2019-2020 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Sidney Kimmel Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Just graduated from Jeff. Headed to residency! Happy to answer any questions about Jefferson before I start intern year.

Reactions: 2 users
Just graduated from Jeff. Headed to residency! Happy to answer any questions about Jefferson before I start intern year.
Congrats on your match! Did you ever feel like Jeff's class size was too big? Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your match! Did you ever feel like Jeff's class size was too big? Thanks :)

There are definitely times that the large class was a detriment, and some times when it was a benefit. More people means more opportunities to make friends and find people with common interests. It also means there are many strong and robust student groups to participate in (shout out to Refugee Health Partners). However on clinical rotations I thought the large class size was a huge downside because in my experience we had more students on each medical team than my friends at other medical schools, it also means that you will do a lot of rotations not at Jeff (this is SUPER common and few schools do all of their rotations at their home institution) but for Jeff it makes it harder for sure. The benefit of doing rotations outside your institution is that you get to see other health systems other hospitals and make more connections for residency applications.

Regarding the match and the big class, we had like 18 people go into ortho this year and they matched all of them from my understanding. This seems to be true year after year regarding competitive specialties (ortho, optho, ENT, gen surg). If you go here and do well, you will have a very good chance to match into a residency at a big name program.

I would say if you like working in smaller teams, think hard about the class size issue if you have other choices. If not, don't sweat it because Jeff is great and you will get where you need to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Guys, can someone chance me? My GPA isn't the best (sGPA + cGPA are 3.57) and MCAT is looking to be around 513-517. I have plenty of ECs and I'm doing research this fall even though I'm applying for the 2020 cycle. I'm thinking of doing Early Decision for this school because honestly if I get into Jefferson, then I'm all set

Guys, can someone chance me? My GPA isn't the best (sGPA + cGPA are 3.57) and MCAT is looking to be around 513-517. I have plenty of ECs and I'm doing research this fall even though I'm applying for the 2020 cycle. I'm thinking of doing Early Decision for this school because honestly if I get into Jefferson, then I'm all set
ORM? URM? Honestly I think your GPA is a bit on the low end, but if you get a 515+ it could make up for it! Be careful about EDP though. Do you have any ties to the school, and have you spoken with admissions about possibly applying EDP?

ORM? URM? Honestly I think your GPA is a bit on the low end, but if you get a 515+ it could make up for it! Be careful about EDP though. Do you have any ties to the school, and have you spoken with admissions about possibly applying EDP?
Unfortunately ORM (South Asian). I may be able to get the GPA to 3.6 so idk how much that would help but I've talked to other people about EDP and they've said it'll be beneficial since it increases your chances. Jefferson is also my state school so idk if that helps

lol I really hope that GPA is good enough for Jeff.

I've only heard bad things about applying ED unless you have incredibly strong ties to the school/committee. ED might increase your chances for TJ slightly, but if it doesn't work out you'll be basically 2-3 months late for every other school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Some of you may have seen me on last year's thread, but I am a 3rd year at Jeff, and was part of the first class with the new curriculum. I am happy to answer all questions and direct messages sent my way! Good luck with the application and interview process this year!

Hi everyone! Some of you may have seen me on last year's thread, but I am a 3rd year at Jeff, and was part of the first class with the new curriculum. I am happy to answer all questions and direct messages sent my way! Good luck with the application and interview process this year!

Hey! I had a few questions about the curriculum. What did you like most about it and what did you like least? Did you feel that you had enough patient and clinical exposure during the first 2 years? Did you interact with real patients or simulated ones? What do you think about the Scholarly Inquiry tracks (useful, took time away from other activities, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Hey!
I'm accepted to another great med school but Jeff is my top choice. I'm still on the waitlist. Do you know if there is a chance to get off as its June already?

Thanks,
Ariana

I have a question for any current or future students: what did you end up writing about in their 4,000 character optional essay?

Hey! I had a few questions about the curriculum. What did you like most about it and what did you like least? Did you feel that you had enough patient and clinical exposure during the first 2 years? Did you interact with real patients or simulated ones? What do you think about the Scholarly Inquiry tracks (useful, took time away from other activities, etc.)? Thanks in advance!
Hey! I really did like the new curriculum! I really enjoyed having small groups because they were great opportunities to meet other students and to work as a team. I am still friends with all of my small group members. A lot of things that we did not like about the new curriculum were hashed out for the current first years as we were the first class with the new curriculum and made suggestions as to how to fix it. We did have a lot of patient exposure through things like clinical experience (work in a clinic), and working with standardized patients in clinical skills. Scholarly Inquiry was good if you found good projects to work on which I had a chance to do. So it really does depend on what projects you end up finding. I hope that helps and if you have any other questions please let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
I'm accepted to another great med school but Jeff is my top choice. I'm still on the waitlist. Do you know if there is a chance to get off as its June already?

Thanks,
Ariana
Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school! On last years thread I saw someone say that the waitlist has been moving slower than usual, as people make decisions, so I would definitely say that there is still hope. There were people getting into Jefferson through June and July so there is still hope! I hope that answers your question and please let me know if you have any other questions!

I have a question for any current or future students: what did you end up writing about in their 4,000 character optional essay?
You can really write about anything you want. You can write about research, why you are a good fit, volunteer work, diversity, etc. So, you can use the space however you like!

If this helps at all I'm ORM with pretty much the exact same stats as you (but I had a lower MCAT). I applied last cycle, got an interview, and was placed on the HPWL. Don't let your stats discourage you! If you really want to go here make your intentions clear and send continuous updates to the school and Dr. Callahan. Hope this helps!

Secondary received at 3:11 EST. Same things as last year asking about SAT/ACT scores, fill out LoR info, demographic info, and then a "Do you have any additional information that hasn't been covered? (4000 Characters)" prompt.

what do people generally write for these "additional info" prompts if you don't have to explain for parts of your application or have any ties to the school?
I'm planning on copy/pasting a short version of my "what are you doing for this academic year" essay

Secondary received at 3:11 EST. Same things as last year asking about SAT/ACT scores, fill out LoR info, demographic info, and then a "Do you have any additional information that hasn't been covered? (4000 Characters)" prompt.

+1! Got it at 3:25 EST

Anyone thinking about using a diversity essay or a why us essay here?

For the following question on the secondary:

Which programs are you applying for?
Physician Shortage Area Program (For applicants from rural areas who plan rural practice)
DIMER Program (For Delaware residents only)
MD/MPH

If you're applying just MD do you refrain from selecting any?

Physician Shortage Area Program (For applicants from rural areas who plan rural practice)
MD/MPH

I was wondering the same thing

MD/MPH

I would assume not selecting any of those options unless they are applicable :) I was able to save progress without an error without selecting any!

just got secondary

Do you have any additional information that hasn't been covered?
Remaining:4000

I have a question: The website said "Individual Faculty letters (recommended) 1-Biology, 1-Chemistry, 1-Physics, 1-Humanities". It doesn't matter if I don't have a physics letter, right? o_O

+1

Also how bad would it be to leave the "Additional info" question blank lol

Everyone disagrees on this, but I think it's not a trick, they just have to leave some optional space for people who truly have something important that just doesn't fit in anywhere on the primary application. Especially the way that this question is phrased, I'm pretty comfortable leaving it blank.

There are other optional essays that I feel like hint more strongly at wanting an answer. I.e. if the question lists lots of vague categories for things that would be appropriate to discuss, then I might be more inclined to answer.

I was thinking of adding the diversity essay but have no clue if that's something people do or unnecessary??

As someone currently taking a gap year I was thinking of just informing them on my current and planned activities for the 2019-2020 cycle.

I have a question: The website said "Individual Faculty letters (recommended) 1-Biology, 1-Chemistry, 1-Physics, 1-Humanities". It doesn't matter if I don't have a physics letter, right? o_O
Lmao if they take that recommendation very seriously I’m screwed. What a waste of a school if that’s the case. I don’t have a physics or a humanities, but I have a bio chem? Double count maybe !? Lol

Lmao if they take that recommendation very seriously I’m screwed. What a waste of a school if that’s the case. I don’t have a physics or a humanities, but I have a bio chem? Double count maybe !? Lol

They really don't. I don't have a chem, phys, or humanities letter and they said it's fine.

Got my very first secondary from here! I <3 you Sidney Kimmel!

As someone currently taking a gap year I was thinking of just informing them on my current and planned activities for the 2019-2020 cycle.

Let's say I am on my second gap year, should I inform them of the same activities that I already have established on my primary application?

Let's say I am on my second gap year, should I inform them of the same activities that I already have established on my primary application?

I don't think so. I think the point of the question is to let them know what you're doing with this current year. If it's already on your primary application I would assume they have seen it and don't need to be told again.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm sending a committee letter (not letter packet) plus a few non-academic letters. For the LOR question, should I check off "Health Professions Committee letters from College/University" AND "Individual Faculty letters (recommended) 1-Biology, 1-Chemistry, 1-Physics, 1-Humanities" even though the extra letters are not those specific ones? Or just check the committee letter box?

Edit: I'm leaning towards just checking the committee letter box since that's what is filling the LOR requirement, whereas the others are just supplemental

Secondary received! I wish every school only had one essay on their secondary . Submitted today!

It says that they are still waiting for my MCAT scores and letters even though both showed up on AMCAS weeks ago. Should I be worried?

How much emphasis do you guys think they're going to put on the ACT scores? I have really average ACT scores because I did not care about anything at that time lol.

Hoping it wouldn't be too detrimental

So I submitted the secondary but it shows "Letters of references not received" under the application status. My AMCAS application shows that the committee letter was received in late May so I'm confused if the letters have just not been forwarded by AMCAS or is it just a lag in the system?

How much emphasis do you guys think they're going to put on the ACT scores? I have really average ACT scores because I did not care about anything at that time lol.

Hoping it wouldn't be too detrimental

I can't imagine that the SAT/ACT scores matter much at all

So I submitted the secondary but it shows "Letters of references not received" under the application status. My AMCAS application shows that the committee letter was received in late May so I'm confused if the letters have just not been forwarded by AMCAS or is it just a lag in the system?
+1. I'm pretty sure they probably just haven't been forwarded by AMCAS yet!

If I took the ACT more than once can I use my highest English score and my highest math score even if they are from different tests? My college didn't superscore so do I have to just use the one test I submitted for college?

If I took the ACT more than once can I use my highest English score and my highest math score even if they are from different tests? My college didn't superscore so do I have to just use the one test I submitted for college?
Or side note, my college DID superscore my SAT so should I put that.

I can't imagine that the SAT/ACT scores matter much at all

Probably more for their own informational purposes for analyzing students after the fact, right? (Comparing SAT & MCAT scores, SAT & Step1/2 scores, med school performance etc?)