2019-2020 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:
Question 1 - What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?
Question 2 - Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?
Question 3 - Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience.
Question 4 - Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response. AAMC's Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students & OHSU Recommended Prerequisites
Question 5 - Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?
Question 6 - Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Oregon Health and Science University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how exactly they treat this mission-based group for MD/MPH? Does applying it confer any advantages rather than applying just MD, considering some experience with public health?

EDIT: I got a reply from their admissions office—they only consider MPH applicants after admission to the MD program, the MPH side is handled thru PSU.

Last edited:
I'm so excited! OHSU is my #1 and only. Looking forward to whatever this year brings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying to Western university on the DO side as well?
Not this year, but if I don't get in this year I will apply to both next year. I can't move, so the commute to Western would be a killer.

Reactions: 2 users
Not this year, but if I don't get in this year I will apply to both next year. I can't move, so the commute to Western would be a killer.
This is my plan as well. Cheers and good luck, here’s to staying in Oregon!

Reactions: 1 user
Applying to OHSU as well! Time to start researching other than its fabulous Doernbecher and Knight Institute! I did hear that they have tests (or something equivalent) every Friday though. Is that true?

Applying to OHSU as well! Time to start researching other than its fabulous Doernbecher and Knight Institute! I did hear that they have tests (or something equivalent) every Friday though. Is that true?

Last I heard (about 6 months ago) YES.

As MissRibeye said, yeah I am pretty sure that's accurate. I have a friend who is an M1 currently and she said they have 'quizzes' every Friday.

As MissRibeye said, yeah I am pretty sure that's accurate. I have a friend who is an M1 currently and she said they have 'quizzes' every Friday.
Other schools do this as well, it's not uncommon to see for example University of Cincinnati (where I went to undergrad) does this. It's just simply to make sure you are understanding each weeks material so that for the Step exams you know where your weak areas are.

Last edited:

I am a MS2 and this is true. We have weekly Friday in house exams in addition to alternating weeks of anatomy, histology, pathology, and clinical skills exams. Although there are a lot of tests to study for, this encourages me to keep on top of my studying for that week's material and prepare me for end of the block finals. Message me if you have any questions regarding the curriculum!

No secondary yet. I'm an IS resident and I currently work at Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel, every day I look out the window and can see OHSU on the hill, always my motivation!

Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary yet. I'm an IS resident and I currently work at Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel, every day I look out the window and can see OHSU on the hill, always my motivation!

Ahh very cool I scribe for Legacy and Volunteer at Cares NW by Randall :)

Hi Everyone! I will be matriculating to OHSU this August and would like to wish everyone luck! I would also like to say that it's going to be a stressful year and I highly encourage you to stay busy and do lots of fun things instead of stress about your application. I submitted my primary in June and secondary in July, interviewed in early October, was put on hold in January and accepted early April. Many of my friends were accepted the very end of April; OHSU has a pattern of waiting until the very end to make many of their acceptance offers. So stay busy and have fun! Continue to work on things to improve your application and gain experiences that can help guide your career in medicine. I'm happy to answer any questions! Good luck! :)

Reactions: 10 users
How late do OHSU's secondaries come out? Still waiting.

I am going to die of old age before I receive the secondary. :oldman:

Even though secondaries came out sooner last year (day 1), be prepared for a slow "complete" response as well. It took OHSU more than a month (7/8 secondary submitted to 8/14 completion notice) to let me know it was "complete". Long slow marathon. Good luck!

I got it too. In-state.

Would you mind sharing the prompts?
I gotchu.
Question 1 - What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1500 characters)
Question 2 - Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1500 characters)
Question 3 - Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. (1500 characters)
Question 4 - Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response. AAMC's Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students & OHSU Recommended Prerequisites (2000 characters)
Question 5 - Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1500 characters)
Question 6 - Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service. (2000 characters)

Question #4 is different from last year altogether, and #6 is basically the same but expounded.

Reactions: 3 users
I gotchu.
Question 1 - What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?
Question 2 - Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?
Question 3 - Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience.
Question 4 - Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response. AAMC's Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students & OHSU Recommended Prerequisites
Question 5 - Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?
Question 6 - Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service.

Question #4 is different from last year altogether, and #6 is basically the same but expounded.
@PapaGuava

What TF. We have to input our work & activities section over again as part of the secondary? And other stuff too (biological info)? WHY?

What TF. We have to input our work & activities section over again as part of the secondary? And other stuff too (biological info)? WHY?
Yeah they changed things up and added more questions. So much for half of my prewrite lol

How do you answer #4? Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response. AAMC's Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students & OHSU Recommended Prerequisites???

I don't understand the question....

Aka What experiences and activities have you had that have made you develop their list of premedical competencies. They also dont really want to include discussions about college classes or grades.

Aka What experiences and activities have you had that have made you develop their list of premedical competencies. They also dont really want to include discussions about college classes or grades.

Oh ok ty, seems like a silly question of rehashing activities to me.

Is anyone else having issues with the secondary application portal "timing out" after only like 2 minutes? I was trying to copy and paste the essay questions into a word doc so I could draft them up and I had to log in like 4 times.

Is anyone else having issues with the secondary application portal "timing out" after only like 2 minutes? I was trying to copy and paste the essay questions into a word doc so I could draft them up and I had to log in like 4 times.
Yep, super annoying.

To be honest, this is one of the worst questions I have some across.

What am I supposed to do? List things? It's kind of hard to write a paragraph without shoehorning these competencies in.

What are other people planning on doing?

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received! OOS

Will be watching this thread eagerly for tips on writing #4...

From their website:

Recommended Premedical Competencies (2020 entering class):
The following prerequisites are recommended to applicants as they prepare themselves for the YourMD Curriculum. These are based on the AAMC Premedical Competencies which mark the beginning of a continuum leading to the Six Domains of Competence* that create the foundation of Graduate Medical Education (Residency Training) and beyond into independent practice.
I. Pre‐Professional Competencies:
Service Orientation, Cultural Competency, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others; Social Skills and Oral Communication; Teamwork, Reliability, and Dependability; Resilience, Adaptability, and Capacity for Improvement
Experiences demonstrating the above competencies are broad. They may include demonstration of excellence and leadership in the areas of service including but not limited to: any number of employment, volunteer or research experiences both inside and outside of the healthcare arena, participation in the arts and/or collegiate athletics, military service, and experience working in the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, and Teach for America.
II. Thinking and Reasoning Competencies:
Critical Thinking and Written Communication

This includes exposure to coursework and independent or professional experiences in the humanities and/or social sciences. These experiences are designed to demonstrate critical analysis that weighs alternative solutions to problems and fosters an appreciation of the strengths and weaknesses of a given argument. Such experiences must also stress expression and application of such ideas and conclusions through highly developed and effective use of the written word.
Quantitative Reasoning
Classwork in quantitative reasoning could include Statistics, Calculus, Data Science or Computer Science.
Scientific Inquiry
Successful applicants will demonstrate fluency in the language of the scientific method as it is applied via classroom laboratory coursework or through independent research experiences.
III. Science Competencies:
Living Systems

Demonstrate an ability to apply basic science principles to human health and disease and demonstrate observational and analytical skills applied to biological situations which could include course work in Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics and Biochemistry. It is recommended that applicants take a course in human anatomy and/or physiology.
Human Behavior
An understanding of the basis of human behavior and its applications to both individuals and society which could include courses in psychology and sociology.
The OHSU School of Medicine seeks applicants who will develop into practitioners able to master each of these domains. The goal of the above competencies is to prepare the student for success in their graduate medical training and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, this is one of the worst questions I have some across.

What am I supposed to do? List things? It's kind of hard to write a paragraph without shoehorning these competencies in.

What are other people planning on doing?
My thoughts exactly, and I have no idea. Am I supposed to bullet point every competency? Like, that sounds ridiculous, but at the same time am I shooting myself in the foot if I don't touch on EVERY SINGLE ONE?

Secondary received; but will not be completing because my MCAT is literally one point below cut off unfortunately for most recent.

• Sad
My thoughts exactly, and I have no idea. Am I supposed to bullet point every competency? Like, that sounds ridiculous, but at the same time am I shooting myself in the foot if I don't touch on EVERY SINGLE ONE?
Is it possible thy are just testing the question and won’t judge us harshly if we do it “wrong”?

I'm also stumped at #4. Should I do it in a narrative form? Bullet point?

Also, the new diversity question (#5?) is way more specific than before. I wrote a diversity statement about my love for architecture and design. Do I need to re-write this now?

Also, the new diversity question (#5?) is way more specific than before. I wrote a diversity statement about my love for architecture and design. Do I need to re-write this now?
It would be fine if it is written in regards to OHSU's definition of diversity:
Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service.

It would be fine if it is written in regards to OHSU's definition of diversity:
I talked about how I love architecture and design. Then I later realized that design needs to take the needs of others into account. Then I talked about how physical space impacts health and wellness.

Obviously this is an abridged version.