2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Im from the midwest but have always loved the pacific northwest area. Is IS bias pretty hard to overcome here?

I am assuming you are asking about In-State bias. I am from the Midwest (and not from one of their preference states) as well and was accepted into PNWU. They do focus on underserved areas of the country as well though too. My being an out of state candidate never really came up, and from reading the forums it seems like they take several out of area candidates each year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When does this school typically send out secondaries? I haven't even gotten an email saying that they received my primary yet...

When does this school typically send out secondaries? I haven't even gotten an email saying that they received my primary yet...
Looks like from last year’s thread, people started receiving them around the second week of July.

My friend just said he received his secondary from PNWU yesterday, can anyone attest?

Just a heads up- PNWU is awesome but the admissions committee/team is severely unorganized. If you are expecting to update your application whatsoever, hold off on applying. Applicants from last year’s thread, including myself, got really messed over because those from admissions don’t update your app, even when they say they’ll do it and tell you to update them. I wasted a lot of time and money doing what they told me to do.

I don’t want to sound negative or anything because this school really is awesome; their admissions team just really needs some improvement. Just wanted to save you guys the hassle of getting the run around.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a heads up- PNWU is awesome but the admissions committee/team is severely unorganized. If you are expecting to update your application whatsoever, hold off on applying.

I would still recommend applying early because that still gives you a better shot than applying later. Good luck reapplying! I hope this cycle goes better for you.

Will I ever hear anything back from this school!!?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! Do they screen or is it minimum requirements?

Secondary received! Do they screen or is it minimum requirements?

No screen, no minimum.

PNWU: PNWU does not have a minimum GPA or MCAT requirement. All applications are reviewed for academic excellence, course completion, grades, grade trends, rigor of coursework, and other academic indicators.

What are they looking for in the activities section?

What are they looking for in the activities section?

I think they're just looking if you have completed any of those special programs indicated! If not, you can just choose --> Participate: Not Applicable. Also, is anyone else getting an error for the government ID? It seems like it's 9 digits, so likely a DL number, but it keeps on giving me an error!

I think they're just looking if you have completed any of those special programs indicated! If not, you can just choose --> Participate: Not Applicable. Also, is anyone else getting an error for the government ID? It seems like it's 9 digits, so likely a DL number, but it keeps on giving me an error!

Try your SSN.

I called and they said to input your social security number

No screen, no minimum.

PNWU: PNWU does not have a minimum GPA or MCAT requirement. All applications are reviewed for academic excellence, course completion, grades, grade trends, rigor of coursework, and other academic indicators.
From their website:

"An email invitation to complete a supplemental (secondary) application will be sent to selected applicants after the primary application has been received and reviewed. Check your junk email mail folder to ensure emails from PNWU-COM are being received. "

So they have some form of screen.

For all those that received a secondary, are y'all waiting until you get an II before sending CASPer? I know it says in the e-mail:

"Please note if invited to interview, PNWU-COM requires applicants to have a 2019-20 CASPer cylce score. Visit PNWU.edu to view application details, the catalog, and financial aid. Feel free to contact Enrollment Services at [email protected] or 509.249.7888, if you have any questions."

The paranoid in me thinks otherwise ...

Anyone else having trouble submitting? All info is filled out but clicking "submit" won't take me to a payment page.

Edit: Issue was dashes in the phone number. Submitted!

Last edited:
For all those that received a secondary, are y'all waiting until you get an II before sending CASPer? I know it says in the e-mail:

"Please note if invited to interview, PNWU-COM requires applicants to have a 2019-20 CASPer cylce score. Visit PNWU.edu to view application details, the catalog, and financial aid. Feel free to contact Enrollment Services at [email protected] or 509.249.7888, if you have any questions."

The paranoid in me thinks otherwise ...

I sent my CASPer already. I rather get rejected because of a bad CASPer than going to an interview and getting rejected afterwards.

I sent my CASPer already. I rather get rejected because of a bad CASPer than going to an interview and getting rejected afterwards.
Interesting view. I'm leaning towards waiting for the II. I'd imagine if the interview went really well and both the school and I are a good fit, a pesky old CASper wouldn't be the deal breaker (or so I hope).

Does anyone know any information regarding the volume of interview invites that this school sends out? I have heard rumors of them historically sending out quite a lot of them, but I am unsure if that is true. Also is there any preference to in-state residents? I have been a WA resident for the past four years after having grown up in Oregon the 18 years prior.

Does anyone know any information regarding the volume of interview invites that this school sends out? I have heard rumors of them historically sending out quite a lot of them, but I am unsure if that is true. Also is there any preference to in-state residents? I have been a WA resident for the past four years after having grown up in Oregon the 18 years prior.

For the class of 2022,
Matriculants from 5-state catchment area - 72.2%
  • Alaska - 2.1%
  • Idaho - 2.8%
  • Montana - 4.9%
  • Oregon - 7.6%
  • Washington - 54.8%

Also, what is the format you guys are writing your one-page essay? Single/double space? What size font?

Submitted! Did anyone receive a confirmation e-mail with their username/password?

Hmm, I did and it did the same thing! I ddn't use any dashes or anything. Could be that I'm using chrome on a Mac, so hopefully it works soon! Thanks
I'm using Chrome and submitted without issues.

Oops forgot to post the prompt. @PapaGuava

1. Write a one page, total, essay addressing the following question:
a. Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school whose mission focuses on rural and/or medically underserved populations.

Anyone get anything after submitting their secondary (with the payment and the essay)?

Anyone get anything after submitting their secondary (with the payment and the essay)?
Nope. I'm thinking it takes time for them to verify essay and payment.

Reactions: 2 users
also when you submitting your secondaries did it just go back to the home page?

Anyone have experience getting their fee waiver approved? Do you pay/submit first and get a refund later?

Anyone have experience getting their fee waiver approved? Do you pay/submit first and get a refund later?
Yes, I called them yesterday and they said that you have to pay the fee and then forward them your AACOMAS fee waiver. Once they process it, they will issue you a refund.

Email from PNWU with log-in details just now!

not sure if its worth applying here as I'm from Michigan? would appreciate any input

not sure if its worth applying here as I'm from Michigan? would appreciate any input
I can tell you they highly favor in state and surrounding state students but there's always that slim chance!

Earlier in the thread:

camoixu said:
For the class of 2022,
Matriculants from 5-state catchment area - 72.2%
  • Alaska - 2.1%
  • Idaho - 2.8%
  • Montana - 4.9%
  • Oregon - 7.6%
  • Washington - 54.8%
You can be in the 27.8% from OOS.

I am from the Midwest and was accepted. If how you want to practice and your experiences fall in line with the goals of the school, I would say go for it. Good luck to you!