2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the WL for this school, what are everyone's opinions on Jonesboro (I'm impressed by the school, but not sure about the location)
Also on WL! I have a (cool/liberal) friend who lives part-time in JB and works in film production there. He told me it's a surprising mix of people and vibes, not as conservative as he expected but for sure more overt racism and less to do than the major city we're from. I stayed/went out downtown and had an awesome dinner and 1000 drinks after the interview, so that's definitely possible there. However! I think the way you feel about the school is the most important thing, since you won't have time for much else. JB/surrounding areas seem to be good places to start out doctoring if you genuinely care about bridging gaps/disparities in healthcare. I was hesitant about attending the interview but I really liked almost everything about it, tbh.

Members don't see this ad.

Also on WL! I have a (cool/liberal) friend who lives part-time in JB and works in film production there. He told me it's a surprising mix of people and vibes, not as conservative as he expected but for sure more overt racism and less to do than the major city we're from. I stayed/went out downtown and had an awesome dinner and 1000 drinks after the interview, so that's definitely possible there. However! I think the way you feel about the school is the most important thing, since you won't have time for much else. JB/surrounding areas seem to be good places to start out doctoring if you genuinely care about bridging gaps/disparities in healthcare. I was hesitant about attending the interview but I really liked almost everything about it, tbh.
I’m from the South and not a liberal. You would be surprised how un-racist the vast majority of the South is. I’ve been to a number of “liberal” cities and they have far worse race relations. A lot of them are just white people. Spend some time in the South before you make offensive assumptions and ignorant statements

I’m from the South and not a liberal. You would be surprised how un-racist the vast majority of the South is. I’ve been to a number of “liberal” cities and they have far worse race relations. A lot of them are just white people. Spend some time in the South before you make offensive assumptions and ignorant statements
And that's on white fragility.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Judge people on an individual basis. I’ve had way too many bad experiences with liberals to count due to their intolerance and bigotry but I try to view them on a person by person basis.
I'm convinced you're doing some kind of self-trolling experiment with these comments.

How long does it take to receive the interview confirmation? Scheduled an interview for this Friday sometime last week but have not heard anything since!

Unless the "someone on this thread" is on the admissions committee at that school, all of these assumptions are a waste of time. Start prepping for the next cycle and stay optimistic for this one. Don't live on SDN.
For the record- I realized I saw that info on a previous NYIT thread ( Im WL'd and I wanted to know what WL movement looks like) that in late March ( OW) they normally send an email saying their interview cycle is over. That was previous cycles, not this year. Just wanted to clear up that I didnt just come up with that.

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take to receive the interview confirmation? Scheduled an interview for this Friday sometime last week but have not heard anything since!
It shouldn't take long at all since its an automated email. Reach out to admissions via email and confirm your interview with them to be safe.
Good Luck on your interview! :)

I'm sure you'll meet awesome people on that day and fall in love with NYITCOM. I know that I'm head over heals for NYITCOM, I'm just waiting for that Acceptance already lol it feels like its been FOREVER:(

It shouldn't take long at all since its an automated email. Reach out to admissions via email and confirm your interview with them to be safe.

I'm sure you'll meet awesome people on that day and fall in love with NYITCOM. I know that I'm head over heals for NYITCOM, I'm just waiting for that Acceptance already lol it feels like its been FOREVER:(
what did you love so much about nyit? i'm really conflicted about here and another school

For the record- I realized I saw that info on a previous NYIT thread ( Im WL'd and I wanted to know what WL movement looks like) that in late March ( OW) they normally send an email saying their interview cycle is over. That was previous cycles, not this year. Just wanted to clear up that I didnt just come up with that.
I think it is totally alright to try and predict the future by looking back to how things were done in the past, after all history does repeat itself.

I am also a firm believer that it is alright to make mistakes, things are always changing and as humans we can't be expected to be right every time.
It's not okay, however, to put someone down when they're wrong. Thats something only a gunner would do, and nobody likes a gunner.

As medical students its our responsibility to help our colleagues and work together.

what did you love so much about nyit? i'm really conflicted about here and another school
I can only speak for OW

I loved the campus, my fellow students being interviewed ( I met a ton of cool people that day and I hope that theyll become my class mates), all the professors that spoke that day and the Dr. that interviewed me was supper cool. The MS2 s and all the other medical students are out going and want to help MS1s. I made a tone of great connections from NYITCOM on my interview day and i can't wait to see them again. There is so many research opportunities on campus and there is so many clubs to get involved in. I love how they will be incorporating PBL into our medical education. and there is so much more to say but I'll just leave it here.

Will be giving up my seat for JB. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users

Thnak you! I hope you get that acceptance soon!!

Accepted OW! Interviewed 1/9, Waitlisted 2/21.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to contact Old Westbury's Bursar about the tuition being due today? I've only seen posts about JB pushing it to May 1st and have not received any emails on a postponement.

EDIT: Contacted Bursar they said If you accept your unsubsidized loan by today, you can wait until May 1st to pay the balance.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to contact Old Westbury's Bursar about the tuition being due today? I've only seen posts about JB pushing it to May 1st and have not received any emails on a postponement.
it's due today. I was also told that students' acceptances will be revoked if they are late. you can cover it with loans though then if you don't go here just cancel them

Kasandra Manjares, she said "A student’s spot will be revoked if they fail to pay tuition on time" maybe it's just a scare tactic but I didn't want to risk it.
I was getting emails on my main private email about my Accepted student day and all. I did not look at the my NYIT email at all (I kinda forgot it existed). Good thing I just happen to check SDN two days ago and then saw the thing in my NYIT connect yesterday. I gave my citizen prof, degree proof and all. Currently, I have one hold in my To-Do List and I cannot accept my FAFSA yet. I have emailed them let's see.

Kasandra Manjares, she said "A student’s spot will be revoked if they fail to pay tuition on time" maybe it's just a scare tactic but I didn't want to risk it.
Sorry to barge in but what happens if someone is accepted off the WL? Whats the deadline then?

it's due today. I was also told that students' acceptances will be revoked if they are late. you can cover it with loans though then if you don't go here just cancel them
Clair Jacobi who's a director for Financial Aid told me if you accept your unsubsidized loans today you're fine until May 1st.

Hey y’all,
I’ve decided to withdraw my acceptance. Hope it goes to one you on the waitlist. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y’all,
I’ve decided to withdraw my acceptance. Hope it goes to one you on the waitlist. Best of luck!
Thanks! Good luck with the decision process. Lots of amazing medical schools out there

I'm sorry if this question has been asked multiple times already, but when does OW start seeing a lot of movement for the waitlist? I'm sitting on 3 waitlists right now as a reapplicant, I just need a flicker of hope!

When does waitlist movement usually happen for this school
I read on another forum that the most waitlist movement happens usually end of April till middle of June because most people have to narrow down their schools on April 30 and make a decision.

Not sure if this was asked/answered already, but if you were interviewed at Jonesboro does that mean you are out of the running for the NY campus?

Also anyone know if WL is ranked?

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time writer lol

This may sound like a silly question, and it is, but here goes anyway. I was accepted here a while ago, and just recently also found out that I was accepted to SUNY Downstate, which is most likely where I'm going to go to decide to attend. I already paid the 1500 deposit, but where do I go give my seat to someone on the waitlist? And what is the deadline for that?

It's just so confusing because with AMCAS there is a choose your school button, but with AACOMAS it's not centralized at all.

And good luck to everyone else waiting! We're all in this together! =)))

Reactions: 3 users

This may sound like a silly question, and it is, but here goes anyway. I was accepted here a while ago, and just recently also found out that I was accepted to SUNY Downstate, which is most likely where I'm going to go to decide to attend. I already paid the 1500 deposit, but where do I go give my seat to someone on the waitlist? And what is the deadline for that?

It's just so confusing because with AMCAS there is a choose your school button, but with AACOMAS it's not centralized at all.

Hey I had a similar situation where I had already submitted a deposit but decided to withdraw. I believe an email to the admissions committee is appropriate stating your intent to withdraw your acceptance.

you okay ?
Sorryyy
I always wanna know about apps of ppl who get into schools Im looking at. My anxiety has been bad bc I dont know what to do next year, whether I should apply this year or next. Application is more than stats. Lost my ming for a bit

So I guess we can add Tuesdays to the list of days to expect emails? Now I have two chances to neurotically refresh every 5 minutes!

What campus did you get accepted to?

So I guess we can add Tuesdays to the list of days to expect emails? Now I have two chances to neurotically refresh every 5 minutes!
Did you ask when they’d get back to you? Is that what you mean by checking on Tuesday? I interviewed today but I’m not sure when to expect a reply

Did you ask when they’d get back to you? Is that what you mean by checking on Tuesday? I interviewed today but I’m not sure when to expect a reply
Dude who just said he got in got in on a Mon/Tues and not onna Friday when most NYIT emails are sent out

Accepted OW on Friday. Interviewed 2/20, wait listed 3/6.
cGPA: 3.43 / sGPA: 3.64 / MCAT 513 / LM 65

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted OW on Friday. Interviewed 2/20, wait listed 3/6.
cGPA: 3.43 / sGPA: 3.64 / MCAT 513 / LM 65
Congrats! They say their list isnt ranked, so is it by date? I interviewed 2/11 and was waitlisted also on 3/6 but nothing yet. Does anyone know how their waitlist works because it doesnt seem like theyre going by interview date?

Congrats! They say their list isnt ranked, so is it by date? I interviewed 2/11 and was waitlisted also on 3/6 but nothing yet. Does anyone know how their waitlist works because it doesnt seem like theyre going by interview date?
clearly not by date since I interviewed in October...