2019-2020 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone on the WL receive email about the master program?

Members don't see this ad.

An email went out today encouraging folks to contact the Site Dean at OW if they’re interested in deferring for a year. In exchange, they’d receive a one year tuition scholarship (~$63k) for when they enter next year as the Class of 2025. This is in response to the school wanting to “exceed CDC and local health department guidelines and to decrease the number of students entering this year.”

Thoughts?
If you're a gambling man/woman do this, get into the scholar program, boom you've only had to pay for one year of medical school. Sure it took you two more years but with the way the economy is going most of us aren't going to be able to retire until we're 75 anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly do not get the point of 1 hour in person orientation. They could have given us Ipad and other special gifts first day of our lab. Covid Test could have been done CVS near us too or our first day.

Members don't see this ad :)
wasting over an hour of instructional time along with an already compacted curriculum seems to be a bigger waste of time than having students come in for an hour before the school year starts.

I honestly do not get the point of 1 hour in person orientation. They could have given us Ipad and other special gifts first day of our lab. Covid Test could have been done CVS near us too or our first day.
wasting over an hour of instructional time along with an already compacted curriculum seems to be a bigger waste of time than having students come in for an hour before the school year starts.
Its symbolic, and also handing out things at lab will waste time in the lab building that needs to be quickly cleared and sanitized before the next group can come in. And since we'll be driving in our cars its even safer.

Reactions: 1 users
An email went out today encouraging folks to contact the Site Dean at OW if they’re interested in deferring for a year. In exchange, they’d receive a one year tuition scholarship (~$63k) for when they enter next year as the Class of 2025. This is in response to the school wanting to “exceed CDC and local health department guidelines and to decrease the number of students entering this year.”

Thoughts?

Would you mind sending me a pic of that email? From what I understand, it’s only a 10% tuition discount, which is what you’re receiving anyway. I haven’t seen the email though, so I can’t confirm that for sure. I’m just going off what another student told me.

I’m assuming there won’t be any waitlist movement

maybe there is a possibility someone did not show up to orientation today haha
With COVID, the storm, and travel issues I doubt the " not show up to orientation" thing actually costs you a seat these days ( is that even a thing at every medical school? Not showing up to orientation and your seat goes out?)

With COVID, the storm, and travel issues I doubt the " not show up to orientation" thing actually costs you a seat these days ( is that even a thing at every medical school? Not showing up to orientation and your seat goes out?)
oh sorry, I meant like someone changed their mind last minute

• Care
Have they provided any list for the items we need to buy like the tools?

Have they provided any list for the items we need to buy like the tools?
We should have ordered or welch allyn kits by now, we got an email for that like a month ago...

Guys due the storm/hurricane there has been some blockage in the streets and some detours so please make sure leave early and give yourself some extra time especially if u are commuting from futher away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that orientation did not even give our iPad's. What a waste of time. 10 minute in and I was out. What was the point of that? No schedule given, nothing. What is this school even doing? It's three days before school.

Wow that orientation did not even give our iPad's. What a waste of time. 10 minute in and I was out. What was the point of that? No schedule given, nothing. What is this school even doing? It's three days before school.
Did you watch the orientation videos/see the emails?
They'll give us our ipad next week. Its likely w the power outtage and that they have iPads in an electric locked safe.
Schedule for labs is on Akila, so I heard, but I dont have my wifi yet and I think anatomy lab schedule will be posted today.! There are lectures and videos posted on akila, and hopefully today we get an email explaining how to study and such.

Given that the entire point was the covid test I liked that it was fast. They were nice enough to give us food and drink. Given the situation I appreciate whatever they did. Take it as required testing thing rather than an orientation.

Update:

I think I just started figuring out Akila and Kaltura. Things are starting to make more sense now.

There’s a lot to do but nothing to worry about. We got this guys!

Update:

I think I just started figuring out Akila and Kaltura. Things are starting to make more sense now.

There’s a lot to do but nothing to worry about. We got this guys!
Seeing the amount of thing in Akila for week 2 does freak me out a little bit. It is a lot of work. Undergrad the first 2 weeks of freshmen year was know your teacher and school thing lol. I did not even open blackboard till week 2 or 3 if I remember correctly
Here we are taking a deep dive. It is little scary and exciting like a roller coaster haha

Anybody else sneeze like crazy after that test? I had to pull out (my car) fast and was like, sneezing a good 3 or 4 times while driving and it was stressful. The swab touches the exact nerves that make you sneeze :drowning:
Given that the entire point was the covid test I liked that it was fast. They were nice enough to give us food and drink. Given the situation I appreciate whatever they did. Take it as required testing thing rather than an orientation.

Seeing the amount of thing in Akila for week 2 does freak me out a little bit. It is a lot of work. Undergrad the first 2 weeks of freshmen year was know your teacher and school thing lol. I did not even open blackboard till week 2 or 3 if I remember correctly
Here we are taking a deep dive. It is little scary and exciting like a roller coaster haha
Welcome to medical school, enjoy the ride!

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else sneeze like crazy after that test? I had to pull out (my car) fast and was like, sneezing a good 3 or 4 times while driving and it was stressful. The swab touches the exact nerves that make you sneeze :drowning:
I almost did and I think teared up a bit. A person getting tested in front of me did sneeze so pretty normal I think.

So bc of the pandemic we have our lectures recorded/ but are recorded lectures available at NYITCOM anyway, even when there is no pandemic ( referring to asynchronous lectures)?

Does anyone have an average time frame for interview invite after sending in secondary?

Hi friends. I interviewed for this cycle (2020-2021) in September but wasn’t accepted in the first batch. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and was accepted later on WITHOUT being waitlisted? Thanks!

Hi guys I interviewed at NYITCOM-Ar on Nov, 16th. When do you guys think I will hear back? How soon did most people that interviewed hear back? Thanks!

Hi friends. I interviewed for this cycle (2020-2021) in September but wasn’t accepted in the first batch. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and was accepted later on WITHOUT being waitlisted? Thanks!

I was! To the AR location.

Is there anyone who applied in the 2019-20 cycle that has any information about, or is in, the masters program that they offer for those who are waitlisted?
I'd never even heard of that. If you got a random email for a master's program that's likely not connected to being on the WL. It's likely just a random email that got sent to everyone.

Interview invite a few minutes ago! ORM-IS
About 5/6 dates available-dispersed through Feb/March.