Oct 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you get the email or the details? Thanks
They emailed me today with regards to how the MMI is going to be conducted. They sent a calendar invite to accept for my specific Interview time/date, the zoom video chat link, and then the confidentiality form and a few other things. Seems like they will have the interview and then an information session with regards to financial aid. It says it’ll be an hour and forty minutes.

Reactions: dgray and Wakanda70

dgray

2+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2017
Status
Medical Student
could you share what you know about housing/move-in? im likely attending here next year and wondering what students generally do for housing (on or off campus) and the timing of it, too :)
Move in is typically the Friday/Weekend before the first day of orientation - for my first year move in was July 27 and orientation started Monday July 30.

Most people live on campus the first two years, with a good chunk of people moving off campus but in the nearby area in the second year. For the third and fourth year, it’s split between people who want to stay in westchester for their rotations, or in the city.

I have always lived off campus and commuted up from the city - I live in the Washington heights/Inwood neighborhood of upper Manhattan. It takes about half an hour to get to school and I have found it pretty convenient, but socially it is nicer to stay on campus for the first year. There are a decent number of people who commute, commonly from nearby locations like tarrytown or from further away like upper manhattan, riverdale, or the upper east side.

About the Ads
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I did not hear back this entire cycle and decided to send them an email. They've stated that I am on hold and application can still be reviewed for an interview till the end of March. I never received an email that I was on hold. Is this a refusal?

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
could you share what you know about housing/move-in? im likely attending here next year and wondering what students generally do for housing (on or off campus) and the timing of it, too :)
I called admissions for the move in dates so i could move the plane tickets i bought for second look day to move in day and they said furnished housing will move in July 23 and unfurnished housing will move in July 24. The housing application is online and they haven’t begun reviewing applications yet. they fill housing first come first served style

lalano1230

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

I did not hear back this entire cycle and decided to send them an email. They've stated that I am on hold and application can still be reviewed for an interview till the end of March. I never received an email that I was on hold. Is this a refusal?
Interesting, I also never heard back since July..maybe im on hold too haha

Feb 11, 2020
Unfortunately it looks like the covid-19 outbreak is delaying decisions. Haven't seen any decisions posted since February 28. Understandable considering a lot of the adcoms are probably involved as clinicians.

Reactions: Talldoctor96

CaptainWEMT

Directorate of Disgruntled Cat Toys
2+ Year Member
May 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Interviewed 2/10, waitlisted just now

About the Ads
Dec 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Interview 02/03/2020, just got waitlisted. Can anyone who experienced this previously or current students provide any info on how the waitlist moves in NYMC? Thanks for any help

Dec 17, 2018
Interview 02/03/2020, just got waitlisted. Can anyone who experienced this previously or current students provide any info on how the waitlist moves in NYMC? Thanks for any help
Last year not a single person reported getting off the NYMC waitlist to start this past summer. Aka for the past two cycles it’s been really bad. Just being honest. I’m sure some people got off but I’ve never seen it on another thread where no one got off (a few got deferred acceptance) and this is a pretty big thread too

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
People come off the waitlist. It’s hard to predict how any given year will go even without a pandemic apocalypse, so it’s anyone’s guess what will happen this year.

MSAR probably has the reported info. Unfortunately all there is to do is wait and see how things play out.

MAB5851

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
As a current second year, I can say that there are people in my class and the first-year class who were accepted off the waitlist during the summer. That being said, they are very good at managing their accepted class. They accept more students than the eventual class size, knowing that some will withdraw their acceptance. Because of this, they have had very little waitlist movement the past two years, but there have been a few people pulled off. It all depends on how many students decide to go other places.

Sep 26, 2018
I called admissions for the move in dates so i could move the plane tickets i bought for second look day to move in day and they said furnished housing will move in July 23 and unfurnished housing will move in July 24. The housing application is online and they haven’t begun reviewing applications yet. they fill housing first come first served style
cool thanks for relaying the info! is the housing application open as of now or did they say when it would open? is it found on the touro portal? i haven't looked at it since submitting the deposit

About the Ads
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

Attachments

notthrowingawaymyshot

MD Class of 2024 (◠‿◠✿)
2+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Got a pre-II R today as well but was never put on hold! Good luck everyone else!

• Sad
Reactions: iluvmedicine528
Feb 10, 2020
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Last year not a single person reported getting off the NYMC waitlist to start this past summer. Aka for the past two cycles it’s been really bad. Just being honest. I’m sure some people got off but I’ve never seen it on another thread where no one got off (a few got deferred acceptance) and this is a pretty big thread too
MSAR lists that 50 of 250 wait listed applicants get accepted, not sure how accurate it is

Reactions: Acm8989

Acm8989

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
MSAR lists that 50 of 250 wait listed applicants get accepted, not sure how accurate it is
I certainly wouldn’t make any broad assumptions about wait list movement based on SDN forum postings (or lack thereof), but I also don’t fully trust the MSAR either. I’m guessing it’s less than 50 but definitely not 0 lol.

Reactions: Talldoctor96
About the Ads
Dec 17, 2018
I certainly wouldn’t make any broad assumptions about wait list movement based on SDN forum postings (or lack thereof), but I also don’t fully trust the MSAR either. I’m guessing it’s less than 50 but definitely not 0 lol.
I mean like its a known fact that very very few people got off the waitilists the last few years. Its not just based on SDN. The SDN trends were confirmed by the admissions deans who said the waitlists really weren't used and that some were offered deferred admissions.

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I mean like its a known fact that very very few people got off the waitilists the last few years. Its not just based on SDN. The SDN trends were confirmed by the admissions deans who said the waitlists really weren't used and that some were offered deferred admissions.
Let’s make a bet, my money is on movement this year from NYMC waitlist. Any takers?

Dec 17, 2018
Let’s make a bet, my money is on movement this year from NYMC waitlist. Any takers?
I bet you ONE DOLLAR officially right here right now (for the record theres nothing more in the world than for all of you to get off the waitlist i know how much it sucks :(()

Last edited:
Reactions: Acm8989
Dec 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a theory. This is the first year that med schools cannot see what other schools an applicant has been accepted to. This creates a lot more uncertainty in whether or not an applicant will accept their offer. Med schools want to have the highest ratio of matriculants:acceptances for several reasons (increases prestige, rank, etc). Because they have no idea what other schools applicants have gotten into I feel like med schools in general are accepting less people up front and waitlisting more people. Additionally, even if that isn't true and they are not waitlisting more people, there is a good chance that there will be a lot more movement off waitlists in general because admissions committees are offering spots to applicants "blind" not knowing if that offer is comparable to another offer they have. Does this make sense? Thoughts?

kingdomheart

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I have a theory. This is the first year that med schools cannot see what other schools an applicant has been accepted to. This creates a lot more uncertainty in whether or not an applicant will accept their offer. Med schools want to have the highest ratio of matriculants:acceptances for several reasons (increases prestige, rank, etc). Because they have no idea what other schools applicants have gotten into I feel like med schools in general are accepting less people up front and waitlisting more people. Additionally, even if that isn't true and they are not waitlisting more people, there is a good chance that there will be a lot more movement off waitlists in general because admissions committees are offering spots to applicants "blind" not knowing if that offer is comparable to another offer they have. Does this make sense? Thoughts?

I think that started first with the 2018-2019 cycle. So this would be the second year I believe

Dec 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Last edited:
Reactions: kingdomheart

Acm8989

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You're right I just looked it up!
I still think your original point holds up though! Apparently last year when this new policy rolled out a bunch of schools (including nymc) over-enrolled, so perhaps this year they are being extra cautious and still adjusting to the new PTE/CTE rules. Just from what I can tell, it’s almost shocking how many people I know are stuck on so many waitlists, it doesn’t seem normal. Here’s hoping for big WL movement next month!

MAB5851

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anyone receive a financial aid package yet?
Financial Aid packages do not come out until the summer, but be aware that if you are hoping to see your financial aid package to try to choose between schools, you probably won't get much from NYMC. NYMC does not have merit-based aid that I know of. They have some grants for minority students, and they have some need-based grants. It's a small school with a small alumni and donor base. Don't expect to get a full-ride.

I am a current student, and I receive need-based aid. However, last year I had to take out at least $58k in loans (after the grant) to qualify for the need-based grant. I don't know if that is a number that is used for everyone, or if it was specifically calculated based on my FAFSA info, but I'm just sharing to let you know that even if you get need-based aid, you will probably still have significant loans each year.

StewartOConnor

Just want choccy milk and chicken tendies
Sep 28, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
In the Facebook group they said April 14 and we will get an email in the next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hopefulmed57
About the Ads