Aug 6, 2018
I'm an in-state (almost) applicant. I've spent my gap year working at a Coordinated Care Organization, which are orgs handle the Oregon Health Plan. Any feedback whether it would be advantageous for me to apply MD/MPH considering this? I understand this is one of their mission groups, and I would be interested in earning an MPH at some point - but I'm more concerned about MD admission at this time in my life.

Anyone know how exactly they treat this mission-based group, would applying MD/MPH confer any advantages rather than applying just MD, considering some experience with public health?

EDIT: I got a reply from their admissions office—they only consider MPH applicants after admission to the MD program, the MPH side is handled thru PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: stayathomemom

stayathomemom

I'm actually at home way less than you'd expect.
Dec 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm so excited! OHSU is my #1 and only. Looking forward to whatever this year brings.

Reactions: Jake M

MemeLord

Man-Frog, Lord of the Knarly ‘Trip’
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm so excited! OHSU is my #1 and only. Looking forward to whatever this year brings.
Are you applying to Western university on the DO side as well?

Reactions: Jake M

Vincero

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Applying to OHSU as well! Time to start researching other than its fabulous Doernbecher and Knight Institute! I did hear that they have tests (or something equivalent) every Friday though. Is that true?

Mar 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Applying to OHSU as well! Time to start researching other than its fabulous Doernbecher and Knight Institute! I did hear that they have tests (or something equivalent) every Friday though. Is that true?
Last I heard (about 6 months ago) YES.

Aug 6, 2018
As MissRibeye said, yeah I am pretty sure that's accurate. I have a friend who is an M1 currently and she said they have 'quizzes' every Friday.

dr.batman

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
As MissRibeye said, yeah I am pretty sure that's accurate. I have a friend who is an M1 currently and she said they have 'quizzes' every Friday.
Other schools do this as well, it's not uncommon to see for example University of Cincinnati (where I went to undergrad) does this. It's just simply to make sure you are understanding each weeks material so that for the Step exams you know where your weak areas are.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I am a MS2 and this is true. We have weekly Friday in house exams in addition to alternating weeks of anatomy, histology, pathology, and clinical skills exams. Although there are a lot of tests to study for, this encourages me to keep on top of my studying for that week's material and prepare me for end of the block finals. Message me if you have any questions regarding the curriculum!

Reactions: Vincero and Jake M