2019-2020 Rutgers, New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my interview at NJMS a few weeks ago and one of the first questions the interviewer asked me “was what schools have you interviewed at and where have you been accepted?” Did anyone else experienced this and what are peoples thoughts on what they were getting at and whether this was OK for them to ask?

They asked me how many schools I applied to. I thought it was because of stats. They probably want to see whether you would attend if accepted. I don’t think the question is fair but what can you do about it when you are in the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They asked me how many schools I applied to. I thought it was because of stats. They probably want to see whether you would attend if accepted. I don’t think the question is fair but what can you do about it when you are in the interview.
Due to the new trafficking rules schools are attempting to adapt . They don’t know where you’re applying or where you’ve been accepted

I had my interview at NJMS a few weeks ago and one of the first questions the interviewer asked me “was what schools have you interviewed at and where have you been accepted?” Did anyone else experienced this and what are peoples thoughts on what they were getting at and whether this was OK for them to ask?
I interviewed here this month and was not asked that

Members don't see this ad :)
A question for next year, if you submit the NJMS primary RD, can you opt into the ED program later on? Like submitting RD June 1, but opting in ED July 1? or Vice versa

A question for next year, if you submit the NJMS primary RD, can you opt into the ED program later on? Like submitting RD June 1, but opting in ED July 1? or Vice versa

If you’re thinking about ED here I would reach out to dean Heinrich now. He usually gives you pretty decent advice on whether or not you’re competitive or shouldn’t apply ED.

Also the turn around is only 2 weeks for ED applicants so you would know in plenty of time to submit all your RD applications after that, especially if your app is complete and submitted on the first few days of the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Anyone know the latest interview date that has heard back so far? I interviewed on 12/16 so I'm awhile away, but just curious

If you’re thinking about ED here I would reach out to dean Heinrich now. He usually gives you pretty decent advice on whether or not you’re competitive or shouldn’t apply ED.

Also the turn around is only 2 weeks for ED applicants so you would know in plenty of time to submit all your RD applications after that, especially if your app is complete and submitted on the first few days of the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I was considering ED depending on what my MCAT comes out to. I won't be getting the score till Late june probably which is why I was trying to understand the logistics

Anyone know what the odds of getting off the priority alternate list are?

Last edited:
Anyone know what the odds of getting off the high priority alternate list are?
Were you put on the HPWL? If so, when did you interview? From what I know, it moves more than regular WL. Emailing them updates probably improves your chances (Dr. H seems to like updates.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a difference between high priority alternate list vs priority alternate list?

I never received a secondary application. I know it’s pretty late now but was wondering if they don’t send secondaries to some people? Or maybe there was an issue in sending mine? My primary was processed and I just never heard back.

I never received a secondary application. I know it’s pretty late now but was wondering if they don’t send secondaries to some people? Or maybe there was an issue in sending mine? My primary was processed and I just never heard back.
Hmm that’s odd. I don’t think they screen. Did you try reaching out to admissions?

Congrats on the IIs and As everyone! If you'd be willing to add your info to the tracker, future applicants and current applicants would be forever grateful :)

add IIs here ADD YOUR OUTCOMES HERE
check your school's data here.

hey fellow applicants! does anyone know if its too late for that interview invite? did anyone maybe see the last interview date available?

Just got the invite for second look. This year it's on Friday, March 20th

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if movement off the wait list is ongoing or just in April?

Hey! Any current students here that I can message to ask some questions about the school/student life? Thanks in advance!

Just got the invite for second look. This year it's on Friday, March 20th

Don't forget to join the Facebook page "New Jersey Medical School- Class of 2024!"
Join in the discussion so we can get to know each other better :)

Hey! Any current students here that I can message to ask some questions about the school/student life? Thanks in advance!
Hi, feel free to message me. I'm a third year at NJMS

I called admission on 1/24 and was told that I should hear back from my interview (12/16) within 2-3 more weeks. They said that there's a bit of extra time with decisions because of the holidays thrown in the middle.

I called admission on 1/24 and was told that I should hear back from my interview (12/16) within 2-3 more weeks. They said that there's a bit of extra time with decisions because of the holidays thrown in the middle.

do you remember if there were II dates later in December than yours? If not, that would mean they’re almost up to 1st week of January decisions as well!

do you remember if there were II dates later in December than yours? If not, that would mean they’re almost up to 1st week of January decisions as well!

The way she said it made it seem like all the decisions before the holidays will be coming out in 2-3 weeks and then will come the interviews after the holidays. Sounded like there was just a delay in responses due to the holidays.

Priority alt list, interviewed early December IS

Last edited:
Anyone else waiting to hear from a November interview?

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know when financial aid/scholarship info comes out

Would getting accepted off a priority list in the future mean that I probably won't get any scholarships?

Priority alternate list here, too! I interviewed on December 16th. I will probably pull my application. Good luck y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal alternate list. Interviewed 12/16. Best of luck everyone!

Have any acceptances gone out lately?

Do we know how often the adcom meets? 12/16-12/17 were the last interviews before 1st week of Jan (when I interviewed) so I’m hoping this means I’ll hear next week

Put on the Priority Alternate List yesterday, interviewed 12/18, in-state. Is there somewhere we need to accept our position as on the alternate list? I'm not seeing anything

Is there a room in which to store luggage? Thanks to a cancelled flight, I'll now be going to my interview directly from the airport.

Is there a room in which to store luggage? Thanks to a cancelled flight, I'll now be going to my interview directly from the airport.
Oof that’s rough. Sorry to hear that. When we get there, we are directed to the office of admissions. Maybe you can leave it there.

You can leave it in the admission office’s waiting room. I left my carry-on and backpack there along with all the other applicants’ stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone received a pre-II R that was complete late July? Still have yet to hear anything....

Anyone have an update on health & immunization forms? There is no update on my portal.

my interview was Jan 13 - does anybody have an estimate on when decisions may be released for that date

Anyone know how long Rutgers' interview season is?