2019-2020 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Mercer University

Members don't see this ad.

Mercer was my first choice school when applying last year, and I had a bajillion questions and loads of anxiety about the process. Sharing as much as I can from my experience last year, below. Obviously they may not be on this same schedule this year, but I hope this helps someone. Good luck!!!

Tips I wish I'd known while applying last year (2018-2019):
  • Take the Casper exam ASAP. Deadline for EDP is July 30 (per Casper website). Last year, I waited til the last minute to sign up and the remaining July dates were full, which caused a chain reaction of issues.
  • The folks in admissions are BEYOND awesome and so helpful and kind. They were fantastic at communicating expectations, too. When I asked questions via email, it usually took them about 2 business days to respond.
Significant dates for my EDP application in 2018:
  • Submitted EDP applicaton: ~ July 28/29 (highly recommend you submit this sooner than I did...).
  • Secondary invite: July 30 around noon via email.
  • Submitted secondary: August 28 (again... highly recommend you send this sooner...).
  • Interview Invite: Aug 30, got the email in the morning.
  • Interview: Sept 11 (you could choose Macon or Savannah from the remaining interview dates)
  • Acceptance call: Wed, Sept 26th around 7pm ish.
Helpful tips/dates to know if you are accepted (these could very well look drastically different for you *remember this is 2018-2019!*, but it's all stuff I wanted to know pretty soon after I was accepted to plan things like moving/when to quit my job/ financial decisions):
  • Once I received my acceptance packet (a few days after my acceptance call), I immediately requested my preferred campus
  • Nathan Deal application was released January 15th - all accepted students receive an email about it in January; due by March 1. Notifications for the scholarship were given on/before April 1.
  • April 13th - Accepted student's day in Macon (no clue if they'll do this next year)
  • June 12th - financial assistance email received (Note: FAFSA is due in the spring at some point for this)
  • Orientation begins on August 5th (first day that we are expected to be at our respective campuses)
  • White Coat Ceremony - August 9th
Note: This is my first post on SDN (long-time lurker), but I don't really intend on being active on this thread. If you have questions, direct them to the admissions office :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would any current students be willing to offer their opinion of Mercer's PBL curriculum? I'm strongly considering EDP for Mercer, however I have heard very mixed things about PBL approaches in medical school and would like to get a better idea of how much Mercer uses PBL

Did anyone receive a secondary yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes please and when were you verified?

Would any current students be willing to offer their opinion of Mercer's PBL curriculum? I'm strongly considering EDP for Mercer, however I have heard very mixed things about PBL approaches in medical school and would like to get a better idea of how much Mercer uses PBL

Hi! I’m a second year at the Macon campus (feels really weird to say that, first year flew by). Here’s a quote of something I said on last years thread, feel free to ask me more specific questions. And to everyone else, I get on SDN pretty often and I’m following this thread, so if you have any other questions I’ll try to answer them to the best of my ability and as soon as I can :) good luck to everyone!

“I personally really like the PBL curriculum and prefer it over lecture-based. I've never been a fan of lecture-based classes though. I also love Boards and Beyond, and also use sketchy, Pathoma, and certain video series on youtube (osmosis, Ninja Nerd, Armando Hasudungan, etc) as supplemental material. I honestly use these first, then read the textbooks as it makes reading through the textbooks easier for me since I already have some background information from the supplementals. Every PBL group that I have been in has created a google doc for all of the cases/what we need to learn from them and we split up the information, then present our topics in class”

has anyone received an email from Mercer after verification?

@luxaeterna6 do you know if the CASPer is required to be taken and scores received before we can receive a secondary and/or II?

@luxaeterna6 do you know if the CASPer is required to be taken and scores received before we can receive a secondary and/or II?
Nope. As long as you take and complete it by a certain time frame, you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait has anyone received secondary's yet?

Still no secondary???
I also haven't gotten a secondary... Maybe they are just waiting until they have all their ED apps are in? I am applying regular decision. Verified on 7/16 and my Casper results were delivered to them earlier this week. I guess we just continue the waiting game

Are the essays required? I do not see the how question about additional info is required

Could someone please post the secondary application questions?

Haha so still no one applying regular decision has received the secondary? Feels pretty dumb that Mercer is so relatively late.

Anyone get secondaries yet?

I've got 300+ volunteering hours, but only ~70 with underprivileged populations...do y'all know if this is an auto reject for Mercer? I know they're super mission based. I also don't have an obvious commitment to rural PC in my PS or anything, but it's something I'm open to, so I'll mention it in the secondary

Has anyone received an interview invite yet for Early Decision? I submitted my secondary July 16th.

I've got 300+ volunteering hours, but only ~70 with underprivileged populations...do y'all know if this is an auto reject for Mercer? I know they're super mission based. I also don't have an obvious commitment to rural PC in my PS or anything, but it's something I'm open to, so I'll mention it in the secondary
Did you get the secondary from Mercer?

Has anyone received an interview invite yet for Early Decision? I submitted my secondary July 16th.
yes, my sister is ED and she got one. Secondaries for regular decision are in.

Is #9 on the secondary required, or are some of you just leaving it blank?

lol most of us haven't received secondaries yet so idk. Are you an EDP applicant?

EDIT: lmao actually just checked my email and saw I received it today. Not able to check that question rn though.

Received and submitted secondary 8/5. Regular decision, IS.

Still says my letters of rec aren't entered by admissions committee even though it says they are received

lol most of us haven't received secondaries yet so idk. Are you an EDP applicant?

EDIT: lmao actually just checked my email and saw I received it today. Not able to check that question rn though.
tried to submit the page without that question, and it wouldn't let me, so #9 is required too fyi

Anyone know if our CASPer score must be in to be reviewed/receive an II?

Secondary received today

Secondary submitted 7/23, interview invite received 8/2, EDP applicant.

For "Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations?" -- did any of you leave this blank? I grew up in a Metro-Atlanta suburb so the answer is probably no, but I mean I feel like any county can "consist of medically underserved populations", no?

For "Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations?" -- did any of you leave this blank? I grew up in a Metro-Atlanta suburb so the answer is probably no, but I mean I feel like any county can "consist of medically underserved populations", no?
Ya look it up on google just to make sure. There are couple counties that don’t

Additionally, what did y'all explain with this question? The ways that the area/populations are underserved...? I feel like none of use really can have a comprehensive understanding of that. Even if we volunteered/worked with people experiencing this, it's not like we'd completely understand what the whole area/population is experiencing?

I mean I don't know if you noticed KirbySmart, but on your AMCAS application is there a (U) next to the county that you lived in permanently or temporarily. Look at your first page of your AMCAS application and if so then that means that you are in a medically underserved area. You can read what the (U) means on the last page at the bottom of your AMCAS app.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean I don't know if you noticed KirbySmart, but on your AMCAS application is there a (U) next to the county that you lived in permanently or temporarily. Look at your first page of your AMCAS application and if so then that means that you are in a medically underserved area. You can read what the (U) means on the last page at the bottom of your AMCAS app.

Ahh gotcha, didn't know about that. My permanent address county definitely is not underserved but the two different counties I lived in during undergrad were so I'm going to write about them.

yup! just note that the question asks about medically underserved populations, not medically underserved areas (which are different!)
Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.

It asks to have been raised or to be residing in an area that IS medically underserved OR in a county that consists of medically underserved populations. Either way works! In the italics they were just defining what they mean by medically underserved populations.