2019-2020 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who do I address a LOI to?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else going to second look day next month? Would love to meet some future classmates :)

Has anyone, who is currently finishing up the prerec course work (and/or post-bac course work), received an acceptance on the provisional basis of successful completion of required courses?

I am finishing the last two courses this semester and interviewed a little over two weeks ago (02/10). Hoping to get some insight or find others in a similar situation. Feel free to respond to this post or pm me.

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone switched locations after receiving an interview invite but before interview?

So my application process is pretty unique, but I'm currently on the waitlist, and I need to get off asap. I'm currently not a NY resident so if I do attend, I'll need to move to NY. I'm a single parent so I'll be moving with my kid, and need to get her enrolled in school. The schools nearby that I sent applications to (in faith) get back to me April 1st, and I need to give them an answer to whether or not my kid will be attending by mid April, if not we lose our slot. Waiting till end of May to answer them significantly reduces my kid's chances of getting in. Is there a way, or someone, I can explain this too without sounding like a total douche? Like I would really be fine with a yes or a no, but obviously I'll prefer to get in. And I would also like my kid to go to a good school and not just some random last minute school. Any advice would be great.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I found the admissions office to be receptive to requests. Is this waitlist post-II? Email them and explain the situation. Don't tell them to inform you now. Ask if they could tell you about the usual timeline to hear back from the school.

I found the admissions office to be receptive to requests. Is this waitlist post-II? Email them and explain the situation. Don't tell them to inform you now. Ask if they could tell you about the usual timeline to hear back from the school.
I did call them, and the lady said they absolutely don't look at the waitlist till after May 15th, and I know this to be untrue cuz a couple of people on here have gotten off recently. But I mean I wasn't argue with her.
And yes, it is a post interview waitlist

Is it normally right at four weeks as the earliest to hear back from them post-interview? they said 4-6 weeks at the interview and was hoping that sometimes its sooner :unsure:

Is it normally right at four weeks as the earliest to hear back from them post-interview? they said 4-6 weeks at the interview and was hoping that sometimes its sooner :unsure:
I heard back yesterday which was 4 weeks exactly for me. (Interviewed 2/5)

Hey y'all, I will be visiting campus for an upcoming interview from out of state and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for places to stay and any other general tips. Thank you in advance!

I graduated from here 2 years ago, currently an IM resident. Feel free to reach out if you have any general questions about the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what would be the tuition for 2020-2021? What is the cost of living in NY? Where do students usually live? Are the classes mandatory? What are the rotation sites?

Reactions: 1 user
@dorster I got a few questions about your experience when attending Touro:

- Would you recommend living close to school or how common is it for people to live in Brooklyn or Queens and commute to school?
- Do most students move outside of the city for clinical rotations in 3rd year?
- What is your view on the flipped classroom model? Is it difficult to watch lectures at home and then still have to attend classes?
- What has been your experience with the school administration?
- Any general advice/suggestion for an incoming student?

Thank you so so much!

Reactions: 1 users
@dorster I got a few questions about your experience when attending Touro:

- Would you recommend living close to school or how common is it for people to live in Brooklyn or Queens and commute to school?
- What is your view on the flipped classroom model? Is it difficult to watch lectures at home and then still have to attend classes?

Thank you so so much!

I would probably say the closer the better just because commuting far would mean less time spent on studying. That being said people lives all throughout Manhattan and the other boroughs including Brooklyn, queens, and NJ. They made it work and I guess were able to study on their train /bus commutes. I think the best locations though would be UWS and possibly Harlem if you can get it walking distance to the school and not in a terrible neighborhood. Most people I knew lived on the upper west side. Some friends lives further downtown like Lower east or Union square. Anything close to the 2 or 3 train which runs express from 59th st is really easy. Or if your UWS then anything near the 1,2,3 lines or A,B,C stops right near the school. Brooklyn would be a really long commute. Queens depending on where might be a little more doable, like Astoria area.

I think it was a mix. A lot of students stayed in the City, but moved locations to Brooklyn or downtown depending on which hospital they were placed. Lots of students moved to NJ my year because we rotated a lot at the NJ hospitals in Bergen County like Englewood and Palisades. Other students who rotated at Staten Island moved there or to Brooklyn which were easier commutes.

No I preferred it. You watched lectures on your own time and could speed them up 2x and if you got the topic could skip forward. If you had trouble understanding something you could watch it as many times or as slowly as you needed. You could also always rewatch a lecture prior to an exam. I think its way better. Class time was spent on practice questions and just solidifying knowledge. It gave you a chance to ask questions etc. I didn't have any issues with the flipped classroom. I think all med schools should use it. It was quite annoying that we got scored on how many questions you got correct in class, and that was kind of like your attendance/ a quiz grade for the class. They started just giving us credit for being in class regardless of whether you got the questions right. That was better. Im not sure how it is now since I graduated a couple years ago.

My experience was fine. Had no issues personally. I guess other people in the past have had issues. Especially with losing sites which all DO and even MD schools experience, it makes MS3 and MS4 a little frustrating. I got my first choice for 3rd year clerkship placement so I was fine, but I guess students that don't get their first choice would be more unhappy depending where they are placed.

Just make the most of medical school. Your job is to learn as much as you can to prepare you for residency. Don't care so much about your grades. That isn't so important in medical school, just try to absorb as much as you can and see the bigger picture. one day you won't care about that one exam you took, but you'll be taking care of real live patients and want to do the best you can for them. Also enjoy the freedom of medical school! Lots of hard work and studying but also lots of fun involved as well. Residency is much longer hours and you don't get to hang out and see your friends as much. In med school you'll make some of your greatest friends.

Reactions: 3 users
@dorster Hey, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. A few weeks ago @chrislin asked a few questions. I appreciate if you could answer those questions.

"1) How are the clinical rotation sites? Are there any large teaching hospitals? How can I determine whether the sites are good or not? I know the majority of the sites are situated quite far from Manhattan, and far from each other. Is it a lotto system? Do students do short-term rentals and move every couple months if one were to receive a Long Island site and then a New Jersey site? Does the school do anything to prevent situations like these from happening?

2) Are students encouraged to take the USMLE?

3) Is the school doing anything to address the below average COMLEX 2 scores? Is it possible that the COMLEX 2 score is a result of poor clinical rotation sites?

4) For OMS1/2, do you mind sharing a gist of your schedule? How does your day go? Do you feel like you spend more time studying/going over lectures due to the flipped classroom structure?

5) Is the area safe, going to the school early in the morning and leaving the school in the evening. The OSM1 students gave us mixed response; one outright laughed and said it wasn't safe knowing it was Harlem, while the other felt he never had any problems. Do you know of any things we should be wary of if we were to attend this school?"

Could you also inform us about the cost of living in NY? Why did you choose Touro if you don't mind me asking? Is the Harlem campus better than Middletown? I have an interview coming up at Harlem, but after seeing COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016, I feel like I should have chosen Middletown when submitting my secondary application. Once again, thank you for your time.

@dorster Hey, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. A few weeks ago @chrislin asked a few questions. I appreciate if you could answer those questions.

"1) How are the clinical rotation sites? Are there any large teaching hospitals? How can I determine whether the sites are good or not? I know the majority of the sites are situated quite far from Manhattan, and far from each other. Is it a lotto system? Do students do short-term rentals and move every couple months if one were to receive a Long Island site and then a New Jersey site? Does the school do anything to prevent situations like these from happening?

3) Is the school doing anything to address the below average COMLEX 2 scores? Is it possible that the COMLEX 2 score is a result of poor clinical rotation sites?

4) For OMS1/2, do you mind sharing a gist of your schedule? How does your day go? Do you feel like you spend more time studying/going over lectures due to the flipped classroom structure?

5) Is the area safe, going to the school early in the morning and leaving the school in the evening. The OSM1 students gave us mixed response; one outright laughed and said it wasn't safe knowing it was Harlem, while the other felt he never had any problems. Do you know of any things we should be wary of if we were to attend this school?"

Could you also inform us about the cost of living in NY? Why did you choose Touro if you don't mind me asking? Is the Harlem campus better than Middletown? I have an interview coming up at Harlem, but after seeing COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016, I feel like I should have chosen Middletown when submitting my secondary application. Once again, thank you for your time.

So all of my answers might not hold true for the current school situation as like I said I graduated a few years ago, but I can answer to my experience.

- So we do have a lottery system. You basically rank your preferences and the school does its best to allow students their first 1 or two choices on location and you also rank the choices based on the yearly schedule. So for example if you're really interested in surgery you might want your 3rd year surgery rotation later in the year so you can be familiar with how rotations work first. So you don't just rank the location you also rank by the schedule you want. I got my first choice and so did the majority of my friends. I know Touro Harlem has lost some rotation sites, as have other MD and DO schools. Theres always negotiations ongoing to secure new rotation spots and sometimes locations are lost as well. When I was there - major if students rotated in NJ at a consortium of hospitals- Englewood Hosp, Palisades, etc. Now I'm not sure as I think Seton Hall /Hackensack medical school may be taking over some of those sites. Lots of students rotated at Staten Island University Hospital. All of these hospitals have residency programs and fellowships. IDK if I would call them large academic centers, but they do give the experience of working with residents and fellows which is important. Students rotated also in Brooklyn at Brookdale and some in Long Island at Southhampton. Also Good Samaritan. As you can see none of these sites are in Manhattan so yes majority of students move during 3rd and 4th year. Usually, you stay at one site for the entire 3rd year so you don't have to worry about moving mid year. Sometimes you might need to commute further for one rotation (ex: OB/GYN was only done at palisades hospital in NJ even when students were assigned Staten Island for the rest of the rotations). Everything was within the Manhattan area though so the commute was doable.

-No. If anything the school stresses the importance of COMLEX. However, that being said our faculty teaches all the same topics as any other MD or DO school, so Its not like youre learning different material for the 2 exams. The exams are very similar in what subject matter is covered. Majority of students take both, but the school doesn't care whether you take USMLE or not. It just opens up your residency options to have both USMLE and COMLEX. Residencies that were historically MD only, will not know how to compare you with the COMLEX scores only so USMLE is important for that. Now that USMLE step 1 is pass / fail, you probably shouldn't take that. The only reason to take it was for the score comparison.

-They implemented more lectures during OMS3 for us to try to improve COMLEX 2 scores. They had more review sessions with Dr. Fischer as well. I do think it probably has to do with the clinical rotations. Its not so much that the clinical rotations are sub par compared to other schools its just that some of the rotation sites didn't have formal MS3 level lectures throughout the day, where thats done at other programs. That being said most of the board prep for Level 2 is self directed. You use UWORLD to study which is a question bank. Idk why the scores were lower, on level 2 compared to 1 but I think its also that level 1 was always more stressed as being the important factor for residency apps. People probably just slacked off on level 2 studying. Now that Step 1 is pass / fail you will probably see more test prep companies designed for step 2. Im sure those scores will improve.

- This seems so long ago to me now haha like a lifetime away (lol) so I think you should ask this of someone in the school now. For me year 1 was basic sciences mixed with lots of OMM. Year 2 was more clinical related courses. Your in classes all day Tues- Thurs. Monday was our exams day. There were exams almost every Monday in MS1 and MS2. Fridays we had off to study for the most part. We studied mostly all day Fri,Sat,Sun then exams on Monday. Flipped classroom, I think I already addressed in my post above. I liked the flipped classroom, and thought it improve the ability to absorb more info in a short amount of time.

- The area is fairly safe. I wouldn't walk around alone at night. We always left school in a group of people if it was dark out. I never felt unsafe, but there's always issues with safety in any big city. Harlem is getting much more expensive and also safer. Just don't be dumb like any big city. I wouldn't want to live in Harlem personally, but I know other students that did live close to the school. The east side of 125th st is less safe. If you do live in Harlem I would stick to the west side or close to the school. Upper West Side is convenient and close enough to the school, but also a bit safer. Its of course more expensive, you would need roommates or if you live in a studio expect to pay a lot of money (~2500+ a month).

Could you also inform us about the cost of living in NY?
-See above. Its expensive, there's no getting around that. You will likely need to use all your loan money available. Rent is probably 1500 if you share an apartment. A studio on your own probably starts at ~2500. Harlem is less expensive or Washington heights, Upper East side. More expensive areas are Upper west side, Mid Town, Chelsea, Union Square, etc. Everything including food in the city is expensive.

Why did you choose Touro if you don't mind me asking?
- I chose Touro because I'm from the area and wanted to stay living in the city due to my significant other working in the city. Also I liked the school itself when I interviewed. I wanted to stay in NYC for residency and I knew the school had a good reputation in the area. This held true and I had an easy time finding many residency options in the area that were pretty competitive.

Is the Harlem campus better than Middletown?
- I only experienced Harlem so I can't say. Middletown is definitely a different experience as its in a rural area about an hour and a half from the city. Not much to do in Middletown. Harlem is the exact opposite. Middletown has newer and bigger facilities - a dorm, their own hospital basically. Harlem you don't get the fancy appearance but your in arguable the best city in the world :) Its a trade off.

I have an interview coming up at Harlem, but after seeing COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016, I feel like I should have chosen Middletown when submitting my secondary application.

-The lectures are exactly the same and the education is exactly the same at both schools. Professors are the same. You literally watch the same lectures. The only difference being the actual makeup of that years student body and I guess the culture of the actual programs. So it really doesn't matter. You will be just as successful at either program.

Reactions: 3 users
So all of my answers might not hold true for the current school situation as like I said I graduated a few years ago, but I can answer to my experience.

- So we do have a lottery system. You basically rank your preferences and the school does its best to allow students their first 1 or two choices on location and you also rank the choices based on the yearly schedule. So for example if you're really interested in surgery you might want your 3rd year surgery rotation later in the year so you can be familiar with how rotations work first. So you don't just rank the location you also rank by the schedule you want. I got my first choice and so did the majority of my friends. I know Touro Harlem has lost some rotation sites, as have other MD and DO schools. Theres always negotiations ongoing to secure new rotation spots and sometimes locations are lost as well. When I was there - major if students rotated in NJ at a consortium of hospitals- Englewood Hosp, Palisades, etc. Now I'm not sure as I think Seton Hall /Hackensack medical school may be taking over some of those sites. Lots of students rotated at Staten Island University Hospital. All of these hospitals have residency programs and fellowships. IDK if I would call them large academic centers, but they do give the experience of working with residents and fellows which is important. Students rotated also in Brooklyn at Brookdale and some in Long Island at Southhampton. Also Good Samaritan. As you can see none of these sites are in Manhattan so yes majority of students move during 3rd and 4th year. Usually, you stay at one site for the entire 3rd year so you don't have to worry about moving mid year. Sometimes you might need to commute further for one rotation (ex: OB/GYN was only done at palisades hospital in NJ even when students were assigned Staten Island for the rest of the rotations). Everything was within the Manhattan area though so the commute was doable.

-No. If anything the school stresses the importance of COMLEX. However, that being said our faculty teaches all the same topics as any other MD or DO school, so Its not like youre learning different material for the 2 exams. The exams are very similar in what subject matter is covered. Majority of students take both, but the school doesn't care whether you take USMLE or not. It just opens up your residency options to have both USMLE and COMLEX. Residencies that were historically MD only, will not know how to compare you with the COMLEX scores only so USMLE is important for that. Now that USMLE step 1 is pass / fail, you probably shouldn't take that. The only reason to take it was for the score comparison.

-They implemented more lectures during OMS3 for us to try to improve COMLEX 2 scores. They had more review sessions with Dr. Fischer as well. I do think it probably has to do with the clinical rotations. Its not so much that the clinical rotations are sub par compared to other schools its just that some of the rotation sites didn't have formal MS3 level lectures throughout the day, where thats done at other programs. That being said most of the board prep for Level 2 is self directed. You use UWORLD to study which is a question bank. Idk why the scores were lower, on level 2 compared to 1 but I think its also that level 1 was always more stressed as being the important factor for residency apps. People probably just slacked off on level 2 studying. Now that Step 1 is pass / fail you will probably see more test prep companies designed for step 2. Im sure those scores will improve.

- This seems so long ago to me now haha like a lifetime away (lol) so I think you should ask this of someone in the school now. For me year 1 was basic sciences mixed with lots of OMM. Year 2 was more clinical related courses. Your in classes all day Tues- Thurs. Monday was our exams day. There were exams almost every Monday in MS1 and MS2. Fridays we had off to study for the most part. We studied mostly all day Fri,Sat,Sun then exams on Monday. Flipped classroom, I think I already addressed in my post above. I liked the flipped classroom, and thought it improve the ability to absorb more info in a short amount of time.

- The area is fairly safe. I wouldn't walk around alone at night. We always left school in a group of people if it was dark out. I never felt unsafe, but there's always issues with safety in any big city. Harlem is getting much more expensive and also safer. Just don't be dumb like any big city. I wouldn't want to live in Harlem personally, but I know other students that did live close to the school. The east side of 125th st is less safe. If you do live in Harlem I would stick to the west side or close to the school. Upper West Side is convenient and close enough to the school, but also a bit safer. Its of course more expensive, you would need roommates or if you live in a studio expect to pay a lot of money (~2500+ a month).

Could you also inform us about the cost of living in NY?
-See above. Its expensive, there's no getting around that. You will likely need to use all your loan money available. Rent is probably 1500 if you share an apartment. A studio on your own probably starts at ~2500. Harlem is less expensive or Washington heights, Upper East side. More expensive areas are Upper west side, Mid Town, Chelsea, Union Square, etc. Everything including food in the city is expensive.

Why did you choose Touro if you don't mind me asking?
- I chose Touro because I'm from the area and wanted to stay living in the city due to my significant other working in the city. Also I liked the school itself when I interviewed. I wanted to stay in NYC for residency and I knew the school had a good reputation in the area. This held true and I had an easy time finding many residency options in the area that were pretty competitive.

Is the Harlem campus better than Middletown?
- I only experienced Harlem so I can't say. Middletown is definitely a different experience as its in a rural area about an hour and a half from the city. Not much to do in Middletown. Harlem is the exact opposite. Middletown has newer and bigger facilities - a dorm, their own hospital basically. Harlem you don't get the fancy appearance but your in arguable the best city in the world :) Its a trade off.

I have an interview coming up at Harlem, but after seeing COMLEX Level 1 First Time Pass Rates - 2012-2016, I feel like I should have chosen Middletown when submitting my secondary application.

-The lectures are exactly the same and the education is exactly the same at both schools. Professors are the same. You literally watch the same lectures. The only difference being the actual makeup of that years student body and I guess the culture of the actual programs. So it really doesn't matter. You will be just as successful at either program.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

You mentioned that we probably shouldn't take USMLE anymore but I thought we actually have to take it now because of the MD/DO merger.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

You mentioned that we probably shouldn't take USMLE anymore but I thought we actually have to take it now because of the MD/DO merger.

I don't think USMLE will ever be required for DO's. We just don't need it for licensing. I didn't say don't take USMLE. I just mean you probably don't need to take USMLE step 1. You'll still most likely need USMLE step 2 since that will be scored. The score is the way they rank you and decide to interview you or not for residency. If USMLE step 1 is just pass/fail it won't really matter for getting a residency. Since just passing Step 1 should be pretty easy.

I don't think USMLE will ever be required for DO's. We just don't need it for licensing. I didn't say don't take USMLE. I just mean you probably don't need to take USMLE step 1. You'll still most likely need USMLE step 2 since that will be scored. The score is the way they rank you and decide to interview you or not for residency. If USMLE step 1 is just pass/fail it won't really matter for getting a residency. Since just passing Step 1 should be pretty easy.
Oh ok got it. Thank you!

I thought the new rule is that you have to take step 1 in order to take step 2, can we really skip step 1 and directly take step 2?

also is complex level1 and2 really the same as step 1 and 2?

(obviously step doesn’t test OMM, I’m asking what other differences are there between step and complex)

Last edited:
I thought the new rule is that you have to take step 1 in order to take step 2, can we really skip step 1 and directly take step 2?

also is complex level1 and2 really the same as step 1 and 2?

(obviously step doesn’t test OMM, I’m asking what other differences are there between step and complex)

I'm not sure if there is a new rule, but from what I saw people were able to take Step 2 without Step 1 during my time! Comlex 1 and 2 test the same subject material (other than OMM) as the USMLE steps. The differences are in the question style and length (and the question grammar, lol COMLEX is kind of subpar in whoever is making the questions) but over all the subject matter is exactly the same. Maybe COMLEX is more heavy based in certain areas, for example COMLEX loved specific infectious disease questions that seemed really random. At least in my experience.

Any waitlist movement yet?

Is there a date/time they are more likely to send out decisions on?

I'm not sure if there is a new rule, but from what I saw people were able to take Step 2 without Step 1 during my time! Comlex 1 and 2 test the same subject material (other than OMM) as the USMLE steps. The differences are in the question style and length (and the question grammar, lol COMLEX is kind of subpar in whoever is making the questions) but over all the subject matter is exactly the same. Maybe COMLEX is more heavy based in certain areas, for example COMLEX loved specific infectious disease questions that seemed really random. At least in my experience.

I can confirm that it's required to take Step 1 before Step 2 for new med students. :/

"In addition to the change to Step 1’s scoring system, the USMLE announced two more changes to its testing program. Examinees will now be allowed to take each exam in the Step series up to four times, down from six, to achieve a passing score. Additionally, all examinees who wish to take Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) will now be required to have first passed Step 1. Of note, the three-digit scoring systems of Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) and Step 3, and the pass/fail scoring system for Step 2 CS, will remain unchanged."

Second look canceled due to coronavirus. It is being moved online/virtually.

After May 15th

is that for waitlist? I was meaning a day that they send out post-interview decisions? like is it always on a monday or thursday....

is that for waitlist? I was meaning a day that they send out post-interview decisions? like is it always on a monday or thursday....
Oh, my bad. Idk if there's a specific day, but I heard back on a Tuesday