2019-2020 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Tufts University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@PapaGuava
1000 characters
Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

Please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. Include in this explanation if you will be a student, working, conducting research, volunteering, etc.

Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).

Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

Reactions: 4 users
why do schools put a giant "withdraw application" button right next to submit button? I feel like I'm dancing with death here

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
@PapaGuava
1000 characters
Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

Please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. Include in this explanation if you will be a student, working, conducting research, volunteering, etc.

Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).

Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)
I don’t think there is a character limit for the gap year essay just FYI

Reactions: 1 users
For the prerequisites page, are people just listing the course names and numbers?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone do Why tufts? feel like its too short so makes me think they don't want that

Anyone do Why tufts? feel like its too short so makes me think they don't want that

I was thinking about it. Right now I'm using the first question to provide a quick update (new grade and a few add'l hours of volunteering) but it feels weak, plus the prereq will be covered under the prereqs question.

How in detail are people going for the course competencies?

FYI, in the directions, it says not to list all your courses. Just put the minimum to fulfill the requirements
Oops, already submitted. But FWIW: "You are only required to list the specific coursework that fulfill our minimum requirements and not every course taken in that discipline"

Yeah I'm not required, but I did it ANYWAY TUFTS. F w/ me.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone planning to answer the question" Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?" What sorts of things do you think they're expecting?

Is anyone planning to answer the question" Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?" What sorts of things do you think they're expecting?

I think the general consensus is that if you have a strong reason for going to Tufts (connections to the area, etc.) then put it down there. I personally left it blank.

Reactions: 2 users
This is where you would talk about low grades or anything else not covered in the AMCAS or secondary that you want them to know. No need to add anything if you feel your app is complete already.

This is where you would talk about low grades or anything else not covered in the AMCAS or secondary that you want them to know. No need to add anything if you feel your app is complete already.
I added... a "Why Tufts?" piece... I hope that wasn't a bad call

I think that’s fine, you just don’t want to be redundant. But they don’t have that as one of their questions (most schools do) so I wouldn’t worry about it

I feel like they kind of want it... schools usually use this essay for gap years, withdrawals, time off.... but they very clearly have other places to put that info

Anyone selecting 'No' to the diversity question? or is it a trap

Yeah I was thinking about telling them that my research group is starting to write a manuscript for publication, something that I didn't get to show in my AMCAS. Should I include that or nah?

Yeah I was thinking about telling them that my research group is starting to write a manuscript for publication, something that I didn't get to show in my AMCAS. Should I include that or nah?

I would mention working on the project - but one piece of advice I received (I am in similar boat - currently prepping manuscript) is to hold-off mentioning the planned submission just in case things go south or it gets delayed beyond, say, interview season.

I would mention working on the project - but one piece of advice I received (I am in similar boat - currently prepping manuscript) is to hold-off mentioning the planned submission just in case things go south or it gets delayed beyond, say, interview season.
Gotcha. But do you think that it would be thought of as negative in that case, or would being able to explain why things went south or were delayed be a strong aspect in an interview? Just wondering, I haven't thought about that stage too much yet.

Gotcha. But do you think that it would be thought of as negative in that case, or would being able to explain why things went south or were delayed be a strong aspect in an interview? Just wondering, I haven't thought about that stage too much yet.

Not sure how they would interpret it - I think the school of thought is its best not to back yourself into a corner where you have to defend something like that if you don't have to.

The other outcome: you don't mention it in the secondary and then get to bring up your new publication at an interview. Nice surprises are fun.

Secondary received. I have an uncle and a cousin who completed all their medical training at Tufts. Seeing as the only options under family are parent, step parent, grandparent, and sibling, should I just select no and then list my family members under the "any additional information" section?

I have a Boston connection that isn't obvious from my app, that's the only thing going there for me. Talking about useless fluff just gives you the ability to make some major grammar mistake or something and shoot yourself in the foot. At best it wastes your and their time.

I wrote about accepting an offer with Teach For America, and that I will be pursuing deferral from med school to complete my TFA commitment and complete a masters at Johns Hopkins. I got that offer between AMCAS submission and secondaries.

Are people also just listnng the min courses to fill the requirement or all of them that fit it

in the directions above, they make it sound like they just want the min number of courses that satisfy the requirement ("You are only required to list the specific coursework that fulfill our minimum requirements and not every course taken in that discipline. We will see your complete academic history on your AMCAS grade report.")

For the coursework section, they didn't ask for labs for the sciences*, but should I put them on there anyway? Some of my schools had the lab course and lecture course separate (and others had them combined, so...)
EDIT: *Within the individual "biology", "chemistry", "physics" portions, etc. Should I duplicate them in the labs section or just put them there?

Last edited:
For the coursework section, they didn't ask for labs for the sciences*, but should I put them on there anyway? Some of my schools had the lab course and lecture course separate (and others had them combined, so...)
EDIT: *Within the individual "biology", "chemistry", "physics" portions, etc. Should I duplicate them in the labs section or just put them there?

? They have a whole lab section at the end of the pre-req section of the application? Think they are just trying to be more flexible about the way students can gain competency in a lab setting beyond just taking classes that include them

I'm in the same position.... writing a manuscript in its final stages to submit for publication. I mentioned it as part of my what are you doing this year type essays but I would not give it the spotlight of an entire essay because the process can take longer than expected/have weird delays. I think its important to mention somewhere but not for a whole essay if that makes sense.

Received a Tufts secondary late last night even though I haven't been verified yet -- just wanted to share on this thread.

Anyone applying Maine Track? Thoughts on how in depth to describe your Maine connection? I grew up in Maine, and both sides of my family have lived in Maine for three generations, but the number of characters allowed feels like I should say more.

Anyone applying Maine Track? Thoughts on how in depth to describe your Maine connection? I grew up in Maine, and both sides of my family have lived in Maine for three generations, but the number of characters allowed feels like I should say more.
didn't apply to the maine track, so grain of salt warranted, but it sounded like the program is looking for people with an interest in rural medicine

did people list AP's (that were also on your coursework) in the course competencies section?

didn't apply to the maine track, so grain of salt warranted, but it sounded like the program is looking for people with an interest in rural medicine
Thanks for the response! The rural medicine topic is covered in the other two essays. The first question simply asks about your ties to Maine. I also was wondering if they were asking about professional or medical experiences, but that would cause a lot of overlap with the other prompts.

Received a Tufts secondary late last night even though I haven't been verified yet -- just wanted to share on this thread.
Same thing happened with me an NYMC. I think AMCAS is just a little behind itself.

Are there any MD/PhDs on here who were planning on pursuing a PhD outside of the 6 or so disciplines from Sackler? I was planning on BME, and this option was available on primary section for Tufts but not on the secondary :(

What are you guys writing in the additional comments