2019-2020 Saint Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Saint Louis University

Members don't see this ad.

Dont appear to be any essays this year.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also includes the question:
"Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?" with a 10,000 character limit

"Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?" with a 10,000 character limit
So Why SLU xD

Reactions: 1 user
Should I use this as a diversity essay, why SLU, or just leave it blank?

Last edited:
Secondary received. I'm thinking of using the additional comments as a why SLU essay since I went to undergrad here. Is there somewhere we are supposed to submit our letters of rec in the portal? Mine is showing as "none submitted" but they are all received in AMCAS.

Secondary received and submitted! God bless SLU for ez pz secondaries.

What's the consensus on the second essay? Why SLU? I usually throw in a current activities essay for these "anything else" prompts, but that's already covered in the first question.

Secondary received. I'm thinking of using the additional comments as a why SLU essay since I went to undergrad here. Is there somewhere we are supposed to submit our letters of rec in the portal? Mine is showing as "none submitted" but they are all received in AMCAS.
Yeah it shows 'none-submitted' for me as well

Yeah, I'm kinda concerned. I already assigned letters to St. Louis on AMCAS, so idk what's going on.

Secondary received. I will be using the additional comments as a "Why SLU?" essay!

Members don't see this ad :)
My letters of recommendation status has a green check mark but when I click on document status it still says no letters have been received. Does anyone else have this problem?

My letters of recommendation status has a green check mark but when I click on document status it still says no letters have been received. Does anyone else have this problem?
Mine says the same!

How many characters do you have to work with if you need to write the "not currently enrolled in courses" prompt?

Would a longish paragraph be sufficient for a "why SLU" essay? I'm not really sure what is too much/too little since 10000 characters is a bit unrealistic

Application submitted and marked complete today (7/10). For reference, I used ~2100 characters for the "not currently enrolled in courses" prompt and ~5000 characters for the "anything else" prompt (in my case, Why SLU). Good luck everyone!!!!

Last edited:
Application submitted and marked complete today (7/10). For reference, I used ~2100 characters for the "not currently enrolled in courses" prompt and ~5000 characters for the "anything else prompt" (in my case, Why SLU). Good luck everyone!!!!
Did you get a complete email?

For the question "Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?" I was fined by my school after they found my fake ID when it fell out of my wallet on campus, and I had to report it on AMCAS. Is this what they're talking about? It seems like they're talking about pretty serious actions but not sure.

Also, do we have to do why SLU for the additional info question? Or would a diversity essay also work? Would prefer the latter since I already have that written for other schools lol

Last edited:
For the question "Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?" I was fined by my school after they found my fake ID when it fell out of my wallet on campus, and I had to report it on AMCAS. Is this what they're talking about? It seems like they're talking about pretty serious actions but not sure.

Also, do we have to do why SLU for the additional info question? Or would a diversity essay also work? Would prefer the latter since I already have that written for other schools lol
I received an alcohol violation way back during my freshman year (disclosed on AMCAS), and I included this information on the secondary... went back and forth about it but eventually figured it would be better to be safe than sorry!

I received an alcohol violation way back during my freshman year (disclosed on AMCAS), and I included this information on the secondary... went back and forth about it but eventually figured it would be better to be safe than sorry!
Did you just copy and paste what you wrote on AMCAS? Not exactly sure how else to write about it haha

Did anyone else just get a random email saying this:

Dear Prospective Applicant,
Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a career of service to society. The University’s mission statement affirms the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and professional lives an appreciation for ethical and professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and affect the physician’s interactions with patients and colleagues, and with society.

Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a career of service to society. The University’s mission statement affirms the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and professional lives an appreciation for ethical and professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and affect the physician’s interactions with patients and colleagues, and with society.
Yes

Yeet

They have already sent this to most SLU undergrad students after receiving their MCAT score. I'm guessing it's now going to everyone else. There's no significance behind it, just letting you know more about the school.

I got one too. Do you think this means anything or is it just sent out to tons of people? I didn't apply here, but one of my letter writers graduated from this medical school. Is it worth applying this late?

I got one too. Do you think this means anything or is it just sent out to tons of people? I didn't apply here, but one of my letter writers graduated from this medical school. Is it worth applying this late?
I think it was just sent to a bunch of people. And I don't think it's too late to apply, it's only July 12th.

Would it be okay to write a Why St. Louis (the city, not the school specifically) for the optional essay? I live about 2 hours from the city and am very fond of it having frequently visited throughout my life. Not sure what else to say and thought of leaving it blank as well

anyone else says no letters have been submitted when they click on the LOR details?

anyone else says no letters have been submitted when they click on the LOR details?
I emailed them. Their response was
Dear TravelingMedicine,

Your letters were received and your application was complete on 7/xx and has entered the review queue. There is a glitch on the applicant side that our programmers are currently looking into that doesn't show that letters have been received. We apologize for any confusion.

Office of Admissions
Saint Louis University School of Medicine

hi guys, was wondering if there was any current med student at SLU or someone writing a why SLU essay for the additional comments section willing to look at what I've written so far. I'm willing to swap essays if applicable. thanks!

Are there any reapplicants using the extra comments prompt to talk about why they are reapplying/what they've improved on?

This might be a silly question but-- How formal do you think the mentor reference part of this application is? Like should I put my research lab professor as my mentor, or should I put one of the graduate students I worked under because they know more about what I actually did in the lab?

@Jhepp23

What is not uncommonly done is the grad student or direct mentor will write the letter (because they know you better and more personally) and the PI/main professor will sign the letter.

Is anyone writing about how their religion connects to their overall passion to be a physician and how it relates to Saint Louis' Jesuit background?

Is anyone writing about how their religion connects to their overall passion to be a physician and how it relates to Saint Louis' Jesuit background?
I did, but I didn't focus on it. I mentioned it in one sentence and then talked about other things