2019-2020 Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Arkansas

Members don't see this ad.

If you are OOS, how/where do you upload the strong ties to Arkansas letter? I don't see a form or an upload link. ugh.

Has anyone received the secondary application yet? I have received several emails from the admissions office stating that the secondary would be sent out before August 30th but I still have not received it.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, received the secondary/supplemental on 8/29, had to fill out the pre-matriculation form and uploaded the letter of strong ties

Reactions: 1 user
If you are OOS, how/where do you upload the strong ties to Arkansas letter? I don't see a form or an upload link. ugh.

it's under the 'upload documents' section of the secondary

no secondaries but they sent me this. I am from Tristate

Thank you for your application to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM). At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial. We will continue to review your application materials, as well as any updates submitted to AACOMAS, throughout the admission process and let you know if your status changes.

Hey guys, if you are OOS, how long was your strong ties letter?
thanks in advance :)

Hi everyone! I was accepted in the 2018-19 cycle and chose to defer matriculation for a year, so I’ll be starting in August 2020 with those of you who end up in the class of 2024. Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing this season!

Is the secondary application website not working for anyone else? When I tried to log-on today, it said "Error: UnAuthorized Token has been detected by the System. Please signon with your User ID and Password." I've logged-on to the application previously without any difficulty.

Thank you! Also did you write it in letter format or like a regular secondary essay?
Thank you for the help :)

I wrote mine in a letter format, though I didn't know who to address the letter to so I just left the salutation blank. And sure, no problem!

I am 90% sure that this school doesn't actually exist, AAMC was just low on their primary app quota for the year so they made a fake school for people to apply to... but all jokes aside what's up with this school and the threads lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
no secondaries but they sent me this. I am from Tristate

Thank you for your application to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM). At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial. We will continue to review your application materials, as well as any updates submitted to AACOMAS, throughout the admission process and let you know if your status changes.
Your quoted response was from ARCOM, the DO school, not UAMS, the MD school. UAMS makes their supplemental app available to all applicants. I hope you have since received it.

Hello everyone!
I have a quick question. After submitting the supplemental application, I received an e-mail instructing me to login to GUS & complete any additional "To Do" items that may be needed for admissions. Every time I try to log in, it tells me that my Username & password are invalid. I e-mailed the help desk, & have also called IT. I have yet to hear back :/. Can anyone inform me if there are indeed other items that need to be completed in GUS? I would GREATLY appreicate any help! Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!
I have a quick question. After submitting the supplemental application, I received an e-mail instructing me to log in to GUS & complete any additional "To Do" items that may be needed for admissions. Every time I try to log in, it tells me that my username & password are invalid. I e-mailed the help desk, & have also called IT. I have yet to hear back :/. Can anyone inform me if there are indeed other items that need to be completed in GUS? I would GREATLY appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I would call and email again (maybe even call the admissions desk). They're very helpful and responsive.

Regarding my GUS experience this fall, I did not have any outstanding to-dos when I logged in to the portal, but that is likely different for everyone. I would just cut out the middle man (GUS) and call the Admissions Office directly to 1) ask about any remaining to-dos and 2) troubleshoot GUS access.

Hope this helps!

Hi there! I would call and email again (maybe even call the admissions desk). They're very helpful and responsive.

Regarding my GUS experience this fall, I did not have any outstanding to-dos when I logged in to the portal, but that is likely different for everyone. I would just cut out the middle man (GUS) and call the Admissions Office directly to 1) ask about any remaining to-dos and 2) troubleshoot GUS access.

Hope this helps!

Nicole1211,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I was finally able to get logged in to my GUS account, & it currently shows no outstanding to-do items. I interview next month, so for now, I am just playing the waiting game. Thank you again for your help!

fellow Arkansan just looking at this. Will be applying this upcoming cycle. Good luck yall.

Has anyone gotten one of the 20ish December golden tickets (early acceptance letters) yet? Or will it be another week before they are sent out?

Has anyone gotten one of the 20ish December golden tickets (early acceptance letters) yet? Or will it be another week before they are sent out?
The way I understand it they send those out on exactly December 20 and also January 20 to a few AR residents. Depending on where you live it could take a couple days to get to you in the mail. I live about 2 hours from Little Rock so I'm expecting mine to arrive about next Monday the 23rd if I get one in this wave. Fingers crossed that we both get one!

Got accepted! Package in the mail came on Dec 21. I live in Fort Smith!

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly not sure... the OOS tuition is A LOT.
Yeah; if it's really where you want to go, then go, but OOS tuition is about 65k per year with total cost of attendance being about 100k per year. If you have a cheaper option, I'd prob take it.

Has anyone who is OOS received a pre II R yet? I thought they were letting us know if we got an interview or a rejection by now.

Has anyone who is OOS received a pre II R yet? I thought they were letting us know if we got an interview or a rejection by now.
They do indeed give soft rejections after you submit secondary.

Got accepted! Package in the mail came on Dec 21. I live in Fort Smith!
Is the mail package first class/priority mail or standard? I’m still waiting and hoping

So if you're OOS and haven't received an II by now are you pretty much rejected?

I'm OOS and received my invite to interview on December 13. It was my understanding that all of the OOS interview invites went out that same day.
I didn't get mine until Dec 19. As people declined invites, I'm assuming they just moved down the list to invite others. With the interview day being so close, I'd be surprised if that's still happening though.

Does anyone know if they allow update letters? I wasn’t able to see a place to upload one on the application site. Thanks!

Does anyone know if they allow update letters? I wasn’t able to see a place to upload one on the application site. Thanks!

I finished a prerequisite class on 12/9 and sent a transcript that was received and updated in my file by 12/12, so I know they do allow some updates (I believe the application guide says supporting documents are accepted until 1/20), but I’m not sure about update letters specifically. Dr. McLachlin is incredibly nice and quite helpful, I would call her and get a definite answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone.

I’m not sure if anyone has the exact answer for this question, but how many OOS applicants does UAMS accept? I got an email this morning that said they will interview 132 applicants this Saturday which is a lot for one day.

Any insight would be appreciated and may put my nerves at ease.

Thank you!

According to MSAR, last year they interviewed 85 OOSers and accepted 13; by that proportion, they would accept 20 out of the 132. They can take more though. They really want people who will stay in AR to practice, so if you can demonstrate as an OOSer that you'd do that (you've lived here or gone to school here, etc.) then your chances are improved.

Hello everyone.

I’m not sure if anyone has the exact answer for this question, but how many OOS applicants does UAMS accept? I got an email this morning that said they will interview 132 applicants this Saturday which is a lot for one day.

Any insight would be appreciated and may put my nerves at ease.

Thank you!

Also, keep in mind that those 132 applicants this Saturday are ALL of the OOSers who will be interviewed at UAMS this cycle. I agree it's a lot for one day though.

Also, keep in mind that those 132 applicants this Saturday are ALL of the OOSers who will be interviewed at UAMS this cycle. I agree it's a lot for one day though.
I know there were some early acceptances in December. The rest find out via mail about acceptance/waitlist/rejection in late February, correct?

There are a few more early accepts for in staters going out in a couple weeks (Jan 22 I think). Then the rest find out late Feb as you said. All OOSers find out late Feb

According to MSAR, last year they interviewed 85 OOSers and accepted 13; by that proportion, they would accept 20 out of the 132. They can take more though. They really want people who will stay in AR to practice, so if you can demonstrate as an OOSer that you'd do that (you've lived here or gone to school here, etc.) then your chances are improved.

That is a bit of a misinterpretation of what MSAR shows. It shows that 13 OOS students MATRICULATED during the last cycle. They could have accepted 48, then many of the admitted students chose to attend a different college. I *wish* they revealed OOS accepted numbers, but they don't. Arkansas law allows up to 30% OOS students, apparently, although I assume they admit somewhat fewer than that. The matriculated students had slightly lower MCAT and GPA scores than the accepted students, which is evidence of at least some admittees matriculating elsewhere.

That is a bit of a misinterpretation of what MSAR shows. It shows that 13 OOS students MATRICULATED during the last cycle. They could have accepted 48, but many of the students were accepted elsewhere and chose to attend a different college. I *wish* they revealed OOS accepted numbers, but they don't. Arkansas law allows up to 30% OOS students, apparently, although I assume they admit somewhat fewer than that. The matriculated students had slightly lower MCAT and GPA scores than the accepted students, which is evidence of at lease some admittees matriculating elsewhere.
I forgot that MSAR only shows matriculation! My bad. I think US News has a similar service that shows actual acceptance numbers but UAMS doesn't release data to US News :(. In terms of what the law allows, I can tell you that 105 of the first 150 slots (70%) must be given to AR residents and equally divided between congressional districts. Up to 15% of the the first 150 can go to OOS. Seats 150-174 can be given to anyone. If my math is right, up to about 25% of the class *can* be OOS but the actual number is much lower. UAMS wants their students to stay in AR to practice, hence the strong preference for AR residents.

That said, getting an II is a big hurdle to cross. Congrats and good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I forgot that MSAR only shows matriculation! My bad. I think US News has a similar service that shows actual acceptance numbers but UAMS doesn't release data to US News :(. In terms of what the law allows, I can tell you that 105 of the first 150 slots (70%) must be given to AR residents and equally divided between congressional districts. Up to 15% of the the first 150 can go to OOS. Seats 150-174 can be given to anyone. If my math is right, up to about 25% of the class *can* be OOS but the actual number is much lower. UAMS wants their students to stay in AR to practice, hence the strong preference for AR residents.
Although technically these numbers are correct, the Admissions Committee will make the final determination on the last day of their meeting to determine how many non-Arkansas applicants will be made offers of acceptance. Therefore, the numbers can vary over the years depending on the philosophy of the Committee at the time of decision-making. The highest number I recall within the last 18 years was 29, with 13 being the least.

Reactions: 3 users
another round of early acceptances went out today

Congrats!!! Did your letter come today? Are you close to LR? Wondering if I should keep stalking the mailman or suck it up and wait for Feb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, I did the same thing last month. I'm in Northeast Arkansas, about 2 hours from LR. My package was postmarked Jan 22 and arrived today. I believe they sent them on Wednesday, but how long it takes USPS to get it from LR to wherever in AR will vary. Good luck everybody!

So I just wanted to double check. By the end of February, should everyone in state be getting a letter in the mail? The letter can be an acceptance or waitlist or rejection, correct? Or do rejections simply just not receive anything?

So I just wanted to double check. By the end of February, should everyone in state be getting a letter in the mail? The letter can be an acceptance or waitlist or rejection, correct? Or do rejections simply just not receive anything?
All interviewed applicants, in-state or out-of-state, receive a letter, whether accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. The letters go out in "late February", and should arrive before the month ends. Just so you can gauge, my early accept letter took 2 days to reach me and I'm 2 hours from LR. You might check previous years' threads to estimate about what "late February" means. Good luck everyone!