2019-2020 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow congrats. Really impressive. Was 8/2 the day you got the complete email or the date you submitted? Also are you IS or OOS?
8/2 was the day I got the complete interview, and I'm OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone been complete since around 7/24 and hear nothing back (R, II, hold)? Is there somewhere we can check our status?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone been complete since around 7/24 and hear nothing back (R, II, hold)? Is there somewhere we can check our status?
Complete since 7/23 with nothing. Don't believe there is a portal to check, so we just have to be patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we able to submit updates? If so should we just send them directly to admissions e-mail since there is no portal?

Complete since 7/11 and nothing - still pretty early..

Are we able to submit updates? If so should we just send them directly to admissions e-mail since there is no portal?
Yes! I emailed them my updates and then a few days later I got an interview invitation......o_O

Reactions: 4 users
did anyone interview here today? how did it go?

It was my first MMI and honestly wasn't too bad. They made us feel really comfortable. I may actually prefer this to the traditional interview now. Overall, nice facilities, campus, and student body.

P.S. they fed us well!

Reactions: 6 users
It was my first MMI and honestly wasn't too bad. They made us feel really comfortable. I may actually prefer this to the traditional interview now. Overall, nice facilities, campus, and student body.

P.S. they fed us well!
Please also share your food reviews on the food thread on the premed forum! ;)

• Haha
Hey guys, I want to submit my secondary but I have a question regarding the LOR requirement. I don't have any letters from undergraduate because I took a gap year but I do have a Committee Letter from my current SMP graduate program which includes 3 faculty letters (1 of them is from MD) and 1 letter from a supervisor. Will this satisfy the LOR requirement? Just wanna make sure before I burn $130 lol

Hey guys, I want to submit my secondary but I have a question regarding the LOR requirement. I don't have any letters from undergraduate because I took a gap year but I do have a Committee Letter from my current SMP graduate program which includes 3 faculty letters (1 of them is from MD) and 1 letter from a supervisor. Will this satisfy the LOR requirement? Just wanna make sure before I burn $130 lol

Make sure you have a letter from a non-science professor and from a professor "in your department" and you should be fine. You can also call them to clarify, they are pretty good about working with you on LORs that meet their requirements.

Make sure you have a letter from a non-science professor and from a professor "in your department" and you should be fine. You can also call them to clarify, they are pretty good about working with you on LORs that meet their requirements.
I don't have a non-science letter unfortunately since I graduated 2 years ago and they just replied:
"We require a non-science letter and two science letters from undergrad. Of these three letters, one must be from your undergraduate major/department. You may send one science letter from your graduate program to satisfy the second science letter from undergrad. These are hard requirements for traditional students graduating in 2017 and after.

If you are unable to have the required letters submitted on your behalf, you can send an email to [email protected] after you complete your secondary application, stating that you would like your application complete as is, with the letters you are having sent in. Please keep in mind that the strongest applications are those that have satisfied the required letters."

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a non-science letter unfortunately since I graduated 2 years ago and they just replied:
"We require a non-science letter and two science letters from undergrad. Of these three letters, one must be from your undergraduate major/department. You may send one science letter from your graduate program to satisfy the second science letter from undergrad. These are hard requirements for traditional students graduating in 2017 and after.

If you are unable to have the required letters submitted on your behalf, you can send an email to [email protected] after you complete your secondary application, stating that you would like your application complete as is, with the letters you are having sent in. Please keep in mind that the strongest applications are those that have satisfied the required letters."
FTFY. It says that's a hard requirement for traditional students. Call them and ask if the same is true for you.

Just go an interview. Complete date 7/11, scheduled the interview for 1/21 (first date).

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an interview! I was complete 8/13 (EXACTLY 6 weeks ago). OOS. I'm scheduled for late January. Stats are in my sig.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
II! Complete first week of July. Also scheduled for late January.

Does anyone know if theres a waitlist for an earlier interview date. Scheduled late jan just now

1569350271488.png

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
I find it so absurdly confusing that of ALL 9 of the New York schools I applied to... it’s this one that’s ignoring me?! People were not joking when they said that admissions was a crapshoot.

• Wow
I find it so absurdly confusing that of ALL 9 of the New York schools I applied to... it’s this one that’s ignoring me?! People were not joking when they said that admissions was a crapshoot.
When did you submit?

No disrespect but you have a LM of 70 and I of 76 and I haven't heard back either but I'm not thinking anything negatively of admissions. There's still time for an II, don't worry. And you at least heard back from 8 schools lol, even if they were rejections, you still are updated. I've heard back from only 2 schools out of 25+ and am left in the dark for the rest.

Day 1, complete 7/4.
I don’t think that NYMC looks at apps chronologically, so I wouldn’t be upset if I were you. I was complete in August, but others who just got IIs were complete in early July. Obviously, you’ve got a strong application and have been having a successful cycle. I wouldn’t be too worried if I were you. Most people can only dream of getting 8 IIs, so please know that you’re in like the top 1% and that it’s very rare to get interviews from all the schools you’ve applied to.

Applying to ANY school is a crapshoot because nobody knows exactly what type of fit they’re looking for. We’re still early in the cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think that NYMC looks at apps chronologically, so I wouldn’t be upset if I were you. I was complete in August, but others who just got IIs were complete in early July. Obviously, you’ve got a strong application and have been having a successful cycle. I wouldn’t be too worried if I were you. Most people can only dream of getting 8 IIs, so please know that you’re in like the top 1% and that it’s very rare to get interviews from all the schools you’ve applied to.

Applying to ANY school is a crapshoot because nobody knows exactly what type of fit they’re looking for. We’re still early in the cycle.
Oh I know, for sure I’ve been lucky. But I find it so strange that schools I thought were pipe dreams are interested, and the ones I thought were a sure thing seemingly aren’t. No such thing as a “safety” school after all, I suppose.

Reactions: 3 users
Is the 6 week deadline just for them to "complete" the application, or to send an II vs R decision?

Is the 6 week deadline just for them to "complete" the application, or to send an II vs R decision?
I got my II on the 6 week date, but others got IIs well after their 6 weeks are up. I think it might just be a goal deadline for them?
edit: I wouldn't worry too much either way. They don't seem to really be sticking to it for many people.

FWIW, on my interview day someone that works for the school said they tend to interview IS people first. Idk why or if it’s necessarily true. Alas, this is all a guessing game at the end of the day.

Also, it’s their 2nd year as P/F (related to a comment above)

Where else have you got II's? NYMC knows they can't get most of the people anyway. So they are realistic.

Where else have you got II's? NYMC knows they can't get most of the people anyway. So they are realistic.
The SUNYs. But you’re probably right, NYMC is generally wicked low-yield, and in a state with so many schools, they probably sniffed out that I’d end up at one of the much cheaper state schools regardless.

The SUNYs. But you’re probably right, NYMC is generally wicked low-yield, and in a state with so many schools, they probably sniffed out that I’d end up at one of the much cheaper state schools regardless.
I'm so jealous of your in state system. At least they like you guys. Meanwhile, in CA, they don't really care :(

I'm so jealous of your in state system. At least they like you guys. Meanwhile, in CA, they don't really care :(
NY is pretty great, if you can get past the weather. Plus, if you come here as OOS you become IS if you rent an apartment that first year. Pay any utility bill in-state for 12 months and you get the tuition discount the next 3 years. Pretty sweet stuff.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I dont know if that is giving out too much information but people who interviewed: are we just discussing the scenarios in MMI or do we have to act out?

Hey man, I'm traditional. Do you think I should still apply here?
Sorry! I thought you were non trad. I don't know - it's up to you. Is there absolutely no way you can get that LOR?

Hey man, I'm traditional. Do you think I should still apply here?
Dont apply here as a trad without LOR reqs. Their secondary gives no room for you to explain yourself (its literally check boxes) and you'd likely be feeding them money (a hefty $130) because it is a low-yield school (12k+ apps/fair stats). Without being an asswipe when I say this, its hard to justify picking you over someone with a similar profile where they have the LOR reqs to a tee.

There's no one you can ask for an LOR? Even a B+ or better, there are professors out there that are understanding and willing to help students in a crunch so long as they did satisfactory in a class. I did this for an emergency backup when one guy didnt get back to me. I gave him my transcript, personal statement, and resume and he said he would write one for me.

Just some food for thought, but again, Id hesitate to drop 130 here without meeting the reqs.

Sorry! I thought you were non trad. I don't know - it's up to you. Is there absolutely no way you can get that LOR?
Nah I graduated in 2017. Just to clarify, my Committee Letter from my grad program contains 4 additional letters, 1 of which is an MD letter and the other one is my volunteer supervisor at the hospital where I've been volunteering for about 3 years. Not sure if not having an undergrad letter would have an impact considering I have a committee letter. Maybe I can contact my professor who wrote a letter for me for my current Master's program.

Nah I graduated in 2017. Just to clarify, my Committee Letter from my grad program contains 4 additional letters, 1 of which is an MD letter and the other one is my volunteer supervisor at the hospital where I've been volunteering for about 3 years. Not sure if not having an undergrad letter would have an impact considering I have a committee letter. Maybe I can contact my professor who wrote a letter for me for my current Master's program.
If you go to the requirements it looks like they require a committee or individuals from the undergrad and if you have completed a grad program then they require committee or individuals from the grad as well. I think they require both sets.

Hold email this morning. Do some holds get interviews or is this a subtle R?

Reactions: 3 users
After all my whining two days ago, guess who got an interview? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users