2019-2020 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received an email to be interviewed for a waitlist spot! beyond excited to be given this opportunity after a rough cycle this year. Any tips for interviewing? Anyone else receive an email for a waitlist interview?
Just be yourself. They just want to know who you are, and your reason you want to be a doctor. Its pretty conversational, and nothing to be nervous about. They dont try to trick you, put you in tough spots, or anything like that. Just know your application, and your story. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just be yourself. They just want to know who you are, and your reason you want to be a doctor. Its pretty conversational, and nothing to be nervous about. They dont try to trick you, put you in tough spots, or anything like that. Just know your application, and your story. Good luck!

OU’s interview was my favorite because it was very personal. You don’t have worry about MMI bull**** just be ready to talk about yourself and show off your personality.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone seen any movement on the waitlist? I just got added yesterday and I’m feeling pretty down about it :(

Has anyone done the virtual interview and have any tips or advice?
I would say don't think that it will hurt your interview. If you ranked one or both Cleveland and Dublin campuses, you would have had a virtual interview anyways (it would just have been in one of their conference rooms) if you had an in person one

Has anyone recently sent in updates for the WL?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I just got invited to interview for the waitlist. I'm thrilled. Can anyone tell me if this is an open or closed file interview?

Reactions: 1 user
I just got invited to interview for the waitlist. I'm thrilled. Can anyone tell me if this is an open or closed file interview?
Open file, mine went line by line and asked me things that stuck out to him. Something like "tell me about (insert activity)" and then also general questions about wellness. This was back in like September though so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Open file, mine went line by line and asked me things that stuck out to him. Something like "tell me about (insert activity)" and then also general questions about wellness. This was back in like September though so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck!

Good to know. I'll have to pull up my AACOMAS app and review it all before I interview. Thanks!

Hey guys. Just curious, did they ask for your white coat size before the interview?

I’m interviewing on 4/28! How did it go for people who recently interviewed online?

How competitive is the waitlist

They aren’t allowed to disclose many details about the WL, so none of us really know for certain. I was told they will be meeting the first week of May to rank the list. I personally know two people who were pulled off the WL two different cycles, so there’s definitely movement. How much? Nobody knows lol.

Do they do silent rejections at this school? I haven't heard anything AT ALL since i submitted my secondary in the fall.

I've applied before, and this is the first time I've gotten an interview. If they're rejecting you they will eventually send a letter. I can't remember the timeline from years past.

Just heard from the admissions team and below is the response:

'It is often difficult for out of state students to gain an interview at our school as we are state-supported and give preference to Ohio residents'.

Based on the above statement, if you are OOS, tough luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm afraid so, I am in the same boat...

NEver mind Lol, I just received an e-mail. No interview for me :/ , which i expected since its already end of April. Best of luck to you now and in the future :) We will make it!

When do you guys think we will see waitlist movement? First week of May or not until later in the month?

When do you guys think we will see waitlist movement? First week of May or not until later in the month?

I personally know of two people from two different cycles (‘15-‘16 & ‘18-‘19) who were pulled off the first week of May. All I know is they are meeting the first week of May to rank the list, so I assume they will be pulling a decent amount after. It’s all a crapshoot, so who knows lol???

how many come off the WL
I remember on interview day they told us that last cycle they went 60-70 people deep in the waitlist. Not all hope is lost for those of us who are waitlisted!

I remember on interview day they told us that last cycle they went 60-70 people deep in the waitlist. Not all hope is lost for those of us who are waitlisted!
yeah but how many go ON the waitlist hahaha

yeah but how many go ON the waitlist hahaha
I remember when I interviewed, they said they rarely reject anyone. I think they said last year out of all the people they interviewed, they rejected 3. They most likely put everyone on the list

I remember when I interviewed, they said they rarely reject anyone. I think they said last year out of all the people they interviewed, they rejected 3. They most likely put everyone on the list
So how many interviews do they do?

yeah that's probably not true at all lol, surprised you would even think that

I can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or not. Many schools do this. If you make the cut for the interview you are almost guaranteed a spot on the waitlist if you aren’t voted in for acceptance.

It is true, they word for word said they do not reject many people whatsoever, specifically saying last year it was in the single digits for people they rejected post interview.

I can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or not. Many schools do this. If you make the cut for the interview you are almost guaranteed a spot on the waitlist if you aren’t voted in for acceptance.
Yeah this is exactly how it is at another school I’m waitlisted at. They don’t do many interviews and hardly any rejections. Just accept or waitlist

Yeah this is exactly how it is at another school I’m waitlisted at. They don’t do many interviews and hardly any rejections. Just accept or waitlist

It’s also fairly easy to see if a school does this. Just check SDN and see if students are reporting Post ll rejections.

Hi everyone, I think this may be more of a question for a current student, but feel free to reply if you have any info! I am currently accepted into the Athens campus, but I am waitlisted for Dublin (which is my top choice). I would love to get my living situation figured out, but I am still holding on to hope for Dublin. I heard that a lot of med schools look at their waitlist again the 1st week of May, but I know that it pretty much depends on who drops form Dublin and where I am at on the list.
I am wondering, is it common for a student in my situation (accepted at one campus but waiting for another) to eventually be accepted at their campus of choice? Or should I lock in at Athens?

Hi everyone, I think this may be more of a question for a current student, but feel free to reply if you have any info! I am currently accepted into the Athens campus, but I am waitlisted for Dublin (which is my top choice). I would love to get my living situation figured out, but I am still holding on to hope for Dublin. I heard that a lot of med schools look at their waitlist again the 1st week of May, but I know that it pretty much depends on who drops form Dublin and where I am at on the list.
I am wondering, is it common for a student in my situation (accepted at one campus but waiting for another) to eventually be accepted at their campus of choice? Or should I lock in at Athens?

Following, similarly accepted into Athens and waiting to transfer to Cleveland. Hoping for good news as the WL starts moving!

if i have listed 1. cleveland and 2. athens for my campus preferences, and i am on the waitlist for both, is it harder for me to get accepted off the waitlist because cleveland spots are so limited? should i switch the order?

if i have listed 1. cleveland and 2. athens for my campus preferences, and i am on the waitlist for both, is it harder for me to get accepted off the waitlist because cleveland spots are so limited? should i switch the order?

pretty sure the answer to this is no.

I dont think it matters. Basically when list is finalized, they’ll offer you a seat based on your preferences. So if your turn on the list comes up and you have Cleveland first and there’s no spot open, they’ll put you in Athens as long as there’s an open spot there (while maintaining your position on Cleveland list). Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s the way I remember my friend who goes there telling me how it happens.

the May-time waitlist anxiety is here and it is consuming me!

Same here! Would love to attend here, and wonder if they've started making movement yet off the waitlist

Same here! Would love to attend here, and wonder if they've started making movement yet off the waitlist

I wonder if they have even met to rank the list yet

I wonder if they have even met to rank the list yet

Did you ever email them (Dr. Schriner) asking what you could improve on your application? I did a while ago after my WL notification and they suggested that I was in great shape on the waitlist with nothing really to recommend. I didnt know how to take this but get my hopes up that I wouldve heard something by now