2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it crazy that I am starting to think I have a chance? I got the top 20 email yesterday. I honestly had completely given up, but this might actually happen, or am I being overly optimistic. Last year they were still having sig movement in June correct?
I definitely wouldn‘t lose hope yet. Waitlist movement is still bound to happen. Granted it may slow down some, but it’s not going to stop for probably another 2ish months. Also, the May 15th deadline some others and myself have mentioned before was actually only for holding 1 MD acceptance, not anything with DO acceptances fwiw (so people are still likely holding multiple DO seats right now). Obviously I can’t say you’ll get in for sure, but I wouldn’t count yourself out either just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The more I look back it seems the last few years anyone who was in a ranking block eventually got in. And we are way ahead of a schedule here with how many are getting in I am starting to have a good feeling about all this.
I think at this point being optimistic is good! I know it’s really hard to look at the positive because you don’t want to get your hopes up just to be let down, I do the same thing constantly. But don’t let that bring you down. They wouldn’t have offered you a place on the waitlist if they didn’t think you would be a good fit for their incoming class. There is a ton of time left before school starts and movement should keep happening up until then. I’m putting out good acceptance getting vibes for you!

Last edited:
WL: November
Top 30: 05/05
Top 10: 05/20
Accepted: 05/27

They were not willing to inform me of my rank within the top 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh!! Congratulations to everyone who’s gotten off the waitlist so far. Thank you for updating this forum too—it’s extremely helpful. It seems like they’re nearing another re-ranking, and I’m holding out hope I’m at least in the top 10 this time. If not, I might throw in the towel despite this being my absolute dream school and a perfect fit for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Ahhhh!! Congratulations to everyone who’s gotten off the waitlist so far. Thank you for updating this forum too—it’s extremely helpful. It seems like they’re nearing another re-ranking, and I’m holding out hope I’m at least in the top 10 this time. If not, I might throw in the towel despite this being my absolute dream school and a perfect fit for me.

That would be awesome if we were on the new top 10 ranking!

Reactions: 2 users
So by my math, since @Longtimecoming was initially ranked top 30 in the second-ranking and now got in that we have to be at least on the final ten of the second-ranking. So it's looking good for anyone who is currently ranked, but also good for those waiting and hoping. I am. just confused that I have not received a new ranking email, but they possibly only do them on a certain day of the week or they are waiting till they can re-rank another 20 so we once again have a top 30. I am concerned that I am somehow going to miss out on some clerical error but we will see I guess. I will update immediately if that email comes out. Good luck everyone.
If it helps to know, I saw someone last week say they got accepted and were originally top 20 (which i was also top 20), and then later that morning I got thr email thag I had been moved to the top 10. But that doesn't mean that they aren't just behind on sending an email out. If you are super concerned you can always call admissions but its still early. Its a very nerve wracking process but try to use this time to enjoy your summer. Good news always comes when you least expect it!

If it helps to know, I saw someone last week say they got accepted and were originally top 20 (which i was also top 20), and then later that morning I got thr email thag I had been moved to the top 10. But that doesn't mean that they aren't just behind on sending an email out. If you are super concerned you can always call admissions but its still early. Its a very nerve wracking process but try to use this time to enjoy your summer. Good news always comes when you least expect it!
I have been watching this stream for several months. My Son is applying for DO school and I, along with all of you, have been waiting anxiously to see where or if he will land somewhere. Let me tell you what I see. I disagree with the idea that there is a second list of 30 students. I think they are still working off the original list. My son was put on the top 30 list on May 1st (or a day later). which was the day they said they would construct the list. A week or so ago he was told he was in the top 20. This was the same time that I saw Jewbacastein was placed on the top 20 list. He never did get a notification that he was then moved to the top 10 list.....He was accepted yesterday! So....it is my opinion that Jewbacastein is likely on the top 10 list now!!! I have been rooting for you for several weeks. I think there is a very good chance you will get the call. By the way.....He turned down the spot, so someone is getting a call hopefully today. Best wishes.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been watching this stream for several months. My Son is applying for DO school and I, along with all of you, have been waiting anxiously to see where or if he will land somewhere. Let me tell you what I see. I disagree with the idea that there is a second list of 30 students. I think they are still working off the original list. My son was put on the top 30 list on May 1st (or a day later). which was the day they said they would construct the list. A week or so ago he was told he was in the top 20. This was the same time that I saw Jewbacastein was placed on the top 20 list. He never did get a notification that he was then moved to the top 10 list.....He was accepted yesterday! So....it is my opinion that Jewbacastein is likely on the top 10 list now!!! I have been rooting for you for several weeks. I think there is a very good chance you will get the call. By the way.....He turned down the spot, so someone is getting a call hopefully today. Best wishes.

The father we all wish we had :cryi:. Thanks for the info Dr. Dad and congrats on your son making it in!

You're the dad we all deserve! Congrats for you son whereever he ends up.

I can verify however that there has been two top 30 rankings, one in late April where all 30 were accepted in a week, and then again a week later which is when myself, and a few others were ranked and subsequently accepted. I had spoken with staff at PNWU about this prior to my acceptance. This year has been exceptionally odd and they have at least accepted 50 off the waitlist already.

But I agree. I believe that Jewbacastein is likely now top 10.

Reactions: 1 users
You're the dad we all deserve! Congrats for you son whereever he ends up.

I can verify however that there has been two top 30 rankings, one in late April where all 30 were accepted in a week, and then again a week later which is when myself, and a few others were ranked and subsequently accepted. I had spoken with staff at PNWU about this prior to my acceptance. This year has been exceptionally odd and they have at least accepted 50 off the waitlist already.

But I agree. I believe that Jewbacastein is likely now top 10.
That's interesting. I thought they were not going to rank until early may. they must have had so many open spots they started to panic. Ha Ha. Non-the-less I love seeing you guys get the call. It's a very long journey.

Thank you @DoctorDad2020 for your kind words and support. I am starting to get paranoid that due to a clerical error I am going to get left off or was a mistake in the first place. Refreshing my email and keeping my phone at hand like a maniac. I am getting comfortable with the idea of getting in which has improved my mental health 100 fold and my parenting. I just hope this isn't a massive miscalculation on my part regarding my actual chances. Because if I am being honest I think I have like a 100% chance based on everything I am seeing, but well see I guess. :(
I think you should email Ashley Baughman and ask to set up a phone meeting with her. She's been super helpful for me before I got my admission and she might be able to look your application up, verify you were in top 30, and then tell you if you're now in top 10 and for some reason did not recieve the email yet. They should be able to help you figure that out rather than you needed to constantly worry. I don't think they will find it to be bothersome.

Thank you @DoctorDad2020 for your kind words and support. I am starting to get paranoid that due to a clerical error I am going to get left off or was a mistake in the first place. Refreshing my email and keeping my phone at hand like a maniac. I am getting comfortable with the idea of getting in which has improved my mental health 100 fold and my parenting. I just hope this isn't a massive miscalculation on my part regarding my actual chances. Because if I am being honest I think I have like a 100% chance based on everything I am seeing, but well see I guess. :(
You'll get a phone call before an email too :) 509 number(most likely) some people are working from home.

Just a heads up guys. My friend that will be going to WSU for this fall start just announced the are going to be online for the entire upcoming year. I have no clue what PNWU will decide to do yet.

Just a heads up guys. My friend that will be going to WSU for this fall start just announced the are going to be online for the entire upcoming year. I have no clue what PNWU will decide to do yet.
I’m going to UW in Spokane and we’re doing a hybrid model so.. There’s a chance you guys could do the same

I’m going to UW in Spokane and we’re doing a hybrid model so.. There’s a chance you guys could do the same
How is the hybrid model going to be working? I really don't like learning online at all because I am not a great online learner.

How is the hybrid model going to be working? I really don't like learning online at all because I am not a great online learner.
Well apparently we do something call the inverted table where we watch lectures from home anyways and then get together in small groups. Kinda like PBL except we don’t have to look things up. I’d assume things should be safer in Yakima than Spokane so idk. I’d maybe reach out to your school?

Well apparently we do something call the inverted table where we watch lectures from home anyways and then get together in small groups. Kinda like PBL except we don’t have to look things up. I’d assume things should be safer in Yakima than Spokane so idk. I’d maybe reach out to your school?
Yeah. I think if they don't give us an update in a couple weeks I will, but honestly I'm not very concerned. I've recently traveled across half of the country and almost everyplace is down to only basic restrictions due to consistent falls in numbers. I just want to know so I can plan accordingly kind of thing, especially since I hate online learning.

Would anyone who's ranked/accepted off the waitlist mind posting stats/brief app summary? I know for many it's a very personal matter, but I would be so appreciative just to have more insight into how they've been ranking the waitlist. I've been told I'm waitlisted because of my lower stats and my greatest fear is everything is just a numbers game at this point and I realstiically don't have a chance here.

Would anyone who's ranked/accepted off the waitlist mind posting stats/brief app summary? I know for many it's a very personal matter, but I would be so appreciative just to have more insight into how they've been ranking the waitlist. I've been told I'm waitlisted because of my lower stats and my greatest fear is everything is just a numbers game at this point and I realstiically don't have a chance here.
I will DM you if you want with mine.

This isn’t a direct reply to anyone but since some were talking about it, Yakima is the worst county in WA for covid right now and cases are increasing each day there lately. Spokane is at 115 cases per 100,000 yakima is 1,400 fwiw. Not trying to add to the stress just want to point out the numbers in case others haven’t seen them. I wouldn’t be suprised if some or most stuff is online in the fall.

Source if anyone wants to follow: Washington Coronavirus Map and Case Count

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
This isn’t a direct reply to anyone but since some were talking about it, Yakima is the worst county in WA for covid right now and cases are increasing each day there lately. Spokane is at per 115 cases per 100,000 yakima is 1,400 fwiw. Not trying to add to the stress just want to point out the numbers in case others haven’t seen them. I wouldn’t be suprised if some or most stuff is online in the fall.

Source if anyone wants to follow: Washington Coronavirus Map and Case Count
Thanks for the link. While Yakima County does show higher numbers, their population is far less dense and spread over many miles. The county has a total population of about 250k and 4k Square miles where as King has 2.25 million people in 2300 Square miles. It's interesting to see at the very least, but due to the low number of people overall in Yakima, infection rates will appear higher.

I'm interested to see how this continues to spread or calm as major Hotspot cities of the US like NYC are looking at re-opening, especially since most states are open again and many are seeing decreases in new cases.

I think overall if we hear nothing in the next 2 weeks I'm going to reach out to ask someone at PNWU if they have had anymore meetings about future plans.

Thanks for the link. While Yakima County does show higher numbers, their population is far less dense and spread over many miles. The county has a total population of about 250k and 4k Square miles where as King has 2.25 million people in 2300 Square miles. It's interesting to see at the very least, but due to the low number of people overall in Yakima, infection rates will appear higher.

I'm interested to see how this continues to spread or calm as major Hotspot cities of the US like NYC are looking at re-opening, especially since most states are open again and many are seeing decreases in new cases.

I think overall if we hear nothing in the next 2 weeks I'm going to reach out to ask someone at PNWU if they have had anymore meetings about future plans.

I spoke with them about it after my acceptance and right now, as someone else mentioned, they're planning online lectures and small group in-person labs but said everything is super fluid right now and they're watching the situation and plan to change accordingly.

I appreciate the link Wabi-Sabi the other day I was having difficulty finding breakdown of numbers by county.

Thank you so much! Yes, if anyone would be willing to also PM me their stats it would be much appreciated.
I'm completely open with mine. 500MCAT 3.56cGPA 3.34sGPA
Grew up very rurally in PNWU. Plan to practice somewhere just as rural.

I have a crap ton of work experience in direct patient care settings. Lower volunteer hours but I had to work through undergrad, come from low income family.

Just so everyone knows we got an email just now stating that lectures will be online in the fall. OPP labs, clinical skills labs, standardized patient encounters, and for first-year students, gross dissection will be held in person. They are splitting the class into four groups of 36 students and that is the groups you will do labs with. I think they said histology labs and exams will also be done remotely.

I was accepted somewhere else, so I will be withdrawing my acceptance here, good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m very curious, has PNWU made any sort of statement via email or any effort toward the black lives matter movement? I haven’t seen anything on their social media or website.

They sent out an email with the aacom statement on racism and injustice, but nothing specific to PNWU.

They sent out an email with the aacom statement on racism and injustice, but nothing specific to PNWU.
Very interesting. UW and WSU Medicine have both at least commented they support BLM. Other schools I applied to have also been making statements supporting the movement. Racism may be politicized, but it is still a public health crisis worth addressing. I'm not sure if it was the same statement PNWU emailed, but AACOM said it perfectly on June 02, 2020 we should not stay silent: "As a community of medical educators, we are doctors, faculty, learners and staff, at the ready to train future physicians to provide care and comfort, to heal not just the wound but the whole person. We are also people who refuse to stand silent while innocent lives are taken. We choose to speak out against hate and injustice everywhere. "

Yeah, they forwarded that message to all the students on our PNWU emails. My assumption is they support that message if they're sending it out.

Yes we will treat anyone regardless of beliefs and that is both one of the most beautiful things about medicine and one of the hardest.

There are bias in medicine against people of color and that is why it is not a political issue but a public health and human issue. We have to work and address these in ourselves to avoid them effecting our patients in the future.