2019-2020 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok so that's probably what they meant. I got deferred late Feb so i'm curious if I could swing an A when you guys hear back in a few weeks...I would assume so because I would think all deferred applicants get brought back around for comparison with the new interviewing group.

Yea that makes sense! Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so that's probably what they meant. I got deferred late Feb so i'm curious if I could swing an A when you guys hear back in a few weeks...I would assume so because I would think all deferred applicants get brought back around for comparison with the new interviewing group.
Same boat here... Last year I didn't really see anyone move from deferred to A directly, but there were some people who went deferred->WL->A. I wonder if it will be different this year though, as financial aid letters should be arriving shortly for a lot of accepted students meaning they're going to start deciding on schools and turning down acceptances. Hopefully it works out for us :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew, it wasn't the right fit for me. Hopefully one of you fits in better!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Darn I was really hoping to hear this week :( Hopefully next week!

Reactions: 1 users
Darn I was really hoping to hear this week :( Hopefully next week!
Haha they said the next two weeks last Sunday, so it's very likely they'll do something next week. I guess we'll see though :p

Reactions: 2 users
Haha they said the next two weeks last Sunday, so it's very likely they'll do something next week. I guess we'll see though :p

They said “within” so I thought there was still a chance lol

Reactions: 1 user
I hope we get them before Wednesday! I am not sure how we are supposed to make decisions without it
Technically we don’t have to make a decision. It is a courtesy to other students on WL and to schools so movement can begin. But I’m not sure why schools expect us to show that kind of courtesy without giving us a FA package and ample time to make a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your deferral email phrase it as “a priority position on the waitlist”?
No they said that they have "deferred making a final decision on your application" and that "this letter does not mean that you have been waitlisted."

Any recent updates or contact from admissions for Maine Track folks?

I'm confused. So deferred applicants vs WL vs priority WL. What happens to deferred ppl on April 30? Do they get rejected or WL or priority WL?
I'm not sure... Tufts said in the email that deferred applicants could hear back between now and mid May. I would think either 1) deferred applicants have to hear back before April 30 or 2) that the AAMC guidelines allow applicants to hold waitlists and deferrals after April 30, but only one acceptance. Not sure about all this though.

I'm not sure... Tufts said in the email that deferred applicants could hear back between now and mid-May. I would think either 1) deferred applicants have to hear back before April 30 or 2) that the AAMC guidelines allow applicants to hold waitlists and deferrals after April 30, but only one acceptance. Not sure about all this though.

To the best of my knowledge that is how the AAMC guidelines are structured. Accepted applicants are encouraged to narrow choices to one acceptance and PTE by April 30th but can remain on other waitlists if they so choose until the CTE deadline for that school. If they were to receive another acceptance they are encouraged to decide between the two and either switch their PTE or keep their current one and decline their A from the other school.

One thing I learned last cycle is that these "guidelines" are not hard and fast rules. There is no AAMC enforcement and each school's policy is different so the responsibility often falls on the individual applicants to abide. Last year, it was not uncommon for applicants to hold multiple acceptances deep into May while they waited for financial aid packages.

This practice, while understandable, does delay the trickle-down of acceptances to waitlisted/deferred applicants.

To all those waiting: Buckle up & hope for the best! May the odds be ever in your favor

Got that “priority position” WL email just now :/
I believe this email is for applicants who would have gotten a straight acceptance if they had interviewed earlier in the cycle. Last year less than half of everyone accepted to Tufts decided to attend, and I don't think that's going to change this year. My guess is you have a very good chance of getting in!

Are those getting the priority waitlist emails being waitlisted after interviewing instead of being deferred? Or did you go from deferred to WL?

I believe this email is for applicants who would have gotten a straight acceptance if they had interviewed earlier in the cycle. Last year less than half of everyone accepted to Tufts decided to attend, and I don't think that's going to change this year. My guess is you have a very good chance of getting in!

I really appreciate you letting me know, thank you!

When will finaid come out...

Sometime before April 30th. Historically people have received the package a week or so before the end of the month. Patience is a virtue :)

EDIT: Confirmed today that the finaid office is aiming to have all awards released via email by Friday April 24th.

Last edited:
Just got my financial aid award. My financial aid application was complete a few days before the deadline.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there somewhere online you can see your FA award?

I withdrew a couple of days ago. Good luck to you all

Reactions: 4 users
did the accepted students who received the FA package get an email notification that their app portal had an update? or did you just see a new tab when you checked the site

Just a heads up got a call from tufts a few days ago and thought it was an A but it was just to talk about a new master program if I didn’t get in anywhere else

• Angry
Just a heads up got a call from tufts a few days ago and thought it was an A but it was just to talk about a new master program if I didn’t get in anywhere else
Just got this call a few minutes ago

What exactly is that program? What is it for?
It's a Masters that guarantee's admission for the following year (with good grades I am assuming) but he didn't really get into more specifics because he said I probably wouldn't be interested if I was accepted to other schools.

It's a Masters that guarantee's admission for the following year (with good grades I am assuming) but he didn't really get into more specifics because he said I probably wouldn't be interested if I was accepted to other schools.
There were people at my interview day who were in this masters program at Tufts, though I think guarantee is a strong word

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Its probably a bridge program where if you maintain a certain gpa and hit a certain MCAT score they guarantee you an interview.

I see. Well, some people do an SPM or post bac for this purpose. It does seem pricey...

Is it really a new program or just their MBS program? They currently don't have a linkage, but if they're going to create a linkage, their program is going to be much more worth it.