2019-2020 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard when the march meeting is or if it got postponed?

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone heard when the march meeting is or if it got postponed?

They should have informed you of when the meeting/hear back date is at your interview. Since the last meeting covers fewer interview days than past meetings, I do not imagine it would take them long. Last interview date was 3/11 so it was probably held earlier this week or possibly tomorrow.

Even if it did get delayed, the campus is still operational which means it wouldn't be delayed more than a few days. The class and WL need to be finalized so I would imagine they will release decisions soon.

Hey, anyone else nervous that with everything going on that events such as white coat, orientation, and the start of 2020 class may be postponed, disrupted, or cancelled?

honestly, seeing as the school has converted classes to online, I don’t think first year classes will be delayed. I suspect we’ll still have lectures starting by the end of July. Unfortunately white coat and orientation may be different this year compared to other years. We are living during an historic time but the important thing is that our medical education will continue.

Reactions: 1 users
I received an email saying my FA application was complete and that FA decisions will be sent before the end of April.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if we're going to see more decisions today/tomorrow, hopefully we will if the committee meeting was yesterday!

Reactions: 6 users
Anybody surprised by how weak this years match list was compared to previous years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can you find the list?
They provided it at the interview but it's not posted online. Billy, what made you think it was weak? It looked good to me, there were a lot of strong names there.

They provided it at the interview but it's not posted online. Billy, what made you think it was weak? It looked good to me, there were a lot of strong names there.
I think he/she is asking about This years list. It’s posted on the accepted FB page. If someone wants to paste it in here, I’m a bit lazy:rolleyes:

I think he/she is asking about This years list. It’s posted on the accepted FB page. If someone wants to paste it in here, I’m a bit lazy:rolleyes:
That makes sense. I don't know why they don't make them public, most other schools do...

If anyone can post this years match list that would be great. Thanks! I don't have FB.

For those of you who got accepted, did they call you? If so, how did they get your phone number because I’ve looked on amcas and the secondary application and I could not find where I could put my phone number.

For those of you who got accepted, did they call you? If so, how did they get your phone number because I’ve looked on amcas and the secondary application and I could not find where I could put my phone number.
yes they called. you would also get an email and your portal would eventually be updated as well.

I didn't remember putting down a phone number either but sure enough got the ring on my cell. I'm sure you put it down!

Here's this year's match list

Attachments

• M20 Match List.pdf
    100.7 KB · Views: 611
  • Love
Thanks so much meemat! Here's the data by specialty comparing 2019 to 2020. I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions, but this doesn't look substantially different, what do others think? I think the institutions also matter but I'm not really sure if comparing them in this way would be helpful, happy to post if folks think it would.

Row Labels
2019​
2020​
Internal Medicine
34​
51​
Emergency Medicine
23​
21​
General Surgery
19​
20​
Pediatrics
14​
20​
Family Medicine
14​
18​
Anesthesiology
13​
12​
Transitional
13​
11​
Obstetrics/Gynecology
11​
10​
Psychiatry
7​
8​
Orthopaedic Surgery
11​
8​
Surgery Preliminary
2​
6​
Diagnostic Radiology
11​
6​
Otolaryngology
2​
4​
Ophthalmology
2​
4​
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
2​
3​
Medicine Preliminary
9​
3​
Urology
1​
3​
Dermatology
5​
3​
Neurosurgery
2​
3​
Child Neurology
1​
2​
Medicine/Pediatrics
3​
2​
Med-Primary Care
0​
2​
Med-Primary Care/Social Medicine
0​
1​
Interventional Radiology
0​
1​
Psychiatry/Child Track
0​
1​
Ped-Primary Care/Community Health
0​
1​
Pathology
1​
1​
Vascular Surgery
0​
1​
Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry
0​
1​
Family Medicine/Rural Track
1​
1​
Neurology
3​
1​
Medicine/Primary Care
3​
0​
Pediatrics/Urban Health Advocacy
1​
0​
Radiation Oncology
1​
0​
Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry
1​
0​
Thoracic Surgery
1​
0​
Plastic Surgery
1​
0​

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody surprised by how weak this years match list was compared to previous years?

Thanks so much meemat! Here's the data by specialty comparing 2019 to 2020. I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions, but this doesn't look substantially different, what do others think? I think the institutions also matter but I'm not really sure if comparing them in this way would be helpful, happy to post if folks think it would.

Row Labels
2019​
2020​
Internal Medicine
34​
51​
Emergency Medicine
23​
21​
General Surgery
19​
20​
Pediatrics
14​
20​
Family Medicine
14​
18​
Anesthesiology
13​
12​
Transitional
13​
11​
Obstetrics/Gynecology
11​
10​
Psychiatry
7​
8​
Orthopaedic Surgery
11​
8​
Surgery Preliminary
2​
6​
Diagnostic Radiology
11​
6​
Otolaryngology
2​
4​
Ophthalmology
2​
4​
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
2​
3​
Medicine Preliminary
9​
3​
Urology
1​
3​
Dermatology
5​
3​
Neurosurgery
2​
3​
Child Neurology
1​
2​
Medicine/Pediatrics
3​
2​
Med-Primary Care
0​
2​
Med-Primary Care/Social Medicine
0​
1​
Interventional Radiology
0​
1​
Psychiatry/Child Track
0​
1​
Ped-Primary Care/Community Health
0​
1​
Pathology
1​
1​
Vascular Surgery
0​
1​
Pediatrics/Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry
0​
1​
Family Medicine/Rural Track
1​
1​
Neurology
3​
1​
Medicine/Primary Care
3​
0​
Pediatrics/Urban Health Advocacy
1​
0​
Radiation Oncology
1​
0​
Psychiatry/Child Psychiatry
1​
0​
Thoracic Surgery
1​
0​
Plastic Surgery
1​
0​

Thanks for compiling! I was going to say... match lists can vary from year to year based on student interest and step score variations, but neither of these lists look weak to me...

tufts historically just seems to have a strong match list. I’m curious if this will at all change with a p/f step 1

Looking at the lists casually and comparing years they seem fairly similar. The OP may be reflecting that there are a lot of local hospitals in New England matched, and that's not surprising. Go to any schools match list and you'll see anywhere from 30-50% match to the region they attend med school. The good news is that New England has some of the finest teaching hospitals in the country. It's also it's worth noting this list includes 40 students from the Maine Track program who are "steered" toward practicing in rural areas, not University of Washington, Stanford, Duke etc..

Reactions: 4 users
tufts historically just seems to have a strong match list. I’m curious if this will at all change with a p/f step 1

If anything, I think the trend will continue since the school generally has a great reputation at residency sites. Keep in mind most schools will re-organize their schedule to have students take Step 2CK before residency interviews. Even though Step 1 is P/F, sites will want a number, and this is the only number we can still provide them at this point. Anyone who doesn't take Step 2CK "early" will almost certainly be at a disadvantage.

Hope today we hear interviewed march 4

I think Thursday and Friday have been popular hearing word days.

I interviewed early March as well, they told us by the end of the month
They're usually pretty good about sticking to their estimates based on what I've read on this thread so far. I wonder if their adcom meeting was supposed to be last Wednesday but got delayed because of the virus.

They're usually pretty good about sticking to their estimates based on what I've read on this thread so far. I wonder if their adcom meeting was supposed to be last Wednesday but got delayed because of the virus.

They’re probably meeting via zoom

They’re probably meeting via zoom
That would make sense, but the fact that March interviewees haven't heard anything yet probably means the meeting didn't happen last Wednesday. If it happened yesterday, calls should start going out today/tomorrow/Monday, hoping that's what's going to happen!

Good luck everyone - the waiting is such a killer!

Reactions: 6 users
CC25B452-0F57-49D3-91A0-4015A7955BD4.jpeg

I dont mean to be bossy but....

edit: Sorry ladies and gents. Really thought this would work. Hope you had a small laugh from your quarantine spot.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Still No change in status, early March interview, long year, maybe monday

the email I received from the financial aid office said that packages for students that submitted the application before the 3/27 deadline should expect to receive their financial package towards the end of April
Best be before that 4/30 deadline.

honestly, schools should be working on fin aid packages the moment we get accepted ... it should really be before 4/15 since we need time to narrow to 3 schools by then....

Best be before that 4/30 deadline.

honestly, schools should be working on fin aid packages the moment we get accepted ... it should really be before 4/15 since we need time to narrow to 3 schools by then....
According to last years thread, students started getting their packages in the mail around the 2nd week of april.

I called admissions today and was told that the class is not full yet so acceptances are still being extended. I was also told that deferred applicants can still receive an acceptance at this time or will be waitlisted later. They also said that the portal should be updated in 2 weeks time. I'm like 85% sure what I'm reporting is accurate because I get a little anxious when I speak to people who could help determine my future.

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed early March,awaiting notification, have put deposit elsewhere but hopeing will hear soon

I called admissions today and was told that the class is not full yet so acceptances are still being extended. I was also told that deferred applicants can still receive an acceptance at this time or will be waitlisted later. They also said that the portal should be updated in 2 weeks time. I'm like 85% sure what I'm reporting is accurate because I get a little anxious when I speak to people who could help determine my future.
Thanks for making the call :) do you know what they meant by the portal being updated in two weeks?

Thanks for making the call :) do you know what they meant by the portal being updated in two weeks?
No idea, I would assume that they meant people who interviewed more recently would get their results and maybe some deferred movement to As or WL based on the recent cohort? Realistically its anyone's guess. At least we know the office is staffed and can answer questions though!

No idea, I would assume that they meant people who interviewed more recently would get their results and maybe some deferred movement to As or WL based on the recent cohort? Realistically its anyone's guess. At least we know the office is staffed and can answer questions though!

I interviewed early March, and I got an email this past Sunday saying that decisions are delayed and we can expect to hear “within 2 weeks”, if that helps!

I interviewed early March, and I got an email this past Sunday saying that decisions are delayed and we can expect to hear “within 2 weeks”, if that helps!
Ok so that's probably what they meant. I got deferred late Feb so i'm curious if I could swing an A when you guys hear back in a few weeks...I would assume so because I would think all deferred applicants get brought back around for comparison with the new interviewing group.