2019-2020 Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSC-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I’ve noticed that everyone who interviewed before 11/22 got decisions pretty quickly, and I have not heard of anyone from 11/22 getting notified of acceptance or rejection yet that aren’t pre matches. do we think that they may just wait until Match day now or could an update be coming? I’m going crazy checking my email every second

I interviewed 10/19 and haven’t heard anything.
Don’t jump to conclusions so quickly. Most Texas schools let the match sort out what happens for the majority of their seats.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! If we accept the offer now, is it binding or are we still able to rank other schools higher for match day?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get an interview conflict email?

Last edited:
Got my pre-interview R just past noon, today. Best of luck to everyone!

• Sad
Late reply but I got my acceptance on the 17th. Super excited since it's my first one, I really loved everything the school said they're doing and how they're planning the program!! Interviewed 11/22.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if OOS A/R/WL decisions are delayed until after match day? I am OOS and interviewing 1/10, so just curious on how all of this works! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if OOS A/R/WL decisions are delayed until after match day? I am OOS and interviewing 1/10, so just curious on how all of this works! Thanks in advance!
Hi! OOS, non trad by 1year. Interviewed 12/13, Offered acceptance 12/17.

Is it your top choice as an OOS? Or are you looking more towards your in-state schools?
After interviewing, I would say that it is my top choice. I had a really great experience and felt like the faculty will really try and help us to succeed. It is a new school, but we have the rare opportunity to make it what we want. Also, since the class is relatively small, I feel like we will be able to have a lot more opportunities that we wouldn't at a school with a much larger class.

Has anybody seen or heard anything regarding a calendar for the the first year? I’m trying to find out around what date we would be done with first year because I am trying to plan a wedding for the summer in between first and second year and want to make sure I don’t pick a date that interferes with school

Has anybody received rejections? Emailed them and they said that people will be notified regardless of whether they’ve been accepted or rejected. There are no set dates for when either decision will be sent out.

Has anyone who’s prematched here gotten a letter yet? Also is there anything else we need to do to accept the offer at this point other than clicking that you accept on the school’s portal website?

Anyone from 12/13 interview date get accepted or prematched yet, have they started reviewing yet or are they waiting till after the holiday

II 12/13 have not back as well. Has anyone had rejections or acceptances who interviews this date?

Received an acceptance here! Anyone else who has received acceptance and plan on going, have you received any more emails from them? Also where do you plan on living? Is there a facebook group set up?

Thanks

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my prematch! Hoping the acceptance goes to one of you deserving applicants!

Reactions: 5 users
Received an acceptance here! Anyone else who has received acceptance and plan on going, have you received any more emails from them? Also where do you plan on living? Is there a facebook group set up?

Thanks
Congratulations!!! What date did you II if you don’t me nd me asking?

Post interview rejection as well. Interviewed 1/10. So upset and confused because I truly killed the interviews and the people that interviewed me made that pretty clear...

Wow. I didn't think I'd hear anything from them prior to the match at this point. I interviewed at their second interview and just received a rejection as well.

I didn't rank them 1st of the schools I interviewed at, but they were the first of 2 I have interviewed at. So needless to say, the anticipation towards February 3rd just became a lot more high-stressed...

I was under the impression that schools participating in the match let interviewed applicants know of their decision match day/post-match day (assuming no-prematch)?

if you get a post-interview rejection does that mean you can't participate in the matching system of TMDSAS?

if you get a post-interview rejection does that mean you can't participate in the matching system of TMDSAS?

How funny would it be if they had to start making offers to applicants they had rejected prior to match to fill their class? I don't know how many they actually interviewed, but again, assuming most of the applicants they did interview got into other schools, what is their contingency plan if they don't match a full class? Maybe their adcom is confident this won't be the case, but by issuing rejections prior to match, I tend to think they are shooting themselves in the foot. No other TMDSAS school does this. They simply let the match sort it out and then extend WL spots to a certain amount of their highest ranked students that didn't get in.

How funny would it be if they had to start making offers to applicants they had rejected prior to match to fill their class? I don't know how many they actually interviewed, but again, assuming most of the applicants they did interview got into other schools, what is their contingency plan if they don't match a full class?
I was wondering the same, I mean they did interview quite a number of people I guess. But still could you not wait till the match day? Also, they can't interview anymore since their last day was this month? It would be so dumb unless they have waitlisted a number of people.

Same boat having only interviewed at two schools. I've got a great feeling about the other school, so we'll see. Backup plan is to get into MPH program or start looking into a graduate nutritional biochemistry program.

Same! Interviewed at two schools... now all my hopes are on the one remaining!

I have an A at KCUMB, but am curious if this school is worth it if I live close to Houston?

I think both end up costing roughly the same in the end with maybe +/- 20k (it’s a lot but in the overall view it’ll be 250k altogether lol).

KCUMB is a solid school with a strong match list.

but Sam is close to home and I think it will be good long term, there will probably be a few rough starting pains but overall solid

I want to do General Surgery

I have an A at KCUMB, but am curious if this school is worth it if I live close to Houston?

I think both end up costing roughly the same in the end with maybe +/- 20k (it’s a lot but in the overall view it’ll be 250k altogether lol).

KCUMB is a solid school with a strong match list.

but Sam is close to home and I think it will be good long term, there will probably be a few rough starting pains but overall solid

I want to do General Surgery

I also have a spot at KCU and debating about SHSU. Am from the Houston area as well. Yes, I think KCU is a tad cheaper at $48k/year vs $55k/year.

Can anyone comment on if the two interview sessions are closed or open file? I can’t find any info on the website. Also, for those who have interviewed, did you get the sense that it was more of a conversation, or was it more ‘serious’ and on to the next question after each answer you gave? I’m not necessarily nervous, just curious what to be expecting. Thanks for any insight!

I believe it is a closed file exam. My interviewers had a list of specific questions they went through with time for you to ask questions at the end, so it definitely felt more scripted and less conversational.

Did you prematch SHSU? I may end up needing to choose between KCU & SHSU, also but I'm from North Texas. Still a lot closer to family.

Yes, received my offer a few weeks ago. Which one are you leaning to? Are you accepted at the Joplin or KC campus, I know they're the same - Im just curious lol?

Yes, received my offer a few weeks ago. Which one are you leaning to? Are you accepted at the Joplin or KC campus, I know they're the same - Im just curious lol?
That's awesome, congrats. I'm actually waitlisted at KCU right now, but if that turns into an acceptance, I'd probably lean towards them. Being the first class of a med school scares me. Did you get KC or Joplin?

That's awesome, congrats. I'm actually waitlisted at KCU right now, but if that turns into an acceptance, I'd probably lean towards them. Being the first class of a med school scares me. Did you get KC or Joplin?

That's better than an R, I heard the waitlist movement is strong at KCU since they're a great DO school meaning many accepted applicants end up at MD as well, causing WL movement. I got into Joplin! I really liked the small-town vibe and tight-knit community.

I personally like KC better simply due to its location, and I'd rather be in a bigger city. However, Joplin seems to have nicer facilities and strong rotation opportunities. I've interviewed at both (KC in a previous cycle; Joplin this time).

Yeah, we were told it's the same school regardless of location. We are all ranked in one big list during medical school, regardless of location. I picked Joplin since it's cheaper to live and I could probably harness the lack of activities in order to study my ass off lol. Other than that, I have family and friends in Joplin. But good luck man!

At this time I'm leaning on KCU, simply cause of opportunities from KCU seem better. But SHSU is close to home

Heard a rumor today that the first class will have tuition waived. Can anyone corroborate this?

Heard a rumor today that the first class will have tuition waived. Can anyone corroborate this?

I have heard these rumors as well, but at this point I have no reason to believe it will actually happen. It has always been framed with "working on figuring out how to fund" kind of wording.

I asked about this during my interview day and they said there are likely no scholarships for the first four years. I’d be interested to also learn where you got this info from.

I was wondering the same, I mean they did interview quite a number of people I guess. But still could you not wait till the match day? Also, they can't interview anymore since their last day was this month? It would be so dumb unless they have waitlisted a number of people.
I agree, it is particularly odd that they are sending out rejections pre-match day. Maybe they interviewed an abundance of applicants and are confident they will fill the class.