2019-2020 Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:

We are offering a primary care tract called PACCE that provides extensive mentoring and longitudinal care experiences in your third year of medical school. We will be conducting an additional interview for applicants interested in this track. For accepted students selected for PACCE, First and second year medical school experiences, placement in PACCE practices, and primary care advisement will be available.

-Are you interested in participating in PACCE?
(if yes or maybe, then: If yes or maybe, please provide a short paragraph explaining how you know a primary care focused specialty is your preference)

-If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

-Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

-If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a line-by-line description of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

-Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.

-Please explain your connection to NJ: (it has options of:

Please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS or other connections to Rutgers University.

-Is there anything you would like to share to clarify your application?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it worth applying here being out of state and without any connections to the school? They seem to emphasize this more than other public schools I’ve looked at.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a character/word limit on the secondary essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received; verified 6/06

Secondary received, verified 5/30

Secondary received, verified 5/30

Is it worth applying here being out of state and without any connections to the school? They seem to emphasize this more than other public schools I’ve looked at.
From MSAR, the school only accepts roughly 20% out of state students. So unless you have stellar stats, I would probably stray away if you are not in-state NJ or do not have a connection to Rutgers. Even a question on the secondary discusses your connection to NJ and Rutgers

Reactions: 1 user
Is anybody else's portal saying their CASPer is not yet received even though it was sent? Can't tell if it's just a matter of them not updating it yet or if there's actually an issue.

Is anybody else's portal saying their CASPer is not yet received even though it was sent? Can't tell if it's just a matter of them not updating it yet or if there's actually an issue.
None of the schools I've gotten secondaries from that require CASPer have shown that it's there yet. Took it in mid-May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the secondary: @PapaGuava
We are offering a primary care tract called PACCE that provides extensive mentoring and longitudinal care experiences in your third year of medical school. We will be conducting an additional interview for applicants interested in this track. For accepted students selected for PACCE, First and second year medical school experiences, placement in PACCE practices, and primary care advisement will be available.

(if yes or maybe, then: If yes or maybe, please provide a short paragraph explaining how you know a primary care focused specialty is your preference)

-If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

-Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

-If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a line-by-line description of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

-Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.

Please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS or other connections to Rutgers University.

None of the schools I've gotten secondaries from that require CASPer have shown that it's there yet. Took it in mid-May.
Thank you! Yeah I figured it out. Once I submitted I got an email saying my CASPer would be sent now.

Here is the secondary: @PapaGuava

View attachment 269911

just to clarify, the explain your connection to NJ question says:
"If your applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection:"

so you don't answer it if you are an NJ resident

Reactions: 2 users
"If your applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection:"

I caught that last second too. Lol, would’ve been a bad look for not following directions :p

oh whoops!! thanks for pointing that out, definitely missed those directions. I appreciate it!

By the way, is anyone adding a diversity or "why RWJMS" to "Is there anything you would like to share to clarify your application?". The tone kind of seems like they dont want an essay like that, rather something to clarify missing in your app?

By the way, is anyone adding a diversity or "why RWJMS" to "Is there anything you would like to share to clarify your application?". The tone kind of seems like they dont want an essay like that, rather something to clarify missing in your app?
I wrote like a short 100 word "why us" essay for like one program I found that I liked. Now I'm kinda wishing I left it blank, but oh well.

I wrote like a short 100 word "why us" essay for like one program I found that I liked. Now I'm kinda wishing I left it blank, but oh well.
yeah this seems very tricky, like it makes me want to leave it blank but also if I don't add anything, would it seem like I don't care? Hopefully adding something wouldn't hurt

yeah this seems very tricky, like it makes me want to leave it blank but also if I don't add anything, would it seem like I don't care? Hopefully adding something wouldn't hurt
That was my reason. I never know what to do lmao.

RIP grammar

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Secondary submitted, best of luck everyone!

Is there a character limit on this secondary this year? I'm confused

Is there a character limit on this secondary this year? I'm confused
It doesn't appear so. I would just get your point across concisely either way.

For the PACCE track prompt,

We are offering a primary care track called PACCE that provides extensive mentoring and longitudinal care experiences in your third year of medical
school. We will be conducting an additional interview for applicants interested in this track. For accepted students selected for PACCE, First and second-year medical school experiences, placement in PACCE practices, and primary care advisement will be available. If yes or maybe, please provide a short paragraph explaining how you know a primary care focused specialty is your preference.

So when it says "a short paragraph" it means they want one paragraph only right? Putting two would mean im not following directions?

For the PACCE track prompt,

We are offering a primary care track called PACCE that provides extensive mentoring and longitudinal care experiences in your third year of medical
school. We will be conducting an additional interview for applicants interested in this track. For accepted students selected for PACCE, First and second-year medical school experiences, placement in PACCE practices, and primary care advisement will be available. If yes or maybe, please provide a short paragraph explaining how you know a primary care focused specialty is your preference.

So when it says "a short paragraph" it means they want one paragraph only right? Putting two would mean im not following directions?
I would probably keep it short. Considering RRWJ had 225 character limits secondaries last year, I can imagine their ADCOMS want to get straight to the point.

I would probably keep it short. Considering RRWJ had 225 character limits secondaries last year, I can imagine their ADCOMS want to get straight to the point.
+1

What's the point of the document upload tab? Should we upload our resume/does it help or harm us at all?

My dad's best friend from college resides in NJ. I've been there a few times (taken a trip there 5 times and stayed for weeks). Would that count as a connection?

My dad's best friend from college resides in NJ. I've been there a few times (taken a trip there 5 times and stayed for weeks). Would that count as a connection?
it could count as "Other connection" but I think it depends on how you word it, ex: a family friend/someone that is basically family, then that makes sense as a connection to NJ

Just got my marked complete email!

How are y'all answering: "If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide information to explain this time by providing a line-by-line description of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year"?

My primary app already answers this since I'm a non-trad. All my work/volunteering is already put in, so would it seem redundant to repeat it?

what does this mean, line by line description? We have to account for each month specifically? And should it be like, January 2017, XYZ or XYZ and put the months after each activity?

Does this mean RJW isn't too keen on people who took gap years during college?
I just listed line by line, for example:

August 2016-March 2017: I volunteered as an academic tutor at BIDMC for other employees enrolled in college courses through BIDMC. I tutored three individuals in English and Biology.

June 2017- September2017: I completed an Emergency Medical Technician-B course in Montclair, NJ at Hackensack Meridian Health Mountainside Medical Center. During this time I volunteered as an observer at Endeavor Emergency Squad

I don't think it means they aren't keen on people taking gap years, I think they just want to make sure that you used your gap years effectively and/or what you did during them

Thanks for sharing! If I did certain things for longer (say one activity from January to march, and another January to April) should I split them up?
Yes I would- that was only a small example, I only grouped items together that had the same timeline/months; here's another one where there is some overlap:

September 2017-July 2018: I received my EMT-B certification in September 2017 and then became a volunteer EMT at Endeavor Emergency Squad. Endeavor Emergency Squad is the busiest 911 agency in Burlington County.

September 2017-December 2018: I finished my remaining pre-medical courses at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ.

Hopefully that helps!

Hey guys, I might be missing something obvious but how are you guys answering "Were you, or are you, employed during the school year?" Which school year exactly is this question referring to? Is it the 2019-2020 school year, or is it referring to any or all school year(s) during our undergrad?

Hey guys, I might be missing something obvious but how are you guys answering "Were you, or are you, employed during the school year?" Which school year exactly is this question referring to? Is it the 2019-2020 school year, or is it referring to any or all school year(s) during our undergrad?
I took it as all school years but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
What are y'all writing for the last question: "Is there anything you would like to share to clarify your application?" I'm not sure what to write since I've clarified my slow start with GPA. I'm going to start a mentorship program this week. Should I add that?

Yes I would- that was only a small example, I only grouped items together that had the same timeline/months; here's another one where there is some overlap:

September 2017-July 2018: I received my EMT-B certification in September 2017 and then became a volunteer EMT at Endeavor Emergency Squad. Endeavor Emergency Squad is the busiest 911 agency in Burlington County.

September 2017-December 2018: I finished my remaining pre-medical courses at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ.

Hopefully that helps!
What if it's for a single gap year, like should I explain what I plan to be doing over the next year (ex. July 2019- July 2020)?

Hopefully that helps!
thank you!

Anyone else having trouble logging onto the portal after submitting? I guess it's not a huge deal since all my stuff is already in but I just wanted to see if this is an issue for anyone else. Complete 7/1

Anyone else having trouble logging onto the portal after submitting? I guess it's not a huge deal since all my stuff is already in but I just wanted to see if this is an issue for anyone else. Complete 7/1

I'm trying to submit it right now but can't seem to log in. It just refreshes the page whenever I press the login button...

deleted! have a good one!

Last edited: