2019-2020 University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applicants who in this cycle who already have an active TMDSAS application in the system can now apply since it was recently approved by LCME to take applications. So we wanted to go ahead and post an official discussion thread for this school after @wysdoc had contacted me about the news!

Thank you wysdoc!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Applicants who in this cycle who already have an active TMDSAS application in the system can now apply since it was recently approved by LCME to take applications. So we wanted to go ahead and post an official discussion thread for this school after @wysdoc had contacted me about the news!

Thank you wysdoc!
Anyone interested in applying to this new MD school for EY 2020, watch your email for an announcement from TMDSAS which will tell you exactly what to do.
1. Your primary app will be your standard TMDSAS app.
2. Wait for the email with instructions, but you will probably use the internal messaging function on your TMDSAS portal to ask them to send your app to University of Houston.
3. University of Houston will read and screen your primary, and selectively invite applicants to file secondary essays.
4. Interviews will happen in March and April so respond quickly if invited.
5. You ARE allowed to apply even if you have another offer of admission.
6. This school will still abide by TMDSAS deadlines like no offers after May 15 to those with other acceptances.
7. The first class will be only 30 students.

Members don't see this ad :)
The curriculum looks amazing. Excited for this opportunity! :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Looks awesome, does anyone know their hospital affiliations?

Reactions: 1 users
Happy Valentines Day everyone! Hoping for a love letter from TMDSAS in regard to the new school :love:

Happy Valentines Day everyone! Hoping for a love letter from TMDSAS in regard to the new school :love:

Idk if you mean the now accepting applications message or a message stating your app has been transmitted to UH. The now accepting applications email was sent a little after 8am, and I got a message within TMDSAS portal that my app has been transmitted to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Idk if you mean the now accepting applications message or a message stating your app has been transmitted to UH. The now accepting applications email was sent a little after 8am, and I got a message within TMDSAS portal that my app has been transmitted to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I meant the now accepting applications message. I never got one. I sent an email to the TMDSAS admin. Hopefully I see the box checked next to UH on selected schools here soon. And hopefully a secondary is in my future. Goodluck everyone!

Last edited:
Also applied here! Already matched into Long but the $100k scholarship and chance to stay at home in Houston is too good to pass up. Go Coogs!

Looks awesome, does anyone know their hospital affiliations?

The full list is speculation at this point, but I'm pretty sure part of their new campus is going to include a teaching hospital and I think that I read a year or two ago that one of their goals was to improve coverage at the VA hospital at DeBakey, so that'll likely be a main spot for rotations.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like they'll be getting a lot of primaries in. Only good things can happen with 30 more medical seats opening up. A lot of shifting of seats and WL's being pulled. They'll want a strong first class motivated to work in Family Med.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I didn't see anything about MCAT or GPA cutoffs to be considered for this first-class on their website and I sent them a note to find out but haven't heard back. If anyone else hears back or has info related to this, please share.

Same thing for grades (whether they will be pass/fail) and if the classes are PBL and/or lecture-based!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't see anything about MCAT or GPA cutoffs for this first-class on their website and I sent them a note to find out but haven't heard back. If anyone else hears back or has info related to this, please share.

Same thing for grades (whether they will be pass/fail) and if the classes are PBL and/or lecture-based!

Thanks!
They probably haven't established any "cutoffs" for this truncated application period. Apply if you are interested, your TMDSAS primary is already in the system. They will be reading the primaries and selecting, not everyone will get a secondary to fill out.

They probably haven't established any "cutoffs" for this truncated application period. Apply if you are interested, your TMDSAS primary is already in the system. They will be reading the primaries and selecting, not everyone will get a secondary to fill out.

Agreed.

To my fellow applicants: they likely won't have official cutoffs (especially for a 2 month cycle), but keep in mind that there are tons of qualified applicants in the great state of Texas. Don't set yourself up for disappointment thinking that because they are a new school that they'll have easier academic qualifications by any means or that it at all improves your chances to get one of their highly coveted spots.

If your application speaks to them, you'll get an interview. Hope for the best, but certainly don't expect anything from them. They could probably get away with interviewing as few as 100 people out of 5,000 applicants and seat an excellent first class.

edit: in fact, given a 30 seat class, I could see them interviewing 20 people each Friday in March and the first two of April. That'd give them 4x the number of interviewees as seats they have and they know that they only need extend maybe 32 offers to fill 30 seats.

TMDSAS has sent my primary to UH, fingers crossed we get secondaries soon

It sounds like they'll be getting a lot of primaries in. Only good things can happen with 30 more medical seats opening up. A lot of shifting of seats and WL's being pulled. They'll want a strong first class motivated to work in Family Med.
I'm honestly happy that its 30 more seats because hopefully I'll get off the WL to my dream school

Reactions: 6 users
Agreed.

To my fellow applicants: they likely won't have official cutoffs (especially for a 2 month cycle), but keep in mind that there are tons of qualified applicants in the great state of Texas. Don't set yourself up for disappointment thinking that because they are a new school that they'll have easier academic qualifications by any means or that it at all improves your chances to get one of their highly coveted spots.

That's fair. My question was more so thinking that, because there are tons of qualified candidates that they'll have to review in a three-week period (or so) before their interviews start in March, they will need some objective way to dwindle down the number of primary apps they review. I know they are looking for mission fit, but I was just curious if they'll have academic minimums that will serve as the base to then find candidates that fit the mission. Either way, as you mentioned this is going to be a very competitive process. Wishing everyone luck, regardless! Time will tell how this all plays out!

Last edited:
Just curious can i still start a new TMDSAS for this cycle or it is closed?
The chance to file a TMDSAS application for the 2019-2020 cycle closed on October 1, 2019.
You can apply to this school for next year, start working on the 2020-2021 TMDSAS app after May 1 2020.

If you already have an acceptance somewhere, is the deadline for UH to accept you still May 15th?

is TMDSAS admin sending confirmation messages to all that sent "please transmit my app to UH" on the message portal?

So will there be any type of “pre-match” like situation Or will it be rolling acceptance or will all acceptances be released on the same date?

So will there be any type of “pre-match” like situation Or will it be rolling acceptance or will all acceptances be released on the same date?
These kind of "predict the future"questions are un-answerable.
It will be a whirlwind short application cycle, so try to quickly respond to any emails from this school or from TMDSAS.
There can't be a pre-match because it's after Match Day for this cycle!

When did you send your message through the portal? Mine still hasn't been transmitted.
3 minutes after they sent the email that the school was accepting applications. lol it was at some point in the 8 o'clock hour and I was ready and waiting for it.

Calm down y’all. I’m sure TMDSAS is swamped with requests to transmit. Good luck to everyone applying. I’m happy with where I matched.

The curriculum looks amazing. Excited for this opportunity! :love:
I agree the curriculum looks great. I think the 18 month preclinical phase will be even better for students now since Step 1 is P/F

Calm down y’all. I’m sure TMDSAS is swamped with requests to transmit. Good luck to everyone applying. I’m happy with where I matched.

Some people did not match, or aren’t happy with their match, and are just eager and excited at the possibility to apply to another school this cycle. Congrats to you though!

Reactions: 10 users
Well I messaged tmdsas at 8:07 am and I haven’t gotten a confirmation.

Did you send the request per the directions in the email with UHCOM as the subject?

yes, sent the message on tmdsas with subject line uhcom and I said I would like to add the school in the body of the message. Whatever, nothing I can do over the weekend.

yes, sent the message on tmdsas with subject line uhcom and I said I would like to add the school in the body of the message. Whatever, nothing I can do over the weekend.
When it’s been transmitted, UH is checked in the school list on the select school tab... at least that’s what happened to me. I also think they’re responding to everyone, just may take a little time.

Last edited:

Agreed about TMDSAS being swamped and thank you for the well wishes. The last sentence wasn’t needed tbh but I also echo the earlier post, Congrats on matching!

Last edited:
I messaged TMDSAS like 2 minutes after they sent out the email around 8am(ish). I got the "transmitted to school" message at around 10 am. They probably are just really swamped with (possibly thousands) of emails. So, I'm sure by Monday they will get a lot of requests done.

I submitted mine too. Three years of no match, here goes a Hail Mary!

Does anyone know what the rule for out of state applicants is? Will it be the same 90/10?

Does anyone know what the rule for out of state applicants is? Will it be the same 90/10?
Yes. All Texas Medical Public Schools are required by law for 90/10. It also states it under their FAQs page. That doesn't mean they will take 10% of OOS though, 90% is the minimum.

Last edited:
Will someone please post notice if they receive a secondary? Thanks!

I called. They’re not looking to send secondaries until next week after they test the system and make sure there are no errors between TMDSAS and transmission to the school. The secondaries won’t be additional essays just an acknowledgement that you want your app to go further. From there, they’ll send out invites for interviews based on mission fit and acceptances will be semi-rolling, happening a third at a time. No MCAT or GPA hard cutoffs, at this time... they’ll be looking to see improvements and upward trends to address low GPA/MCAT, however, using a specialized algorithm.

Reactions: 30 users
Anyone else send a message to TMDSAS* about adding UHCOM and not heard back yet? I’ve even checked status and my application has not been sent to UHCOM. My message was sent on 2/14 at 10am. Should I send another message or call at this point? I realize it’s only been two business days but time is of the essence.

Anyone else send a message to TCOM about adding UHCOM and not heard back yet? I’ve even checked status and my application has not been sent to UHCOM. My message was sent on 2/14 at 10am. Should I send another message or call at this point? I realize it’s only been two business days but time is of the essence.
you mean a message to TMDSAS, right?
They are probably closed today (President's Day holiday), check your portal at mid-day tomorrow and if you don't see what you expect, give them a call in the afternoon.

Definitely meant TMDSAS! And I didn’t even think about them being closed today. I’ll check tomorrow. Thank you @wysdoc.