2019-2020 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
where can we submit update letters

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance and scholarship yesterday!!
Hope that continues some movement for everyone on the waitlist

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Withdrew my acceptance today! I hope that you deserving future doctors hear back soon!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
How long does waitlist movement typically go on for? End of June? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted of the WL this morning! Interviewed 2/27, WL 3/30.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Accepted off the waitlist as well at 7:45 this morning! First MD acceptance!! Interviewed 2/10, placed on WL 3/17

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys! Does anyone know if most first-year students live on- or off-campus? TIA

Yeah so far I know of Albany, Einstein and Hofstra that have started offering interviewees placement in the AMSNY program. I do not believe that NYMC has started offering the program for applicants yet.
I was selected for AMSNY around March/April. I can't speak for other students, so I'm not sure when others were selected

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know why NYMC is ranked 92-144 by US News? Based on its MCAT and GPA, it should be ranked in the 40's.

Can you elaborate? It’s been unranked as long as I’ve known it but I haven’t seen US News in a long time
US News surveyed 188 med schools. The top 91 schools got a numerical ranking, the 92-144 schools got a lumped '92-144' ranking, and the rest got 'unranked'. The top 91 ranking pretty much follows their average MCAT and GPA scores. If we only use those as ranking method, NYMC should be ranked in the 40's. However, US News only counts MCAT/GPA as 20% of the overall scores. I wonder what other categories NYMC failed so badly and ended up in 92-144.

US News surveyed 188 med schools. The top 91 schools got a numerical ranking, the 92-144 schools got a lumped '92-144' ranking, and the rest got 'unranked'. The top 91 ranking pretty much follows their average MCAT and GPA scores. If we only use those as ranking method, NYMC should be ranked in the 40's. However, US News only counts MCAT/GPA as 20% of the overall scores. I wonder what other categories NYMC failed so badly and ended up in 92-144.

There’s a lot that goes into USNWR, not only just GPA/MCAT. NIH research funding also goes into it. It’s also dependent on what the school reports to US News. It’s a pretty intensive process that requires a lot of work on the part of the school. I remember at the hospital I worked at, it took about 6 months of preparation to submit materials for USNWR, so NYMC might just choose not to take part in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a lot that goes into USNWR, not only just GPA/MCAT. NIH research funding also goes into it. It’s also dependent on what the school reports to US News. It’s a pretty intensive process that requires a lot of work on the part of the school. I remember at the hospital I worked at, it took about 6 months of preparation to submit materials for USNWR, so NYMC might just choose not to take part in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I'm suspecting too. It'd be a mistake if that's the case because US News is the biggest advertisement of med school reputations. It'd affect the quality of new applicants and the career opportunities in matching.

Hey! How long has it taken for you guys to be accepted to the Class of 2024 page? I asked to join about a week ago but haven't been accepted yet. And if you weren't accepted right away, how have you been going about finding housing/roommates?

Also has anyone had any trouble with switching the email set up from @student.touro.edu to @student.nymc.edu? I'm following the Google instructions they sent. I have added the "@student.nymc.edu" email address under "send email as" in Gmail, but I am unable to then sign into Gmail under the @student.nymc.edu account. I have also not gotten a confirmation email. I see something about adding an SMTP server for school accounts in Gmail but was not sure if this was related (??) Any help is appreciated!

That's what I'm suspecting too. It'd be a mistake if that's the case because US News is the biggest advertisement of med school reputations. It'd affect the quality of new applicants and the career opportunities in matching.

With all due respect I doubt it sincerely that caliber of residency placement is affected by US News rankings.. In the ultra-competitive specialties the T-20 schools have an advantage. Other than that, it has essentially no impact on residency match. When you reach that point you'll find that it is much more on the student than the institution. As for applicants, Med School is a seller's market and they're not hurting for apps with >10k/year.

My thoughts are this: they aren't at the top of the USNWR list and they know it, it serves no purpose to go through that process to get results they already know.

Does anyone know how strict they are on immunization requirements? I'm having a really hard time getting into my physician's office for the Hep B titer, physical, and Tdap vaccine.

Does anyone know how strict they are on immunization requirements? I'm having a really hard time getting into my physician's office for the Hep B titer, physical, and Tdap vaccine.

In a normal year it’s very strict; COVID times who knows. Write an email to student health and ask what to do, they’re very helpful.

In the e-mail they sent they stated that they understand that it may be difficult to see a physician based on your location but you should get in all of the other forms such as your immunization history and pages 1-3 of the packet.

Hey! How long has it taken for you guys to be accepted to the Class of 2024 page? I asked to join about a week ago but haven't been accepted yet. And if you weren't accepted right away, how have you been going about finding housing/roommates?

I was accepted in a week! Personally, I am doing on campus housing so i filled out the housing application, paid the deposit, and did the roommate placement quiz. Current students said they do a good job placing you with a compatible roommate! you can also request a roommate but you both have to request each other and submit the form at the same time. Housing is first come first serve but most students get in!

In the e-mail they sent they stated that they understand that it may be difficult to see a physician based on your location but you should get in all of the other forms such as your immunization history and pages 1-3 of the packet.

Yeah, I get that. I'm just confused because the immunizations (Hep B, Tdap) are part of the requirements. And that's what I'm having a hard time accessing.

I was accepted in a week! Personally, I am doing on campus housing so i filled out the housing application, paid the deposit, and did the roommate placement quiz. Current students said they do a good job placing you with a compatible roommate! you can also request a roommate but you both have to request each other and submit the form at the same time. Housing is first come first serve but most students get in!
Do you know how they are managing Social Distance in campus housing? Do you need to wear mask all the time?

Do you know how they are managing Social Distance in campus housing? Do you need to wear mask all the time?
I am not sure exactly, I know they have increased cleaning protocols. Once you get added to the FB page you can ask and the current students who live on campus now respond within a few hours. Also we have a town hall meeting for all M1 students on the 10th and you can submit any questions! Hopefully it’s informative

I just committed to enroll at another school and am withdrawing from the WL. To those of you who are still waiting, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 8 users
anyone here get accepted off the waitlist in the last 1-2 weeks?

anyone hear since?
Do they send back some sort of reply to waitlisted applicants before the end of July or is there just silence? Also does anyone know how many applicants are still on the waitlist at this point or if there are still spots open?

Do they send back some sort of reply to waitlisted applicants before the end of July or is there just silence? Also does anyone know how many applicants are still on the waitlist at this point or if there are still spots open?

You wait until there’s no more waiting.

The only people who know how many people are in the class/on the waitlist are the admissions dean and assistants.

As the words of the wise philosopher Tom Petty so eloquently remind us: the waiting is the hardest part.

looking for some help from current students! I just received the SOM computer software/hardware requirements updated as of june 2020, and it says our devices cannot be more than "3 years old at any point in time as an enrolled SOM or AMPstudent"??? is the expectation that we have new computers at the beginning of medical schools..? :/

Same question as above! Also, if any current students are here, can someone accept my request to the accepted FB students page :cryi:

looking for some help from current students! I just received the SOM computer software/hardware requirements updated as of june 2020, and it says our devices cannot be more than "3 years old at any point in time as an enrolled SOM or AMPstudent"??? is the expectation that we have new computers at the beginning of medical schools..? :/

Captain Barbossa said it best: the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

If your computer is working well and fully capable of running the needed software, then it’s okay to use. Just plan on budgeting for a new one in a year or two in case it transitions to a state of not working. The point is to have a new enough machine that (our amazing) IT can work with and you’ll be compatible with exam software and image viewing.

Apparently WL movement continues until mid-July. I am currently "planned to enroll" at another school but would prefer NYMC. Do you think being planned to enroll would hurt my chances of getting off the WL at NYMC?

Apparently WL movement continues until mid-July. I am currently "planned to enroll" at another school but would prefer NYMC. Do you think being planned to enroll would hurt my chances of getting off the WL at NYMC?
I definitely think so. Based off all the waitlist movement since PTE deadline, all accepted students have stated that it is their first acceptance (which means they haven’t planned to enroll anywhere). They seem to want secure spots and high yield commitments from accepted students to probably move up in their rankings. I call all this “holistic” crap complete bs.

But anyways, definitely do not unplan to enroll at the school you have now as then they would have the right to withdraw you. Better to have a secure spot than a potential spot. Just my two cents.

I definitely think so. Based off all the waitlist movement since PTE deadline, all accepted students have stated that it is their first acceptance (which means they haven’t planned to enroll anywhere). They seem to want secure spots and high yield commitments from accepted students to probably move up in their rankings. I call all this “holistic” crap complete bs.

But anyways, definitely do not unplan to enroll at the school you have now as then they would have the right to withdraw you. Better to have a secure spot than a potential spot. Just my two cents.

To give you a little bit of hope, I was accepted a few weeks back off the WL. I had sent an update letter a week or two prior mentioning that I was accepted/PTE at another school, so I know for a fact that did not play a negative role. Since WL movement has slowed, my guess is that the next wave would be in July, when people are forced to give up multiple acceptances and CTE.

Write a letter to NYMC and tell them that although you’re PTE at school x, you will come if accepted and not go to school X.

I've only seen 2 people mentioned that they got merit scholarship offer in this long forum thread, and both of them withdrew. Does NYMC offer scholarship to a large pool of students or a very small pool?