2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone who got an acceptance know what "in progress" transcript is? Is this a transcript for fall grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a general thank you to admissions with my course update form that they asked us to complete and a quick thank you email to the student who took us to lunch (not my interviewer). Hopefully, I didn't break any rules haha now the waiting game Dr. Wofsy told us we'd hear back by the end of feb

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed on the 10th but haven’t heard anything :/

I got accepted last night, and I interviewed in November. I got skipped on the last acceptance wave but made it in anyways, so hopefully that provides some buffer against anxiety

Reactions: 1 users
was the acceptance for the main program or for SJV Prime? Congrats!
I interviewed for the PRIME but the acceptance doesn't mention it. I believe the app goes through two different committees: the regular acceptance, and then the PRIME committee later on :)

Reactions: 2 users
I got accepted last night, and I interviewed in November. I got skipped on the last acceptance wave but made it in anyways, so hopefully that provides some buffer against anxiety
Thanks for the reply, really eased the nerves! And congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if UCSF offers admissions in line with this? https://www.aamc.org/system/files/reports/1/aibvol11_no6.pdf
1580186948318.png

They mentioned on interview day that they don’t place a very big emphasis on interviews
They mentioned they evaluate the interview like it’s another letter of rec—definitely not as make-or-break as other places

Anyone heard back specifically from SJV PRIME? Today's the last day of January :(

• Hmm
Don't stress! During my interview day for SJV Prime they said we will not know till mid-late Feb
When I interviewed in December for sjv prime I think they said decisions would come out in late January. But maybe that's just for regular MD admissions, and sjv prime decisions will come out later after they interviewed everyone.

Anyone else tryna log into the financial aid portal but it says the UCSF ID login doesn’t work?

When I interviewed in December for sjv prime I think they said decisions would come out in late January. But maybe that's just for regular MD admissions, and sjv prime decisions will come out later after they interviewed everyone.
Late January is today!!!!

Don't stress! During my interview day for SJV Prime they said we will not know till mid-late Feb
29 days In February this year, ladies and gents (and others not fitting those categories).
29 potential days to hear back

Meanwhile I'm just waiting on this waitlist haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Interviewing on Jan 27th for SJV prime! Anyone else here interviewing for SJV Prime, and does anyone know if we are interviewing for both regular med & SJV Prime or are only being considered for prime? The process is a little confusing and it’s not clarified in the emails or status page
Isn’t it both according to the Wof?

Have you sent any updates or has anyone else sent out updates?
I haven't sent updates I'm not sure if they are receptive? Only things that have changed for me were a few added grades that I sent with the updated grade form after the interview.

Man, I'm looking forward to hearing back from UCSF this month. I just want to get accepted and withdraw from my remaining 4 interviews. I'm getting burn out at this point.
Anyone know if they’ll be in a bad mood because the niners lost?

Reactions: 1 users
sorry if someone already asked this, but is ucsf receptive to pre-II updates?

did anyone else just basically faint on the spot with that financial aid letter that came via snail mail and had the nerve to start with "thank you for applying to UCSF...?"

• Haha
Accepted!!! Interviewed last month on the 16th! This is the greatest day of my life!!! Shoutout to everyone in this thread. I hope you all hear good news as well. Also, officially withdrawing from all other interviews/schools
A three week turnaround?????? You must be a phenomenal applicant ngl

Reactions: 4 users
With Step 1 now being pass/fail, how is everyone feeling about the core clerkships (M3) being pass/fail at UCSF, while almost every other school gives you the opportunity to get honors?

With Step 1 now being pass/fail, how is everyone feeling about the core clerkships (M3) being pass/fail at UCSF, while almost every other school gives you the opportunity to get honors?
If I’m not mistaken, I think sub-internships might still be graded. Also, there’s a lot of time built into the curriculum for electives and research! I don’t think at a place like UCSF this is going to change much for applicants, but also I’m just a lil premed still lol

How will residency directors differentiate among us if Step 1 is now P/F? Is this better for us matriculating students at top tier schools like UCSF? Is there going to be a larger emphasis on Step 2 CK now?
I’m not sure anyone really knows at this point (probably not even the PDs)! I have faith that UCSF will make sure you’re in a good position to match, though. From what I’ve heard Step 1 is an exam that is quite basic science focused. Step 2 tests more clinically relevant info, and UCSF offers one of the best clinical educations according to PD rankings :)

Yeah, we will still be able to earn honors in sub-I’s (mainly done 4th year). However, our (class of 2024) grades will look nearly identical up until we’re done with core rotations. One could argue we’ll be at a disadvantage competing for a residency spot against an otherwise identical applicant from UCLA, for example, who was able to honor a few of their core rotations while we simply passed ours.

Granted, I still think we are in great shape, and so is anyone else matriculating at a Top 5 school. With the elimination of step scores, most are saying there will be more emphasis placed on research and school reputation. Not only does UCSF have one of the best reputations in the country, it also enables its students to get plenty of quality research. A win-win.

Yeah, we will still be able to earn honors in sub-I’s (mainly done 4th year). However, our (class of 2024) grades will look nearly identical up until we’re done with core rotations. One could argue we’ll be at a disadvantage competing for a residency spot against an otherwise identical applicant from UCLA, for example, who was able to honor a few of their core rotations while we simply passed ours.

Granted, I still think we are in great shape, and so is anyone else matriculating at a Top 5 school. With the elimination of step scores, most are saying there will be more emphasis placed on research and school reputation. Not only does UCSF have one of the best reputations in the country, it also enables its students to get plenty of quality research. A win-win.

on what you said about UCLA vs UCSF. we can also argue that because no grades are available from UCSF, PD's can either interview all UCSF applicants or interview none. And I think it's most likely they will interview all to make sure they don't miss some good candidates. On the other hand, UCLA will have grades so they can easily screen applicants from there.

A lot of those people holding acceptances have them for other high ranking schools like UCLA or Harvard that actually offer scholarships and perhaps more "hand holding" for hardcore research, so Imma bank on that causing people to withdraw anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add a few thoughts to some already great points about P/F:
  • Its all speculation (as of now) about how the STEP 1 P/F decision will force PD's to look at applicants.
  • Details have yet to be rolled out about the precise implementation of P/F
  • P/F doesn't change the fact that UCSF still has some of the best "clinical education" and PD's often look for clinical acumen in their interns.
  • UCSF, from what i know, doesn't rank T5 when it comes to STEP 1 averages, yet, the class usually matches well.
Also, its important to notice that not everyone will be gunning for competitive specialties; for those people, the P/F combined with clerkships P/F might not mean much.