2019-2020 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone who has been accepted advise the first day of classes for 2020 please? I looked on the website but I could only find information for 2019.
The first day of orientation is July 13th, however, Penn State just sent out an email today that they want all students in the area by July 6th in order to quarantine for a week before orientation starts. So technically the first day you would need to be there is July 6th. I think (not 100% certain with everything going on) that their orientation/transition to medical school stuff lasts 2 weeks which would make July 27th the first day of actual medical school classes.
(edited a June 6th to July 6th, oops!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The first day of orientation is July 13th, however, Penn State just sent out an email today that they want all students in the area by June 6th in order to quarantine for a week before orientation starts. So technically the first day you would need to be there is July 6th. I think (not 100% certain with everything going on) that their orientation/transition to medical school stuff lasts 2 weeks which would make July 27th the first day of actual medical school classes.
You gave me a heart attack with that June 6 typo :nod:

Members don't see this ad :)
I WAS JUST ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST TODAY! This is crazy surreal right now! Received the call earlier today! I interviewed 2/07, waitlisted 03/29 and accepted today!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I WAS JUST ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST TODAY! This is crazy surreal right now! Received the call earlier today! I interviewed 2/07, waitlisted 03/29 and accepted today!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congrats! That's awesome!

Did you get an email too?

Congrats !! Can you also please share your stats and if your instate or out of state?

People who got recently accepted from waitlist congrats. Are you guys in-state or out of state and what's your stats?

Congrats !! Can you also please share your stats and if your instate or out of state?
Dr. Dwight Davis called me yesterday to offer me my acceptance. I received the official acceptance email this morning. I am an out of state applicant. My cumulative GPA is a 3.7, science GPA is a 3.8. My MCAT was a 507. I interviewed 2/07, got waitlisted 3/27, accepted 5/14! Hope this helps and good luck to you all!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
+1

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive watched the forum for a while, and was just accepted off the waitlist! Is there a fb group for accepted students?

Reactions: 6 users
Ive watched the forum for a while, and was just accepted off the waitlist! Is there a fb group for accepted students?
Congratulations! Did you receive any email or phone call?

Yes! Penn State College of Medicine Class of 2024
Welcome to the class :clap:

For those who were accepted off the waitlist, how many of you submitted a loi?

I’m wondering too. I’m very hesitant to send a letter since their email when I was put on a pre-II hold said they do not accept update letters or LOIs and their post-interview hold email said they will only review what is already in your file.
Has anyone had luck sending an LOI to them despite this?

I know this thread doesn’t represent all acceptances, but it looks like just one was posted this week. Correct?

I did send a LOI. Somewhere on this thread someone said they called admissions and admissions said they can be sent after April 30. I sent mine first week of May and they responded saying they added it to my file. 10 days later I was accepted. But also n=1. I would shoot your shot though. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I did send a LOI. Somewhere on this thread someone said they called admissions and admissions said they can be sent after April 30. I sent mine first week of May and they responded saying they added it to my file. 10 days later I was accepted. But also n=1. I would shoot your shot though. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Did you send a letter of intent or a letter of interest?

Are we allowed to call the admissions office to inquire about our position on the waitlist?

I'm just curious...

Are there people on this thread with an A for Penn State, but also holding out for other WL's to come through? I'm trying to guess how "over" the PSU WL movement is. Too soon to tell, just past peak, mostly over? I feel like PSU runs their whole cycle on the late side compared to an average of most schools. So maybe there is considerable movement in June?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
“But also n=1” I’m sorry, I guessing I should know, but what does that mean? Thanks and congrats on your acceptance!

“But also n=1” I’m sorry, I guessing I should know, but what does that mean? Thanks and congrats on your acceptance!
"Sample Size. The sample size is very simply the size of the sample. If there is only one sample, the letter "N" is used to designate the sample size. If samples are taken from each of "a" populations, then the small letter "n" is used to designate size of the sample from each population."

Reference: Sample Size

"Sample Size. The sample size is very simply the size of the sample. If there is only one sample, the letter "N" is used to designate the sample size. If samples are taken from each of "a" populations, then the small letter "n" is used to designate size of the sample from each population."

Reference: Sample Size
Should have remembered that from STAT class. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the Penn State Commit To Enroll Date is?

I’m wondering too. I’m very hesitant to send a letter since their email when I was put on a pre-II hold said they do not accept update letters or LOIs and their post-interview hold email said they will only review what is already in your file.
Has anyone had luck sending an LOI to them despite this?
I emailed them about it and they said that they accepted LOI's so I sent one in.

I'm just curious...

Are there people on this thread with an A for Penn State, but also holding out for other WL's to come through? I'm trying to guess how "over" the PSU WL movement is. Too soon to tell, just past peak, mostly over? I feel like PSU runs their whole cycle on the late side compared to an average of most schools. So maybe there is considerable movement in June?

I guess I wasn't very clear...I'm more than just curious. I'd really like to know. As in "replies." Are there people on this thread hanging onto an A from PSU, waiting for other options. Come on, don't be shy. People are looking for glimmers of hope on here.

I just got a call from Penn State and was offered a spot. Interviewed in January. Wait listed in February. They said I will get the email on Monday. Applied to 15 schools, got only 2 interviews and 2 wait lists. Hang in there, its still possible! God bless.

Reactions: 5 users
My “unofficial count” of acceptances since April 30 is 13. But I’m sure there are several more, who don’t follow or post on SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got a call from Penn State and was offered a spot. Interviewed in January. Wait listed in February. They said I will get the email on Monday. Applied to 15 schools, got only 2 interviews and 2 wait lists. Hang in there, its still possible! God bless.
Congratulations! Are you in state or out?

Anyone else here applying for the Grad PLUS loan? It says Penn State doesn't begin accepting applications until June 18th. I just want to know if I'm looking at it right because it seems a little late with school starting July 13th.

Anyone else here applying for the Grad PLUS loan? It says Penn State doesn't begin accepting applications until June 18th. I just want to know if I'm looking at it right because it seems a little late with school starting July 13th.
Hey! I just spoke with the financial aid office earlier today and they told me that Grad PLUS does not open for another 2 weeks and assured me this is normal. So no worries, I think you are right on track.

I have been following the SDN page. I just got accepted today! So there is still hope for people on the waitlist!