2019-2020 Arizona, Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
1. I previously applied to any medical school (select yes if you submitted a primary or secondary application). If yes, please provide specific examples that illustrate how you are a stronger applicant this cycle. (1000 characters)

2. If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them? (1000 characters)

3. What achievement are you most proud of in your life? What aspect(s) of this achievement will you bring to our medical school? (1000 characters)

4. The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix. (1000 characters)

5. Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine? (1000 characters)

6. [Optional] Please reflect on your entire application; is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, your plan during this applicant season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications. (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Arizona - Phoenix

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anybody know if it is advisable to apply here as a CA Resident with NO ties to AZ? :)

Reactions: 1 user
After Arizona, California is the next most represented state at UA - PHX (MD Program - Applicant Snapshot). While having connections to a state is always a plus, the fact that you don't have ties will most likely not kill your application. AZ is on paper friendly to OOS applicants as only 50% of the class has to be AZ residents. So I'd say go for it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

Upcoming M1 here so basically, I know nothing, but if you have any questions about UA – PHX I may be of help (not likely! :)).

From what I remember, UA – PHX is looking for well-rounded applicants (good GPA/MCAT) who have a wide variety of experiences (research, service, employment, etc.).

Financial Aid:
-
Scholarship opportunities focus more on those looking for primary care or who come from underserved/rural/URM. Scholarships

When you can apply:
-Prospective students can apply at the time of their initial application. Deadline for primary application is November 1, 2019.
- Secondary application is due 30 days after receiving it or December 2nd. MD Application Process

MMI:
-Series of 10 interview stations. You are given 2 minutes to prepare before the station and 7 minutes in each station. Each station is worth 10 points for a max score of 100.
-Scenarios explore an applicant’s strengths and weaknesses and could be based on a wide variety of different topics.
- Interview Day

CASPer:
-Not needed.

Admissions:
The first admission notifications will go out in October 15th, 2019 and continue through March 16th, 2020. MD Application Process

Housing:
There is no on-campus housing for UA – PHX but there are several apartment complexes located very close to the campus.

UA - PHX Community:
After being accepted I have been in touch with multiple upper classmen willing to give advice to new students. During the application process I found UA – PHX to have the best admission team I interacted with as they treated me with respect and professionalism. I felt they were pretty responsive too.

During the interview day, the admissions team was once again on top of things, leading the best tour of a hospital I have ever been on (who says that?!) and being willing to interact with students. UA – PHX is very hands on allowing us applicants to actually handle equipment during the tour and UA – PHX also has one of the largest clinical simulation facilities in the country (Center for Simulation and Innovation) All the students I interacted with seemed to love it there.

UA - PHX is a small class size (80) so be prepared to get to know your colleagues.

Phoenix:
Phoenix is a great place to be for medical school and, from what I can tell, we pretty much get it to ourselves. There are large hospital chains here (Dignity Health and Banner for example) running several hospitals that the students can train at (Clinical Partners). We have access to Trauma, Pediatrics, Neurosurgery, whatever specialty you desire. We have a VA and a large public health system (MIHS). There is a wide array of different patient populations reflected in the metropolitan area so there will be a corresponding wide variety of things to see.

Culturally, Phoenix has a thriving downtown scene filled with music, art, and dancing if that is what you are into. As a metropolitan area you can basically find anything you want. And if you need a chance to escape to the wild it’s about a 1-3-hour drive to get outside the city. If you need snow, then you can drive up north to Flagstaff located in the high-country mountains. Up north are also the beautiful red rocks of Sedona where you can commune with that vortex energy and find yourself if that’s what you want. If you want desert, than you can drive south where Tucson is about 1 hour away and bask in the browns and beiges.

The main negative of Phoenix is it gets hot here in the Summer. From about late May to early September expect 100 degree temperatures. Most people here do the Arizona Shuffle where you go only from air conditioning to air conditioning and don't stop or talk to people along the way. The rest of the year Phoenix has great temperatures!

-Email: [email protected]
Social media:
-IG: UA College of Medicine PHX (@uamedphx) • Instagram photos and videos
-Twitter: https://twitter.com/uamedphx
-Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UAMEDPHX/

Bonne chance mes amis!

(Post Format shamelessly stolen from the NYU thread)

Reactions: 9 users
E-mail received that they got my app...

Just received this email about receivable of my application, no secondary yet:

“Thank you for your interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. We have received your AMCAS information and over the course of the next few days, our office will begin reviewing your application.
We look forward to learn more about you and your experiences as a premedical student. We value the effort you have invested in your application and we are excited to start this selection season.
As we begin to shape our next class, you will be receiving a few email correspondences with action items you will need to complete in order to move forward in our application process.
Please keep a look out for these communications and if we can answer any questions along the way, please do not hesitate to ask. We are always a phone call or email away!”

Secondary Prompts:

1. I previously applied to any medical school (select yes if you submitted a primary or secondary application). If yes, please provide specific examples that illustrate how you are a stronger applicant this cycle. (1000 characters)

2. If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them? (1000 characters)

3. What achievement are you most proud of in your life? What aspect(s) of this achievement will you bring to our medical school? (1000 characters)

4. The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix. (1000 characters)

5. Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine? (1000 characters)

6. [Optional] Please reflect on your entire application; is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, your plan during this applicant season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications. (1000 characters)

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else received a secondary yet? I’m IS and was just hoping to be in an earlier wave :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys just list one course when it said 1 course or list everything you took for that subject

Can anyone clarify number 4 and 5 for me? I am confused on them
To me 4 is kind of a diversity essay with a tie in to how your differences / excellence will help you collaborate with your classmates better. For 5 I talked about a time when I was in a leadership position but had to be humble such as ask a subordinate for help. These two were definitely the most difficult to find an answer that really fit. Hopefully what I did works.

Are we supposed to receive a "complete" email after we submit our secondary or?

How long did it take everyone's applicant gateway account to set up? It's been almost 24 hours since I initialized the account set up (entered my email on the portal) and I haven't received any further instructions.

How long did it take everyone's applicant gateway account to set up? It's been almost 24 hours since I initialized the account set up (entered my email on the portal) and I haven't received any further instructions.

You should be able to log-in with your AMCAS username and password.

Hi Everyone!

Upcoming M1 here so basically, I know nothing, but if you have any questions about UA – PHX I may be of help (not likely! :)).

From what I remember, UA – PHX is looking for well-rounded applicants (good GPA/MCAT) who have a wide variety of experiences (research, service, employment, etc.).

Financial Aid:
-
Scholarship opportunities focus more on those looking for primary care or who come from underserved/rural/URM. Scholarships

When you can apply:
-Prospective students can apply at the time of their initial application. Deadline for primary application is November 1, 2019.
- Secondary application is due 30 days after receiving it or December 2nd. MD Application Process

MMI:
-Series of 10 interview stations. You are given 2 minutes to prepare before the station and 7 minutes in each station. Each station is worth 10 points for a max score of 100.
-Scenarios explore an applicant’s strengths and weaknesses and could be based on a wide variety of different topics.
- Interview Day

CASPer:
-Not needed.

Admissions:
The first admission notifications will go out in October 15th, 2019 and continue through March 16th, 2020. MD Application Process

Housing:
There is no on-campus housing for UA – PHX but there are several apartment complexes located very close to the campus.

UA - PHX Community:
After being accepted I have been in touch with multiple upper classmen willing to give advice to new students. During the application process I found UA – PHX to have the best admission team I interacted with as they treated me with respect and professionalism. I felt they were pretty responsive too.

During the interview day, the admissions team was once again on top of things, leading the best tour of a hospital I have ever been on (who says that?!) and being willing to interact with students. UA – PHX is very hands on allowing us applicants to actually handle equipment during the tour and UA – PHX also has one of the largest clinical simulation facilities in the country (Center for Simulation and Innovation) All the students I interacted with seemed to love it there.

UA - PHX is a small class size (80) so be prepared to get to know your colleagues.

Phoenix:
Phoenix is a great place to be for medical school and, from what I can tell, we pretty much get it to ourselves. There are large hospital chains here (Dignity Health and Banner for example) running several hospitals that the students can train at (Clinical Partners). We have access to Trauma, Pediatrics, Neurosurgery, whatever specialty you desire. We have a VA and a large public health system (MIHS). There is a wide array of different patient populations reflected in the metropolitan area so there will be a corresponding wide variety of things to see.

Culturally, Phoenix has a thriving downtown scene filled with music, art, and dancing if that is what you are into. As a metropolitan area you can basically find anything you want. And if you need a chance to escape to the wild it’s about a 1-3-hour drive to get outside the city. If you need snow, then you can drive up north to Flagstaff located in the high-country mountains. Up north are also the beautiful red rocks of Sedona where you can commune with that vortex energy and find yourself if that’s what you want. If you want desert, than you can drive south where Tucson is about 1 hour away and bask in the browns and beiges.

The main negative of Phoenix is it gets hot here in the Summer. From about late May to early September expect 100 degree temperatures. Most people here do the Arizona Shuffle where you go only from air conditioning to air conditioning and don't stop or talk to people along the way. The rest of the year Phoenix has great temperatures!

-Email: [email protected]
Social media:
-IG: UA College of Medicine PHX (@uamedphx) • Instagram photos and videos
-Twitter: https://twitter.com/uamedphx
-Facebook: University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix

Bonne chance mes amis!

(Post Format shamelessly stolen from the NYU thread)

Seconding what was said here. Another M1 here too. Hands down most impressive tour and facilities from all the interviews I went on.

Verified 7/3, received 7/9, submitted 7/15. I actually really enjoyed this secondary and am super stoked on UofA.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know whether they accept update letters? Or only after receiving an II?

Does anyone know whether they accept update letters? Or only after receiving an II?

I think the secondary says they don't accept updates after submission.

Just submitted the 2ndary! My lord, that was one of the more difficult secondaries I worked on.

I was just verified on 7/24, and am awaiting a secondary invite which hopefully will come in soon. I would be thrilled to attend here, so I'm trying to get the secondary done so I can submit it ASAP after I get the invite. Can someone help me - is the 1000 character limit including spaces? THANKS!

I was just verified on 7/24, and am awaiting a secondary invite which hopefully will come in soon. I would be thrilled to attend here, so I'm trying to get the secondary done so I can submit it ASAP after I get the invite. Can someone help me - is the 1000 character limit including spaces? THANKS!
yep it includes spaces. good luck!

Just checked the Admissions Tracker. Looks like they've sent out 33 IIs to only IS applicants, so far.

II received just now!

Scheduled for 8/12

Reactions: 1 users