2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an accepted student for incoming 2020 class and just got informed I am not a Wisconsin resident when in fact I thought I was. I know that they mention that residency determination is just for tuition purposes only but is it possible to get denied admission after being accepted due to this? thnx!

You don't have to be a Wisconsin resident to attend. They are also not a state-funded school (I originally thought that they were).

However, if you ARE a Wisconsin resident, call or email Financial Aid so you can get that in-state tuition! They may need more documentation from you.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to be a Wisconsin resident to attend. They are also not a state-funded school (I originally thought that they were).

However, if you ARE a Wisconsin resident, call or email Financial Aid so you can get that in-state tuition! They may need more documentation from you.

I guess I was wondering because on AMCAS i wrote i am a resident of WI since i thought i was but i just got notified by HEAB that i am not so I just wanted to make sure this wont cause me to get kicked off admisisons

I was told that the Central Wisconsin admissions committee meets Feb. 28. Does anyone know if they notify applicants the same day the committee meets of post-interview decisions or are they staggered the following week after they meet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that the Central Wisconsin admissions committee meets Feb. 28. Does anyone know if they notify applicants the same day the committee meets of post-interview decisions or are they staggered the following week after they meet?

I was told that they send their decisions to the campus in Milwaukee, who has to approve it. I was also told that 99% of the time they agree with the satellite campus's decisions.

I guess I was wondering because on AMCAS i wrote i am a resident of WI since i thought i was but i just got notified by HEAB that i am not so I just wanted to make sure this wont cause me to get kicked off admisisons
Did they elaborate on why you don't meet their criteria? That is odd. I highly doubt it would affect an admissions decision, but now that I think about it you may need to tell admissions, since they collect data on in-state versus out-of-state students.

Here is a screenshot from MSAR regarding MCW's residency policy:

Capture-WI-residency.PNG

Sent in an update letter. Likely won’t amount to anything but gave it a try ‍♀️

Does anyone know about MCW- Green Bay acceptances number so far?

For those who interviewed 02/07 did they say we were going to hear back on February 28 or by February 28?

I was told that they send their decisions to the campus in Milwaukee, who has to approve it. I was also told that 99% of the time they agree with the satellite campus's decisions.
This is what we were told too when I interviewed there in January. We were told that the admissions committee already discussed and submitted their choice(s) to the main campus before we even left the interview (I attended the afternoon session).

Last edited:
This is what we were told too when I interviewed there in January. We were told that they admissions committee already discussed and submitted their choice(s) to the main campus before we even left the interview (I attended the afternoon session).
Thanks for the info. It’s the final stretch of waiting, hopefully we can turn the interview into an A!

I read that MCW has a post II acceptance rate ~88%, does anyone know if this is accurate? I have a very hard time believing it could be this high.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read that MCW has a post II acceptance rate ~88%, does anyone know if this is accurate? I have a very hard time believing it could be this high.
On MSAR, MCW interviewed 611 people for 250 spots (this includes GB and Central Wis locations). Most private schools need to accept 2-3x the number of applicants to fill seats. Since MCW accepts half the class from WI, I assume that they need to accept closer to the 2x number because IS applicants tend to stay instate, so the 88% seems reasonable. I'd expect a number of those spots to come from the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
On MSAR, MCW interviewed 611 people for 250 spots (this includes GB and Central Wis locations). Most private schools need to accept 2-3x the number of applicants to fill seats. Since MCW accepts half the class from WI, I assume that they need to accept closer to the 2x number because IS applicants tend to stay instate, so the 88% seems reasonable. I'd expect a number of those spots to come from the waitlist.

We were actually told during the interview that no one got off the waitlist last year. Not sure if this year will be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Wow
I sent in an update a couple of days ago but nothing is showing up on the portal. Is that typical? I don't want to double send an update if it did in fact go through. Anyone else here send an update and is willing to let me know if it showed on their portal that they had done so or not.

I sent in an update a couple of days ago but nothing is showing up on the portal. Is that typical? I don't want to double send an update if it did in fact go through. Anyone else here send an update and is willing to let me know if it showed on their portal that they had done so or not.
I uploaoded an update to the portal and it showed up fairly quickly. Did you email the update to Admissions, or did you update it straight to the portal? Either way, I would email Admissions soon and just ask if they recieved it or can see it on their end.

I uploaoded an update to the portal and it showed up fairly quickly. Did you email the update to Admissions, or did you update it straight to the portal? Either way, I would email Admissions soon and just ask if they recieved it or can see it on their end.

Thank you for answering. I uploaded it straight to the portal. I'll contact admissions today.

Anyone know if there's another wave of IIs to come here?

We were actually told during the interview that no one got off the waitlist last year. Not sure if this year will be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

The admissions team during my interview said that while they didn't remove people off the waitlist last year, they have taken strides to make sure that doesn't happen this year. To ensure applicants that this year the waitlist will have movement, as they won't make the same mistakes they had last year.

I interviewed 2/21 and they told us we’d hear before March 20th. I’ve heard they’ve typically been sending decisions in 2 weeks. Anybody get theirs in 2 weeks?

The admissions team during my interview said that while they didn't remove people off the waitlist last year, they have taken strides to make sure that doesn't happen this year. To ensure applicants that this year the waitlist will have movement, as they won't make the same mistakes they had last year.

+1 they told us during 2/21 interview that the 0 waitlist movement was a one time fluke that won’t happen this year

I interviewed 2/21 and they told us we’d hear before March 20th. I’ve heard they’ve typically been sending decisions in 2 weeks. Anybody get theirs in 2 weeks?

So I've been keeping tabs on MCW SDN and it looks like admissions make their announcements on Fridays, and the last Friday where there was a surge of people getting acceptances/rejects/waitlists was January 31st. Then till now there has been silence on any post-II decisions on this thread. I'm anticipating everyone who interviewed late January and this month is gonna hear this Friday. They told us during my interview date that they'd tell us by the 28th, so hopefully we'll know then.

EDIT: I interviewed the 31st.

Hey team. II yesterday at 10:58am for MKE campus.

I am IS, LizzyM score < 55, strong experiences, research, some informal, successful post-bacc courses, and resilience in application. Complete 8/15, Small Pool 10/18. Sent update letter 12/2.

Only date left for interviewing was this Friday, 2/28. 3/6 was booked, as others have mentioned.

This is my only interview during my first medical school application cycle. Even though chances are slim, it is incredibly validating just to get the interview! Feeling blessed and EXCITED!

To those who haven't received an invite from here or anywhere, please don't get discouraged. I have an amazing non-traditional 'coming from the bottom now we here' pre-medical journey and had completely lost hope on this cycle until yesterday. Lesson: never give up.

Thanks for all of you on here for your support and detailed information along the cycle, please keep me in mind this week as I prepare!

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
Hey team. II yesterday at 10:58am for MKE campus.

I am IS, LizzyM score < 55, strong experiences, research, some informal, successful post-bacc courses, and resilience in application. Complete 8/15, Small Pool 10/18. Sent update letter 12/2.

Only date left for interviewing was this Friday, 2/28. 3/6 was booked, as others have mentioned.

This is my only interview during my first medical school application cycle. Even though chances are slim, it is incredibly validating just to get the interview! Feeling blessed and EXCITED!

To those who haven't received an invite from here or anywhere, please don't get discouraged. I have an amazing non-traditional 'coming from the bottom now we here' pre-medical journey and had completely lost hope on this cycle until yesterday. Lesson: never give up.

Thanks for all of you on here for your support and detailed information along the cycle, please keep me in mind this week as I prepare!

This was a nice read! Congrats and good luck on your interview! The day is very low stress so you got this

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys. Out of state here. I'm choosing between schools and I was wondering what you guys thought were pros of MCW compared to your other choices?

Hi guys. Out of state here. I'm choosing between schools and I was wondering what you guys thought were pros of MCW compared to your other choices?
I only have one choice at this point in time but here are some things I liked!
1. The students were all SUPER nice and welcoming. More so than any school I interviewed at by a long shot
2. The building is great. Everything seems brand new
3. Froedtert is a great hospital from what I gathered. It also sees a very diverse population of patients, from the urban population in Milwaukee to the rural population in other parts of Wisconsin
4. I've only been to Milwaukee once (as in for my interview) but it does seem like a great place to live. Very lively, also pretty close to Chicago.
5. The scholarly pathways program was a big plus for me. I know a lot of schools have something similar but I like the wide variety of options at MCW.

I'm sure there are more but those are what I thought of off the top of my head. Really the only con for me is that I'm from New Jersey and have no family in the area.

Reactions: 4 users

They are the only school I've interviewed at that told applicants about dedicated resources to medical student mental health. I feel like if other schools were to have those resources, it would be the sort of thing to brag about on Interview Day.

Reactions: 3 users
Post-II R just now. Interviewed Central Wisconsin 02/10 and absolutely devastated. They were my top choice and my only ii of the season, back to the drawing board for round 2 of applying...

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Post-II R just now. Interviewed Central Wisconsin 02/10 and absolutely devastated. They were my top choice and my only ii of the season, back to the drawing board for round 2 of applying...

I was not offered an acceptance anywhere my first go-around. Please don't give up! So many people re-apply, even if they don't advertise it.

I know it takes energy, and money, and it hurts. I don't have specific advice for you because I don't know what your approach was this cycle, but I am rooting for you nonetheless.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
OOS R just now. Complete 7/27, no small pool.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
give me that sweet juicy II mcow

II today!! Only available date is March 6. Wasn't on hold

Reactions: 12 users
Does MCW do MMIs or is it just traditional interviews?

Does MCW do MMIs or is it just traditional interviews?
Traditional- you’ll be in two rooms and each room will have one faculty and one med student or two faculty. Open file.

Accepted to Milwaukee!!!!!! Received email at 5:35 central time!
Interviewed January 31

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I was also accepted today at 5:54 pm central time. The only reason I’m posting this is for those people that like to look back at old posts at when ppl were accepted. I want to offer my best wishes to anyone who is waiting on good news. I think anyone who is on this site has the best intentions and God has a plan for you. Keep at it and stay positive. Good things will come.

• Love