2019-2020 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Alabama

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received (I can post the prompts later), but the email said to not submit until all MCAT scores and LORs have been added. Unfortunately this means I can't submit until October 1st when my second MCAT score is released. Should I even bother finishing the secondary?

Wow this secondary is a lot shorter than previous years. Lowkey happy bc its less work for me but kinda worried I wont be able to fully market myself to them...especially as an OOS applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow this secondary is a lot shorter than previous years. Lowkey happy bc its less work for me but kinda worried I wont be able to fully market myself to them...especially as an OOS applicant.

You just got called out by UABSOMs Twitter lmao

Reactions: 1 user
You just got called out by UABSOMs Twitter lmao
clown.jpeg

How I feel after being called out by UABSOM on twitter and then finding the other essays literally 2 seconds later.................

Last edited:
I’m in state applicant hoping take a chance on this school since they are big on in state. Being non traditional applicant I am hoping to have a chance with my career in radiology. Good luck to everyone.

Secondary received (I can post the prompts later), but the email said to not submit until all MCAT scores and LORs have been added. Unfortunately this means I can't submit until October 1st when my second MCAT score is released. Should I even bother finishing the secondary?

Anyone have the secondary prompts?

All Applicants: if the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain:

750 characers:
*Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?

Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application:

Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class:

For this question:

1. If the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain: (1500 character)

Do they want my whole life story? (Where I was born, where I went to elementary, middle, and high school since they are all different)

Also, what do they mean by explain? They want me to explain why I moved so much?

I am probably over thinking this, but I don't want to make mistakes misinterpreting the questions.

Thank you!

I posted this on wrong year earlier, anybody know if UAB has a mandatory lecture attendance policy?

Members don't see this ad :)

This is all I got from Alabama for the MSTP
"Congratulations!! Your application has moved over to the Initial Review Phase of the application process; therefore, it is now under review and remains competitive at this time. "

Is there a secondary from Alabama for MSTP - I thought this meant that wasn't any

Last edited:
This is all I got from Alabama for the MSTP
"Congratulations!! Your application has moved over to the Initial Review Phase of the application process; therefore, it is now under review and remains competitive at this time. "

Is there a secondary from Alabama for MSTP - I thought this meant that wasn't any
Yes, there is. The committee does an initial review of your application and then they'll invite you to complete an MSTP secondary if you meet their minimum standards.

MSTP Secondary today!!

Do y'all think the MSTP program cares if we have Alabama ties? I am OOS with no ties whatsoever.

MSTP Secondary today!!

Do y'all think the MSTP program cares if we have Alabama ties? I am OOS with no ties whatsoever.

Nope. Their website specifically states they don't have an IS preference. Which seems to be true for all MSTPs, probably due to federal funding I'm guessing.

Hey all, so I am OOS, and average stat applicant, and received a rejection already for just MD program. Does Alabama just reject most OOS people?

Hey all, so I am OOS, and average stat applicant, and received a rejection already for just MD program. Does Alabama just reject most OOS people?

Idk the answer to this, but may I ask what are your stats? I’m OOS too and wondering if I should bother getting my hopes up

You can find the entire breakdown of applicants/interviews/acceptances on their website if you're interested, but they interviewed only about 4% of the OOS applicants last year compared to interviewing about half of the IS applicants.

Idk the answer to this, but may I ask what are your stats? I’m OOS too and wondering if I should bother getting my hopes up

my stats are pretty avg: 512 mcat, 3.7 Gpa at undergrad known for rigorous pre-med program (not trynna say it for clout, but just to add context).

You can find the entire breakdown of applicants/interviews/acceptances on their website if you're interested, but they interviewed only about 4% of the OOS applicants last year compared to interviewing about half of the IS applicants.

Ah I see, I mean I don't blame em for trashing my app, I literally left the Alabama ties essay blank.

Any early decision applicants got an invite yet?

Hi all! I received an invite to interview yesterday (yay!) and I will be interviewing on 9/5. I'm flying from across the country to interview so I reserved an Airbnb 1 mile from the interview site. As it is an entire condominium and it'll be just me flying in, I wanted to see if anyone wanted to stay there with me to lower costs. I have it reserved from 9/4-9/6 and it would be $65 from each of us to stay there. Feel free to let me know if anyone would want to do this!

Have all early decision applicants received interview invite decisions yet, or are some still waiting?

I just got an email from UAB about a webinar interviewing texhniques but inside the email it says you have been invited to interview. Did anyone that get an II get this or how was their II email? I just read interview and got super excited but idk now if it’s just a seminar so I don’t want to get my hopes up too high. Any info will help!

Thank you so much!

I just got an email from UAB about a webinar interviewing texhniques but inside the email it says you have been invited to interview. Did anyone that get an II get this or how was their II email? I just read interview and got super excited but idk now if it’s just a seminar so I don’t want to get my hopes up too high. Any info will help!

Thank you so much!

It’s not an interview invite. It’s just a monologue discussing how someone might feel once they did receive an interview invite and how the webinar can help prepare them.

Instate non-EDP here, got an II on July 31st for 9/5

Congrats!! I'm OOS too and really like UAB. Hoping they give me a chance lol. Mind sharing stats or LM?

Im also non-EDP. Interviewing on 9/5. LM 74

I wasn't expecting one this early so I'm pretty excited, UAB is my first choice.
For anonymity I'm giving approximations but MCAT was 85-90th percentile and GPA was 3.95. I feel like my ECs are pretty strong as well. Barely any meaningful research though

congrats! do you all mind sharing when you were complete?

For the required courses section, should we type the semesters for all classes that fulfill the requirements? Or is entering whatever covers the minimum sufficient? I tried calling their office, but it constantly goes to voicemail.

For the required courses section, should we type the semesters for all classes that fulfill the requirements? Or is entering whatever covers the minimum sufficient? I tried calling their office, but it constantly goes to voicemail.

I just did the minimum sufficient.

I lived in Birmingham, Alabama for 2 years, went to pre-school there, and my dad worked there for 2 years. Do you guys think this is strong enough ties to apply? My LizzyM score is on the lower end - 67 so I'm contemplating whether or not I should apply.

I lived in Birmingham, Alabama for 2 years, went to pre-school there, and my dad worked there for 2 years. Do you guys think this is strong enough ties to apply? My LizzyM score is on the lower end - 67 so I'm contemplating whether or not I should apply.

Lol I have no ties and I applied so I don't see why not. I don't personally think they'll strongly value that tie but that doesn't mean you have no chance. UAB does take some OOS applicants.

I mostly applied because I was told by a UAB rep at a pre-med fair that they don't consider IS applicants much more than they do OOS, but that more IS matriculate because the OOS tuition is pretty expensive. I've since doubted that statement a lot but I figured I'd apply anyways cause I like the school and it's mission.

Lol I have no ties and I applied so I don't see why not. I don't personally think they'll strongly value that tie but that doesn't mean you have no chance. UAB does take some OOS applicants.

I mostly applied because I was told by a UAB rep at a pre-med fair that they don't consider IS applicants much more than they do OOS, but that more IS matriculate because the OOS tuition is pretty expensive. I've since doubted that statement a lot but I figured I'd apply anyways cause I like the school and it's mission.

UAB definitely favors in state. Because of the doctor shortage in AL, UAB prioritizes IS in hopes they’ll remain in AL to work. They’re pretty open about it.