2019-2020 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current students are inviting accepted students to the FB group by email. It should come soon, you're not missing much at the moment!

I just wanna see whose hot

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Guys, I've been stuck at this for almost a month now...... What the heck bruhhhhh. Absolutely no contact whatsoever:

"We hope you enjoy your visit to our campus. Your final Admissions Committee decision will be available shortly. Contact the admissions office at 305-243-3234View attachment 296924 or [email protected] if you do not receive a telephone call, an e-mail or a letter within seven days."
You've had this message for a month? Have you contacted the office within 7 days of that change?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current students are inviting accepted students to the FB group by email. It should come soon, you're not missing much at the moment!
In fact nobody is missing anything, because this fb group is an awkward middle school dance with everybody standing against the wall on their phones.

I’m no better.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I’m just gonna do it. I’m lowkey doxxing myself but idgaf. Everyone is probably just being weird about being the first person to introduce themselves.

It’s probably just a matter of people not being 100% sure about committing yet and/or not having questions pop up yet for upperclassmen; most of my class pages have been dry

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone even started a conversation? Lol
No, we’re all just
1582827187263.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I’m just gonna do it. I’m lowkey doxxing myself but idgaf. Everyone is probably just being weird about being the first person to introduce themselves.
For those of us waiting, let us know if you open the floodgates

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I am interviewing for the MD program and the MD/MPH program and I was wondering if I will have to interview at both campuses or just at the main campus? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some applicants have 1 interview on each day, some have both on first day. It all depends.

I am interviewing for the MD program and the MD/MPH program and I was wondering if I will have to interview at both campuses or just at the main campus? Thanks!
Congrats on the interview! Do you remember when you got the ii?

How generous is UM with scholarships/ need based financial aid for FAP applicants?

• Love
Has anyone else who was supposed to hear back this week not received an alternate list email? Wonder if that means I'm not high on the waitlist.

Hi! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! I have a few quick questions.

1) for those of you that got merit scholarships (congrats!), did they notify you in the acceptance packet, or did they contact you later?

2) for those of you with merit scholarships, what were your stats like? (I’m guessing super high?)

3) have people started to find out about diversity/need based scholarships yet? If so, how long after you submitted everything did it take them to notify you?

thanks so much!!

Hi! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! I have a few quick questions.

1) for those of you that got merit scholarships (congrats!), did they notify you in the acceptance packet, or did they contact you later?

2) for those of you with merit scholarships, what were your stats like? (I’m guessing super high?)

3) have people started to find out about diversity/need based scholarships yet? If so, how long after you submitted everything did it take them to notify you?

thanks so much!!
I have a merit scholarship here. I found out ~3 months after my acceptance via letter in mail. LM 75

so the acceptance email says we must reply in writing to accept our place in the class. I emailed back accepting the offer. This doesn't mean I committed the school right?

UM says that they typically accept around 50 applicants off the waitlist (per MSAR). Anyone know if these are 50 applicants accepted after the final day they said out official acceptances, or if it includes those accepted off the waitlist every 2 weeks?
I'd say they mean after the final day because 20 accepted every 2 weeks adds up to way more than 50 even after taking into account people who get in on their first possible acceptance day.

so the acceptance email says we must reply in writing to accept our place in the class. I emailed back accepting the offer. This doesn't mean I committed the school right?
Nope does not mean you’re committed to the school, just saving your place in case you eventually decide to commit

thanks so much!!

I got a nice merit scholarship and my MCAT is slightly above their average, but my GPA is between their 10th and 25th percentile (after post bacc classes)... I think they really liked my extracurriculars/story though! (I’m ORM before anyone asks)

Withdrew from my acceptance and scholarship here, I hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck everyone, you’ve got this!

Reactions: 10 users
I was initially an MSTP applicant and my status remained as “your application has been reviewed. At this time, no final decision has been made on your application.” Finally, I e-mailed the director at the recommendation of a few professors from UM that I had as an undergrad. The director informed me that I had not been selected for an interview and that if I wanted to be considered for MD only that I needed to inform the admissions office. I did, and my application has been scored for about a week now. Does anyone have an idea if there will be further invitations sent out for interviews? Also, I feel awfully mislead because the MSTP website specifically states that applicants will be reviewed by both the MD and MD-PhD committee, but I didn’t learn this is not the case until a few weeks ago when I received correspondence from the program director. Anyone out there in the same position or have any input on the matter based on their own experience?

Anyone know when second look weekend is?

I loathe the time I spend commuting. Was your commute an hour each way from Coral Gables or West Kendall?

During my interview, I met two first years who told me they were each paying $1700/mo for a single bedroom in Brickell/Downtown o_O It seemed to me that the majority of the students lived in Brickell and many of them touted proximity to classmates as one of its greatest advantages. I'm leaning toward finding a place in Brickell just for the proximity to classmates and the school to minimize commute to the school. Would you say $1k/mo is reasonable for a room in a 3bd/2ba in Brickell?

The hour commute is West Kendall, though depending on the time of day, it can be the same amount of time for Coral Gables. Gotta love the Miami traffic.

Withdrew my II here. This is such a great school and one of the most positive threads here, good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Hey all, given step 1 being pass fail and prestige of school meaning a bit more than before, how does Miller compare nationally in terms of prestige? Having a hard time with this as its not really a quantifiable metric. but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this!

Hey all, given step 1 being pass fail and prestige of school meaning a bit more than before, how does Miller compare nationally in terms of prestige? Having a hard time with this as its not really a quantifiable metric. but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this!

It's a solid mid-tier. I'm not sure what you're looking to hear otherwise lol. Though if you're looking to match Optho for instance, and get a solid LoR from Palmer's, you're probably going to be able to punch above your weight easily nationwide. I don't know how achievable that is, but It's interesting. Miami is also highly regarded in the plastics community as well

Last edited:
I’ve spoken with people about this and it seems like Miami won’t be a limiting factor. Plus, they’re just going to put more weight on step 2.

feeling the same way. I love Miami and was planning on choosing school regardless of prestige, but am now worried due to the step 1 news. I'm looking to match into derm. I know Miami is known for derm but I do have a chance to go to a T20. feeling conflicted

feeling the same way. I love Miami and was planning on choosing school regardless of prestige, but am now worried due to the step 1 news. I'm looking to match into derm. I know Miami is known for derm but I do have a chance to go to a T20. feeling conflicted

You will have no problem matching derm regardless of Step changes in Miami; they have a good program for that here. Go where you’ll be happier/where you get most money

If the cost difference isn't significant, the location isn't miserable (looking at you, Mayo MN), and you have nothing major holding you there (Ex. wife/husband is pursuing a PhD at -Insert Man's Most Formidable School-) take the T20 offer.

I had an ortho surgeon and a plastic surgeon tell me that it was the best school in Florida. One of them said there were only around 10 hospitals in the US where you could get similar training to Jackson Memorial.

Miller is a super solid mid tier school. If you put in the work you can go to any program in any specialty. If there’s no non-academic reasons for you to go to Miami then go to the T20. But if you really wanna live in Miami or have an SO here you can come to Miller knowing you’re not at any disadvantage. Also keep in mind any merit aid/financial aid and that will also guide your decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk