2019-2020 UC Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California - Riverside

Members don't see this ad.

Any other Haider applicants here?

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, was accepted here last year as a Haider applicant! Although I am not matriculating here, feel free to reach out with any questions you have, UCR was my #1 up until I got off the waitlist at another school!

anyone got secondary?

Reactions: 3 users
Is it worth applying here if you are not from IE? I am from Long Beach, California which is pretty close

Is it worth applying here if you are not from IE? I am from Long Beach, California which is pretty close
I would apply still, but make a point to mention your understanding of the pt population in the IE, which is roughly the same as any SoCal city, predominantly minority, Hispanics. I think if you show an understanding of the barriers that minorities face, specifically in SoCal you will be fine

Unless you have ties to the IE it will be a donation.
Not entirely true, there were a few people from outside of the IE but still SoCal that were in the class and that I met at second look. What is important is that you understand the issues that are affecting patients in the IE, and show a commitment to that population. I went to UG here, was accepted to the UCRSOM and know multiple admin/adcoms from the school of medicine through pipeline programs...

Reactions: 2 users
I just received an "application received" from UCR despite having not designated it as a school to apply to haha (and yes, I quadruple checked my school list in AMCAS)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I just received an "application received" from UCR despite having not designated it as a school to apply to haha (and yes, I quadruple checked my school list in AMCAS)

Same! I'm thinking its a hack. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is UCR biased against Los Angeles county residents at all?

Is UCR biased against Los Angeles county residents at all?

I'm an LA resident and I got a secondary last cycle. I've done extensive work with the underserved and express in my essays that I want to work with this community in the future

did they forget to send secondary? Still waiting....

• Haha
did they forget to send secondary? Still waiting....

Same waiting..
Also I am wondering if I previously lived in Cali, moved to a different state for undergrad, and came back for grad year, are you still considered an in-state applicant?

I contacted their office of admissions and the lady said to expect secondaries by mid August. She also said they’ve only sent out a few so far

Has anyone else NOT received the email with confirmation that they received our primary?

I contacted them and they said they haven't sent out secondaries yet. Wait for a week or two..

Secondary received on 7/24. Here are the prompts @PapaGuava :
  1. The mission of the UCR SOM is to train a diverse physician workforce to meet the needs of underserved communities in Inland Southern California. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission?
  2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of these values and tell us about a time that you demonstrated it.
  3. In what medical specialty or specialties are you interested? What experiences have created the foundation for this interest?
  4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.]
  5. If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us. [You are not required to use this space. You will not be penalized for leaving blank.]
There is a 500 character limit for each.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Secondary received on 7/24. Here are the prompts:
  1. The mission of the UCR SOM is to train a diverse physician workforce to meet the needs of underserved communities in Inland Southern California. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission?
  2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of these values and tell us about a time that you demonstrated it.
  3. In what medical specialty or specialties are you interested? What experiences have created the foundation for this interest?
  4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.]
  5. If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us. [You are not required to use this space. You will not be penalized for leaving blank.]
There is a 500 character limit for each.

Woah only 500 characters? :/

Reactions: 1 users
Required Science Core
Our candidates are expected to be well prepared for a curriculum in the basic sciences. Applicants are expected to cover foundational areas to demonstrate the ability to succeed in medical school. Lab course hours do not count toward total semester hours.
  • Mathematics — Eight (8) semester hours in calculus and/or statistics.
  • Physics — Eight (8) semester hours, labs optional.
  • General chemistry, organic chemistry and biochemistry — 16 semester hours, labs optional.
  • Biology — Eight (8) semester hours, labs optional.
Can someone explain what this means by lab course hours don't count?

anyone else did not get a secondary from uc riverside?

On the portal, how can you tell if UCR already received all of your Letters of Recommendation?

No secondary yet . Verified 7/2. Anyone else in the same boat? IS.

+6 I'm really wondering if they stayed in the office until now just to get these out

• Haha
+6 I'm really wondering if they stayed in the office until now just to get these out
+7 it's definitely automated. But I like to pretend they loved our apps so much they just had to send them at 1am

Does UCR screen for secondaries? If so, do they screen a lot or does mostly everyone in CA get it?

+7 it's definitely automated. But I like to pretend they loved our apps so much they just had to send them at 1am
+9. idk all the secondaries I've gotten so far from UC's have been past midnight, maybe they want us to wake up to some hope?

• Haha
+11 genuinely surprised with this one since I’ve always thought that they prefer people from IE/SoCal with a few exceptions

Are they requiring CA$Per this year? They're not listed for delivery on the CASPer site unless I'm missing something but this shows up on the status page after submitting the secondary:

9a28f215777306607b4cd2b5e1319d5e.png