2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, for next year, can we please separate the Jonesboro and Old Westbury campuses into separate threads? They are literally two seperate schools.

“One Program, Two Locations”

You will also be having classes streamed between the two campuses. Jonesboro campus works off the accreditation of the NY campus - class stats and ranking are combined between the two locations.

Your comment just rubbed me the wrong way - try to be a little more collaborative with everyone going through this process, especially your future classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
“One Program, Two Locations”

You will also be having classes streamed between the two campuses. Jonesboro campus works off the accreditation of the NY campus - class stats and ranking are combined between the two locations.

Your comment just rubbed me the wrong way - try to be a little more collaborative with everyone going through this process, especially your future classmates.
Sorry, I just meant from an admissions standpoint, which us what these threads are for.

Members don't see this ad :)
So since this is public information–that they accept people off the waitlist from now until August–would that mean that they do silent rejections? Since if you haven't heard back after August, it's assumed that you've been rejected?

So since this is public information–that they accept people off the waitlist from now until August–would that mean that they do silent rejections? Since if you haven't heard back after August, it's assumed that you've been rejected?
Like nothing post interview , or nothing after the WL email? Some people do get rejected post interview, and they just get radio silence, and no " A' or " WL" email.

Like nothing post interview , or nothing after the WL email? Some people do get rejected post interview, and they just get radio silence, and no " A' or " WL" email.

After WL email. I've also interviewed at the JB campus. I don't know if this branch would be more competitive since there are less spots to compete for?

Are we supposed to get a confirmation email letting us know that we’re on the wait list?

Also, does sending a letter of intent actually make a difference in regards to being considered for an acceptance?

Are we supposed to get a confirmation email letting us know that we’re on the wait list?

Also, does sending a letter of intent actually make a difference in regards to being considered for an acceptance?
When you are placed on the wait list they ask you to fill in a google docs stating whether you would like to remain on the wait list. When you submit your decision a confirmation email is sent. :)

When you are placed on the wait list they ask you to fill in a google docs stating whether you would like to remain on the wait list. When you submit your decision a confirmation email is sent. :)
anyone else not get a confirmation email

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to post last week; Accepted! LM: 69 OOS (Interviewed in early January)

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone speak to what the interview day is like? They allot 2 hours to the interview but people have said on this forum that their interview was about 10-30 minutes? Do you have multiple traditional interviews during this time frame?

Can anyone speak to what the interview day is like? They allot 2 hours to the interview but people have said on this forum that their interview was about 10-30 minutes? Do you have multiple traditional interviews during this time frame?

It’s one traditional open file interview but you’re waiting to get called for it during those 2+ hours. The interview itself is only 10-30 mins depending on the interviewer. During the wait time there are presentations from different members of the faculty like financial aid etc. Then it’s lunch and a tour of the school.

Does anyone know their policy on update letters? I know some schools dislike them but haven't been able to find information anywhere on whether to not NYITCOM prefers to receive them or not if there's new information.

Does anyone know their policy on update letters? I know some schools dislike them but haven't been able to find information anywhere on whether to not NYITCOM prefers to receive them or not if there's new information.

they accept update letters

Question for MS1 and Accepted students.
Did you receive an email stated that: "Please note that the deadline to fill out your FAFSA is April 1, 2020 and the deadline for all forms of payment is April 15, 2020" Does it mean that we have to pay tuition by April 1, 2020?

Question for MS1 and Accepted students.
Did you receive an email stated that: "Please note that the deadline to fill out your FAFSA is April 1, 2020 and the deadline for all forms of payment is April 15, 2020" Does it mean that we have to pay tuition by April 1, 2020?
Everyone in this application cycle should have their FAFSA done by the FAFSA deadline. Don't worry about the other deadline. I still don't understand that deadline, but it's not something incoming students have to worry about. You can get accepted in August and you'll still get your student loans (and no there is no penalty or anything). If that doesn't make sense to you, I think I've explained it. :)

Once you get accepted and confirm your spot with a deposit, they'll push your loan paperwork through and your bill will get taken care of then.

What happens if you apply for FAFSA without any acceptance yet and dont end up getting an acceptance this cycle?
The school that you accept has to also complete some paperwork from their end to finalize aid. If you don't receive an acceptance, all you lost is the hour you spent filling out the form.

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing your stats ?

Thank you! I currently attend school in Arkansas and had quite a few hours of volunteering with underserved communities. I had a great tour at this school and then a great interview experience. Everyone I met here seemed to really get along with and speak highly of their colleagues, professors, and administrators.

506 MCAT, 3.55 ScGPA, 3.52 nonScGPA

How are the clinical sites for NYITCOM-OW especially with many other surrounding medical schools? I'm unsure how to determine whether clinical sites are strong or not by just looking at the names of the hospitals.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve been complete since the summer (OOS) and still not heard anything. I really like this school too. Is anyone else in this position?

How are the clinical sites for NYITCOM-OW especially with many other surrounding medical schools? I'm unsure how to determine whether clinical sites are strong or not by just looking at the names of the hospitals.
NYITCOM-OW's clinical sites will be strong regardless. The proximity to Northwell Hospitals, Stony Brook Hospitals, and the various city hospital chains are all incorporated into its rotation sites. Wherever you go for rotations, you'll be set.

Reactions: 1 user
Received an interview invite today! Complete around end of August. Latest interview date I saw was 3/17 for those of you wondering.

Got an interview at the JB campus this Friday. For any of you who have already been through the experience, do they feed us (vital info lol)? Also, for any current JB med students, can you DM me some restaurant recommendations and good coffee places? If you're interviewing Friday the 28th, see you there :)

Reactions: 3 users
Got an interview at the JB campus this Friday. For any of you who have already been through the experience, do they feed us (vital info lol)? Also, for any current JB med students, can you DM me some restaurant recommendations and good coffee places? If you're interviewing Friday the 28th, see you there :)
Good luck! There's a starbucks in the ASU student union (directly across from the main entrance of the medical school building). They feed you, and you'll find most anything you'd want around the city for your other meals.

For clinical rotations (OW) is it a lottery system & are you placed at the same hospital for all your core rotations?

I’ve been complete since the summer (OOS) and still not heard anything. I really like this school too. Is anyone else in this position?

Same here. I 've been complete since July (also OOS) and have not heard anything. Are they still handing out interview invites? I really want to go to this school.

II just now for Long Island campus.
OOS
Complete end of October

they had dates extending to the end of march so don't lose hope !!!

Reactions: 4 users
For clinical rotations (OW) is it a lottery system & are you placed at the same hospital for all your core rotations?
Both! There are a limited number of "regional rotations," where you do all your 3rd year rotations at the same hospital. You can apply for these during 2nd year and have to interview at the site. If you don't get one of these or choose not to apply, you instead do a match-style lottery. For each rotation you rank the available sites that you'd want to attend and an algorithm spits out where everyone goes.

Both! There are a limited number of "regional rotations," where you do all your 3rd year rotations at the same hospital. You can apply for these during 2nd year and have to interview at the site. If you don't get one of these or choose not to apply, you instead do a match-style lottery. For each rotation you rank the available sites that you'd want to attend and an algorithm spits out where everyone goes.
Thank you so much! Are the regional rotations extremely competitive? Is it a pain to move hospitals for each rotation? For making connections with faculty as well as travel time (since the hospitals are spread out between NY and NJ)? Are you happy with your experience with clinical rotations?

Same here. I 've been complete since July (also OOS) and have not heard anything. Are they still handing out interview invites? I really want to go to this school.
they have 2 dates left.

Thank you so much! Are the regional rotations extremely competitive? Is it a pain to move hospitals for each rotation? For making connections with faculty as well as travel time (since the hospitals are spread out between NY and NJ)? Are you happy with your experience with clinical rotations?
I wouldn't say "extremely," most but not all of the people I knew who applied got one (not necessarily their first choice though), though that might be biased by who my friends/acquaintances are. I didn't apply for a regional. I haven't minded switching hospitals, it only really takes a day or two to get acclimated. You can rank highly the same hospital for multiple rotations if you want to avoid moving around a bunch (although its not guaranteed, obviously). As far as making connections, even on a regional you're going to be working with different faculty/attendings/residents each rotation so you have to be comfortable working with new people. I ranked only places that were within a 45 minute drive of me and ended up fine with the commutes I had.

As far as have I been happy, definitely! My sites have been a good mix of community and academic programs, so I've been able to see how things work both with and without residents. All the doctors I've worked with have been great and super willing to let medical students be involved in patient care. I've managed to get a lot of hands on experience.

That said, I've heard from some of my friends that not all sites have been as good, mostly those with residents who make no effort to involve students, though these are a minority overall and will change as residents change as well.

Nope. I didn't send anything honestly I was pretty surprised I got the invite.

Maybe its changed but as of like 2 hours ago when I scheduled mine they had 4 available dates up until March 17th
Oh I meant for JB. Only 2 dates on april.

When I lived in a house with 3 other guys I spent ~$850 per month on rent + utilities. Now that I'm living with my spouse in a 1 bedroom apartment I spend ~$1,000 per month. I got a pretty good deal on both the places I've lived (both in Glen Cove), your mileage will vary wildly as Long Island real estate is stupid expensive.
Thank you so much!