2019-2020 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students here who can share where most MCOM students live in relation to the new med school building? Would appreciate any housing recommendations since I’m unfamiliar with the Tampa area.

Students are kind of everywhere since M1s spent the first half of the year near the main (old) campus. I know a lot of people though are planning to move closer to the building. A decent amount of students live in the Channelside area (Bell, Slade, Pierhouse-to name some of the more popular and less expensive ones) where you can just walk to school. Other walkable apartments: some apartments on Harbour Island near the Convention Center and really anything else in Channelside. There's also students who live in Hyde Park and South Howard area (SOHO). Less feasible to walk, but can bike! A few people live in Ybor because you can take the Trolley (free) which stops right outside the building--about a 10-15minute ride. And there are some commuters from farther away (St. Pete, Brandon, etc). Basically it depends on your budget and if you'd prefer to walk or drive (though not sure how much parking passes will be for the upcoming year). Feel free to message me for any more recommendations!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they accept letters of interest or just letters of intent?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would expect movement to begin in 2 weeks, I think USF gives people 2 weeks to either commit to enroll or drop their A.

I would expect movement to begin in 2 weeks, I think USF gives people 2 weeks to either commit to enroll or drop their A.

yeah it’s kinda weird tho especially since the last few years there was mass movement April 30 and May 1-9

May be they have filled their class

I highly, highly doubt it, they’re still fishing for high stats/URMs. @jxa said the group isn’t filled with students yet and the people who were just given an acceptance off the waitlist declined it. So I think in the coming days/weeks we should hear back. It wouldn’t make any sense at all if they’re done. They waitlist literally half of their applicants post II. There should be a wave of acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
I highly, highly doubt it, they’re still fishing for high stats/URMs. @jxa said the group isn’t filled with students yet and the people who were just given an acceptance off the waitlist declined it. So I think in the coming days/weeks we should hear back. It wouldn’t make any sense at all if they’re done. They waitlist literally half of their applicants post II. There should be a wave of acceptances.

Love the positivity. I also came across some data that's pretty interesting. I think the source is either 2019 data from MSAR or US News.

Apps (IS)​
II (IS)​
Accepted (IS)​
Enrolled (IS)Post-II% (IS)Apps (OOS)II (OOS)
Accepted (OOS)​
Enrolled (OOS)​
Post-II%(OOS)​
2432​
382​
245​
118​
64.14​
3079​
245​
168​
64​
68.57​

Because of the discrepancy between the number of Accepted and Enrolled students, it seems that USF should see a good amount of movement on the waitlist. However, the change in traffic rules may have an effect on these trends, but I feel like there's definitely still hope!

Reactions: 4 users
Love the positivity. I also came across some data that's pretty interesting. I think the source is either 2019 data from MSAR or US News.

Apps (IS)​
II (IS)​
Accepted (IS)​
Enrolled (IS)Post-II% (IS)Apps (OOS)II (OOS)
Accepted (OOS)​
Enrolled (OOS)​
Post-II%(OOS)​
2432​
382​
245​
118​
64.14​
3079​
245​
168​
64​
68.57​

Because of the discrepancy between the number of Accepted and Enrolled students, it seems that USF should see a good amount of movement on the waitlist. However, the change in traffic rules may have an effect on these trends, but I feel like there's definitely still hope!
I really appreciate both your detective work and your positivity. Thank you for sharing

Thank you guys so much for that info. Did anyone email them to ask if/when there’ll be WL movement? I tried calling and no one picked up

Members don't see this ad :)
(To the tune of Britney Spears's Hit Me Baby One More Time)
This silence is killing me (aaand IIIIIiiiiii)
I must confess, I still believe (still belIEVE)
When I don't hear from you I lose my mind
Give me a sIIIIIIIIIIIiign
Call us, MCOM, one more time

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

lol whoosh *voice message to Dr Daniel sent*

• Haha
brilliant! And it gave me the laugh I really needed. thank you!

No problem! SELECT; I interviewed 2/24.... when i got the call i was told top of the WL and that there were spacing issues? not sure what happened exactly .. good luck!
Anyone know what they could be referring to in terms of “spacing issues?”

I mean if they accepted too many people, they wouldn't be taking anyone off the waitlist. At the same time, it's impossible to imagine a medical school actually thinking they are going to fall short of a full class. Maybe something to do with Corona, and classroom limits? I don't know.

maybe in terms that they can’t meet in the building to discuss with the admissions team Bc of “spacing issues” . So maybe that’s why he is calling from his cell phone and could be the reason why everything is so slow.

Reactions: 1 users
the class page gained 28 members in the "past week" so either there has been some wl movement or thats just the people that joined after hitting CTE on April 30th. & yea im neurotic

• Haha
"We cannot disclose your position on the waitlist to you or anyone else requesting this information, as the waitlist is not ranked. "

I feel like this statement is only halfway true based on what I've seen here and at other schools that also state they have an unranked waitlist. I'm guessing it is ranked, but in a more complex way such as by OOS or IS, non-trad or trad, URMs, or whatever metric they want to use. Therefore they can replace people that declined with ones that are similar.

So if any non-trad IS people want to decline their acceptance that'd be cool ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Got off the waitlist for SELECT about an hour ago! I am so excited!!!

OOS, non-trad interviewed 2/3 at Allentown
waitlisted 3/12 via mail
sent LOI on 3/30 (confirmation received on 4/10)

Wishing the best of luck to all of you!!! and thank you all because the positivity in this thread really helped me stay sane throughout this whole process.

Reactions: 8 users
Got off the waitlist for SELECT about an hour ago! I am so excited!!!

OOS, non-trad interviewed 2/3 at Allentown
waitlisted 3/12 via mail
sent LOI on 3/30 (confirmation received on 4/10)

Wishing the best of luck to all of you!!! and thank you all because the positivity in this thread really helped me stay sane throughout this whole process.
WOOO congrats!! :banana:

Finally some WL movement!! Hopefully COREs get some calls today!

Reactions: 8 users
Based on what’s been posted on here, it seems like there’s been more SELECT movement than CORE movement

Hey guys! Woke up today feeling really... sad? let down? I felt like yesterday was the day we'd finally hear about some CORE waitlist movement. Does anybody have any insight on if they're just really delayed, if waitlist movement isn't going to really happen this year, or if people have been getting off the waitlist and it just hasn't been any of us? Having any kind of information, even if it's the news I don't want to hear, helps me cope.

Hey guys! Woke up today feeling really... sad? let down? I felt like yesterday was the day we'd finally hear about some CORE waitlist movement. Does anybody have any insight on if they're just really delayed, if waitlist movement isn't going to really happen this year, or if people have been getting off the waitlist and it just hasn't been any of us? Having any kind of information, even if it's the news I don't want to hear, helps me cope.

I’ve found out that in the FB group of 203, there is about 45 current students. And about 15-20 new students were added on Monday. I am not sure what is really going on or if waitlist movement is decreasing now. Maybe they’ve calling people that don’t have SDN

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve found out that in the FB group of 203, there is about 45 current students. And about 15-20 new students were added on Monday. I am not sure what is really going on or if waitlist movement is decreasing now. Maybe they’ve calling people that don’t have SDN
Thank you for this information. I remember checking the Facebook group about two weeks ago and it was sitting at around 180 total members and it’s only increased by 20ish people in that two week time span. If waitlist movement was already done, I feel like there would be a lot more people in the group already, especially because we passed that “magical” PTE date. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but I think there’s an overall lag in waitlist movement because of covid and it’s taking admissions committees longer than usual to decide/send out acceptances. Has anyone been able to get any information straight from USF?

I wish they would tell us our waitlist spot, Id rather have my feelings hurt and be told I’m at the bottom than have false hope. It makes it easiear for all of us to plan what our future will be. Other schools have told me my position and I’ve been able to plan around it. Now I’m holding an acceptance and have no clue With usf

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if the school ever commented on opening school in-person or going online for this upcoming semester?

Oops, I did it again
I checked SDN
Got lost in the threads
Oh baby, baby
Oops, you think that I'm sane?
That I could abstaaaAAAaaaiin
I'm not. that. sensible.

• Haha
Actually surprised that there was no movement today. Dafuq??????

1589296962412.png

It seems strange that we wouldn’t hear even a single waitlist core movement on this thread. I know it’s a small sample but most schools have a large amount of waitlist movement on SDN.

• Sad
It seems strange that we wouldn’t hear even a single waitlist core movement on this thread. I know it’s a small sample but most schools have a large amount of waitlist movement on SDN.

Yep and sadly the 19 new members to the group are all incoming students too

Yep and sadly the 19 new members to the group are all incoming students too
Wouldn’t lose hope yet! Some of those people may still be deciding where to commit (a new member posted in the page saying exactly this and needed insight)

And there’s definitely a minimum of 50+ current students in the group

• Love
Reactions: 5 users