2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do people have any clue when PRIME applicants hear back?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed the office to ask them about the interview day schedule as I never recived a confirmation email from them.
Right now all I have is the 9;45am time and the address of the building from their online portal,

No reply yet. Are they usually responsive to emails
Ok, same. Let us know if they reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed the office to ask them about the interview day schedule as I never recived a confirmation email from them.
Right now all I have is the 9;45am time and the address of the building from their online portal,

No reply yet. Are they usually responsive to emails
That’s all you need to know. Show up at that building by 9:45.

Then you’ll have a few presentations, lunch, tour, then interviews. They’ll give you a schedule when you get there.

Reactions: 2 users
Those who interviewed, what's that name of the building where you congregate upon arrival? I know the address, but google maps didn't help in identifying the building.

This is a game changer for me. Was loving the yale system, but this sweetens the deal at ucla for sure!

I don't feel like I understand the changes enough compared to the usual. Can you explain why you like to so much? Maybe that'll help me understand it more. Thank you.

I don't feel like I understand the changes enough compared to the usual. Can you explain why you like to so much? Maybe that'll help me understand it more. Thank you.
One year preclinical (rather than two), one year almost exclusively dedicated to research. Very different than most schools (but similar to Duke).

However, the changes won’t be completely implemented for the class entering after this application cycle.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
One year preclinical (rather than two), one year almost exclusively dedicated to research. Very different than most schools (but similar to Duke).

However, the changes won’t be completely implemented for the class entering after this application cycle.

What other schools have a curriculum similar to Duke? Or have substantial research time in their schedule

What other schools have a curriculum similar to Duke? Or have substantial research time in their schedule
Many schools will allow you to take an extra year to do research (so get the MD in 5 years if you choose to take a research year). I don’t think any others have a curriculum similar to Duke’s.

Do people have any clue when PRIME applicants hear back?

I think someone in the prime thread mentioned October which is significantly earlier than last year which was December. Not sure where that info came from though so take with a huge grain of salt!

Many MS1 were talking about how the admissions office was a disaster last year, and I hope they get their **** back together. I'm honestly scared.

I got a super early interview here last year and no word yet this year...I'm honestly scared too! That last year's adcom was like "nice application" and this years adcom is like "hard pass"!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I got a super early interview here last year and no word yet this year...I'm honestly scared too! That last year's adcom was like "nice application" and this years adcom is like "hard pass"!
Your story does scare me.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
were you waitlisted last year?

were you waitlisted last year?

Nope. I am not sure what happened. It seemed like the interview went really well. But I made the classic mistake of applying without much clinical experience and I think that bit me in the end. Just hoping they see how much I've done and what a difference it's made in my thinking/writing since last year. I loved interviewing here and attending would be a dream, curriculum issues notwithstanding.

• Sad
Nope. I am not sure what happened. It seemed like the interview went really well. But I made the classic mistake of applying without much clinical experience and I think that bit me in the end. Just hoping they see how much I've done and what a difference it's made in my thinking/writing since last year. I loved interviewing here and attending would be a dream, curriculum issues notwithstanding.
On the bright side, your cycle is going pretty well this year, right? You’re likely to get at least once acceptance even if it’s not UCLA. I thought my interview went well, too, but it’s hard to know for sure.

• Love
On the bright side, your cycle is going pretty well this year, right? You’re likely to get at least once acceptance even if it’s not UCLA. I thought my interview went well, too, but it’s hard to know for sure.

Yes, so far way better than last year! And all we need is one!

• Love
II! CA resident. The available interview dates as of now seem to be Oct 28 and later.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
To be honest, this is the weirdest thing. Two nights ago I had a dream. I dreamt that I was accompanying someone to their interview at Geffen. It was an "open" interview, that is, the adcom was sitting in a big auditorium and there were chairs for the interviewees. The audience was allowed to watch the interview. Right before the interview start one of the adcom members yelled that I did something and that not only my friend's app but also my app will no longer be considered in this process. They yelled at me a little. I don't remember it as vivid as when I woke up. Paranoia in its purest form!

Gotta go pop some footballs... lolz :)

Congratulations! You must be over the moon!!
You have no idea! UCLA Geffen SOM has always been my dream school throughout the whole process. I honestly feel like getting an interview there is already a huge achievement. It's very humbling at the same time and I still can't even grasp how this happened.

• Love
You have no idea! UCLA Geffen SOM has always been my dream school throughout the whole process. I honestly feel like getting an interview there is already a huge achievement. It's very humbling at the same time and I still can't even grasp how this happened.
I love reading these types of posts. Good luck with your interview. You've got this!

II!!!!!! Somehow, someway, very unclear how, but II!!

OOS, complete 7/25

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Unless you haven't updated your signature yet, I love that your only MD II is from your dream school. That's pretty amazing.

Congrats!

Did you get it just now or with the others?
I got it with the others at around 6, but only checked after leaving work an hour later so that was a very happy surprise

Can someone share when the PM interview starts? It said be there at 9:45 but I heard it doesn’t start until 11...

Can someone share when the PM interview starts? It said be there at 9:45 but I heard it doesn’t start until 11...
There is no AM/PM.

For Monday or Friday Interviews, please plan to arrive by 9:45am

For Saturday Interviews, please plan to arrive by 8:30am

Saturday interview people are so lucky!

• Wow
There is no AM/PM.

For Monday or Friday Interviews, please plan to arrive by 9:45am

For Saturday Interviews, please plan to arrive by 8:30am

I think that's how they were referred to somewhere... No worries, thanks anyways.

Does anyone know if the MMI is open file or closed?

While I wanted to apply to this school, I didn't add it to my initial list when I initially submitted AMCAS early August due to the new supposed cutoffs that were supposed to be in effect this cycle.

Thank goodness I found this forum! The fact that there are applicants with stats lower than the supposed cutoffs getting secondaries encouraged me to resubmit my amcas app. to UCLA yesterday near noon.

I woke up with a secondary waiting for me in my inbox (junk folder)! That was quite quick! I'm on track to submit the secondary either today or tomorrow being the latest!

Stats/Residency: cGPA/sGPA of 3.65 and Mcat (retake) of 511 (Just below the supposed hard-cutoff). OOS Canadian Citizen with an AOS and has ties to the state (lived in SoCal for one year during HS, have relatives in LA, and my family owns property in the state).

Man, the misinformation about the cutoffs probably discouraged other fellow applicants to apply as well. I feel like UCLA could have provided better clarity on that matter. :/

As for me, I'm kicking myself over not having found this forum sooner. :(

• Sad
Does anyone know if the MMI is open file or closed?
I believe it is closed. You just come into the room and start talking. I don't think they review your file prior to this.

Reactions: 3 users
hey! how's the cycle going?

Pretty quiet from US MD's. All secondaries (including this one have been submitted). Haven't heard anything back from any school yet.

I'm finishing up Canadian medical school applications atm.
I'm pissing my pants when it comes to the UBC application since my transcript has yet to be considered received yet I sent it 2 weeks ago and the deadline is tomorrow... rest of the app is complete.
UoA's is nearly finished, just waiting on one reference to complete his form. Same case with OMSAS.
Gonna start on McGill's soon.

Wbu?

Pretty quiet from US MD's. All secondaries (including this one have been submitted). Haven't heard anything back from any school yet.

I'm finishing up Canadian medical school applications atm.
I'm pissing my pants when it comes to the UBC application since my transcript has yet to be considered received yet I sent it 2 weeks ago and the deadline is tomorrow... rest of the app is complete.
UoA's is nearly finished, just waiting on one reference to complete his form. Same case with OMSAS.
Gonna start on McGill's soon.

Wbu?
no interviews from any US MD's , one DO. Good luck!

I believe it is closed. You just come into the room and start talking. I don't think they review your file prior to this.
do you know if the traditional interview portions open or closed? Thanks!!

I don't think that there are actually AM/PM interviews - I know on the initial information screen that they showed when you scheduled your interview, it split things into an AM and a PM session, but I am *pretty* sure that on my interview day there was only one group. On the initial information screen I got (the one that disappeared as soon as you closed the tab and caused everyone to freak out lol), it said the AM interview began at 8:15ish and the PM interview began at 11. When I scheduled my interview, I was in the AM session, but I went in at 9:45 for mine per the updated instructions on my portal.

IMO I think if your portal says to be there at 9:45 then that's when you should go. I didn't see any other students or interview areas during my interview day or while I was touring the school. By 11 on my interview day we were well into a presentation on the school, so I'd probably say to get there at 9:45 just to be safe unless you hear something else from admissions directly.