2019-2020 Texas Tech, Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you think they are looking for with the hometown question? I live in the suburbs so

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! My question is regarding the first question on the secondary. It says
1. Select your area(s) of interest (please check all that apply). For each selected area, please list related activities; completed, current or planned. There is a 100 word limit for each selected area:

• Practicing in an underserved area
    • Rural health
    • Medical Research
    • Medical Academics
    • Primary Care
    • Border Health
    • Other (please describe below)

i was wondering if there is any disadvantage about NOT checking off each of them in your opinion. I am fine with any of those but I was thinking about just writing about the ones most important to me not all of them. But now I'm struggling to decide whether omitting say rural health or border health would be a detriment or if i was to check all of them it would come off as trying too hard to write what they want to hear lol
I mean, I'd say if you're actually interested in each one of them, and can discuss why you're interested while citing activities, go for it. I do think it might come off a bit "try-hardy" though; if it was me, I'd probably drop my least favorite. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
What do you think they are looking for with the hometown question? I live in the suburbs so
Give some specific things in either category, or both. If everything is a "I hate this or I dislike this" it could say something about your general outlook, I suppose. But don't be too chirpy or bland either. Be yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite!
woo hoo! Texas Tech has been traditionally the first school to start sending interview invitations. Last year they sent one as early as 6/8, but maybe technical website issues pushed them back a bit this year.

Reactions: 2 users
II - 3.5 sgpa, 520 MCAT, URM, nontrad, Went to TTUHSC for PA school.

Excited!

Time for the neuroticism of “did I get passed up?” to begin

Reactions: 7 users
II - 3.5 sgpa, 520 MCAT, URM, nontrad, Went to TTUHSC for PA school.

Excited!
wow this is strangely similar to me....except i still have not started secondaries haha

did you finish PA school or leave midway?

and congrats!!!

wow this is strangely similar to me....except i still have not started secondaries haha

did you finish PA school or leave midway?

and congrats!!!

Thanks man. I finished and have been in practice for 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you submit? and when were you completed by?

Submitted secondary on 6/1 with only 3 out of 4 rec letters in. However, was considered complete according to the portal.

Everything totally in on 6/20 when my last LOR was processed.

Submitted secondary on 6/1 with only 3 out of 4 rec letters in. However, was considered complete according to the portal.

Everything totally in on 6/20 when my last LOR was processed.

Thanks. I am listed as complete on their portal as of 6/19 but I'm still waiting on one more LOR, so I'm not sure if that affects whether I can get an II or not.

I was totally complete 6/1 and seeing as others were complete later I guess tech chucked mine in the trash lol

Reactions: 1 users
The schools prioritize their interviews based on their ratings of the candidates. If they rate someone 7 or 8 on a scale of 10, they will invite 10s before 8s.

Does Lubbock need CASPer results to get a interview invite? I think El Paso does but I am not sure about Lubbock. Thanks!!
No. You need Casper to get admitted, not to get an interview.

For question 1, do we only list the activities we did just as suggested by the prompt or do we have to expand on the descriptions and reflections just as we did with the primary app?
And also, do Food Bank and Harvey-affected home repairing count as "working in an underserved"?

For question 1, if i am interested in one of the listed areas of medicine but have not done any activities related to it, could i check it off and just say that i do not have any experience in this area (worded a bit more eloquently of course)? Would this be frowned upon?

For question 1, if i am interested in one of the listed areas of medicine but have not done any activities related to it, could i check it off and just say that i do not have any experience in this area (worded a bit more eloquently of course)? Would this be frowned upon?

That's what I did

Should I be worried if I haven't gotten an email for the secondary application yet? Application was transmitted to them a few weeks ago...

I am a little confused by the "Areas of Interest" section. It asks for specific activities, but I have very few activities directly related to any of the areas listed, and even then only tangentially (listing hospital volunteerinng for public health or shadowing for primary care doesn't seem compelling). Also, what activities would be associated with "Medical Academics"?

I don't think they're expecting any totally directly related activities, especially if you're traditional. For primary care, I also put shadowing and I think that's a pretty good activity for it tbh. In terms of public health, what was it about hospital volunteering related to public health? It's probably more so how you word it. I actually just mentioned a few classes I had taken related to public health. Medical academics could be something along the lines of research/TAing/teaching that you did.

Should I be worried if I haven't gotten an email for the secondary application yet? Application was transmitted to them a few weeks ago...
Did you submit your application a few weeks ago or did it transmit? Mine transmitted June 12th and received secondary June 13th.

Did you submit your application a few weeks ago or did it transmit? Mine transmitted June 12th and received secondary June 13th.
I submitted a few weeks ago and it transmitted over a week ago, but still nothing from multiple schools

I submitted a few weeks ago and it transmitted over a week ago, but still nothing from multiple schools

I’m dealing with the same thing. Transmitted over a week ago but so far I’ve only gotten a secondary from McGovern and nothing else

I’m dealing with the same thing. Transmitted over a week ago but so far I’ve only gotten a secondary from McGovern and nothing else
I've got one from Tech El Paso, Southwestern, and Rio Grande but that's it. Should we be contacting the schools to ask for them or just keep waiting for them?

I've got one from Tech El Paso, Southwestern, and Rio Grande but that's it. Should we be contacting the schools to ask for them or just keep waiting for them?

You have to go to A&M site and register yourself. Dell issues secondaries selectively. UTMB and San Antonio have no secondaries.

All others including Lubbock should send you one if they have an app.

@cab22
1. There are no secondaries for Long SOM (San Antonio) or UTMB.
2. There is no screen for the secondaries at McGovern, Texas A&M, UTSW on TMDSAS or for Baylor (AMCAS). You can find them, set up account portal if requested, pay and submit. They won't send you a link or invitation. Edited to say that this year apparently McGovern and UTSW are sending you emails with links to the secondary, and Baylor is sending a reminder to find the secondary.
3. These schools will send you a link (email) : Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech Paul Foster
4. These schools screen your application and invite some but not all who submit a primary: Dell, UTRGV, and TCU/UNTHSC (AMCAS)

Hope that helps! It's up to you to research and keep track of this stuff. Make yourself a chart, spreadsheet, whatever you like and keep track.
Wysdoc

Last edited:
@cab22
1. There are no secondaries for Long SOM (San Antonio) or UTMB.
2. There is no screen for the secondaries at McGovern, Texas A&M, UTSW on TMDSAS or for Baylor (AMCAS). You can find them, set up account portal if requested, pay and submit. They won't send you a link or invitation.
3. These schools will send you a link (email) : Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech Paul Foster
4. These schools screen your application and invite some but not all who submit a primary: Dell, UTRGV, and TCU/UNTHSC (AMCAS)

Hope that helps! It's up to you to research and keep track of this stuff. Make yourself a chart, spreadsheet, whatever you like and keep track.
Wysdoc

I got a link/invitation from UTSW and McGovern. Baylor also sends a reminder to find the application online.

McGovern and UTSW do send links. If one can go and find them that works too.

Does Lubbock need CASPer results to get a interview invite? I think El Paso does but I am not sure about Lubbock. Thanks!!
late reply, but casper is not needed for an interview invite. the interview email says to take the test by Nov 19

late reply, but casper is not needed for an interview invite. the interview email says to take the test by Nov 19
Do they provide confirmation when they received your CASPer? My CASPer account says it's been sent since early last month.

I took my Casper in the first week of June, and all the schools, except TTU Lubbock, have confirmed that they received my Casper results. I checked with TTU Lubbock today and they still haven't received it. Is it normal to take this long for them to receive the result?

I took my Casper in the first week of June, and all the schools, except TTU Lubbock, have confirmed that they received my Casper results. I checked with TTU Lubbock today and they still haven't received it. Is it normal to take this long for them to receive the result?
Did schools like UTMB send you an email confirming CASPer?

In regards to their academic road bumps question, would one semester of a 2.83 GPA (got a C- in a 4 hour class, Calc 2) be considered a "road bump in my academic career" that I need to write about? My overall GPA is 3.66 and sGPA is 3.68.

Last edited:
In regards to their academic road bumps question, would one semester of a 2.83 GPA (got a C- in a 4 hour class, Calc 2) be considered a "road bump in my academic career" that I need to write about? My overall GPA is 3.66 and sGPA is 3.68.
I got a C in calc as well, and I wrote about that.

Does anyone know what exactly they're looking for in the hometown essay and the ideal practice essay?

How are people addressing the road bumps question?
I did poorly my freshman year but had an upward trend. Should I state why I did poorly in my freshman year (moving out of state, poor study habits, and passing of loved one mid-semester)?

just got an interview invite! primary transmitted 6/28, submitted secondary 7/10