Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

The Inner Machinations of my mind are an enigma
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Nov 23, 2018
Interviewed here today. Honestly a really chill interview. Faculty interviews were very conversational. MMI wasn't extremely challenging either. Overall a very good experience. The culture on campus was great. Definitely impressed me.

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
Interviewed here today. Honestly a really chill interview. Faculty interviews were very conversational. MMI wasn't extremely challenging either. Overall a very good experience. The culture on campus was great. Definitely impressed me.
Same and I agree.

proudofmykids

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 10, 2019
What’s most recent submission date for secondary who has received Geffen II?

Jan 8, 2018
What are we up to, What’s most recent submission date for secondary who has received Geffen II?
Many places don't send IIs in order of when secondaries were sent out. I think UCLA is one of those schools.

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If the implementation is delayed as suggested, wouldn't the incoming/currently interviewing class be the ones with the first overlapping clerkships? Is this something to be concerned about as an applicant?
Our class(current MS1)'s primary focus is to work with the curriculum education admission to sort this out and ask for a manageable plan/solution to this situation for your class and ours. Similarly, last MS1(current MS2) fought hard with the admission committee and asked them to postpone (hopefully indefinitely) with the hard cut-off screen.

However, I wouldn't worry about this until second look. So I would say this is something to be concerned about as an accepted applicant

Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma

Engrailed

Keep calm and drink water. Namaste.
Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I emailed the office to ask them about the interview day schedule as I never recived a confirmation email from them.
Right now all I have is the 9;45am time and the address of the building from their online portal,

No reply yet. Are they usually responsive to emails

Mar 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Our class(current MS1)'s primary focus is to work with the curriculum education admission to sort this out and ask for a manageable plan/solution to this situation for your class and ours. Similarly, last MS1(current MS2) fought hard with the admission committee and asked them to postpone (hopefully indefinitely) with the hard cut-off screen.

However, I wouldn't worry about this until second look. So I would say this is something to be concerned about as an accepted applicant
Sounds good! The question was asked by someone at my interview day and it seemed like the admin was not concerned about it, they were looking for additional sites/already had additional sites. I really loved UCLA and don’t want this to get in the way of my excitement about the potential to come here! If you could let us know about updates as you may hear of them that would be wonderful.

Jul 31, 2018
I've seen a few posts about curriculum changes. Anyone mind elaborating on a few specifics? Thank you :)

Sep 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it worth applying to UCLA now, or it is too late at this point? I know that UCLA is very heavy about rolling admissions and applying early in the cycle. Thank you!

Feb 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do people have any clue when PRIME applicants hear back?

Sep 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I emailed the office to ask them about the interview day schedule as I never recived a confirmation email from them.
Right now all I have is the 9;45am time and the address of the building from their online portal,

Ok, same. Let us know if they reply.

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019

That’s all you need to know. Show up at that building by 9:45.

Then you’ll have a few presentations, lunch, tour, then interviews. They’ll give you a schedule when you get there.

Reactions: SagaciousSequoia
Sep 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Those who interviewed, what's that name of the building where you congregate upon arrival? I know the address, but google maps didn't help in identifying the building.

Jul 31, 2018
This is a game changer for me. Was loving the yale system, but this sweetens the deal at ucla for sure!
I don't feel like I understand the changes enough compared to the usual. Can you explain why you like to so much? Maybe that'll help me understand it more. Thank you.

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
I don't feel like I understand the changes enough compared to the usual. Can you explain why you like to so much? Maybe that'll help me understand it more. Thank you.
One year preclinical (rather than two), one year almost exclusively dedicated to research. Very different than most schools (but similar to Duke).

However, the changes won’t be completely implemented for the class entering after this application cycle.

• Sad
Reactions: Engrailed

Engrailed

Keep calm and drink water. Namaste.
Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
One year preclinical (rather than two), one year almost exclusively dedicated to research. Very different than most schools (but similar to Duke).

However, the changes won’t be completely implemented for the class entering after this application cycle.
What other schools have a curriculum similar to Duke? Or have substantial research time in their schedule

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
What other schools have a curriculum similar to Duke? Or have substantial research time in their schedule
Many schools will allow you to take an extra year to do research (so get the MD in 5 years if you choose to take a research year). I don’t think any others have a curriculum similar to Duke’s.

Reactions: Engrailed

premed athlete

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Do people have any clue when PRIME applicants hear back?
I think someone in the prime thread mentioned October which is significantly earlier than last year which was December. Not sure where that info came from though so take with a huge grain of salt!

MrsDrDr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Many MS1 were talking about how the admissions office was a disaster last year, and I hope they get their **** back together. I'm honestly scared.
I got a super early interview here last year and no word yet this year...I'm honestly scared too! That last year's adcom was like "nice application" and this years adcom is like "hard pass"!

Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I got a super early interview here last year and no word yet this year...I'm honestly scared too! That last year's adcom was like "nice application" and this years adcom is like "hard pass"!
were you waitlisted last year?

MrsDrDr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
were you waitlisted last year?
Nope. I am not sure what happened. It seemed like the interview went really well. But I made the classic mistake of applying without much clinical experience and I think that bit me in the end. Just hoping they see how much I've done and what a difference it's made in my thinking/writing since last year. I loved interviewing here and attending would be a dream, curriculum issues notwithstanding.

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
Nope. I am not sure what happened. It seemed like the interview went really well. But I made the classic mistake of applying without much clinical experience and I think that bit me in the end. Just hoping they see how much I've done and what a difference it's made in my thinking/writing since last year. I loved interviewing here and attending would be a dream, curriculum issues notwithstanding.
On the bright side, your cycle is going pretty well this year, right? You’re likely to get at least once acceptance even if it’s not UCLA. I thought my interview went well, too, but it’s hard to know for sure.

• Love
Reactions: MrsDrDr

MrsDrDr

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
On the bright side, your cycle is going pretty well this year, right? You’re likely to get at least once acceptance even if it’s not UCLA. I thought my interview went well, too, but it’s hard to know for sure.
Yes, so far way better than last year! And all we need is one!

Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone who interviewed recently, did they mention any specific timeline for decisions?

Jan 8, 2018
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm guessing they'd say something along the lines of: "don't call us...we'll call you"
Lol if you go to last years thread, you can see they were given out promises of decisions by X date left and right. They didnt follow through with any of them. Makes sense for them not to mention anything at all this year lol

A-Fib

The future’s so bright I gotta wear shades...
Bronze Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
To be honest, this is the weirdest thing. Two nights ago I had a dream. I dreamt that I was accompanying someone to their interview at Geffen. It was an "open" interview, that is, the adcom was sitting in a big auditorium and there were chairs for the interviewees. The audience was allowed to watch the interview. Right before the interview start one of the adcom members yelled that I did something and that not only my friend's app but also my app will no longer be considered in this process. They yelled at me a little. I don't remember it as vivid as when I woke up. Paranoia in its purest form!

Gotta go pop some footballs... lolz :)

A-Fib

Bronze Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Congratulations! You must be over the moon!!
You have no idea! UCLA Geffen SOM has always been my dream school throughout the whole process. I honestly feel like getting an interview there is already a huge achievement. It's very humbling at the same time and I still can't even grasp how this happened.

• Love

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
You have no idea! UCLA Geffen SOM has always been my dream school throughout the whole process. I honestly feel like getting an interview there is already a huge achievement. It's very humbling at the same time and I still can't even grasp how this happened.
I love reading these types of posts. Good luck with your interview. You've got this!

Jul 31, 2018
Unless you haven't updated your signature yet, I love that your only MD II is from your dream school. That's pretty amazing.

A-Fib

Bronze Donor
Jan 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

blurb_123

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2017
Can someone share when the PM interview starts? It said be there at 9:45 but I heard it doesn’t start until 11...