2019-2020 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California - Davis

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also do you mind sharing the prompts please :)
Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.

Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? Please Explain.

A section to enter course prereqs.

A section to enter three activities. "Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. You may use your activities listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three."

Reactions: 2 users
Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.

A section to enter three activities. "Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. You may use your activities listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three."

Thank you!!!!

@sfcd321 Do we have to describe each activity, or is there only enough space to write the activity titles?

@sfcd321 Do we have to describe each activity, or is there only enough space to write the activity titles?
Asks for activity name, type, Total Hours, evidence of accomplishment (checkbox), and section of 500 characters to describe each activity and their significance.

IS applicant, should I be worried?

Got an email but no secondary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
IS applicant, should I be worried?

Got an email but no secondary
Same! But they do screen so I’m not worried yet since I’m sure they were flooded with applications today and they’re actually going to go through them before sending out secondaries.

Is there a character limit for the first two questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody else confused about filling out the prerequisites section? They say to list unit hours as semesters. I went to a quarter system school. So when I'm entering my units for a class, do I put in the course units as 4 or 2.6?

Last edited:
Secondary received! Verified 6/3
IS LizzyM 67

How thoroughly do they double check hours for volunteering? I estimated my hours for a volunteering activity because they accidentally threw away my prior sign in sheets from 3 years and the old coordinator retired and has like no contact information so I put the manager of the nursing home as my contact, but I'm not sure how thoroughly she knows how much I volunteered

Secondary also received! IS and verified 6/25 super excited about this one since I know they screen!!

Is anybody else confused about filling out the prerequisites section? They say to list unit hours as semesters. I went to a quarter system school. So when I'm entering my units for a class, do I put in the course units as 4 or 2.6?
I entered it as 2.67

Dumb question: is the Bay Area considered a connection to Northern California? Or are they talking about more north than that (like the more rural areas).

Dumb question: is the Bay Area considered a connection to Northern California? Or are they talking about more north than that (like the more rural areas).
I’m talking about my connection to Bay Area as Northern California as well!

when they say "central California," does that include the bay area?? this is for the REACH program

FWIW, Southern California, LizzyM 67, ORM, secondary received!

Very excited!!

SZN has started and I should probably focus on these prompts instead of updating the forum :bookworm:

Received Secondary today(7/1/19) as well. LizzyM 72. IS. I had two questions that if anybody could answer I would greatly appreciate it.
1) I read and heard that UCD prefers applicants who have a connection to NorCal. How much would it effect my application not having a connection and answering the first question no? I’m asking because I have connections but they are fairly weak. But if it this significantly impacts my application I would include it.
2) For the activities section, I do not want to repeat my primary but I feel as though the prompt is asking the same thing as my primary. Should I expand from my primary and just reiterate the important points? Or what would be the best way to approach this?

Received Secondary today(7/1/19) as well. LizzyM 72. IS. I had two questions that if anybody could answer I would greatly appreciate it.
1) I read and heard that UCD prefers applicants who have a connection to NorCal. How much would it effect my application not having a connection and answering the first question no? I’m asking because I have connections but they are fairly weak. But if it this significantly impacts my application I would include it.
2) For the activities section, I do not want to repeat my primary but I feel as though the prompt is asking the same thing as my primary. Should I expand from my primary and just reiterate the important points? Or what would be the best way to approach this?

1. Not 100% as I am also an applicant, but I would say if you have connections, why not just include them and not risk it? I personally don't have that luxury, but would do so if I were in your shoes!
2. I thought the same. I think I am just going to summarize and maybe focus on another aspect in addition to what was previously said.

Is it ok if we check off 'No' for all of the scholarly pathways, or do we have to pick one (or does it look bad if we don't pick one)?

Reactions: 2 users
Is it ok if we check off 'No' for all of the scholarly pathways, or do we have to pick one (or does it look bad if we don't pick one)?
I was planning on not selecting any either. I don’t think it looks bad if you don’t select anything!

So...dumb question but the first question where it asks to discuss any concerning elements, should we consider this optional and write N/A? I don’t necessarily have anything glaring I want to discuss but it also doesn’t let you move forward by leaving it blank

So...dumb question but the first question where it asks to discuss any concerning elements, should we consider this optional and write N/A? I don’t necessarily have anything glaring I want to discuss but it also doesn’t let you move forward by leaving it blank

I have two things I'm talking about, so cramming them in that space was a little challenging. I think if you truly have nothing to discuss, putting N/A wouldn't hurt. Maybe look at last year's thread?

EDIT: On second thought, there has to be something you're not 100% with on your application. They saw it already since they "review" before secondary, so nothing will be new, so I think this is your chance to add more to your application.

Last edited:
I have two things I'm talking about, so cramming them in that space was a little challenging. I think if you truly have nothing to discuss, putting N/A wouldn't hurt. Maybe look at last year's thread?

EDIT: On second thought, there has to be something you're not 100% with on your application. They saw it already since they "review" before secondary, so nothing will be new, so I think this is your chance to add more to your application.

I actually just did some digging on last year's thread and many people said to put N/A if you don't have any red flags you can explain with special circumstances. Will quote what I found in another post!

For anyone else wondering if they should put N/A in the discuss any concerning elements question, here's what I found in last years thread. Personally I will be putting N/A! I do have a course that I retook, but I think my grade the second time around explains itself and I don't have any special circumstances to explain why I didn't do well the first time.

The general rule of thumb is to not draw attention to it. If adcom thinks its a red flag, they will ask you during your interview.
I asked some people who’ve applied before and personally put N/A. It should be fine!! Better than drawing attention to something on your app.
I put N/A and received an interview. I would only write something if there is an aspect that really stands out

Should I say yes to the regional connection if I have an extended family (step-aunt) in the Sacramento region? She came down to Socal to visit us, but I technically haven't been to Norcal... Is this a stretch?

For the prerequisites section, do we put down just the bare minimum (Gen Bio), or should I put down Gen Bio + Biochem + Genetics + Physiology, etc.?

Should I say yes to the regional connection if I have an extended family (step-aunt) in the Sacramento region? She came down to Socal to visit us, but I technically haven't been to Norcal... Is this a stretch?

I personally think it sounds like a stretch, but maybe she had hella NorCal energy and you loved it

Secondary received today! I was verified around 6/24 and I'm IS LizzyM 69

For the prerequisites section, do we put down just the bare minimum (Gen Bio), or should I put down Gen Bio + Biochem + Genetics + Physiology, etc.?
In the portal it says "You can list additional courses and labs over the minimum requirements, however, we will also be able to see those courses on your initial application." So I just stuck with the minimum!

For anyone else wondering if they should put N/A in the discuss any concerning elements question, here's what I found in last years thread. Personally I will be putting N/A! I do have a course that I retook, but I think my grade the second time around explains itself and I don't have any special circumstances to explain why I didn't do well the first time.
I took the MCAT twice and did worse the second time.... I definitely think this is concerning but I don't really know what to say about it other than it is not reflective of my intellectual ability/ I had testing anxiety.
Would it be best to address it? or not draw attention to it?

I took the MCAT twice and did worse the second time.... I definitely think this is concerning but I don't really know what to say about it other than it is not reflective of my intellectual ability/ I had testing anxiety.

I think you should? Them numbers are pretty noticeable, especially if they were taken close together?

That’s a tough call, I feel like the general consensus has been to not bring up these things unless you have a really solid reason (death of a family member, illness, etc.) because you don’t want to draw attention to it. I personally just put N/A because I don’t feel I had a good enough reason to “explain” the situation. If they want to ask me about it in an interview I’ll definitely be prepared. However, always do what feels right to you!

Hey everyone I'm an applicant from last cycle who was admitted. If you all have any questions or want some feedback I would be happy to answer!

Reactions: 3 users
just to make sure, for the courses section on the secondary, they want us to put SEMESTER hours, right?
the example they gave had quarter-based units so I wasn't sure

If I don't list a scholarly pathway, am I at a disadvantage?
I don’t believe so since there’s only a very small number of students that get selected for those programs anyways. I did not select any pathway either.

I think you should? Them numbers are pretty noticeable, especially if they were taken close together?
Yeah, they were taken 3 months apart :/ but I don't really know how to address this other than having a bad test day

Have not received secondary. IS. No ties to NorCal. Should I be worried?

Have not received secondary. IS. No ties to NorCal. Should I be worried?
i'm in the same boat but trying not to worry. it's still very early and I think they send them out in waves. here's to hoping! :xf:

If I don't have a letter from a physician/clinician, which was recommended, would that significantly lower my chances? Also will they still consider the activities from our primary or just the activities listed on the secondary? These small thoughts are stressing me out haha

Just to make sure - Bay Area is Nor-Cal right? Even San Jose/Silicon Valley area is still nor-cal right? Some people told me that Davis has its own map for it considers Nor-Cal but I couldn't find anything.