2019-2020 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
How are you guys tackling the essay question in the primary application? How did you pick only one aspect?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys tackling the essay question in the primary application? How did you pick only one aspect?
The way I answered this question was to find something really important to me in a med school. Once you have that in mind, frame your answer around that (i.e diversity, location).

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM leaves a space for you to identify/address any deficiencies in your primary application. Should I take the opportunity to do so or would it be unwise to speak on my flaws so soon?

PCOM leaves a space for you to identify/address any deficiencies in your primary application. Should I take the opportunity to do so or would it be unwise to speak on my flaws so soon?
If flaws/deficiencies are on your application they will see it anyway, so it's not like you are presenting them something new. This prompt just gives you a chance to explain any circumstances that led to weaker parts of your app.

Did anyone have someone look over their PCOM essay before submitting? I'm wondering if I should reach out for that.

Also, do they have a secondary this year? On the app, as I'm sure you all noticed, it says there is no supplemental application as part of the screening process for Fall 2020 consideration.

Did anyone have someone look over their PCOM essay before submitting? I'm wondering if I should reach out for that.

Also, do they have a secondary this year? On the app, as I'm sure you all noticed, it says there is no supplemental application as part of the screening process for Fall 2020 consideration.
Didn't notice that and already started prewriting last years secondary prompt :smack:

Didn't notice that and already started prewriting last years secondary prompt :smack:

Ah, I'm sorry for assuming! Starting prewriting before submitting the primary? I don't believe you can submit without it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn just found out that the oldest MCAT taken by PCOM is August 2017 where my last MCAT was in January of 2017

Looks like reapp here isn't the move, boys. Good luck to all of you

Does anybody know where I can find the webpage stating PCOM's LOR requirements? I looked all around the admissions website and couldn't find it.

Damn just found out that the oldest MCAT taken by PCOM is August 2017 where my last MCAT was in January of 2017

Looks like reapp here isn't the move, boys. Good luck to all of you
2 years??? That’s crazy

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
How embarrassing. Thank you.
Not embarrassing at all. I doubt you were the only person that couldn’t find it. This is a place for questions and support as we’re all in this together! :)

• Love
So weird that there's no secondary! I guess now we just.... wait?? I wonder if they'll start sending out interviews earlier since they're skipping that step?

So weird that there's no secondary! I guess now we just.... wait?? I wonder if they'll start sending out interviews earlier since they're skipping that step?
The secondary is technically the question on the primary, I guess they don't pre-screen so they just throw it in the primary

How did you guys go about the "secondary" question? I feel like the "one aspect" part is throwing me off, but is it basically just asking "why PCOM?"
I made my 'one aspect' very broad, and then gave examples of PCOM specific things that fell under that 'one aspect'. Lol, kind of a work-around I guess.

How did you guys go about the "secondary" question? I feel like the "one aspect" part is throwing me off, but is it basically just asking "why PCOM?"
I approached the question but identifying one aspect of PCOM that I was interested in. As an undergraduate student, I was very involved in global health, so I talked about their Global Health Initiative and why that would be valuable to me as a student.

My AACOMAS was just verified a few days ago but I am anxiously awaiting secondaries already haha anyone else heard from PCOM?

PSA, there's a new MSAR-akin tool for DO schools now that's free to use. Figured I should share! Good luck everyone this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else applying to both campuses? Did you identify a different aspect for each campus??

Do you guys think it will go against me if I only use 800/2000 of the character limit for the “secondary” question on AACOMAS. I think I answered the question in a concise manner and I don’t really want to keep rambling about it.

Do you guys think it will go against me if I only use 800/2000 of the character limit for the “secondary” question on AACOMAS. I think I answered the question in a concise manner and I don’t really want to keep rambling about it.
No

Just received an email that they have received my application from AACOMAS and had a portal to view required materials as well as a payment site for their supplemental fee.

Just received an email that they have received my application from AACOMAS and had a portal to view required materials as well as a payment site for their supplemental fee.
Boooo I didn't get anything yet.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting the payment?

Does anyone know how strict they are with the LOR requirements? I have two science prof LOR and two doctor LOR, which is pretty standard for most schools. Will they even consider my application if I don't have another academic LOR??

When I go to the status portal it says my LOR and MCAT scores have not been received, but they have been uploaded to AACOMAS for 1 month. Does it just take a long time to be updated?

When I go to the status portal it says my LOR and MCAT scores have not been received, but they have been uploaded to AACOMAS for 1 month. Does it just take a long time to be updated?

In the print of the page said to allow for 15 business days for these letters of recommendation to be updated. In my experience last cycle it does take this entire 15 business days.

Does anyone know how strict they are with the LOR requirements? I have two science prof LOR and two doctor LOR, which is pretty standard for most schools. Will they even consider my application if I don't have another academic LOR??
Very strict, no leeway at all

Did you pay your fee. Last year they did not process anything until the fee had been processed and then allow the 15 business days. Make sure your MCAT scores are official or they will not show up on your checklist.

So I know that I had to pay separate primary application fees for each of the PCOM campuses, but does anyone know if that's the same case with the supplemental payments? If I already received an invitation to pay from the Philly campus, will I also receive separate invitations to pay for the two other GA campuses?

So I know that I had to pay separate primary application fees for each of the PCOM campuses, but does anyone know if that's the same case with the supplemental payments? If I already received an invitation to pay from the Philly campus, will I also receive separate invitations to pay for the two other GA campuses?
Yes separate fees for each campus

Does anyone know if they take AACOMAS fee waivers for the $75? I can't find anything on their website or in the portal to suggest yes. Also...why is there a supplemental fee when there is no supplemental application this year...????

Send a pdf of the notification approving you to each campus and then allow at least 15 business days for them to process the waiver and process the letters etc.

Does anyone know if they take AACOMAS fee waivers for the $75? I can't find anything on their website or in the portal to suggest yes. Also...why is there a supplemental fee when there is no supplemental application this year...????

Please read the email they sent to you with the invite to the secondary thoroughly.

"
  • If you have received an AACOMAS fee waiver, please forward via email to [email protected] your fee waiver documentation so that it may be used to waive your PCOM institutional fee."

Send a pdf of the notification approving you to each campus and then allow at least 15 business days for them to process the waiver and process the letters etc.

Addition to that, note that it will take 15 business days to apply and from my experience the last cycle, they will take all 15 of those.

Addition to that, note that it will take 15 business days to apply and from my experience the last cycle, they will take all 15 of those.
When you pay the fee it is automatically processed into your application, the fee waiver has to be manually processed which is why it can take longer. They do work as quickly and efficiently as possible but they get over 20,000 applications for all their programs, not just DO so there is a lot of patience needed in the process.