2019-2020 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,
Just got on this page, can anyone brief me on whether or not anyone on hold for an interview has actually gotten an interview. I acknowledge the soft R theory.

As far as I know no one on hold has reported receiving an interview. They say they reevaluate in January but I’m not holding my breath.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the running theory for those that submitted earlier than later (mid-August) that have not gotten II, pre-II hold, Rejection nor any other communication yet?

What's the running theory for those that submitted earlier than later (mid-August) that have not gotten II, pre-II hold, Rejection nor any other communication yet?
I'm in that boat and knowing my app I know I have both strong unique qualities and weaknesses that understandably make me a less than ideal candidate. I'm (hopefully) thinking that my strengths intrigued them enough that they wanna keep me on the back burner but want to check out other candidates first to make sure that there aren't other people they'd rather give the II to first.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS - Placed on "Hold" on 9/16/19 - silence since

I called the office and they notified me that if you haven’t heard, they literally haven’t gotten to your app yet even if you submitted 4 months ago. They are trying to let everyone know of II* decisions by Dec 20th.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I called the office and they notified me that if you haven’t heard, they literally haven’t gotten to your app yet even if you submitted 4 months ago. They are trying to let everyone know of II* decisions by Dec 20th.

And all at once, it was as if all the neuroticism in the galaxy cried out at once, and then suddenly silenced

• Haha
  • Love
I just called the office and they said they're up to date on communication (a tiny part of me was afraid i was on hold but they forgot to send me an email lol) so if you haven't received an email, there's no "internal hold", they just haven't reached a decision yet.

+2 Placed on Hold. It's basically a soft R, right?

Anyone complete post august 20th get a hold yet?!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Another hold. Honestly really surprised that I am officially still being considered, even though it's basically soft R. I applied to all the UCs, got secondaries from Davis and SD. R at Davis. OOS with a low GPA. Complete mid Aug.

Anyone complete post august 20th get a hold yet?!
I think it may have been in the previous page but I remember a few ppl who were complete in september say they heard back (not sure if it was a hold or II tho)

got an interview invite early this morning -- honestly blown away because I am not a high stats applicant!

Secondary submitted/completed Aug 7, in-state

Signed up for the earliest available interview date -- currently in Feb

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
got an interview invite early this morning -- honestly blown away because I am not a high stats applicant!

Secondary submitted/completed Aug 7, in-state

Signed up for the earliest available interview date -- currently in Feb

Incredible! Congrats!

• Love
Congrats to all those accepted/invited for interviews!! Has anyone who applied for the MAS Clinical Research dual degree received an interview invitation/acceptance? Thanks! :)

Congrats to all those accepted/invited for interviews!! Has anyone who applied for the MAS Clinical Research dual degree received an interview invitation/acceptance? Thanks! :)
I think they consider you just for acceptance into MD first before considering you for the MAS clinical research program. I'm not completely sure though others should correct me if I'm wrong. I also applied to that program though and its still silence for me ):

I think they consider you just for acceptance into MD first before considering you for the MAS clinical research program. I'm not completely sure though others should correct me if I'm wrong. I also applied to that program though and its still silence for me ):
Oooh okay that makes sense. Thank you!! Good luck

Hello,
Just got on this page, can anyone brief me on whether or not anyone on hold for an interview has actually gotten an interview. I acknowledge the soft R theory.
A reputable source has told me that if you've been put on hold chances are slim to none

Hello,

my email said:
“Our Committee will again review the applications of those on “hold” for an interview by late January 2020. We anticipate that additional interview offers will be extended at that time, but we are unable to assess/approximate the likelihood for any individual applicant.”

my email said:
“Our Committee will again review the applications of those on “hold” for an interview by late January 2020. We anticipate that additional interview offers will be extended at that time, but we are unable to assess/approximate the likelihood for any individual applicant.”
Yeah, that's what it says, but history tells a different story. look at past threads. They don't tend to go to their hold list, at least from what has been posted on SDN.

Yeah, that's what it says, but history tells a different story. look at past threads. They don't tend to go to their hold list, at least from what has been posted on SDN.
just because they don’t tend to doesn’t mean it won’t happen! any one of us could be the lucky ones... it isn’t over till it’s over lol

Anyone complete in early Nov heard back yet? Not sure if they have even looked at my application.

ppl who have heard back post interview, did the email come in the morning or later? Could you tell from the subject line/email what the decision was or did you have to go to the portal? Also ppl who interviewed in late nov, we should hear back this week right?

ppl who have heard back post interview, did the email come in the morning or later? Could you tell from the subject line/email what the decision was or did you have to go to the portal? Also ppl who interviewed in late nov, we should hear back this week right?
Around noon eastern and the decision is in the email.

• Wow
II from hold. Kinda unexpected but I’ll take it?

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
II from hold. Kinda unexpected but I’ll take it?

Welp, this changes everything. Your post will be found, referenced, and viewed as hope for many cycles to come. Congrats and kill your interview!!

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Just now got off the hold list and invited to interview! Beyond shocked because I took the hold as being a soft r....

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
On hold initially on 9/16 methinks.
Feb is when the dates were.

Last edited:
still no word since I was complete in early august... if theyre giving ppl II from holds I guess i should keep my hopes low ):