2019-2020 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I have a complete email by now? I called to see if all was in, and I submitted the app like 3 weeks ago.
Same! have not received complete email but on the portal it says complete. I called but they were not helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that was wrong/too bad--you're probably fine!

I will call admissions tomorrow to see if they recommend anything in particular.
hey, did you end up calling admissions? Not sure if I should throw in a diversity essay for this question

Can anyone give some tips on how to answer the why Penn State question? I am applying because I am PA resident but apparently I cant write that...

Why can't your write that you are a PA resident? I feel like that would be a very strong reason to attend Penn state

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning!! IS with ties to Penn State (sister goes there for undergrad), 3.7 and 516. Completed on 8/1.

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning!! IS with ties to Penn State (sister goes there for undergrad), 3.7 and 516. Completed on 8/1.

Did you receive a separate email indicating your application was complete? I have yet to receive that email and I'm wondering if it should worry me.

Did you receive a separate email indicating your application was complete? I have yet to receive that email and I'm wondering if it should worry me.
I did. I got one when I submitted my secondary and then another one immediately after to confirm that my app was complete

I did. I got one when I submitted my secondary and then another one immediately after to confirm that my app was complete
Interesting. Thank you for replying. Congrats on the II, good luck.

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?

Did you guys all write "No" for this? I feel like they would want something?

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?

I feel like it’s a pretty open-ended question but I talked about a unique activity I did.

I used this to highlight my biggest plus of my app (leadership).

I emailed the AdCom, and they said that they haven't even started the review process...

do you know what they meant by that? It seems like they’ve sent out a number of IIs, so surely they have started the review process?

Reactions: 5 users
do you know what they meant by that? It seems like they’ve sent out a number of IIs, so surely they have started the review process?
I emailed to ask if my application was complete, as I had submitted it on Jul 20th. Their exact response was:
"Thank you for your email. As you may know that we receive numerous applications, each application is reviewed thoroughly by the admissions committee. At this time, your application is in a screen ready pattern and is waiting to be reviewed by the admissions committee. We have not started the review process as of yet, so just hang tight. If we require additional information we will reach out to you for that. We appreciate your continued interest in Penn State College of Medicine. Please let us know what else we can do to help."
So your guess is as good as mine :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Never heard a school use “hang tight” in an email. But I like it!

I emailed to ask if my application was complete, as I had submitted it on Jul 20th. Their exact response was:
"Thank you for your email. As you may know that we receive numerous applications, each application is reviewed thoroughly by the admissions committee. At this time, your application is in a screen ready pattern and is waiting to be reviewed by the admissions committee. We have not started the review process as of yet, so just hang tight. If we require additional information we will reach out to you for that. We appreciate your continued interest in Penn State College of Medicine. Please let us know what else we can do to help."

I got the same answer 2 weeks ago when I emailed them a while back

Oh it looks like they have started the review process but they just haven't started review your application yet. But I heard they do have a slower review process than other schools.

Secondary Received 7/18/19
Secondary Submitted and Complete 8/20/19

For this school, on the MCAT page, what is the difference between

If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)?
NO, begin processing my application immediately
I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application

For this school, on the MCAT page, what is the difference between

If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)?
NO, begin processing my application immediately
I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application

If you want them to process your app even with a new incoming score then you check the NO option.

If you do not have another MCAT scheduled this cycle, you click the last option

II! OOS no ties

Complete 7/28, Lizzy of 70, URM

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I was complete here 7/15 and haven’t heard a peep. Gotten a bunch of interviews from other places. Anyone else in this same boat? Seems like this school isn’t going in the “rolling and random order” they say they are.

I was complete here 7/15 and haven’t heard a peep. Gotten a bunch of interviews from other places. Anyone else in this same boat? Seems like this school isn’t going in the “rolling and random order” they say they are.

Wouldn't them going in a random order explain why you haven't heard back yet?

Wouldn't them going in a random order explain why you haven't heard back yet?

It’s the “random and rolling order the applications are recieved.” It means first come first serve. Doing them out of order wouldn’t make sense.

So you’re accepted but still applying this year?

I have an acceptance at another school for this year, but what does that matter? All I asked was if anyone who was complete 7/15 at this school still hasn’t heard anything.

I have an acceptance at another school for this year, but what does that matter? All I asked was if anyone who was complete 7/15 at this school still hasn’t heard anything.
Genuinely curious that you’ve applied to a couple schools and already have an acceptance this early. Congrats!

Should I apply to PSU now as an international student (no tie to Penn)? Got the secondary but was wondering if it's worth it applying

Should I apply to PSU now as an international student (no tie to Penn)? Got the secondary but was wondering if it's worth it applying

They have low OOS acceptance rate and they only accepted 2 international students last cycle. So I would apply to private schools instead.

They have low OOS acceptance rate and they only accepted 2 international students last cycle. So I would apply to private schools instead.

You're right that they only enrolled 2 international students, but PSU is a private school that take 60% OOS students...so hardly a low OOS acceptance rate.

Reactions: 7 users
You're right that they only enrolled 2 international students, but PSU is a private school that take 60% OOS students...so hardly a low OOS acceptance rate.
Where do you see 60% OOS? MSAR?

Where do you see 60% OOS? MSAR?

Yeah, more specifically 60% of matriculants were from OOS. We of course don’t know exactly what proportions of IS/OOS recieved acceptance offers (that I know of anyways) but I assume it’s close to the proportion of IS/OOS matriculants

I was complete 7/27 and haven't heard anything. This is my first-choice school, I'm IS with very strong ties to PSU, so I will be heartbroken if PSCOM and I don't get the opportunity to meet one another via interview. My eggs are very much in this basket... can't help it. :)

I was complete 7/27 and haven't heard anything. This is my first-choice school, I'm IS with very strong ties to PSU, so I will be heartbroken if PSCOM and I don't get the opportunity to meet one another via interview. My eggs are very much in this basket... can't help it. :)
I was complete at 7/16 and still havent heard anything. I think maybe they are just taking their time to review everyone

I was complete at 7/16 and still havent heard anything. I think maybe they are just taking their time to review everyone
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I imagine multiple reviewers plugging away at multiple stacks of apps, and ours is in somebody's pile awaiting a set of eyeballs. Good luck to you!

Can someone share more details about the University Park Program?

Hello! I am a medical student in the University Park (UP) Program. I am here to tell you about our program and answer any questions you may have. This is open to anyone who is accepted to Penn State College of Medicine. I recommend you check out our website which dives into our curriculum. The website is https: //med.psu.edu /md/university-park (new SDN account so it won't let me link it :( )

Who are we? We are a regional campus in State College. The UP Program is currently in its third year (you'd be our fourth class!) but since it is a track you graduate with the same Penn State Hershey diploma. Each cohort is 12 students. Here is a very brief overview of our program:
  • First year: We have early clinical experiences (approximately 8 hours/week in primary care clinics) and meet three times a week for small group (called inquiry sessions or IQ). In small group we present patient cases, select two for the week, and then develop learning objectives to address Penn State's four pillars (basic science, clinical science, health systems science, and health humanities). Our week is supplemented with volunteering, clinical skills (e.g. creating/defending differential diagnoses and physical exam skills), as well as basic science lectures (2 times/month) and anatomy lab.
  • Second year: Clerkships begin second year! We use the longitudinal integrated clerkship model. Unlike 4 to 6 week blocks with different specialties, your clerkships will be interspersed. The goal is to have more continuity of care. You will also be able to follow specific patients throughout the year. You will still complete some clerkships (inpatient peds) at Hershey. If you need to be in Hershey, housing is provided.
  • Third year: Clinical immersion will continue into third year but third year goes back to the classroom to engage in more meaningful small group learning in order to prepare for Step 1. Third year has dedicated Step 1 study time which we (as well as Hershey students) will take at the end of MS3.
  • Fourth year: Fourth year is similar to other medical schools. It is a continuation of rotations as well as electives, away-rotations, and residency applications.
Why join? We are an innovative new program that is ideal for learners who like collaboration, team-based, and experiential learning. We have early clinical exposure and aim to integrate all of our basic and clinical sciences into what we see in the clinic. We are a tight-knit community and since it is a small cohort, you get close mentoring by faculty and attending physicians.

How to join: In order to be considered for the UP campus, you need to be accepted into Penn State College of Medicine first. There were supplemental questions on the secondary for the UP campus but you can still apply even if you did not fill those out initially. Please email our Student Services Manager, Kristen Horn, if you have interest in applying at [email protected].

Please message us if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello! I am a medical student in the University Park (UP) Program. I am here to tell you about our program and answer any questions you may have. This is open to anyone who is accepted to Penn State College of Medicine. I recommend you check out our website which dives into our curriculum. The website is https: //med.psu.edu /md/university-park (new SDN account so it won't let me link it :( )

Sorry, this isn't UP related, but just general admissions question that I should probably just email the adcom about, but hopefully you can help me:

I'm a nontrad; even worse, I've been a stay-at-home mom for the last 13 years, homeschooling, so there is only a small pool of people I can get LORs from. The supplemental app requires that I check the box that states:
"My college or university does not have a Pre-health Committee or Pre-Health Office that submits recommendation letter(s). Accordingly, I confirm that the letter(s) of recommendation submitted to AMCAS include:

1. At least two letters from faculty in science disciplines.
  2. At least one letter from faculty in a non-science discipline.
  3. At least one remaining letter from college faculty, community leader, employer, or others in positions of responsibility that know the applicant well."
I've got two science faculty letters and 3 remaining letters, but none of them are from non-science faculty; honestly, there are only 3 people that could possibly write that letter, and I'm having trouble getting ahold of them.

Will I be unable to apply here because I can't get a LOR from a nonscience faculty?

Sorry, this isn't UP related, but just general admissions question that I should probably just email the adcom about, but hopefully you can help me:

I'm a nontrad; even worse, I've been a stay-at-home mom for the last 13 years, homeschooling, so there is only a small pool of people I can get LORs from. The supplemental app requires that I check the box that states:
"My college or university does not have a Pre-health Committee or Pre-Health Office that submits recommendation letter(s). Accordingly, I confirm that the letter(s) of recommendation submitted to AMCAS include:

1. At least two letters from faculty in science disciplines.
  2. At least one letter from faculty in a non-science discipline.
  3. At least one remaining letter from college faculty, community leader, employer, or others in positions of responsibility that know the applicant well."
I've got two science faculty letters and 3 remaining letters, but none of them are from non-science faculty; honestly, there are only 3 people that could possibly write that letter, and I'm having trouble getting ahold of them.

Will I be unable to apply here because I can't get a LOR from a nonscience faculty?

Call them and ask, or ask for a waiver. No one on the internet can give you a legitimate answer like the admissions office can.

My first II!! OOS, no ties, LM 68, complete 7/27.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know if Penn State is receptive to In The Area emails?

I'm confused about the question: Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and (if not indicated in 1b above) explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)

What exactly are they asking? Sorry for a dumb question...

I'm confused about the question: Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and (if not indicated in 1b above) explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)

What exactly are they asking? Sorry for a dumb question...

I assume this is on "Applicant Information"... Q1 asks if you ever applied to penn state. To which if you click yes, there is probably a space to elaborate on what year you applied and explain what has changed since your last application. (I am not a reapplicant to PSU so these are assumptions). Q2 asks if you have ever applied to medical school EVER to any other program in which case I assume if you click yes, there is a box to explain.

You didnt specify, but I assume youre talking about saying yes to Q2 "Have you ever applied to any other med school" to which you indicate the year and whats changed in your app since the last time you filled out the amcas.

(if not indicated in 1b above) means that if you applied previously, but not to penn state, you would leave 1b blank but have to write something for 2b. If you have applied previously to penn state, then you wouldve answered the "whats changed" question in 1b to which you dont need to re-write the same thing for 2b

Again I am not a reapp, so I cant see the text box and associated questions for clicking yes to 1 and 2. Anyone can correct me if needed

Reactions: 1 users
I assume this is on "Applicant Information"... Q1 asks if you ever applied to penn state. To which if you click yes, there is probably a space to elaborate on what year you applied and explain what has changed since your last application. (I am not a reapplicant to PSU so these are assumptions). Q2 asks if you have ever applied to medical school EVER to any other program in which case I assume if you click yes, there is a box to explain.

You didnt specify, but I assume youre talking about saying yes to Q2 "Have you ever applied to any other med school" to which you indicate the year and whats changed in your app since the last time you filled out the amcas.

(if not indicated in 1b above) means that if you applied previously, but not to penn state, you would leave 1b blank but have to write something for 2b. If you have applied previously to penn state, then you wouldve answered the "whats changed" question in 1b to which you dont need to re-write the same thing for 2b

Again I am not a reapp, so I cant see the text box and associated questions for clicking yes to 1 and 2. Anyone can correct me if needed

Thank you!

Who are we? We are a regional campus in State College. The UP Program is currently in its third year (you'd be our fourth class!) but since it is a track you graduate with the same Penn State Hershey diploma. Each cohort is 12 students. Here is a very brief overview of our program:
  • First year: We have early clinical experiences (approximately 8 hours/week in primary care clinics) and meet three times a week for small group (called inquiry sessions or IQ). In small group we present patient cases, select two for the week, and then develop learning objectives to address Penn State's four pillars (basic science, clinical science, health systems science, and health humanities). Our week is supplemented with volunteering, clinical skills (e.g. creating/defending differential diagnoses and physical exam skills), as well as basic science lectures (2 times/month) and anatomy lab.
  • Second year: Clerkships begin second year! We use the longitudinal integrated clerkship model. Unlike 4 to 6 week blocks with different specialties, your clerkships will be interspersed. The goal is to have more continuity of care. You will also be able to follow specific patients throughout the year. You will still complete some clerkships (inpatient peds) at Hershey. If you need to be in Hershey, housing is provided.
  • Third year: Clinical immersion will continue into third year but third year goes back to the classroom to engage in more meaningful small group learning in order to prepare for Step 1. Third year has dedicated Step 1 study time which we (as well as Hershey students) will take at the end of MS3.
  • Fourth year: Fourth year is similar to other medical schools. It is a continuation of rotations as well as electives, away-rotations, and residency applications.
Why join? We are an innovative new program that is ideal for learners who like collaboration, team-based, and experiential learning. We have early clinical exposure and aim to integrate all of our basic and clinical sciences into what we see in the clinic. We are a tight-knit community and since it is a small cohort, you get close mentoring by faculty and attending physicians.

How to join: In order to be considered for the UP campus, you need to be accepted into Penn State College of Medicine first. There were supplemental questions on the secondary for the UP campus but you can still apply even if you did not fill those out initially. Please email our Student Services Manager, Kristen Horn, if you have interest in applying at [email protected].

This may seem like a silly question, but does the University Park Program still have an anatomy lab with a cadaver?

This may seem like a silly question, but does the University Park Program still have an anatomy lab with a cadaver?

Hi! Not silly at all! We do have anatomy lab with cadavers but they are prosected. If you really want to, you have the option to join the anatomy graduate students during M1 summer to do the dissection. You have some anatomy lab in M1 with supplemental anatomy focus coming from imaging like ultrasound, CT, MRI, and X-ray, etc. You will revisit anatomy lab in M2 and M3 as well. There is some literature suggesting that dissections are not much better for learning than prosections and it saves a lot of time.