2019-2020 Texas Tech, Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Texas Tech University - Lubbock

Members don't see this ad.

Below are the secondary questions for 19-20. @PapaGuava @Matthew9Thirtyfive
1. Select your area(s) of interest (please check all that apply). For each selected area, please list related activities; completed, current or planned. There is a 100 word limit for each selected area:​

• Practicing in an underserved area
    • Rural health
    • Medical Research
    • Medical Academics
    • Primary Care
    • Border Health
    • Other (please describe below)
1. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)​
1.1 If yes, please explain your circumstance. (300 words or less)​
2. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown? (300 words or less)​
3. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (Where, what type of practice - clinic, hospital, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.). (300 words or less)​
4. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (350 words or less)​
5. Have you experienced any hardship or adversity; personally or professionally?​
5.1 If yes, please share your experience with us.​
6. Are you applying to FMAT?​
6.1 What is your marital status?​
6.2. What town and state(s) have you lived in to age 18?:​
6.3. What motivates you to participate in the FMAT program? (300 words or less)​
6.4. What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program? (300 words or less)​
6.5. What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties? (300 words or less)​
7. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities. (300 words or less)​
8. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?​
8.1 If yes, what town or county did you reside in, or what other factors would you cite? (100 words or less)​
9. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?​
9.1. If yes, what was the name of the program and where was this program hosted (sponsoring school)? (200 words or less)​

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am having a problem submitting their secondary. The hardship essay won't save and I can't complete it. Does anyone else have this problem?

Edit:
This is a known problem and they are working on it.

Edit 2: Fixed. Thanks Mr. Luis Perez with TTUHSC IT. You're a boss.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody! Just dropping in to say good luck to everyone applying. I'm a (soon to be) MS4 here, so if you have any questions about the school or Lubbock, feel free to ask. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Transmitted 5/23 but still haven’t received a secondary. Only TMDSAS school that hasn’t sent me a secondary yet.

Transmitted 5/23 but still haven’t received a secondary. Only TMDSAS school that hasn’t sent me a secondary yet.
@LizardBoy TTU is one of the schools that says they send out secondaries "by invitation" so not everyone will get one. For TTU it's not just your stats but whether you fit their mission/goals. Keep the prose flowing on those other Texas schools while you wait ;)

Transmitted 5/23, secondary received 5/24, secondary submitted 5/30.

@LizardBoy TTU is one of the schools that says they send out secondaries "by invitation" so not everyone will get one. For TTU it's not just your stats but whether you fit their mission/goals. Keep the prose flowing on those other Texas schools while you wait ;)
I thought they were one of the schools that sent it to all applicants

This year’s MSAR indicates by invitation. Now I don’t know what their screen criteria are, could be a stats bar or could be mission related.

I actually just looked it up on MSAR. It states that the secondary is submitted by invitation but that it is sent to “all applicants applying to TTUHSC of Medicine-Lubbock.” So anyone who applies should receive a secondary.

Hey guys, are we required to complete the CASPR before submission?

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Of the activities listed in your primary application, identify 3 that you consider to be the most meaningful in your pursuit of a medical career and explain why. (300 words or less)
I tried calling them now, but no reply.... does this mean 300 words for all 3 activities or 300 per activity?

2. Of the activities listed in your primary application, identify 3 that you consider to be the most meaningful in your pursuit of a medical career and explain why. (300 words or less)

This question never appeared in my secondary? Is this true for anyone else?

This is on TMDSAS. Why would a school ask the same question?

They do give you lot more space though.

My secondary also does not have the most meaningful question. Looking at last year's thread, it seems like it was a secondary question before, but I am thinking they took it off this year when TMDSAS incorporated the most meaningful experiences part to the primary app.

Has anyone started getting interview invites from this school?

Has anyone started getting interview invites from this school?

It is still exceptionally early in the cycle. At this point, schools are likely just beginning their application review process (and that's if they are starting early). It will likely be another month or two before II's start going out to applicants.

Is the secondary portal down for anyone else?

It's been down for me the past couple days, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with my browser. I might try e-mailing them today.

I logged onto it a couple days ago and the site indicated that they were going to do maintenance on the evening of the 10th. Might be that they're not finished yet?

I logged onto it a couple days ago and the site indicated that they were going to do maintenance on the evening of the 10th. Might be that they're not finished yet?
It's back up now, so that was probably it!

I'm having the same "Failed to obtain a ticket from Touchnet. " problem here when I try to pay the fee.

Their portal has been really finicky so far.

I'm also encountering the "Failed to obtain a ticket from Touchnet" issue. Has anyone tried contacting them about it?

Seeking advice re; the hardship/adversity question. In my primary, I touched & expanded upon my family's financial difficulties (being on gov't aid, food stamps, uninsured, etc.) I don't want to be redundant in answering the hardship prompt but I'm hesitant to leave it blank because I have experienced hardship. Suggestions appreciated!

Still not able to submit the secondary, has anyone had any luck?

From the "Welcome" Page-

Thank you to everyone who alerted us to the problem with the payment system. Our personnel have identified the root cause and are working toward a resolution. To be notified as soon as the problem is resolved, please send an email to [email protected] and type, "Payment Resolution Notification" in the subject line. We will email the address you used to request the notification once the payment error has been resolved.

Cheers

So because the payment page is down, does this mean no one has been able to submit a secondary app yet?

So because the payment page is down, does this mean no one has been able to submit a secondary app yet?
No one has been able to submit a secondary since around June 10th. That is when the website began having issues.

No one has been able to submit a secondary since around June 10th. That is when the website began having issues.
So basically if they were to fix it today and we submit immediately, it would be like we submitted June 10 (as far as where your application is in the queue). Unless you don't pay right away. Then people who finished their secondaries after you may actually submit before you. This is a messy situation. Hopefully the site doesn't immediately crash after they fix it due to high volumes of submissions.

I was able to pay the fee and submit the application 5 minutes ago. The app shows that I am complete on June 19th.

So basically if they were to fix it today and we submit immediately, it would be like we submitted June 10 (as far as where your application is in the queue). Unless you don't pay right away. Then people who finished their secondaries after you may actually submit before you. This is a messy situation. Hopefully the site doesn't immediately crash after they fix it due to high volumes of submissions.
Pay it and submit now. The website is working. It may crash after they send out an email regarding the fix.

Hey everybody! Just dropping in to say good luck to everyone applying. I'm a (soon to be) MS4 here, so if you have any questions about the school or Lubbock, feel free to ask. Best of luck!

Hi! My question is regarding the first question on the secondary. It says
1. Select your area(s) of interest (please check all that apply). For each selected area, please list related activities; completed, current or planned. There is a 100 word limit for each selected area:

• Rural health
    • Medical Research
    • Medical Academics
    • Primary Care
    • Border Health

i was wondering if there is any disadvantage about NOT checking off each of them in your opinion. I am fine with any of those but I was thinking about just writing about the ones most important to me not all of them. But now I'm struggling to decide whether omitting say rural health or border health would be a detriment or if i was to check all of them it would come off as trying too hard to write what they want to hear lol

Hi! My question is regarding the first question on the secondary. It says
1. Select your area(s) of interest (please check all that apply). For each selected area, please list related activities; completed, current or planned. There is a 100 word limit for each selected area:

• Rural health
    • Medical Research
    • Medical Academics
    • Primary Care
    • Border Health

i was wondering if there is any disadvantage about NOT checking off each of them in your opinion. I am fine with any of those but I was thinking about just writing about the ones most important to me not all of them. But now I'm struggling to decide whether omitting say rural health or border health would be a detriment or if i was to check all of them it would come off as trying too hard to write what they want to hear lol
If you haven't participated in an activity that directly relates to the area (nor plan to), I probably wouldn't force it

Reactions: 3 users
I am trying to submit my application but the payment isn't working again. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

I am trying to submit my application but the payment isn't working again. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?
Mine processed a few days ago. Are you getting the message failed to obtain ticket from Touchnet?

Mine processed a few days ago. Are you getting the message failed to obtain ticket from Touchnet?

No. I will enter all my payment information in and click continue and it will just take me back to the secondary "application fee" page.

That is different than the problem we were experiencing. I would logout and then go back in and try again. If that doesn’t work, send them an email.

That is different than the problem we were experiencing. I would logout and then go back in and try again. If that doesn’t work, send them an email.

I tried that but it didn't help. I will try contacting them. Thanks!

How serious should the hardship be to answer yes to their adversity question? Is it a place to talk about any challenge or is it reserved to talk about true hardship?

Does Lubbock need CASPer results to get a interview invite? I think El Paso does but I am not sure about Lubbock. Thanks!!
TTUHSC Lubbock seems to stress taking the CASPer pretty heavily on their admissions page, so I think it's a good idea to take it when you can, this summer if possible.
5 of the TMDSAS schools now use CASPer as part of their application process: both Texas Techs, UTMB, LongSOM, and Texas A&M.
You take the test only once, then choose the schools you will have results sent to, from the CASPer site.

Reactions: 2 users
I could have sworn that there was only an option to add Texas Tech HSC. After checking now, there is also an option for Texas Tech El Paso. Was this there the whole time or was the El Paso school recently added?
It's been there, pretty sure

Reactions: 2 users