2019-2020 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Southern Illinois University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what they look for when choosing applicants for secondaries?

Anyone else receive anything last week?

II Today!
Received Secondary 7/22
Submitted 7/25

Reactions: 1 user
So I ended up not getting a secondary at this time... seems like a soft reject email. Does anyone think I could reach out to admissions about this? My stats are decent (LM 69) and I do have strong ties to central/southern IL, just wasn’t able to include that in my primary :/

No secondary for me - I'm going to treat it like a rejection. Trying to tell myself that if they don't think I'm the best fit for their program, then I probably wouldn't have felt like it was a great fit for me anyway. Hope you all get better news!

Members don't see this ad :)
AWPA today! Interviewed in earlier September, completed 7/26 and II 8/2

AWPA back in March, didnt get in. I interviewed again in September with a drastically improved application, got prospective re-applicant today. Makes no sense, this process is a crap shoot.

AWPA on Friday!! Interviewed mid September.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone heard anything about offical acceptances yet? It appears last year that began trickling out around now before the first big wave in November.

I was wondering the same thing.

A friend of mine called, and I think the first wave of acceptances might be coming out this week or next week before Thanksgiving on Thursday.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how many applicants SIU places on the AWPA list? I saw in past threads that they send out 120-140 acceptances depending on the cycle, and the class size is only 72. Guessing at least 160-ish are put on AWPA? Would not think more than 200 though

Does anyone know how many applicants SIU places on the AWPA list? I saw in past threads that they send out 120-140 acceptances depending on the cycle, and the class size is only 72. Guessing at least 160-ish are put on AWPA? Would not think more than 200 though

I believe I was told that about 175 get on the AWPA usually.

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine called, and I think the first wave of acceptances might be coming out this week or next week before Thanksgiving on Thursday.

Update on this: The first batch should be going out tomorrow or Wednesday. I was just told from Beth that she thinks this will be the case.

Reactions: 5 users
It looks like the first batch is out today.

Does anyone know how many acceptances were sent out last week? I know in the past they broke the first batch into halves-half went out before thanksgiving and the other went out before Christmas. Wasn’t sure if that was the same this year or not.

I Interviewed December 2nd. Still waiting to hear back.

Good luck to everyone going through the process right now!! I am a current M1 at SIU School of Medicine and thought I'd take a quick study break to peek on this page. I interviewed in September 2018, and was not accepted until March 2019 so if you're still waiting, there is plenty of hope! I remember how stressful the process is, but try your best to sit back and relax and know that everything is out of your hands at this point. If anyone has any questions about the process, life in Carbondale, adjusting to medical school, etc. don't hesitate to shoot me a message. Best of luck!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I had my interview here on Jan 16th and they said they are meeting Feb 11 for the last batch of acceptances and they should be mailed a few days after

I had my interview here on Jan 16th and they said they are meeting Feb 11 for the last batch of acceptances and they should be mailed a few days after
Woah that seems early for the last batch I wonder what changed. At my interview (a few months ago) they said acceptances were going out end of November, end of January, early March, but on my AWPA letter they said December, early February, March so who even knows at this point lol.

Woah that seems early for the last batch I wonder what changed. At my interview (a few months ago) they said acceptances were going out end of November, end of January, early March, but on my AWPA letter they said December, early February, March so who even knows at this point lol.
They told me that my interview day would be the last day to make the cutoff for the Feb 11 decision. They said they will continue to send out AWPA and acceptances till June-ish as spots are made available.

Congrats to everyone with A's already! Any idea when the next batch might come out?

Good luck to everyone going through the process right now!! I am a current M1 at SIU School of Medicine and thought I'd take a quick study break to peek on this page. I interviewed in September 2018, and was not accepted until March 2019 so if you're still waiting, there is plenty of hope! I remember how stressful the process is, but try your best to sit back and relax and know that everything is out of your hands at this point. If anyone has any questions about the process, life in Carbondale, adjusting to medical school, etc. don't hesitate to shoot me a message. Best of luck!!!

Would love to DM you some questions if you have the time! (your profile doesn't allow DMs)

I believe at my interview they said mid-February!
Would they still send A's in mid-February if they already did a late January batch? I really hope so bc I'm starting to get nervous and hope to not wait until April 30 or later!

Would they still send A's in mid-February if they already did a late January batch? I really hope so bc I'm starting to get nervous and hope to not wait until April 30 or later!
Yeah, I interviewed mid-January and they said there would be another batch of letters going out mid-Feb!

Do they ever offer acceptances in the batch letters or are they strictly AWPA at best.