2019-2020 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:
SCM track essay questions:

Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.
Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.
Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.
Please highlight any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Oklahoma

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received. If only applying to OKC, there are no secondary essay questions.

SCM track essay questions:

Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.
Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.
Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.
Please highlight any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 user
So, does it look bad if you apply to only the OKC program? Can this be interpreted as "This person does not care for Community Health?"

Members don't see this ad :)
So, does it look bad if you apply to only the OKC program? Can this be interpreted as "This person does not care for Community Health?"
nah you're fine. a close friend only applied to OKC last year and got in.

Yeah I applied to 50 schools and didn't get an essay to this one.

I put all of my volunteer experience on AMCAS, do I just write N/A......? or...?

Submitting my secondary today. Haven't seen much on this thread. Anyone receive interview invites here?

• Haha
Submitting my secondary today. Haven't seen much on this thread. Anyone receive interview invites here?

After you submit your secondary you’ll receive an email stating that they don’t start reviewing/sending invites until September.

Reactions: 1 users
The secondary application contains some very explicit questions:
- Have you been a life-long resident of Oklahoma?
- I not, how long have you lived in Oklahoma?
- Where did you live before?
- Reason for moving to Oklahoma...

Also, while writing this I looked out the window and feel like they should ask:
- How do you feel about severe weather?

Edit:... and we're in tornado warning... ugh...

Do they automatically screen out OOS applicants that don't have strong ties to OK? I live in Texas, but don't want to waste $85 if they screen

Your chances are almost nil according to MSAR. They received almost 2000 OOS applications and only interviewed 34 of them. You need strong ties to even have a chance.

Do they automatically screen out OOS applicants that don't have strong ties to OK? I live in Texas, but don't want to waste $85 if they screen
They take some OOS student but as others said, you generally need great stats or strong ties. If you can afford it, shoot your shot. Somebody has to take the OOS slots

My sister just moved to OK this year but I don't know if that qualifies as having strong ties. MCAT 514 GPA 3.6
Can’t say. I can say I do know a M2 attending OU who was accepted as an OOS with worse stats and similar familial ties. Not trying to say you should or shouldn’t apply. But these people do exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
The secondary application contains some very explicit questions:
- Have you been a life-long resident of Oklahoma?
- I not, how long have you lived in Oklahoma?
- Where did you live before?
- Reason for moving to Oklahoma...

Also, while writing this I looked out the window and feel like they should ask:
- How do you feel about severe weather?

Edit:... and we're in tornado warning... ugh...
It's interesting that these are the questions you had as I didn't have those. Out of those 4, I only had the have you been a life-long resident of Oklahoma and was given a text box to explain my OK ties.

I'm an OOS and I don't have the highest stats, but I did do my undergrad at OU and have strong ties other than that too. Hoping for an II here!

Hey guys, MS1 at OU here. Happy to answer any questions you have about the school or the process. An MS1 (now an MS2) did the same during my application season and they answered some of my burning questions. Good luck!

Hey guys, MS1 at OU here. Happy to answer any questions you have about the school or the process. An MS1 (now an MS2) did the same during my application season and they answered some of my burning questions. Good luck!
In state applicant? Pros/cons? How is the culture?

In state applicant? Pros/cons? How is the culture?
Happy to answer these here since they’re broadly applicable, if you or anyone has more specific questions feel free to DM me so we don’t de-rail the thread.

I was an in-state resident but attended undergrad out of state (my parents house was my domicile and permanent address). Nearly everybody in my class is in state and those who were out of state have some connection to the state whether that be family, school, or work that brought them here. Biggest pro by far is the module system, you have an instant social group from day 1 of orientation you can hang out and study with. That and the in-state tuition. Faculty really do care about you succeeding here. Culture is A+ from my experiences. No real cons to complain of (yet? only been here for 2 weeks lol).

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I'm an MS1 here at OU, feel free to send a DM or tag me in a post if you have any questions about the school or the interview process. I would be more then happy to answer any of them! Just an FWI: I was an IS applicant.

Also chiming in-

MS1 at the OU-TU campus. So, if you have any specific questions regarding this campus, shoot me a pm. Good luck to you all!

Any tips for interviews? Also is there any idea of when we’d hear back for II? I heard that last year they were running behind on them.

Any tips for interviews? Also is there any idea of when we’d hear back for II? I heard that last year they were running behind on them.
Nothing official yet. Rumor is to look around a week before last year. Interview is laid back from multiple sources

OU OKC interview is based off the AAMC core competencies.
Expect questions such as “Tell us about a time you experienced an ethical dilemma”

OU TU interview is very laid back. They just want to know “why community medicine” essentially.

Oh also I THINK first interview dates this year are mid-late October.

Oh also I THINK first interview dates this year are mid-late October.
Fingers crossed that we start hearing something soon then. I had a trip planned back home for October but was trying to hold off some before buying a plane ticket :thinking:

Is research important for getting into OU? Did your LORs come from professors, or is it important to get at least one from a physician you shadow?

I have so many questions, but that’s all I can think of for now! :)

Is research important for getting into OU? Did your LORs come from professors, or is it important to get at least one from a physician you shadow?

I have so many questions, but that’s all I can think of for now! :)

I did not do any research in undergrad.

My LORs came from the premed committee.

I interviewed in late Oct and got my invite in early Oct. It was about 3 weeks lead time.

Apparently the last cycle they sent the first invites out later than usual. I spoke with some medical students that currently attend here and they said anything after mid-September for invites most likely.

Please do lol. I’m really worried about this school. They only invite 2% of OOS students for an interview. Even though I lived in Oklahoma for the past 8 years, served at Tinker AFB, graduated from UCO, and am still currently using an OK driver’s license, I had to apply OOS because I moved back home last year to spend time with family before med school -_-

Last year, first invites went out on Sept 27 I believe. So should be soon. they only have 10 interview days in October, November and January per a PowerPoint I found. This is my top choice so I’m dying

I know that there was some type of admissions orientation (for the committee/admissions personnel) this week and another one scheduled next week I believe. Don’t ask how I know this lol. So yeah, interview invites on the way hopefully after next week if not starting next week.

I know that there was some type of admissions orientation (for the committee/admissions personnel) this week and another one scheduled next week I believe. Don’t ask how I know this lol. So yeah, interview invites on the way hopefully after next week if not starting next week.
Legend

12F22EAC-359F-4440-B97E-F8BC479B99F9.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Praying for word next week..the anticipation is ruining me

Interesting. So there is movement now...

Care to share stats and complete date?

Ahh so it begins.

Best of luck to those applying this cycle. As I said before I’m an MS1 this year and can help with Q’s you may have!