary care so certain rotations and vacation breaks are excluded from the curriculum in order to allow for a 3-year turnaround.

Are they possibly just sending stuff to IS people first?

Are they possibly just sending stuff to IS people first?
I’m OOS and have no connection to Wisconsin and I got one. It seems like a lot of schools are having issues with their application systems so I’m sure it doesn’t mean anything!

anyone getting invalid attempts to reset password?

edit: nvm got it to work after like 10 resets

Secondary received - as I was checking this thread to see if anyone had gotten one yet

I just gotta say, their little "click and drag" setup for filling in pre-reqs is awesome. Makes me wonder why some other schools force you to type in the info, considering almost all schools seem to use the same portal system for secondaries.

Reactions: 11 users
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 3.25.18 PM.png

anyone else see this in the status of their application? I haven't had any institutional action. I haven't submitted my app yet, but would this change once i submit?

View attachment 270464
anyone else see this in the status of their application? I haven't had any institutional action. I haven't submitted my app yet, but would this change once i submit?
For whatever reason the system doesn’t look to see if you’ve had any until after submit. It says that somewhere. Once you submit it will turn green.

I just gotta say, their little "click and drag" setup for filling in pre-reqs is awesome. Makes me wonder why some other schools force you to type in the info, considering almost all schools seem to use the same portal system for secondaries.
I agree!! Made me very annoyed at other schools for not taking advantage of this interface

So I haven't submitted my secondary yet, but when I check status, it says my CA$Per score hasn't been delivered even though the testing page said it did. Is that going to change once I submit?

Good luck this cycle! ☺
hi can you try to summarize the differences in campuses?

So I haven't submitted my secondary yet, but when I check status, it says my CA$Per score hasn't been delivered even though the testing page said it did. Is that going to change once I submit?

They probably just need time to process it. It didn’t change once I submitted and mine also says “scores delivered” on CASPer

Anyone know how we're supposed to enter pre-reqs if our undergrad was on the quarter system?

The secondary only lets me add one course to each pre-req, and I need to input two to fulfill their semester unit requirements..

View attachment 270464
this will change! As long as you hit "No" or N/A or whatever it was when asked those questions about any felonies, convictions, institutional actions, etc.

Based on last year...

thank god I read this post and saw that - I almost submitted just a diversity essay :eek:

Reactions: 3 users
hi can you try to summarize the differences in campuses?
Central and Green Bay are 2-year curriculums targeted to those students interested in primary care. They are located in rural-ish areas.

Milwaukee campus is a 4-year curriculum for those who are open to any and every specialty. It is located in an urban/suburban setting.

Those are the big differences.

Last edited:
Central and Wausau are 2-year curriculums targeted to those students interested in primary care. They are located in rural-ish areas.

Milwaukee campus is a 4-year curriculum for those who are open to any and every specialty. It is located in an urban/suburban setting.

Those are the big differences.

I believe I read on their website that Central and Green Bay also favor IS applicants more.

Primary 6/28
Secondary 7/5
Submitted 7/5
OOS

Last edited:
I believe I read on their website that Central and Green Bay also heavily favor IS applicants.

Found it: "Since MCW-Central Wisconsin and MCW-Green Bay have small class sizes of primarily Wisconsin residents, there are limited spaces available for non-residents. "

Anyone know how we're supposed to enter pre-reqs if our undergrad was on the quarter system?

The secondary only lets me add one course to each pre-req, and I need to input two to fulfill their semester unit requirements..

In the same exact boat. I'm ready to submit otherwise :(

2k characters is rough. I haven't received a secondary yet but looks like I better start typing lol

I got the following message when I tried to submit my secondary app.

"Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_UserRole'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.UserRole'. The statement has been terminated."

Anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

Submitted today (7/7) and it says I need to send in a Dean's Certification... Does anyone else have to do that? I don't have any IAs