2019-2020 Nova Southeastern (Allopathic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
1. Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

2. Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)

3. At NSU CAM, we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)

4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)

5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation?

If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)

6. Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years?

7. Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?

8. Have you previously applied to any medical school (M.D., D.O., international)?
If yes, please explain what steps you have taken to improve your overall application profile for this admissions cycle. (Maximum 4000 characters)

9. Are you the first person in your immediate family to earn a baccalaureate degree? (Yes or No, no essay)

10. Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies in either academic or standardized test performances throughout your undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate career.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Nova Southeastern School of Allopathic Medicine (coming soon!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how many applicants they had last year?

MSAR says ~2000 for the 2018 admitted class, but this past cycle did that number increase?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Please provide an example that indicates your ability to function effectively as a productive member of a team working toward a common objective. Elaborate on leadership roles you held in this capacity and how you solved problems that arose. Indicate highlights learned from this experience. (Maximum 4000 characters)

2. Please share some personal examples of problem solving in a team environment and/or leadership experience that would lead to your success in a PBL environment. (Maximum 4000 characters)

3. At NSU CAM, we value the unique perspective that each applicant brings. Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you. (Maximum 4000 characters)

4. How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)

5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation?

6. Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years?

7. Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?

8. Have you previously applied to any medical school (M.D., D.O., international)?

If yes, please explain what steps you have taken to improve your overall application profile for this admissions cycle. (Maximum 4000 characters)

9. Are you the first person in your immediate family to earn a baccalaureate degree? (Yes or No, no essay)

10. Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies in either academic or standardized test performances throughout your undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate career.

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 user
How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Is this asking for two separate questions? One is about non-trad coursework and the other is about service learning??

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received 07/10 and submitted 07/11! I received this message after payment: "You will receive a determination on your application within 2-3 weeks of your payment submission. If you have any additional questions regarding the application process, please contact admissions at [email protected]. Good luck, and we look forward to reviewing your application soon."

How has your academic work beyond the “traditional” pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine? Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine. (Maximum 4000 characters)

Is this asking for two separate questions? One is about non-trad coursework and the other is about service learning??

I was wondering the same thing! What on God's green earth are they actually asking here?

Last edited:
Well, that was a beast of a secondary.. Submitted today. Based on the previous years' threads, I would take the 2-3 week estimate with a grain of salt. Many applicants heard no news for several months. But I think we can expect to see the very first batch of invites in 2-3 weeks or so.

So did everyone else receive an email saying the 2-3 week thing? I've completed the secondary and submitted payment but never got an email and can't find anywhere that explicitly says "application complete"

How much emphasis do you guys put on the character count here? Do you think it is important to try to reach close to 4000? For some of mine that are more objective like the "Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies" question or the "Have you previously applied to any medical school" question are closer to 2500. Just curious to see people's thoughts.

How much emphasis do you guys put on the character count here? Do you think it is important to try to reach close to 4000? For some of mine that are more objective like the "Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies" question or the "Have you previously applied to any medical school" question are closer to 2500. Just curious to see people's thoughts.
I did 4000 character for two essays. Everything else was 3000 or less. It is better to be concise and well written vs. filled with fluff and rambling. I don’t think they’ll be judging your character count unless it sounds superfluous.

I did ~3000 characters for the first several questions, about 1500-2000 for the additional questions and obviously skipped irrelevant questions.

Is anyone else having difficulty figuring out how questions #1 and #2 are not basically asking the exact same thing...?

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else having difficulty figuring out how questions #1 and #2 are not basically asking the exact same thing...?
I thought of two different instances of me working as part of a team (hopefully you've done this more than once!) and decided which example fit the PBL environment thing more first, which you can find on their site.

I thought of two different instances of me working as part of a team (hopefully you've done this more than once!) and decided which example fit the PBL environment thing more first, which you can find on their site.

Yeah that's pretty much what I did as well. I just thought it was a bit odd how the two questions essentially seemed to be the same thing worded in two different ways, except for the addition of the PBL in the second.

Did any of you not have service learning activities to touch upon? I only really have one thing that I think I could mention that is even remotely close to this but I almost feel like it would be better to just not mention it since it is on the weaker side

Did any of you not have service learning activities to touch upon? I only really have one thing that I think I could mention that is even remotely close to this but I almost feel like it would be better to just not mention it since it is on the weaker side
I have a very weak one I plan on mentioning. I think it's better to at least have something even if it isn't the greatest.

Okay so their DO school literally has no essay questions and now their MD school asks for 20,000 characters?

Reactions: 3 users

I had nothing even close to service learning so I just leaned really hard into the other part of the question haha

Probably a stupid question but exactly is service learning?

as far as I know it’s basically where community service is worked into the academic curriculum so as to facilitate/give context to your learning in the classroom

Finally submitted this beast of a secondary.

I'm wondering if they'll interview more people this year or at least waitlist more people. Looking at last year thread, it looked like there were so many people that turned down their acceptance that the school moved initially rejected post-interviewed applicants back to the waitlist and some of these people even eventually ending up getting an acceptance.

I imagine that doesn't look too great for the school so I'd bet that they'll take some significant steps this year to avoid a similar situation.

Finally submitted this beast of a secondary.

I'm wondering if they'll interview more people this year or at least waitlist more people. Looking at last year thread, it looked like there were so many people that turned down their acceptance that the school moved initially rejected post-interviewed applicants back to the waitlist and some of these people even eventually ending up getting an acceptance.

I imagine that doesn't look too great for the school so I'd bet that they'll take some significant steps this year to avoid a similar situation.
They might set their sights a little lower stats-wise then! Fingers crossed that's the case :)

as far as I know it’s basically where community service is worked into the academic curriculum so as to facilitate/give context to your learning in the classroom
Okay, yeah I definitely don't have that :oops:

Okay, yeah I definitely don't have that :oops:

lol me neither haha but I have the feeling a lot of people don’t, I don’t think it’s a common thing in a standard undergrad course

This secondary is so winded haha. I have stupidly let it sit on the bottom of my pile.

• Haha
For this question:

Can we talk about other science classes like immunology, physiology etc or does it mean like social sciences and humanities classes?

For this question:

Can we talk about other science classes like immunology, physiology etc or does it mean like social sciences and humanities classes?
You might be able to swing it but a lot of schools do require upper-level bio classes, which those are. If you have humanities or arts or whatever that's probably a better option

You might be able to swing it but a lot of schools do require upper-level bio classes, which those are. If you have humanities or arts or whatever that's probably a better option
Okay, cool. I'd rather it be about social sciences bc I'm a psych major. I just didn't know if I should talk about other upper div bio courses. Thank you for responding!

Okay so apparently this school is PBL which RIP because many of my undergrad classes were structured this way and if it's done with a bad professor it's such a waste of time that could be better spent studying. Thankfully pre-clinicals are pass/fail because I can't imagine myself being engaged in a PBL with a bad professor.

• Wow
Did anyone else not get a complete email yet?

I went back and realized I forgot to answer one question and it let me submit it

Did u ever get a complete email?
So did everyone else receive an email saying the 2-3 week thing? I've completed the secondary and submitted payment but never got an email and can't find anywhere that explicitly says "application complete"

Nova has a very bad 'portal'. I also submitted. No email confirming submission. For some reason they also don't have a portal you can keep checking your application status on.

I'm just confused how the system would let you submit when you don't answer a question (y or no). Very odd
Nova has a very bad 'portal'. I also submitted. No email confirming submission. For some reason they also don't have a portal you can keep checking your application status on.

Nope, can't even tell if Im complete.
I'm just hoping I am cause I have everything in and I know the payment went through. No other way of knowing as far as I can tell

Did anybody else get this in the throws of like 25 other secondaries and just totally bail because of the essays :rofl: totally circling back to this now...don't mind me...

I know I'm being neurotic but do y'all think it matters that I just got a reminder email to do this secondary? I haven't gotten to it yet and I just imagined them looking at who had to get reminder emails and assuming they don't care as much about their school or something lol

I know I'm being neurotic but do y'all think it matters that I just got a reminder email to do this secondary? I haven't gotten to it yet and I just imagined them looking at who had to get reminder emails and assuming they don't care as much about their school or something lol
I got the same email and I was like woah cool your jets it's been two weeks! I think it's fine they just don't want to be forgotten. If we get to neurotically email them every 5 seconds I guess they should have the right to do the same. :rofl:

Okay so apparently this school is PBL which RIP because many of my undergrad classes were structured this way and if it's done with a bad professor it's such a waste of time that could be better spent studying. Thankfully pre-clinicals are pass/fail because I can't imagine myself being engaged in a PBL with a bad professor.
All this being said, I would still do anything for an A here