2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Any current OMS students or accepted students have any insight to this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news about IIs? :oops: Just realized this thread existed lol

II today! See everyone on 9/27 <3

Reactions: 1 user
Would anyone mind sharing the questions? Would really appreciate it. :)

Would anyone mind sharing the questions? Would really appreciate it. :)

@RoseHathaway The NYITCOM application is the same for both campuses, it through one application AACOMAS, and then you receive the secondary which allow you to express in your responses if you have a campus preference, and it also allows you to elaborate on why.

This was copied from the NYITCOM Long Island Thread posted by PapaGuava.

1. Which NYITCOM campus/site are you interested in attending? (The NYITCOM Admissions Committee reserves the right to recommend the best campus fit for you based upon your complete application.)

2. Would you consider attending either campus?

3. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

4. Describe an experience you have had in interacting/relating with people whose backgrounds are different than your own. What did you learn from it? How did it change your perspective? (Max. 1000 characters)

5. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)

6. After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

7. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM?

8. If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)

9. Do you have any immediate family members (ONLY grandparents, parents, brothers/sisters, spouses) who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine?

10. If you do, please provide their name, relationship, and year of graduation from NYITCOM. (Max. 200 characters)

11. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I see our two campuses present with separate threads this year, and since I am a third year in Jonesboro I figured I would make myself available for questions as needed. I am on rotations at the moment but will try to answer when I can.

One thing that I and other students will request is that you search previous year's threads for general questions. Life in Jonesboro has not changed much from one or two years ago. We do not know what the Match will look like until March. Having experienced Boards now I can provide more information on that front, but a lot of accurate information can be gleaned from previous threads.

I am available for PM if you would like. Feel free to reach out!

-DoctorPose

Haven't seen much activity on this thread lately. Last post in regards to an II was about a month ago. Has anyone been hearing back lately? It appears we may be in the midst of a lull in this process. Im interested in hearing updates from anyone out there who may have them!

Accepted JB!

interviewed 9/27! Group 4 people? I was the guy that kept getting hit by the door.

II earlier today! Dates available are 11/1, 11/15, and 12/13; all are Fridays.

Hi everyone,

I interview on November 1st. Any chance anyone is going to be heading to Nasvhille after the interview?

Thanks!

Current/future students, can anyone elaborate on the benefits of partaking in the Baptist memorial health care partnership program?

Hi, does anyone know the interview format? Is it closed or open file?

I interviewed on 10/18. It was an open file interview, she had read all essays, personal statement, and knew all about my experience. We were told at the beginning of the day that we would not be asked about our mcat score or gpa... that if we were there for an interview it had already been decided that our numbers were fine.

The interview day was very relaxed. I was very impressed with the school, and I'm hoping for good news next mth.

Anyone else interview recently?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using SDN mobile

Open file. Great resources, truly “one program two locations!” Definitely a contender for top choice.

ii today! Scheduled it for Dec 13!

Those who have interviewed, was it easy to get an Uber from the hotel to the school?

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for this school??

Current/future students, can anyone elaborate on the benefits of partaking in the Baptist memorial health care partnership program?

It is a new program starting for the OMS Is this year, but I wish it were available when I started.

Seems like a true partnership/“grooming” process to me. Guarantees shadowing/mentoring opportunities with one of the region‘s (not just city’s) larger healthcare systems, with encouraged applications to Baptist residencies (variety of fields).

Certainly would not be a negative to go for, in my mind. Unless you already have a hook-up somewhere else I guess. If an OMS I does not hop on here to elaborate further, I recommend reaching out to the school and expressing interest.

The first secondary I'm working on is for this school! How personal did you get for "describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it?" A reviewer said I needed to be more professional by removing something more personal about myself on my personal statement so I'm just not sure about the secondaries.

The first secondary I'm working on is for this school! How personal did you get for "describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it?" A reviewer said I needed to be more professional by removing something more personal about myself on my personal statement so I'm just not sure about the secondaries.
Be yourself. If it’s a challenge you went through and you feel comfortable discussing it, then go for it. I’ve discussed both academic and personal challenges on secondaries and interviews and the interviewers liked that I was able to explain them and not shy away from them. We are human. Good luck!

It is a new program starting for the OMS Is this year, but I wish it were available when I started.

Seems like a true partnership/“grooming” process to me. Guarantees shadowing/mentoring opportunities with one of the region‘s (not just city’s) larger healthcare systems, with encouraged applications to Baptist residencies (variety of fields).

Certainly would not be a negative to go for, in my mind. Unless you already have a hook-up somewhere else I guess. If an OMS I does not hop on here to elaborate further, I recommend reaching out to the school and expressing interest.

Thanks for your input! Do you know if we are to apply for it and get accepted, can we drop out of the partnership program if we happen to change our mind?

I know that the Jonesboro currently does not have a DO/MBA program, but the OW campus does. Does anyone know when they will be bringing it to Jonesboro?

Thanks for your input! Do you know if we are to apply for it and get accepted, can we drop out of the partnership program if we happen to change our mind?

I am unsure of any specifics about this program, only surface details. I would advise that you reach out to the school with any specific questions. As long as you are not bombarding them with calls and such, some contact and clearly expressed interest would be good (In my mind) for your application.

Sorry I cannot be of more help on this specifically. There are new things in the works here, such as the aforementioned DO/MBA program, that I am not up to speed with considering my being beyond the timeframe for those programs.

Will help where I can with other questions though.

I am unsure of any specifics about this program, only surface details. I would advise that you reach out to the school with any specific questions. As long as you are not bombarding them with calls and such, some contact and clearly expressed interest would be good (In my mind) for your application.

Sorry I cannot be of more help on this specifically. There are new things in the works here, such as the aforementioned DO/MBA program, that I am not up to speed with considering my being beyond the timeframe for those programs.

Will help where I can with other questions though.

Hoe are the resources when it comes to COMLEX/STEP prep? Is it mostly on your own, or does NYIT at A-state provide some review courses etc?

II today but withdrawing. Hope it goes to someone out there who wants it more.

How are the resources when it comes to COMLEX/STEP prep? Is it mostly on your own, or does NYIT at A-state provide some review courses etc?

We were provided First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 and Pathoma as reference books. Pathoma comes with the lectures online for free. School provided COMBANK and COMQUEST as question banks, the former of which has a USMLE bank and a COMLEX bank, so that makes essentially 3 banks provided.

As far as independent sources, many of my friends loved using Boards and Beyond and OnlineMedEd for video sources. OME has free videos. I love them for my rotations, but they do preclinical stuff as well. Sketchy Medicine is also highly recommended by many if you are a visual learner. Dr. Najeeb, DIT, and a million other options are available as well.
And EVERYONE recommends U-World. This, above all else, is worth the money.

No review “courses” are provided unless you have to delay your exam due to insufficient scores on practice tests (we took 2 or 3, I believe, which the school provided).

Board prep is ultimately entirely on the individual in terms of utilization and whatnot, but you already knew that lol.

Board prep is ultimately entirely on the individual in terms of utilization and whatnot, but you already knew that lol.
That I did - Najeeb is 10 dollars for lifetime membership at the moment. I'm just casually watching his lectures which are really too long for some concepts. Before anyone comes at me, I am NOT STUDYING, really. Just watching some lectures on my free time (1 video a night) cause im bored AF. I did put down my deposit at NYITCOM - Jonesboro though ;) hope to see some of you there. Check out NYIT's new podcast - take a listen while driving!

If your interview is at the Jonesboro campus, can you still be accepted to the NY campus?

Anyone heard anything this month?

If your interview is at the Jonesboro campus, can you still be accepted to the NY campus?

No, the campus you are interviewing at is the campus you are competing for a seat at.

Essentially everyone who called and asked. And he’s a student at JB. What’s the point of asking for advice on a pre-med forum if you’re going to question what people say. Granted, we should always have some skepticism in the back of our minds. Call the school then, best bet to get what you want is to call/email them.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed on 10/18, received my acceptance this morning!!! I'm so pumped!

Reactions: 4 users