2019-2020 Postdoc Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carapox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am mentally prepared to do the big Interview Thread. I can if there's interest and nobody else prefers to do it, I just fear that I wouldn't update everything fast enough. I have some catastrophizing distortions about it :) But for now while it's still on the early side, I thought we should have a thread for general questions/concerns or help finding postdocs in specific areas, wine recommendations, etc...

How is the process going for everyone? I've found that joining the psych associations in the state i want to work has been great for finding postdoc opportunities (along with, of course, our dearly beloved universal directory).

Also wondering if anyone from last year's Internship Application/Interview threads will join the postdoc discussion this year. Every time I hear about Hallmark movies, I think of our time together last year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have most definitely been enjoying Hallmark and Netflix movies. Recently enjoyed the 5 love letters Netflix newbie. Not Christmasy, but super cute nonetheless!

As for applications, I am overwhelmed to be sure. With due dates ranging from December 1 to February 1, I am boggled by the sheer number of sites on the directory! Feeling mostly unsure how to create a standout cover letter in 1 page and wondering how much detail to include in my CV since sites will no longer have access to all the extra information such as essays.

Reactions: 1 user
I have most definitely been enjoying Hallmark and Netflix movies. Recently enjoyed the 5 love letters Netflix newbie. Not Christmasy, but super cute nonetheless!

As for applications, I am overwhelmed to be sure. With due dates ranging from December 1 to February 1, I am boggled by the sheer number of sites on the directory! Feeling mostly unsure how to create a standout cover letter in 1 page and wondering how much detail to include in my CV since sites will no longer have access to all the extra information such as essays.

The fellowship search is such a different animal than the internship search! I agree that there are so many options. Luckily/unluckily I shrank the radius from home that I am willing to apply to, so that narrowed my scope. The one thing that makes me feel a little better is that the stats look more in our favor. Instead of last year's depressing "1 position available, 800,000 applications received last year" it's more like "1 position available, 15 applications received last year."

As for cover letters? I got some advice from my brother who went through his medical fellowship search years ago. He said to restate the important parts of your CV, the most important things being the clinical experiences you've had that make you qualified for the position. My materials are a little dryer this time around. I don't think sites are getting as much of my personality as much as they are getting a sense of my professionalism, but I guess that's the new expectation this go around.

EDIT: Also, so good to speak with you again this year! I never watched any of the Hallmark/Netflix Christmas movies, but my mom stalked the threads last year and now she can't stop watching them bahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
The fellowship search is such a different animal than the internship search! I agree that there are so many options. Luckily/unluckily I shrank the radius from home that I am willing to apply to, so that narrowed my scope. The one thing that makes me feel a little better is that the stats look more in our favor. Instead of last year's depressing "1 position available, 800,000 applications received last year" it's more like "1 position available, 15 applications received last year."

As for cover letters? I got some advice from my brother who went through his medical fellowship search years ago. He said to restate the important parts of your CV, the most important things being the clinical experiences you've had that make you qualified for the position. My materials are a little dryer this time around. I don't think sites are getting as much of my personality as much as they are getting a sense of my professionalism, but I guess that's the new expectation this go around.

EDIT: Also, so good to speak with you again this year! I never watched any of the Hallmark/Netflix Christmas movies, but my mom stalked the threads last year and now she can't stop watching them bahaha

That is definitely true! However, I thought I was competitive last year and did not end up with that many interviews. I'm not really loving my site and so I'm thinking I want to branch out. That also makes me think I won't be a competitive applicant. Oh, the confidence crisis of it all.

Nice to see you back on here again as well!

That is definitely true! However, I thought I was competitive last year and did not end up with that many interviews. I'm not really loving my site and so I'm thinking I want to branch out. That also makes me think I won't be a competitive applicant. Oh, the confidence crisis of it all.

Nice to see you back on here again as well!

I was in a similar spot last year as well. Thought I had the whole thing in the bag and then oof, only 4 interviews out of 20ish applications. And I'm sorry that you aren't loving your site this year to the point that you want a change :( How big of a change are you thinking? We're all experts at reframing, right? I know you will be able to weave the narrative so the sites you apply to can see why they are the natural next step. If you ever need to bounce off ideas, feel free to PM me! Despite the efforts of the system, we will survive this with our self-esteem intact!

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 9.39.07 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
Hey yaallll! No lies, I’ve been binging cheesy Christmas movies on Netflix and waiting for someone else to start this thread.

Is anyone else so tired of applying for things?! I’m ready to be a grown up psychologist now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for starting this thread! The odds for postdocs definitely seem much better compared to last year's internship application process but I'm having a hard time finding postdoc positions in my area of interest (clinical positions, inpatient/smi). I've only found about 5 and I've gone through the universal directory, indeed, phdjobs.com, state psychological association, called up the local VAs.. - If anyone can offer suggestions on where to find postdoc positions, would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

All state hospitals (there are at least 10 with formal post-docs). Rehab hospitals? AMCs (most have inpatient psych units that can be part of the experience).

All state hospitals (there are at least 10 with formal post-docs). Rehab hospitals? AMCs (most have inpatient psych units that can be part of the experience).

Thank you!!

SO GLAD YOU SAID THIS. my materials feel better qualified but much dryer
Trying to focus on the difference in number discrepancy too. Likes yes this is still competitive but good god at least they have time to read all our applications (presumably)

I am going to be applying for postdoc next year. During internship, do we need to track our hours the way we did for practicum?

Hello all!

Looking for some advice/insight - not for me, but for my wife.

My wife is currently in the internship year of her program and is looking toward postdocs. She is already getting frustrated with the process, especially after last year's internship cycle was especially annoying.

During internships last year, she applied to close to twenty sites and only ended up with interviews at three sites (none of which were sites she truly wanted, but she went with what she could). She's currently completely miserable at her internship site and is worried about the same thing happening at the postdoc.

One problem she has run into (last year while searching for internships and again this year while searching for postdocs) is that she has always been assessment focused and the only opportunities tend to be therapy focused. She absolutely hates therapy. She tried to give it another shot this year with her internship in an effort to make herself more well-rounded (and again because there were very very few assessment-focused internships even available in the first place), but she has been completely miserable with the experience.

Now, she's looking at postdocs and we have been looking into the Los Angeles area as she was hoping to get a postdoc in at least the general region where we want to settle down. We've been looking over postdocs and almost every single postdoc in the Los Angeles/surrounding area is super therapy-focused. The ones that are assessment focused seem to be extra competitive.

Any advice on what we can/should do?

Her moving somewhere else to do a postdoc is not an option because I would not be able to move with her and we could not financially afford to live separately for a year.

Hello all!

Looking for some advice/insight - not for me, but for my wife.

My wife is currently in the internship year of her program and is looking toward postdocs. She is already getting frustrated with the process, especially after last year's internship cycle was especially annoying.

During internships last year, she applied to close to twenty sites and only ended up with interviews at three sites (none of which were sites she truly wanted, but she went with what she could). She's currently completely miserable at her internship site and is worried about the same thing happening at the postdoc.

One problem she has run into (last year while searching for internships and again this year while searching for postdocs) is that she has always been assessment focused and the only opportunities tend to be therapy focused. She absolutely hates therapy. She tried to give it another shot this year with her internship in an effort to make herself more well-rounded (and again because there were very very few assessment-focused internships even available in the first place), but she has been completely miserable with the experience.

Now, she's looking at postdocs and we have been looking into the Los Angeles area as she was hoping to get a postdoc in at least the general region where we want to settle down. We've been looking over postdocs and almost every single postdoc in the Los Angeles/surrounding area is super therapy-focused. The ones that are assessment focused seem to be extra competitive.

Any advice on what we can/should do?

Her moving somewhere else to do a postdoc is not an option because I would not be able to move with her and we could not financially afford to live separately for a year.

First of all, thank you so much for saving our planet from the evil Cell monster!

I wish I had great advice to give. The best I can do is to suggest that she look into "unofficial" postdocs (I think that's the term). Essentially just going around looking for places that are hiring and inquiring if they'd be willing to accept an applicant who is not licensed. If obtaining her license is a must for her, she may be asked to pay for her own supervision, or they may just give her a lower salary and call it even. I think that might provide the most flexibility for her. I'm sorry you're both having a rough time.

Whelp, there went nothing. After hours upon days upon weeks of fear and rumination about finding the "right" sites....I have sent my lists to my recommendation writers. Short of some awesome sites coming into the game late.... I can now focus on cover letters and updating my CV. *deep sigh*

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else's letter writers having a hell of a time submitting letters to APPA CAS?

My letter writer can only see the first 8 sites, then after submission she cannot see the remaining letter requests. Another intern I'm working work said her letter writer had a similar issue, but logged off and back on again and it worked, which did not work for my letter writer. :shrug: The website FAQ for letter writers says maybe just use firefox or chrome browsers.

Does anyone know what to include if a site asks for an "Application Cover Page". Seeking some help

They just want a cover letter, nothing special.
That's what I thought, but the brochure says to include 1) Application Cover Page 2) Cover Letter/Personal Statement 3) CV, etc. etc. I thought it was bizarre that they noted separation between the two

I am thinking ahead to next year. How many postdocs do people apply to in neuro or pediatric neuro? If we end up in an internship with less than 50% neuro, is it still likely we can get a neuro postdoc? If the internship supervisor is not board certified in neuro but provides neuro assessment, does that count as neuro? I am trying to consider postdoc in ranking internships. Thanks everyone!