2019-2020 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a current first year. It is highly rumored (with a recent email goading it to become more reality) that mandatory attendance may be lifted and the 1st year curriculum is changing a bit from what we had which could mean less classroom time, but I will speak from what I've experienced this year. The first 2 terms were closer to 8-4 everyday with anatomy lab 2-3x a week during first term and you have OMM Tuesday afternoons every week. The third term is more chill usually starting at 9am and going more to 2-3pm with some weeks very little class (usually OMM practical testing weeks). We have plenty of students who use up that 20%, but also you learn how to manage mandatory attendance to make it work for you. Tracking is basically up to you if you want or you'll get an email warning you to attend else you'll get a professionalism mark. With the amount of class we do have though, 20% can actually be a lot. Some courses are mandatory no matter what and you need an excuse every time but those are ones that don't meet as often or are hard to miss because you're learning practical skills, but the professors are human and know we are too and life happens. The clickers, at least for our big class, have been extra credit for the most part so they only help your grade and if you're on a border they usually bring you through the border. We get letter grades for all classes, some classes get turned into pass/fail at the end of the year, but most are letter grades.
Thanks for your detailed answer. I wonder what kind of learning style is used. Problem based learning vs traditional?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your detailed answer. I wonder what kind of learning style is used. Problem based learning vs traditional?
It is definitely more traditional. Most lectures are in the big hall with a powerpoint. We do have small groups sessions within the major class starting second term which bring case based learning in to play. This isn't very often though. A second year told me they had a little more than 1st year, but still majority traditional. Sometime they'll incorporate cases into lecture, but it isn't common and isn't like how it is in proper PBL.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any waitlist movement yet or will it start after May 15th? I’m starting to lose hope at this point :(

Just got accepted to my dream school. Will be giving up my seat at PCOM-GA soon. I hope it goes to one of you!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got off the waitlist !! I’m confused on what to do:

I’ve already placed my deposit for Pcom-SG.

I live 25-ish minutes away from PCOM Georgia. So I could potentially live at home and save a lot of money on rent & food. However, idk how productive I’ll be if I stay home. Meaning , with family gatherings and living at home =more distractions.
However , the support system would be very good.

Living in Moultrie Georgia, I know I wouldn’t do anything but study and I’ll be 3.5 hours away from home if I ever needed to spend time with the family.

Besides the living situation , can anyone comment why the would choose one over the other ? If the “curriculum” is the same , am I in a greater/lesser advantage attending either or ?

Thank you !

Just got accepted to my dream school. Will be giving up my seat at PCOM-GA soon. I hope it goes to one of you!!!

Congrats! If I get accepted to my top school I will be giving up my spot here as well.

I live 25-ish minutes away from PCOM Georgia. So I could potentially live at home and save a lot of money on rent & food. However, idk how productive I’ll be if I stay home. Meaning , with family gatherings and living at home =more distractions.

Living in Moultrie Georgia, I know I wouldn’t do anything but study and I’ll be 3.5 hours away from home if I ever needed to spend time with the family.

Besides the living situation , can anyone comment why the would choose one over the other ? If the “curriculum” is the same , am I in a greater/lesser advantage attending either or ?

Thank you !

General sdn consensus regarding branch campuses is to consider them as separate schools. Having the "same curriculum" doesnt really mean much. GA has had several graduating classes and has had time to work out administrative growing pains (not saying there arent any now) and students have access to test notes, already made anki, professor quirks, other resources from previous classes etc which could be a lifesaver when you already have a thousand other issues to worry about. GA is also closer to ATL for research opportunities. To me I would choose GA and it's not even close.

Thank you !

You could always study on campus/coffee shops/local libraries if you can't study at home. If you stay in Suwanee, you may have to sit the family down and have the talk about potentially missing events to study or having limited social time. That depends on your situation. Moultrie now is following Philly curriculum, Suwanee has had it's own, but they are trying to get all campuses on the same schedule (I don't know if that starts this fall).

Suwanee would have more general opportunities, but South will have 1 class ahead so you're not completely alone there. Moultrie is also the middle of nowhere which yes can be good for keeping you focused, but you will need time off. I don't know what they do down there, probably hang with each other for fun? Suwanee will have more academic opportunities, but also more social/outings so if you need that opportunity to blow off steam, then it's more readily available in Suwanee.

Plenty of people live at home. Personally, I moved out of a commutable home to live alone, so if you want more info on that feel free to DM me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you !
When did you get waitlisted?

General sdn consensus regarding branch campuses is to consider them as separate schools. Having the "same curriculum" doesnt really mean much. GA has had several graduating classes and has had time to work out administrative growing pains (not saying there arent any now) and students have access to test notes, already made anki, professor quirks, other resources from previous classes etc which could be a lifesaver when you already have a thousand other issues to worry about. GA is also closer to ATL for research opportunities. To me I would choose GA and it's not even close.
[/QUOTE]

those are good points! thank you!

You could always study on campus/coffee shops/local libraries if you can't study at home. If you stay in Suwanee, you may have to sit the family down and have the talk about potentially missing events to study or having limited social time. That depends on your situation. Moultrie now is following Philly curriculum, Suwanee has had it's own, but they are trying to get all campuses on the same schedule (I don't know if that starts this fall).

Suwanee would have more general opportunities, but South will have 1 class ahead so you're not completely alone there. Moultrie is also the middle of nowhere which yes can be good for keeping you focused, but you will need time off. I don't know what they do down there, probably hang with each other for fun? Suwanee will have more academic opportunities, but also more social/outings so if you need that opportunity to blow off steam, then it's more readily available in Suwanee.

Plenty of people live at home. Personally, I moved out of a commutable home to live alone, so if you want more info on that feel free to DM me.

Yeah that's also true ! I think overall I like Suwanee better. How 'involved' are first years usually ? Also, can you comment on rotations sites for Suwanee, will I be better off in Suwanee or Moultrie for rotations?

Also, do we get dedicated study time for boards?

Thank you in advance!

Yeah that's also true ! I think overall I like Suwanee better. How 'involved' are first years usually ? Also, can you comment on rotations sites for Suwanee, will I be better off in Suwanee or Moultrie for rotations?

Also, do we get dedicated study time for boards?

Thank you in advance!
What do you mean by involved? Involved in what?
Rotations is a lottery system where there are sites in GA, Fl, and some up north like in Philly. You rank your top choices and they try and get you into your top choice. They do a good job matching you to your top choice, very few don't get that option. I'm not sure if Moultrie has the same system, but I vaguely thought they had to rotate in rural areas around Moultire, but I can be totally wrong about that. Any SoGA students out there?

Currently, you do have some class, just less class during boards study time with I think 2 weeks of no class, but that is something that I think is changing with the changes in curriculum. So incoming students may get more dedicated time.

Just got pulled out from waitlist yesterday!!! Very unexpected since I was set to go to WVSOM. Very excited to stay in GA though.
This might sounds like a weird question but when do accepted students start the semester? Summer or Fall? :D

Thanks in advance.

Just got pulled out from waitlist yesterday!!! Very unexpected since I was set to go to WVSOM. Very excited to stay in GA though.
This might sounds like a weird question but when do accepted students start the semester? Summer or Fall? :D

Thanks in advance.
When did you get waitlisted?

Thanks in advance.

orientation starts in august

Do you guys think due to covid that the class here is pretty much finalized or is there more movement from waitlist leftover? I’m getting scared that I haven’t heard back. :(

Do you guys think due to covid that the class here is pretty much finalized or is there more movement from waitlist leftover? I’m getting scared that I haven’t heard back. :(
Maybe write them an email, sending out a letter of intent. Shoot your shot but you should also prepare for your next application as well. You want to have several things planned out, they will keep your mind off the wait also

In the same boat getting nervous. started filling out new application today

In the same boat getting nervous. started filling out new application today

I know a good number of current PCOM-GA students who weren't pulled off the waitlist until June and July.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm on the waitlist and I sent out a LOI pretty much right after I was put on the waitlist (in january). Should I send a second one or is one enough? I have an acceptance to another school but I was wondering if I should mention this is my top choice and I would give up the other acceptance. No idea what the proper etiquette is in this situation. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am sure people in this group are waitlisted at an MD school while holding an acceptance at PCOM. As soon as there is movement in the MD waitlist, there will be movement at PCOM. Stay hopeful and positive!!

I am sure people in this group are waitlisted at an MD school while holding an acceptance at PCOM. As soon as there is movement in the MD waitlist, there will be movement at PCOM. Stay hopeful and positive!!
And those MD schools have their CTE deadline pushed forward all the way to end of June or beginning of July so that just makes this cycle even more interesting lol.

Congratulations to everyone who got off the waitlist!! Did you guys find out via email or mail about getting off the waitlist?

Congratulations to everyone who got off the waitlist!! Did you guys find out via email or mail about getting off the waitlist?
According to the last few post about waitlist acceptance, they got it through email. I think someone mentioned here that they won’t send acceptance letters through mail anymore due to covid 19 pandemic.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else unclear as to finding apartments yet as we dont know if classes will be online or in-person?

Reactions: 4 users
Can somebody add me to the Facebook group for new students? Also I'm not sure what to do after turning in my deposit and technical standards. Is there something that I should be doing?

Can somebody add me to the Facebook group for new students? Also I'm not sure what to do after turning in my deposit and technical standards. Is there something that I should be doing?
No, they will pretty much e-mail you when you need to do something. Soon you should get an email that had your pcom email and instructions for how to log in and read the "getting started" section that had things like the background check and financial aid application.

I remember waiting days, and thinking I wasn't doing something I was supposed to!

Given the current situation, does anyone currently attending have information about our class' start date? Not all of us are from GA, so it might be difficult to travel.

Also, when will we know our schedule?

No, they will pretty much e-mail you when you need to do something. Soon you should get an email that had your pcom email and instructions for how to log in and read the "getting started" section that had things like the background check and financial aid application.

I remember waiting days, and thinking I wasn't doing something I was supposed to!
Thank you. I haven't receive my pcom email yet but I'll wait for another week before emailing them.

Given the current situation, does anyone currently attending have information about our class' start date? Not all of us are from GA, so it might be difficult to travel.

Also, when will we know our schedule?

We usually start mid-August and first years do have orientation the week prior. If you're moving, I'd suggest moving the last week of July/first week of August so you can get home/apartment set up and change all the necessary documents if you plan to do so. You'd have time during orientation week to do a lot too if you want/need to move closer to that time. I don't remember exactly, but we received the exact orientation date in July and the actual schedule much closer to the first day. (this is typical, schedules aren't released very early)

It’s DO traffic day tomorrow. Anyone expecting movement tomorrow or next week? Lol. I doubt anyone holding multiple DO acceptance and also got into pcom.

Why is that doubtful?

Edit: an honest question, I don't mean to sound rude lol just curious.
Because everyone loves pcom ga over other DO schools. Just my guess lol. I could be wrong though.

Because everyone loves pcom ga over other DO schools. Just my guess lol. I could be wrong though.
I disagree. Every person has different reasons for picking their school, whether that be a specific focus the school places in the area you’re interested in, having familt in an area, cost, research opportunities etc etc. No one DO school is a blanket top choice. This is a fine school that anyone would be lucky to attend but that isn’t to say there are plenty other DO schools that “theoretically” rank higher. There are different PCOM campuses and they all have their different advantages and disadvantages. This is a newer campus so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are plenty of people who will drop this school for other more established schools. All in all that’s good news for everyone on the waitlist.

Anybody notice a change on the portal with $75 written on the little box and thought for a second they got in or something? Lol I heard someone say here that deposit is $750 or something like that so for a second I got excited when I saw it partly but I lost all hope again as it was just the applicant fee lol.

Anybody notice a change on the portal with $75 written on the little box and thought for a second they got in or something? Lol I heard someone say here that deposit is $750 or something like that so for a second I got excited when I saw it partly but I lost all hope again as it was just the applicant fee lol.
I just noticed that too. I swear it wasn't there before?!

I think they’re changing the format for next application cycle

A GroupMe was made today for admitted students:) The link is posted on the Facebook page!