2019-2020 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI for accepted students looking for a place to live, I have a house in metropolitan Atlanta where I'll be renting out two rooms. If you're interested, feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, so I’m withdrawing my acceptance. I sent an email to admissions. Is there anything else I need to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current/past students have any recommendations for favorite study materials for SPOM? Not tryna be a gunner but trying to find some ways to be productive and not go stir crazy during this weird time!
Agreed with Dr. Janitor. Almost anything that you could "pre-teach" yourself right now will buy you maybe a week or two. Moreover, you'd run the risk of focusing on material that is not central to the teaching dogma to which PCOM ascribes. I'm trying to enjoy this unexpected free time as much as I can. Hope y'all are staying safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Last week, I got a phone call from a PCOM rep. We didn't talk about anything incredible; just how I was holding up. However, I thought that short conversation was so thoughtful of them. I know it's cheesy, but it was the first time I felt like a PCOM student rather than a medical school applicant.

Reactions: 6 users
Last week, I got a phone call from a PCOM rep. We didn't talk about anything incredible; just how I was holding up. However, I thought that short conversation was so thoughtful of them. I know it's cheesy, but it was the first time I felt like a PCOM student rather than a medical school applicant.
That's awesome! Our head professor for PCS (how to be a doctor class) sends us encouraging emails throughout the year. I always tell people my favorite aspect is the overall community of the school.

Did anyone get accepted recently from waitlist this week? I know the big deposit deadline was due this week so just wondering.

surprised it is so quiet. On the wait-list, waiting patiently

I know this part sucks: the waiting. There will be movement throughout the summer and hopefully you all get off the list. Remember, SDN is just a portion a small portion of applicants, so there may be some movement you're unaware of. Also, they claim to not rank their list, so keep in mind that it could happen whenever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! Incoming 1st year. Do any current students have feedback on the daily schedule? I know classes are mandatory and include clickers. Are there any students that do miss the allotted 20% and also how would you be able to keep track of how much you've missed? Also, how is grading done? Another school at which I'm waitlisted has class 3x a week, also mandatory classes with clickers which contribute to 10% of the grade for the class.

Hi there! Incoming 1st year. Do any current students have feedback on the daily schedule? I know classes are mandatory and include clickers. Are there any students that do miss the allotted 20% and also how would you be able to keep track of how much you've missed? Also, how is grading done? Another school at which I'm waitlisted has class 3x a week, also mandatory classes with clickers which contribute to 10% of the grade for the class.
I'm a current first year. It is highly rumored (with a recent email goading it to become more reality) that mandatory attendance may be lifted and the 1st year curriculum is changing a bit from what we had which could mean less classroom time, but I will speak from what I've experienced this year. The first 2 terms were closer to 8-4 everyday with anatomy lab 2-3x a week during first term and you have OMM Tuesday afternoons every week. The third term is more chill usually starting at 9am and going more to 2-3pm with some weeks very little class (usually OMM practical testing weeks). We have plenty of students who use up that 20%, but also you learn how to manage mandatory attendance to make it work for you. Tracking is basically up to you if you want or you'll get an email warning you to attend else you'll get a professionalism mark. With the amount of class we do have though, 20% can actually be a lot. Some courses are mandatory no matter what and you need an excuse every time but those are ones that don't meet as often or are hard to miss because you're learning practical skills, but the professors are human and know we are too and life happens. The clickers, at least for our big class, have been extra credit for the most part so they only help your grade and if you're on a border they usually bring you through the border. We get letter grades for all classes, some classes get turned into pass/fail at the end of the year, but most are letter grades.

Reactions: 9 users
I know this part sucks: the waiting. There will be movement throughout the summer and hopefully you all get off the list. Remember, SDN is just a portion a small portion of applicants, so there may be some movement you're unaware of. Also, they claim to not rank their list, so keep in mind that it could happen whenever.
Do you know if they pick people every week or is it every other week from when they send out last acceptance?

Do you know if they pick people every week or is it every other week from when they send out last acceptance?
I think at this point it depends on people dropping seats. The class is technically full and then as people make decisions on where they want to go or get off other waitlists, that's when seats open. I don't think it's a super regimented scheduled thing, it happens when it happens.

Just fyi to those who need to make deposits. I sent my deposit in on Friday 4/17 (Due date was yesterday Monday 4/21). This morning it still had not showed up on my portal that it was received. I emailed someone from admissions. They said they had no proof I had sent in my deposit. Thankfully I have taken screen shots and had my transaction history in the portal so I sent all that information in.

Just letting everyone know in case your portal hasn't updated that they received your deposit, you need to e-mail to make sure they have it.

Just fyi to those who need to make deposits. I sent my deposit in on Friday 4/17 (Due date was yesterday Monday 4/21). This morning it still had not showed up on my portal that it was received. I emailed someone from admissions. They said they had no proof I had sent in my deposit. Thankfully I have taken screen shots and had my transaction history in the portal so I sent all that information in.

Just letting everyone know in case your portal hasn't updated that they received your deposit, you need to e-mail to make sure they have it.
What time did you get email about your waitlist acceptance?

just saw the a deposit for $750, accepted off waitlist!!!!! just saw it now. haven't got a email yet

Reactions: 4 users
You'll get something in the mail, not in your email.
When I got the email that I was taken off the waitlist they told me that due to COVID-19 they are not sending anything in the mail. They will e-mail the acceptance letter.

When I got the email that I was taken off the waitlist they told me that due to COVID-19 they are not sending anything in the mail. They will e-mail the acceptance letter.
Oh, that makes sense. Pandemic changing everything. Also congrats Dr_dahulk!

Current M2 here. Just wanted to say that mandatory attendance will no longer be a thing next year (and isn’t right now due to COVID19). Guest lectures will likely be mandatory but that’s it besides PCS/OMM lab.

Reactions: 7 users
Current M2 here. Just wanted to say that mandatory attendance will no longer be a thing next year (and isn’t right now due to COVID19). Guest lectures will likely be mandatory but that’s it besides PCS/OMM lab.

Is this really true. Like your class received an email from the administration?

Also thanks for commenting about it.

Last edited:

wow~! what would that mean for the weekly schedule? I'm assuming labs/OMM are still mandatory.

Anything about classes going P/F? Dont want to sound greedy but that would be the icing on the cake

I just got the acceptance email. Interviewed on 3/13/20. I'm so excited for this big break and big move. Yay

Reactions: 1 users
I
What’s your stat? Were you waitlisted btw before or just got direct acceptance?
I just got a direct acceptance today. My interview was quite late so this is the time I'm supposed to get my decision letter. Out of state, science major, 3.77 gpa, non traditional student

I
I just got a direct acceptance today. My interview was quite late so this is the time I'm supposed to get my decision letter. Out of state, science major, 3.77 gpa, non traditional student
Congrats man. That’s good that you got in at least this late in cycle. Who knows when I will get off waitlist or if I will Lol.

You know I can’t tell that right just by someone’s username lol. I apologize.
It's fine. I feel my username is neutral if not feminine lol. It's just for future reference so someone doesn't call me Mr, or something like that

I'm trying to be added into the Facebook group for incoming students but it requires a PCOM email address. I don't have one yet. Can someone help me to be added in? I'm also looking for housing options, what sites do you recommend? What sites do people usually use over there? I was on apartments.com but I want something closer to my budget. Thanks so much

I'm trying to be added into the Facebook group for incoming students but it requires a PCOM email address. I don't have one yet. Can someone help me to be added in? I'm also looking for housing options, what sites do you recommend? What sites do people usually use over there? I was on apartments.com but I want something closer to my budget. Thanks so much
I had the same issue with the facebook group. They won't email you until you have an email. I received and email from PCOM with my school email about a week after I submitted my deposit.

When is the bulk of the waitlist movement? I was put on the waitlist early January, sent a LOI and still haven't heard back.

When is the bulk of the waitlist movement? I was put on the waitlist early January, sent a LOI and still haven't heard back.
I think April 30 is when AMCAS people have to narrow down their list to one school so I’m sure lot of people here are on waitlist for MD schools so hopefully we can get those seats once these folks give up their seats here. Good luck. Hopefully we get in :(

I think April 30 is when AMCAS people have to narrow down their list to one school so I’m sure lot of people here are on waitlist for MD schools so hopefully we can get those seats once these folks give up their seats here. Good luck. Hopefully we get in :(
Good luck to you too!!

Hi! Just request to join and submit the email address you used when applying

I had the same issue with the facebook group. They won't email you until you have an email. I received and email from PCOM with my school email about a week after I submitted my deposit.
Hi! Just request to join and submit the email address you used when applying

What housing are you guys considering? Apartments around the school? Any tips?

I currently live in the area. Best option is apartments and there are a lot of apartment complexes near the school. Its kind of pricey. Or find a roommate

I'll be moving in with my fiancé so we're hoping to find like a 2-3 bed house to rent for less $1500. Seems like there's some decent options in Suwannee and surrounding areas within about 15 mins or less of the school. If I was going to have roommates, I think I'd want to do the same thing and share a house over an overpriced apartment, but that's just me.

Apartments right near by are all near on par price wise with each other, so roommates are advised to make it cheaper (I live alone though in a nearby apartment, which has been good to me). You can get a little cheaper if you go over 10 minutes away and I'd advise south or east of the school as then you'll be against traffic typically. You can definitely find houses renting rooms or townhouses/houses to share with roommates which is usually the cheapest option. We have people commute from all over, but typically the at school study people live closer as a trend.

I'll be moving in with my fiancé so we're hoping to find like a 2-3 bed house to rent for less $1500. Seems like there's some decent options in Suwannee and surrounding areas within about 15 mins or less of the school. If I was going to have roommates, I think I'd want to do the same thing and share a house over an overpriced apartment, but that's just me.
Are you interested in a duplex close to school? I have one in mind.