2019-2020 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any idea when second look day is this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I haven't checked any previous posts but I am currently a 3rd year at NYMC. I remember the ups and downs of my application year and the anxiety that SDN causes with the users with 4.0/528 stats or the people with 20 interviews and 19 acceptances and 1 waitlist. I hold no grudge bc those applicants definitely got there through hard work! But I was not one of those and always felt inadequate.

If anyone has any questions about NYMC, being a med student, what the interview is like or just want to chat please do not hesitate to message me! :) Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how long the NYMC interview season goes to? I haven’t heard anything from this place after I submitted my application back in July....

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how long the NYMC interview season goes to? I haven’t heard anything from this place after I submitted my application back in July....
I used to sit in on lunch and breakfast panel to meet and greet interviewees. [INSIDER KNOWLEDGE] I remember there being dates until March 27th for the sign up sheet :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, I haven't checked any previous posts but I am currently a 3rd year at NYMC. I remember the ups and downs of my application year and the anxiety that SDN causes with the users with 4.0/528 stats or the people with 20 interviews and 19 acceptances and 1 waitlist. I hold no grudge bc those applicants definitely got there through hard work! But I was not one of those and always felt inadequate.

If anyone has any questions about NYMC, being a med student, what the interview is like or just want to chat please do not hesitate to message me! :) Best of luck to everyone!

Thank you so much for this! I generally try to stay off SDN for that very reason but the NYMC forum has overall been very friendly and helpful, which I think is really representative of the student body there. I really love the school's warmth and inclusivity and I am hoping for the best for everyone here because you all seem pretty cool and could uphold that sense of community at NYMC :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

i have a few questions!
how are you liking 3rd year?
how did you set up your rotations? is it easy to choose rotations so that you can live in Manhattan for the year?
did you feel well prepared for step?
how do you feel about the large class size?
how is your school/life balance?

i have a few questions!
how did you set up your rotations? is it easy to choose rotations so that you can live in Manhattan for the year?
No problem! Happy to answer :)

-I am loving it, being out of the classroom and finally doing what I came here for is unbelievable. 3rd year is a hit or miss for people. If you have good mentors and preceptors it is a fantastic experience no matter what specialty. For me I have had the fortune of being mentored by physicians that truly love what they are doing and teaching.
-I realize that step studying and board prep is all just hurdles to ensure there are checkpoints in our education. The real world medicine is vastly more complex and different than the clinical vignettes that you are so used to from doing questions and reading textbooks.
-I never really enjoyed the classroom learning as much actually practicing clinical medicine so I may be biased haha

-It is a lottery system. We have a huge network of hospitals and clinical sites. But for majority of my friends that wanted Manhattan got 80%+ sites in the city.
-With that being said, they usually just rent an apartment for 1 year and we have a group to put up and look for sublets so it isn't too much of an issue if you have a clinical site which isn't in the city

-I've spoken to many people at different medical schools...and well...most of first 2 years is taught by PhD practically all across the nation...so the good lecturers are good and well...the not so good is just...no comment
-We are transitioning into a System based approach and it has its benefits and cons but overall...step studying is just signing up for board prep material online and just ripping through it and doing as many practice Qs you can get your hands on.
-the case based learning that our school offers much like other med schools got me some questions during Step 1 which has never come up during classroom lectures so...
-our class consistently does better than the national average and I've met some people with 260+ so its all just individually how hard you put in effort

-great variety of people with various interests.
-I didn't feel that the large classroom size affected my learning at all. All of my lecturers were available in just 1 email and we really do have a solid community
-After exams, it wasn't hard to find parties with bring your own apple juice and what not :)

-this is all individual based. Some people love hitting the library 24/7
-as for me I would gym, do recreational activities with people.
-tons of clubs and extracurricular activities are available
-except for the last 6 months leading up to Step 1 haha

Hopefully this helped.

Reactions: 6 users
Pre II hold..what are the chances of getting off hold this late in the cycle?

+4 for the Pre II hold. Complete early/mid sept. So, I guess that's basically meaningless?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow - anyone else complete like July/Aug with complete silence still?

Reactions: 7 users
My friend got a II in January last year, no previous hold. I received a hold last month

Hey guys. I'd love to withdraw my acceptance/application but I don't think their portal has this option. Has anyone else done this and just ended up sending them a quick email?

At this point maybe. But earlier on I think its more like a deferral.
A hold at every school is technically a deferral or "wait til later." At most schools, its also a soft R in general lol

Why don’t they just reject you and get it over with if it’s just a soft R?
That's what my mom's rationalization was- that if they sent something that's not an R then it's not an R. And according to the " official rejections" list , NYMC has sent out actual R"s at this point, so it's not something like " Oh , well they do R's at the end but before that it's a hold". I'm not going crazy, if I get another interview invite I'm pretty sure it would be DO at this point, but I'm js.

It's not always a reject because some people still have a chance at coming off of hold and getting an II, even though it's not reported in the thread.

Yeah maybe they could make the "Hold applicants pool" smaller and just reject people, but I guess it just depends on each individual school and committee.

It's not always a reject because some people still have a chance at coming off of hold and getting an II, even though it's not reported in the thread.

Yeah maybe they could make the "Hold applicants pool" smaller and just reject people, but I guess it just depends on each individual school and committee.
I think Hold just means you'll hear something sooner rather than later? The hold pool isn't necessarily big, it just is on SDN.

As TrumpGooru said its not always an R, but for most ppl it will be. Point of hold category is "not right now, we wanna see more people in the app pool and come back to yall if we have spots left." If they give R's instead of holds they may be out of people before their sptos are filled

Adding to the list of pre-II holds this morning. Complete mid-August, with an update in late December.

II today! Complete late July. (Long-time lurker, but I wanted to post to hopefully be encouraging to those who were complete around the same time and haven't heard back yet!)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
II today! Complete late July. (Long-time lurker, but I wanted to post to hopefully be encouraging to those who were complete around the same time and haven't heard back yet!)
And you got a hold or no? ( before the II)?

Congrats!! Glad there’s still hope for those of us who submitted early but haven’t heard anything yet!!

Adding my data point to the list of people put on hold. LM 72, complete mid-August. Sent an update in early December.

Hi! Does anyone who has been accepted or is otherwise knowledgeable know what date orientation/class starts this year?

People come off hold and interview, several in my class did and in past years threads you’ll see it too. It’s not a rejection until they send a rejection.

Interviewed here today and loved the school! Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions :giggle:

I know this type of post is pointless but does anyone know the admission % post-interview? i reallyyyy loved this school and only felt mediocre/average about my interview; nothing bad but nothing incredible

Hi! Does anyone who has been accepted or is otherwise knowledgeable know what date orientation/class starts this year?
I would assume similar to the previous years
F2D18D64-0A64-48B0-BCBB-68DD4E477921.png

• Hmm