2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I can't advance to the next section without answering the supplemental questions and I was wondering, do we take a photo or upload a photo for that part of the application?

Upload

Members don't see this ad.

For the question about where we see ourselves after residency, is it for determining which campus we’re placed in?

Essay questions are up to 1000 words. Does anyone actually write this much?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's difficult to express everything I want with only 1000 characters haha

What reasons did people say for preference of campus? I am having a difficult time discerning the differences between the two, other than location, obviously

Can anyone give insight into how strict their LOR requirements are? I'm a non-trad with 2 science LORs, 1 D.O, and 1 employer. I don't have a third non-science professor.
I’m also wondering this. I have a pretty strong application, from a neighboring state, but I only have letters from 2 science professors and a PI from another institution

I’m also wondering this. I have a pretty strong application, from a neighboring state, but I only have letters from 2 science professors and a PI from another institution
I called them. They told me for non-traditional students, the non-science can be substituted for a supervisor from healthcare experience

hey guys! I was accepted to NYIT for this upcoming year, so I'll be part of the class of 2023 at OW! While my knowledge on the school is probably limited (I haven't yet started) I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application cycle. And, once I do get started, I'd be happy to talk about my experiences and answer questions about the school.

P.S. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I have a question, I got to the last page after I finished my secondary and had to submit the payment. The page redirected me to paypal where I made my payment. After that I wasn't redirected back to the NYIT portal. When I go back into the portal my answers and everything are still there and editable. Does anyone know if this normal?

I have a question, I got to the last page after I finished my secondary and had to submit the payment. The page redirected me to paypal where I made my payment. After that I wasn't redirected back to the NYIT portal. When I go back into the portal my answers and everything are still there and editable. Does anyone know if this normal?

I hope it is normal, same thing happened to me! I got confirmation of payment but it still allows me review/edit the answers

Reactions: 1 user

When in doubt, call the admissions office! One of my biggest things was being nervous about bothering admissions committees and being just another caller to whom they had to attend, but with NYIT, making yourself known is a good thing! The more you call (as long as it's reasonable and not just to have someone hear your voice), the better off you'll be. I also suggest getting to know a specific person from admissions, it'll help you immensely. This way, you can speak to the same person each time, and this person will know who you are and you won't need to explain yourself too many times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an actually portal where you can check your status and updates or is all communication via email?

When in doubt, call the admissions office! One of my biggest things was being nervous about bothering admissions committees and being just another caller to whom they had to attend, but with NYIT, making yourself known is a good thing! The more you call (as long as it's reasonable and not just to have someone hear your voice), the better off you'll be. I also suggest getting to know a specific person from admissions, it'll help you immensely. This way, you can speak to the same person each time, and this person will know who you are and you won't need to explain yourself too many times.

thank you so much! I'll definitely reach out to someone in the admissions office :)

Its normal. Their system is a bit odd. But rest assured once you pay the fee, the application is submitted. You get a confirmation within a few days

Hi guys. I'm personally struggling with the secondary questions about the experience of interacting with people from different background question. I'm looking for feedback on possible topics and what would be better perceived/what admissions are looking for. I volunteered in Uganda doing a global health research project for a month and was intrigued that education was one of the factors affecting deteriorating health. Similarly, I see this in the US communities that I work in as a paramedic. However, I'm not sure if this will come off as the "privileged educated white person" on a mission trip to Africa, or if it should have anything to do with healthcare. I also work closely with an autistic adult that I could write about.

Hi guys. I'm personally struggling with the secondary questions about the experience of interacting with people from different background question. I'm looking for feedback on possible topics and what would be better perceived/what admissions are looking for. I volunteered in Uganda doing a global health research project for a month and was intrigued that education was one of the factors affecting deteriorating health. Similarly, I see this in the US communities that I work in as a paramedic. However, I'm not sure if this will come off as the "privileged educated white person" on a mission trip to Africa, or if it should have anything to do with healthcare. I also work closely with an autistic adult that I could write about.

hi, I suggest you write about your work with the adult with autism. I personally wrote about my experience mentoring an adolescent with ADHD, whose symptoms were exacerbated by her low SES background. I talked about how my mentoring with her was only successful because I took the time to understand her background and experiences, which was different than my own upbringing.

any of your experiences would definitely work for this question! but choose which one required more learning on your part because I think that shows how well you can accommodate with others

Reactions: 1 users
hi, I suggest you write about your work with the adult with autism. I personally wrote about my experience mentoring an adolescent with ADHD, whose symptoms were exacerbated by her low SES background. I talked about how my mentoring with her was only successful because I took the time to understand her background and experiences, which was different than my own upbringing.

any of your experiences would definitely work for this question! but choose which one required more learning on your part because I think that shows how well you can accommodate with others
Yes, that's what I was thinking! Thank you.

So when I submitted the application (7/1) I got the “you’re application is complete” email, but the next day I got an email that my LOR had not been received. My LOR have recently been received by AACOMAS, but since there’s no NYITCOM portal, I don’t know if they got to NYITCOM yet. Do you guys think I should reach out or just assume they got the letter?

So when I submitted the application (7/1) I got the “you’re application is complete” email, but the next day I got an email that my LOR had not been received. My LOR have recently been received by AACOMAS, but since there’s no NYITCOM portal, I don’t know if they got to NYITCOM yet. Do you guys think I should reach out or just assume they got the letter?
The same thing happened to me. I replied to the email and they took care of it.

Did they start sending out any II?
Looks like last year they started sending them out around August 8, so hopefully some of us will start getting IIs in the next couple of weeks!

Reactions: 5 users
Looks like last year they started sending them out around August 8, so hopefully some of us will start getting IIs in the next couple of weeks!

How exciting! I wish everyone the best of luck. :love:

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone,
I'm considering adding this school to my list, however I noticed in their LOR requirements they want 3 letters from faculty that have taught you. I only have 2 that are both from my post bacc, as I graduated undergrad over 3 year ago.... but I do have a letter from a DO and a letter from my PI at my full-time research job. Any thoughts or knowledge on how strict this LOR requirement is?
Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I'm considering adding this school to my list, however I noticed in their LOR requirements they want 3 letters from faculty that have taught you. I only have 2 that are both from my post bacc, as I graduated undergrad over 3 year ago.... but I do have a letter from a DO and a letter from my PI at my full-time research job. Any thoughts or knowledge on how strict this LOR requirement is?
Thanks!
I would call and ask them because I have no clue, sorry :(

Hi everyone,
Thanks!

From the email I got from them for my secondary:

"Applicants out of school for a length of time who are unable to provide the required letters noted above, may provide professional letters that discuss your competencies, accomplishments and potential for success in medical school. "

Reactions: 1 users
From the email I got from them for my secondary:

"Applicants out of school for a length of time who are unable to provide the required letters noted above, may provide professional letters that discuss your competencies, accomplishments and potential for success in medical school. "

Ahhh okay awesome, thank you! I'll add them to my list then.

Hi everyone,
Thanks!
I have heard that they aren’t very strict in LOR. You can always call and double check!

I have heard that they aren’t very strict in LOR. You can always call and double check!
I can confirm. Called before applying and they told me non-trads can indeed have employers and healthcare supervisors write a LOR

I have a question. Is it okay to submit the secondary before sending the letter of recommendation? I don't think my committee letter/letter of rec will be sent until the end of next week.

I have a question. Is it okay to submit the secondary before sending the letter of recommendation? I don't think my committee letter/letter of rec will be sent until the end of next week.
Yes, you just won’t be complete until they receive them.

I just did this earlier today and somehow the committee leader submitted the letter an hour ago to my surprise. I wasn't expecting it for at least another week!

I just did this earlier today and somehow the committee leader submitted the letter an hour ago to my surprise. I wasn't expecting it for at least another week!

Wow, talk about perfect timing. Hopefully, that happens to me but I doubt it lol.

Besides the NY campus being in a good state and being around for longer than AK campus, what other reasons did you all see to choose NY vs AK? Im looking at the website and I see the health care clinics, OMM labs, and Global Health but I don’t know if they are only located in NY or also AK

Just out of curiosity, do the AR campus have the same rotation sites as the NY campus?

Just out of curiosity, do the AR campus have the same rotation sites as the NY campus?

Don’t know for a fact, but I would assume no because I looked at the NY rotations and it’s all local hospitals!

Don’t know for a fact, but I would assume no because I looked at the NY rotations and it’s all local hospitals!

That is what I thought thank you. By the way, do you know if the 1000 character count is with spaces or without?

Besides the NY campus being in a good state and being around for longer than AK campus, what other reasons did you all see to choose NY vs AK? Im looking at the website and I see the health care clinics, OMM labs, and Global Health but I don’t know if they are only located in NY or also AK

Tbh, I said I chose NY-long island over AK because I lived like an hour away from it lol. I don't know if this is a good reason but yeah.

Tbh, I said I chose NY-long island over AK because I lived like an hour away from it lol. I don't know if this is a good reason but yeah.
I live in a nearby state so I'm in the same boat lol

I chose New York because of the urban and suburban life. There were other reasons but this was the biggest one. Arkansas is big on rural medicine if you like that.

Does anyone know the Arkansas clinical rotation sites? I have searched all over their website and cannot find a specific list.

Incoming first year here! I chose the OW campus in NY mainly because Im from NYC and couldn't see myself moving to AK. But, for me, there were a few other reasons, too. One big one is that NYC is so close to OW that you can take full advantage of the opportunities to be had there. Of course, you are competing with med students from the NYC schools, but there are so many opportunities that I'd be shocked if someone didn't get one. If you are interested in research that your school doesn't offer, you may be able to find a position in NYC. The commute wouldn't be ideal, but it would be worth it if you were able to secure a position somewhere in the field of your interest. Even the lifestyle is fantastic. There are countless incredible restaurants, a bunch of attractions (movie theaters, big malls, outlets, water activities/beaches), and much more. Im also a big advocate for the notion that everyone should live in NYC at some point in their life!

Last edited:
I chose AR, but it honestly seems like n=1 around here. I’m excited about rural medicine and grew up in the Midwest, so I felt they were the best choice for me. There were definitely other reasons that played into this decision, but those two were my major ones.

I chose AR, but it honestly seems like n=1 around here. I’m excited about rural medicine and grew up in the Midwest, so I felt they were the best choice for me. There were definitely other reasons that played into this decision, but those two were my major ones.
I chose AR too! I grew up about an hour away from there, and my sister still lives in the area. I know the patient population really well, and it'd be nice to be back around family.