2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is anyone reapplying to this school in the coming cycle? Did anyone apply that was on the WL last year and possibly got in this round?
I’m just trying to gauge what people did differently. I’m still hoping to get in this cycle off the WL but don’t wanna put all my eggs in one basket so I’m thinking about applying again.
I’m reapplying this cycle. I actually just got their supplemental app this week . COVID kinda ruined my reapp (couldn’t improve my app too much besides some volunteering) but last cycle I applied too schools late trying to get my app in ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, does anyone know how applicants are chosen if the waitlist is unranked?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, does anyone know how applicants are chosen if the waitlist is unranked?
No one knows for sure whether the waitlist is unranked. However, I am skeptical that it is unranked. Maybe they mean unranked in the sense of MCAT and GPA. However, ranking can still take place based on geographic location, interviewing skills etc. If the waitlist was truly unranked, then they would use a computer to randomly select applicants. There has to be ranking in some sense...after all, everyone is unique.

So orientation is completely online now.
Will we even have anything in person this fall? Do I even need to start my housing lease....
Anybody's background check clear yet? I submitted mine and then..nothing.

Will we even have anything in person this fall? Do I even need to start my housing lease....
For your background check, just check your mynyit and student connect to see if the requirement has been taken off your checklist. I don’t think they’re going to tell you anything else about it, unless they find something concerning.

From the newsletter they just us(at JB), i think we are still going to have OMM and Anatomy lab in-person and some on-campus orientation stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, did they announce that the orientation is going to be online officially for OW, I didn't hear that yet. This whole thing is so frustrating, why can't they release the class schedule and keep us informed, so we can make our decisions about moving.

They said orientation was going to be a “hybrid” and have not said anything about classes being entirely online. They have also said labs are going to be done through “small group learning”. I would anticipate needing to move at this point. I haven’t seen anything that says it’s going to be strictly online but correct me if I’m wrong!

I have it on fairly good authority (not going to specify because I don't want to dox myself) that labs will still be happening, just in a more restricted manner where students will only be on campus one day a week. Don't know all the details though and I'm not sure if all the details have even been determined yet.

Just decided to move on and withdraw from waitlist for JB campus. Good luck to everyone else still waiting hope you guys hear back soon.

Just decided to move on and withdraw from waitlist for JB campus. Good luck to everyone else still waiting hope you guys hear back soon.
Best of luck on whatever you decide on. :) Remember things happen for the best.

For your background check, just check your mynyit and student connect to see if the requirement has been taken off your checklist. I don’t think they’re going to tell you anything else about it, unless they find something concerning.

From the newsletter they just us(at JB), i think we are still going to have OMM and Anatomy lab in-person and some on-campus orientation stuff.

It hasn't been taken of the checklist. I may send an email to the listed contact tomorrow, because I am concerned now. According the email, my soft deadline is June 25th.

Hi, did they announce that the orientation is going to be online officially for OW, I didn't hear that yet. This whole thing is so frustrating, why can't they release the class schedule and keep us informed, so we can make our decisions about moving.
So when I looked at the NYITCOM website , and there is a banner that says the following:
New York Tech Alerts
LAST UPDATED JUNE 22, 2020

All summer 2020 courses, admissions events, and new student orientation will be held remotely. Information regarding the re-opening of the New York campuses can be found at nyit.edu/reopening.

New York City and Long Island Campus Access Policy updates can be found at nyit.edu/alerts.

They said orientation was going to be a “hybrid” and have not said anything about classes being entirely online. They have also said labs are going to be done through “small group learning”. I would anticipate needing to move at this point. I haven’t seen anything that says it’s going to be strictly online but correct me if I’m wrong!
I pasted it above. Well, it may be that "courses" are online, but labs/OMM are in person.
Does the cirriculum for this school include any PBL/TBL sessions? They used to have two separate curriculums and the new , combined curriculum is supposedly a mix of lecture and PBL so I am wondering.

I have it on fairly good authority (not going to specify because I don't want to dox myself) that labs will still be happening, just in a more restricted manner where students will only be on campus one day a week. Don't know all the details though and I'm not sure if all the details have even been determined yet.
Thanks. I wonder if the first semester I will literally spend all my time in my apartment studying ( and not on campus...). I wanted to go to class/study on campus to get accustomed to things and make friends early on.*sigh* Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
So when I looked at the NYITCOM website , and there is a banner that says the following:
New York Tech Alerts
LAST UPDATED JUNE 22, 2020

All summer 2020 courses, admissions events, and new student orientation will be held remotely. Information regarding the re-opening of the New York campuses can be found at nyit.edu/reopening.

New York City and Long Island Campus Access Policy updates can be found at nyit.edu/alerts.
The problem is that that's for NYIT, not NYITCOM specifically. The last official news I received, specific to NYITCOM, said orientation "will follow a hybrid model and start August 5th with on campus activities". They very well might be in the midst of changing that, but I would operate under the assumption that you will have to show up on the 5th.

Reactions: 2 users

I was thinking about that too but I think leasing near the school is worth it. For one, you can make friends and room mates that will be M1 and study with them at home. More importantly, you'll be close to campus within minutes and that is worth it. 10-20 minute travel for lunch or whatever imo is worth the rent. Worse case scenario you can change your mind later and for the remainder three years commute.

I was thinking about that too but I think leasing near the school is worth it. For one, you can make friends and room mates that will be M1 and study with them at home. More importantly, you'll be close to campus within minutes and that is worth it. 10-20 minute travel for lunch or whatever imo is worth the rent. Worse case scenario you can change your mind later and for the remainder three years commute.
Haha I live in MA so I have to live near school anyway.
Does anybody know what the parking situation is like at the med school? Do we park alongside the undergrads? Did anybody start getting a permit?

I used to be excited for fridays because it meant it was almost the weekend, but now it is just stressful waiting for WL movement

Best day of my life! Accepted off the waitlist for OW! Lots of work still to do but I'm freaking out with joy right now!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
GOT ACCEPTED TO OW TODAY!! CANNOT CONTAIN MYSELF!! Looking forward to meeting all of you at some point :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
From all the students accepted today is anyone having trouble accessing their NYITCOM email in order to pay the deposit?

From all the students accepted today is anyone having trouble accessing their NYITCOM email in order to pay the deposit?
The acceptance email says that we get our NYITCOM email tomorrow at 10am so I assume we can pay the deposit once that is set up for us

ACCEPTED! I’m gonna be a doctor! Got into Jonesboro! It’s surreal I’m having to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming. I got the one A I needed.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Congrats to everyone who got in! Was just wondering how many people were still on the waitlist for JB?

Been on the JB waitlist and been sending monthly updates, LOI, final masters transcript, everything. Still not off the waitlist :( been waiting every day of the week and every Friday for that A email. I called admissions and they say all you can do now is just send updates to improve your chances, but I've been doing that for monthssss :(

• Sad
You got this guys!
Don’t lose hope, you can do what ever you put your mind to.

I never lost hope ( I got scared towards the end tbh) and I continued to show interest. Showing interest makes a world of a difference, I feel like that was one reason why I was able to make it off the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Like what’s being said, don’t lose hope and make sure you display your current intent on attending! Keep moving forward and remain positive (even at times that feel impossible). You can do this!

Totally! Don’t lose hope! This is my third cycle and I’ve been on waitlists basically nonstop now for THREE YEARS! Sooner or later it will happen if you want it bad enough! Don’t give up!

Totally! Don’t lose hope! This is my third cycle and I’ve been on waitlists basically nonstop now for THREE YEARS! Sooner or later it will happen if you want it bad enough! Don’t give up!

sameee its my 3rd cycle too!! and now starting my 4th just in case but do i really wanna drop so much money on apps if i end up getting in via this waitlist :(

sameee its my 3rd cycle too!! and now starting my 4th just in case but do i really wanna drop so much money on apps if i end up getting in via this waitlist :(
Yooooooo I feel that! But if it’s what you really want, you won’t think about this money later. (Especially when you compare it to the Mount Everest of debt from medical school) :)

You got this guys!
Don’t lose hope, you can do what ever you put your mind to.

I never lost hope ( I got scared towards the end tbh) and I continued to show interest. Showing interest makes a world of a difference, I feel like that was one reason why I was able to make it off the waitlist.
Agreed, this is my third cycle and I got in. It'll happen for the rest of you too! I believe it!

• Love
Sorry to barge in again
Does anybody know anything about Dickson garden apartments? Someone is looking for a roommate there but it's one of those places that almost unlisted...no phone number, no listing on apartments.com. Nothing.

Does anyone have any info about how much of class will be on campus and how much will be online? Have they released any info on this for OW because I haven’t not seen anything.

Does anyone have any info about how much of class will be on campus and how much will be online? Have they released any info on this for OW because I haven’t not seen anything.
Not yet. During zoom orientation session, they said they will be giving us the schedule in June, now that June is almost ending, not sure when this is actually going to happen!
All that I have been hearing is they might be one day on campus small group lab sessions (at the max 2 days), not sure for how many hours each week. Rest of the four days will be completely virtual. Again this information is not official, just what has been going around for quiet some time now.

Has anyone signed their contract for the Circle apartments? If so, how?